Does chassis refresh actually do anything?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Goshin2568
  • 34 comments
  • 10,444 views
Messages
803
United States
Waco, TX
Messages
GTP_Goshin2568
Messages
Goshin2568
I've read about this and also noticed myself that no matter what whether you extremely destroy your car or drive it one mile untouched, it still "requires" a chassis re stregthen or whatever. My question is does it actually do anything, because it seems unrealistic that no matter how far I drive the car it still is available to be done. So, will beating up a car and not doing the chassis thing actually affect the performance?
 
I'd say it will become more evident once people start getting the faster cars such as the Formula GT's and X1, as once you get to these levels the difference between your car and the AI cars becomes much less.
 
Ya how do you know?
 
I noticed it. I have a turbo Mazda Axela that I race a lot. Accumulated about 100,000 worth of damage. I noticed the lap times dropping a bit after the chassis work.

I'm fairly sure it matters, since I am quite consistent with my lap times.
 
After I got my 458 I decided to test drive it. I was curious as to what the chassis restore was so I clicked on it and the price to "restore" the chassis was half of what the car was originally worth (it is like that for almost every car). Anyway, I didn't do it at the time seeing that the car was brand new. I tuned my car up, did a ton of races in it and gradually saw that the handling was getting looser and looser. Went back to GT Auto and did the chassis restore and the car was back to its old self.
 
After I got my 458 I decided to test drive it. I was curious as to what the chassis restore was so I clicked on it and the price to "restore" the chassis was half of what the car was originally worth (it is like that for almost every car). Anyway, I didn't do it at the time seeing that the car was brand new. I tuned my car up, did a ton of races in it and gradually saw that the handling was getting looser and looser. Went back to GT Auto and did the chassis restore and the car was back to its old self.

good to know :dopey:
 
After I got my 458 I decided to test drive it. I was curious as to what the chassis restore was so I clicked on it and the price to "restore" the chassis was half of what the car was originally worth (it is like that for almost every car). Anyway, I didn't do it at the time seeing that the car was brand new. I tuned my car up, did a ton of races in it and gradually saw that the handling was getting looser and looser. Went back to GT Auto and did the chassis restore and the car was back to its old self.

I don't mean to discount at all what you're saying, but isn't it possible that it's just in your imagination at this point?

KY has even come out and said that mechanical damage will be added later via patch.

Also, the price of the chasis restore, never changes, ever! It is always half the price of the car's dealership price.

I'm still not convinced the Chasis Restore option does a thing, except give you (and myself) peace of mind. I believe it will play a major role once mechanical damage is added via patch, but until then, I still don't have documented evidence to believe that Chasis Restore does a thing.

I would love to be proved wrong, honest.
 
Last edited:
I don't mean to discount at all what you're saying, but isn't it possibly that it's just in your imagination at this point?

KY has even come out and said that mechanical damage will be added later via patch.

Also, the price of the chasis restore, never changes, ever! It is always half the price of the car's dealership price.

I'm still not convinced the Chasis Restore option does a thing, except give you (and myself) peace of mind. I believe it will play a major role once mechanical damage is added via patch, but until then, I still don't have documented evidence to believe that Chasis Restore does a thing.

I would love to be proved wrong, honest.

Maybe it is... I'm just speaking for my experience. I post fairly regular times on tracks and I did notice my 458 wasn't as sharp into the corners as it used to be before the restore. I say some cars are half of the value because the go kart costs 5,000Cr. to restore... and it costs 5,000Cr. to buy a new one. Also, my Chromeline cars and Preorder bonus car only costs 500Cr. to restore.
 
Well I have tried with a few cars. Ferrari, Lamborghini, maserati and alfa romeo are all quite expensive to fix. And I did not know untill now that that was based on the new price of the car.

So now I bought a R32 GTR and I have raced it alot, some crashing too (While learning the Nurburgring)

Anyway, the car seems to handle just the same as it did before. And the laptimes also tell me the same story.

This also goes for the ZR1 that I use to grind money on Indy.. same laptimes after alot of crashing.


I wonder how this damage patch would affect expensive car use, specially online. I would not want to pay 500 000 after each online race if some dude in a WRC rallycar (yeah, the bumberboys favorite!) bumps into me 1st corner of each race..
 
Also, my Chromeline cars and Preorder bonus car only costs 500Cr. to restore.

True.
I think PD gave a little "bonus" to those who got the CE by giving real cheap Chasis Restores.
Although I don't know what the Chasis Restore option does quite yet, if anything.
 
