Does anyone Really drift like it was used originnaly?

• Thread starter Picc84
  • 62 comments
I drift for fun and show. But at sometimes if i am racing and i get a little squirley i will drift the car to keep from spinnin out.

i would't call that drifting then...just because you counter-steer, that doesnt mean your drifting. its power-sliding. "drifting" is a term that gets thrown around a little to easy. :ouch:

P.S. even if it were faster, the .5-1 sec you would gain would be negated by the 20-30 sec pit stops every 3 laps

BS, S2000's don't have torque.

neither do f1 cars, but torque doesnt win races or drift events.

but i have won a few races on xlink while drifting. bearly had any smoke or angle at all. but its because of the way the car is. but with a stock lotus elise 190 on n3's is hard to not drift while racing to try and get fast times.

Actually, it was a touge, mainly downhill, and the road was too narrow to attempt any reckless passing, the FD was fast, I don't say that he wasn't and he seemed just to be testing the XRS, but the XRS was roaring down the road. The FD's power was negated due to the road's harsh corners, and he couldn't get by the XRS on the narrow corners. Plus, the XRS's driver knew the corners well enough to get a few feet away from the FD when entering them, though on the exit the FD caught up.

Unfortunatly in real life, I drive an FF, which hopefully will be tunned soon into an EVO 4 conversion, but still... I'm stuck with E-brake and grip racing.

BBC Tv?

The Amuse AP1 does great with just N2 tires

This is a stock Amuse Ap1 at 250hp it seems fragile but its a good car. I think Sheron can do a better Speed run.

Can i bother you with where you got that video from?I luv Top Gear

EDIT : Whoops! I meant to ask about the video that Wolfe posted

heh, you just need to look up old F1 videos before the downforce era kicked in to see that four wheel drifting was the quickest way around the track. How I wish I was slightly older to have seen those races.... ;)

Nowadays though the only place you're really going to see it as an advantage is with rally cars, as others above have pointed out. Race of Champions events are great to see the balance between excitement and speed I think - this year it's at Wembley!

Can i bother you with where you got that video from?I luv Top Gear

EDIT : Whoops! I meant to ask about the video that Wolfe posted

That's from "Jeremy Clarkson's Motorworld", Japan episode of course ;) I'm sure it's around the web somewhere.

heh, you just need to look up old F1 videos before the downforce era kicked in to see that four wheel drifting was the quickest way around the track. How I wish I was slightly older to have seen those races.... ;)

Nowadays though the only place you're really going to see it as an advantage is with rally cars, as others above have pointed out. Race of Champions events are great to see the balance between excitement and speed I think - this year it's at Wembley!

You also need to remember that pre down force era F1 racing tires were... utterly inferior by todays standards. They had fairly low grip that it didn't matter nearly as much to keep them from spinning.

You also need to remember that pre down force era F1 racing tires were... utterly inferior by todays standards. They had fairly low grip that it didn't matter nearly as much to keep them from spinning.

Oh no doubt, and tyres will ALWAYS be the final denominator - I'm just illustrating how drifting around corners was the quickest way around a track, it's infeasible to imagine F1 cars ever being faster around a gran prix track by pulling the slides that were prominent in the F1 golden years with the technology around nowadays. People also seem to forgot that a little slip is good in the tyres when racing and shouldn't just see it as "grip" and "drift".

Ultimately to answer the post question anytime one has any amount of wheel spin, times will be slower than one who doesnt have any wheel spin...except as it has already been pointed during a hairpin or such.

What do you mean "like drift was used originally"??? To entertain was it's purpose, but isn't that the purpose of any automotive sport?

What should one do to make his config useful for both grip and drift racing?
Like , whenever i use my RX7 (AIDS off, barring that unmodified) in a race i cant really ''grip race'' because its so oversteery.

I suggest AIDS off ALWAYS even when gripping seriously. I suggest having low to medium power engine set-up, with suspension that is good enough to get good traction, considering high compound tires are harder to slide, try roads or a low compound tire to slide it when you want.

Ok, maybe my thought of what i read was wrong... heres the question...

Does anyone drift races? (for speed)?

Well, yeah... I drift through some corners that actually help me being faster, for example, Citta di Amali((Correct me please, it's the last of the city tracks)), it's two last corners, are two very tight hairpins that require you to slow down too much, so I just drift through them.

Drifting, as I see it, was originally to find faster ways down the mountains by Japan's early touge racers, including Keiichi "The Drift King" Tsuchiya. I think that, people don't use it literally as it was originally intended, concidering that drifting has moved more into a show, rather than an actual race, because of media coverage. I rather go up to the mountains, and see how people drift, like it was originally intended.

