Does anyone use a DS3 with a PS4 / PS4 Pro ?

• Thread starter ROCKET JOE
  • 20 comments
Germany
Ludwigsburg
RocketJoe1-61
My first thread here - not sure if this is the right place for it or if something similar already exists ?

Got me my PS4 Pro a few days ago and noticed that the DS4 is not very ergonomic to me to say the least.
It's a bit larger than the DS3 and the sticks are very short ( I use them for throttle / brakes and steering ).
I have some quite special handling of the DS3 which seems impossible with the DS4,
and since driving was always working fine for me, I think about porting the old controller to the PS4.

Does anyone have experiences here - what do you guys think ?

AFAIK the only way to use a DS3 controller with PS4 is using a device like CronusMax which relays authentication to a DS4. :boggled:

Thanks for your answer 👍.
I've read and heard about CronusMax and other adapters of course. Would be great to know if this has already been tested.
The reason why I posted here in the GT Sport section was to find out, if the DS3 has enough basic functionality / reliability
to work with PS4 / GT Sport before I buy an USB adapter.

Last edited:
My first thread here - not sure if this is the right place for it or if something similar already exists ?

Got me my PS4 Pro a few days ago and noticed that the DS4 is not very ergonomic to me to say the least.
It's a bit larger than the DS3 and the sticks are very short ( I use them for throttle / brakes and steering ).
I have some quite special handling of the DS3 which seems impossible with the DS4,
and since driving was always working fine for me, I think about porting the old controller to the PS4.

Does anyone have experiences here - what do you guys think ?
You can get add on thumb grips to raise the height of the sticks. They cost about £5 in the UK. I'd provide a link but my phone isn't behaving itself at the moment.

DS4>>>>>DS3

You say, the DS4 is way better than the DS3 in terms of technical quality, right ?

No reason here to doubt that.

What I'm talking about though is its ( physical ) dimensions :
The sticks are too small and the distance between them and the shoulder buttons is too long -
if I don't want to change habits and use it like the DS3.

You can get add on thumb grips to raise the height of the sticks. They cost about £5 in the UK. I'd provide a link but my phone isn't behaving itself at the moment.

Didn't know that ... great. That would probably solve one of my problems easily :).

@privatejoker is right.

But dear OP I would suggest you to use DS4 more. For the first time you may need to adapt. Me playing with DS4 more I am feeling the DS3 strange, lol.

@privatejoker is right.

But dear OP I would suggest you to use DS4 more. For the first time you may need to adapt. Me playing with DS4 more I am feeling the DS3 strange, lol.

Thanks for your impressions m8.
Meanwhile I found thumb grips @Tired Tyres recommended - will test these.
No idea what I will end up with though :confused:.

It took me a few weeks to adjust to the DS4 as well.
Unlike the Xbox 360 controller I just could never adjust to, it stills feels too wide and the offset sticks meh.

XXI
It took me a few weeks to adjust to the DS4 as well.
Unlike the Xbox 360 controller I just could never adjust to, it stills feels too wide and the offset sticks meh.

I use the DS3 right like a remote of an RC model ... thumb and first finger at each stick ... very precise :D.
We got to be thankful that the Dualshocks don't have an Xbox-like offset :cheers:.

This thread will probably get moved to the console gaming area, but here's a few good side by sides.

I never really noticed the sticks being a bit shorter, just the DS4 being longer...
2389512-8074357100-ds3ds.png

But you're right it definitely beats offset sticks.
Xbox-One-vs-Xbox-360-controllers.jpg

@XXI
Shorter sticks, longer DS4 ... that's my two problems.

I'm still quite new to posting here, so I hope the mods will leave this thread here -
I wouldn't find it again :lol:.

But why would anyone do that? The DS4 is light years better then the DS3 :D The DS3 is so bad i started to buy 3rd party controllers for my ps3 :)

I just might be a noob when it comes to judging the quality of a controller - all I can say is
I always felt ok with the DS3.
Like I mentioned before it's the ergonomics of the DS4 that do not seem to fit.

PS Congrats, only 39 days left ...

XXI
This thread will probably get moved to the console gaming area, but here's a few good side by sides.

I never really noticed the sticks being a bit shorter, just the DS4 being longer...
View attachment 666930

But you're right it definitely beats offset sticks.
View attachment 666931
Yeah, I've compared the DS3 and DS4 in real life and the DS4 is huge in comparison. So much to the point that I can't use it because of my small hands.

Yeah, I've compared the DS3 and DS4 in real life and the DS4 is huge in comparison. So much to the point that I can't use it because of my small hands.

Yes, I completely understand.
You either have Hulk hands to reach the shoulder unable to operate the tiny tiny sticks ...
or the opposite :banghead:.

DS4 is a heavy cow, hands get tierd so fast. DS3 is nice and light could game for hours.

:lol: A couple of ways to describe it. Good to see that I'm not the only one.

I opened this thread to maybe find someone who has used the DS3 with the PS4 ( with devices like CronusMax ) for whatever reason -
and share his impressions.
I still have a little hope !

I preferred the DS3 as well, the extra distance to the DS4's triggers makes racing games a little awkward for me but I've become more comfortable with it over time. Have you looked at extenders for the DS4's analog sticks?

I have already ordered some ... as long as you're talking about thumb grips ( Is it what you call extender ? ).
Haven't mounted them yet though.
It's just like you say : Extra distance to the sticks ( which are very small if you want to operate them with two fingers ) +
extra distance to the shoulder buttons.

Back