It was originally done because it was fun and felt fast. I autocross, and on those tight courses, drifting is fun, but grip is generally MUCH faster, regardless of car or tires.

And "Drifting" has been around longer than the Japan drifting.. it was used back on old dirt track racing. It is NOT something new, its been around since motorsports basically existed. So please stop thinking the Japanese created it... cause they didn't. They did make into a fad like thing though, probably by bringing it to the streets.

No he didn't, he drifted because he always won the races so he drifted to keep people entertained. Drifting is only faster on really tight hairpins in rally and stuff like that. Otherwise drifting isn't faster. The drift king himself said he drifts not because its the fastest way around a corner, but the most exciting way.

I don't think he was referring to Keiichi Tsuchiya, whose nickname is "Dorifto Kingo".

I think he was referring to Rolling Thunder (a team whose purpose was to set the best times possible on mountain courses. This was referred to in Tokyo Drift, when Han said, "Drifting was invented in the mountains."), the team who INVENTED drifting. They were racing down mountain courses (an activity still popular today in Japan, referred to as "touge", which literally mean "mountain pass"), and as you know, mountain courses are frequently filled with hairpin curves. They found that instead of slowing down to an almost painful speed, drifting around it is much faster.

The japanise righting Suzuki? i can see it, how you write in japaniese?

and Wow, this topic is still going? man...

You want to see people drifting the way it was used originally?

32.JPG

fab-hudson-hornet-07.jpg

That, and,

Petch-pirelli1.JPG

And If I could find some decent 1900s racing, I'd put that up, too.

Let's face it, there is a time when you'll go faster sideways than straight, and that's when the traction goes goodbye. most often, that's on dirt. or on impossibly narrow tires.

I find it impossible to drift on asphalt using the controller, (and D-Pad...I learned on that, I can't use the stick for anything) and my rally driving looks clumsy, so i really only drift when the pavement goes bye-bye. There have been times I've counersteered due to error, but otherwise I'm a gripper in GT4.

Not that I haven't tried to Drift...I just need a wheel to do it right.

To quote Doc Hudson...

"This is Dirt, son, not asphalt. You don't have the grip so you've gotta pitch it in hard, Drive real loose, and steer with the throttle. Give it too much, you'll be out of the dirt and into the Daisies."

The idea of Touge drift has become popular, and it is faster at some points because the corner's so tight that tires have to break loose if any decent time is to be made. But that doesn't change the fact that on a 1-mi horse-racing track, even with it's broad, sweeping turns, You don't have the grip to, well, grip. And since that's where American racing really got it's start, you could say we've been "Drifting" longer than the Japanese!

long live jimi!
but none of that was on asphalt. and most of it was the days when tire technology was crappy to todays standards. f1 used to drift occasionally, because they are driving 700+ hp on tire of today that would have like a 500 treadwear rating. so they were forced to go sideways. drifting as a sport on asphalt was started in the mountains of japan, then after 10+ years it actually became a sport in japan.
The japanise righting Suzuki? i can see it, how you write in japaniese?

and Wow, this topic is still going? man...

はい、日本語です。 あなたわ日本語がわかりますか?
well, obviously you can see it.
search google for your question and you shall find your answer.

Tires back then were Bias Ply technology, which likes a higher slip angle compared to todays Radial tires. Having raced on both, I can tell you Bias Ply is much more forgiving, almost begging you to drive them sideways. Bias Ply tires have a real soft 'edge of the envelope' feel to them, while Radials tend to lose grip suddenly, mostly due to sidewall stiffness, and the fact that Radial belts make the tread blocks much stiffer.

long live jimi!
but none of that was on asphalt. and most of it was the days when tire technology was crappy to todays standards. f1 used to drift occasionally, because they are driving 700+ hp on tire of today that would have like a 500 treadwear rating. so they were forced to go sideways. drifting as a sport on asphalt was started in the mountains of japan, then after 10+ years it actually became a sport in japan.

i use this type of driving especially with my Viper. its only when i drive with the racing mediums and i need to gain speed around corners. like when i get out of my corner, i just floor it and then i just speed to the next corner.

its just mixing grip and drift like a flat touge

I seriously don't think drifting is faster than grip, because drifting is basically the controllable oversteering... and oversteering would slow a car down...

In another word, I think walking forward is faster than walking sideway.

Maybe drifting would be faster only on certain turns where getting a car set up for the next corner would be faster than gripping it.

and in that case luwee, sometimes it is faster! that is why you always here, only in certain circumstances is drifitng faster.
in GT2, on the cornering test, the AI that golds it almost ALWAYS driftis a little.

Back