Ya, I really don't think it does anything. Anyways, the fact that you can do it even when you just drive one mile and don't crash points to that too. I wish someone would just know for sure.
 
I bought a really old yaris (300,000 on the clock) and spent about 100,00cr trying to get it to keep up with the stock ones in the Vitz race... then i tried the restore and i flogged them all... just sayin'
 
I've noticed my Minolta actually improve in handling with the refresh. However, this came about from Bob-Spec driving, not my own. In order to boost experience, I had been using new Bobs in the minolta in the 80s cup. Little did I know that not only did the chassis need repair, but the engine required a 500k overhaul. I'm fairly sure I'm only going to allow B-Spec to run my 7 chrome cars from now on.
 
It feels similar to previous gt's.. what I am 80% about is that once you crash, the chassis fix is available and it costs half the price of your car at all times... I m feelinf that the chassis gradually gets worse very slow... non super cars don't worry about.. but when your bread and butter race car that you know exactly how it feels starts acting up... do it......

Now I am guilty of this... and I say this just for advis... but sometimes we are to worried about making the wrong choices that we don't truly see/feel what's goibg on... this will fasde once we get a lil used to it... but for some, if you don't break that habit, your gonna handicap your progress... typing on phone as always so excuse my form lol.
 
I'm having to assume that my 90s skylines and 300 ZXs are so crap that chassis repair doesnt matter. I've crashed them well and good, but the chassis restore hasnt made a jot of difference. Good thing the option wasnt very expensive for these cars-
 
i had that mintola toyota race car and when i 1st got it, it was very stable lately tho i seem to be losing the back end i repaired it and it seems stable again... this could be a placebo effect but i doubt it on a slighty different subject i been workin the pants off my mintola and she only ever needs a oil change to restore her full power never had to do a rebuild
 
Yesterday I did some testing....

F40 prize car, unused Chassis refresh cost: 0
1 lap of High Speed Ring in practice, no crashes, refresh cost: 225,000

Lamborghini Murciélago LP 670 SV (purchased)
Unused: 0
1 lap HSR, no crash: 197,000

Ferrari California 08 (prize)
unused:0
1 lap HSR, no crashes : 118,000

Ferrari 458 Italia (purchase)
unused: 0
1 lap HSR, no crashes: 141,500

Pagani Zonda R '09 (Prize)
unused: 0
1 lap HSR, no crashes: 500,000

5 incident free laps of HSR costs 1,181,500 cr

Additional laps / races have not added any more to the refresh costs. I can also confirm that my pre-order bonus stealth cars only ever require 500cr of refresh damage, but it is after virtually every race and doesn't increase with subsequent races.

Body refresh better not do anything, because if it does this kind of cost for racing is ridiculous. Obviously this must be a bug, but I would dearly like to hear some confirmation from PD and like to know when it will be fixed (and if they will reset to 0 current outstanding refresh costs) :nervous:
 
Reshelling a car will cost the same no matter the mileage. You could do it after just one race, but that would be throwing money out the window. Sounds quite logical to me...
 
i think PD should release a patch to include on all cars a graph/bar or something that shows the weakness and how twisted the cars chassis become, or at least something to gauge when our cars are becoming weak.
 
Reshelling a car will cost the same no matter the mileage. You could do it after just one race, but that would be throwing money out the window. Sounds quite logical to me...

Aha you using the term reshelling has helped me out here. It's an issue of interpretation.

Basically the fact that the Body Rigidity Refresh is available (for the fixed fee of 1/2 the car's price) isn't an indication that it is actually necessary at a given point. Only your own understanding of it's handling (and mileage on the car) can give you an idea when it is actually necessary. And the cost of the service isn't an indicator of how reduced the body rigidity it is.

Ok yes that does make sense.

I think many of us were thinking that since the option to do the refresh is available that meant it is actually necessary at that point. :dunce:
 
I for one am ridiculously pissed at the cost of chassis refreshes or more to the point, how necessary they are. I sat for the last couple days plugging away at Bspec just to get the Zonda R prize car. Once I got it, for my own amusement I drove it for a while and kept an eye on my best lap times on a couple particular tracks and then did the Chassis Reinforcement in the tuning shop separate from other mods to see what kind of difference it made (which by the way was pretty striking.) Doing that is what made me pay attention closely enough to discover that after 2 championship races on GT All Stars and a couple pretty solid shunts due to getting tied up with the AI pillocks the performance has fallen off pretty sharply. Moreso than any performance gain that was to be had by the chassis reinforcement and then some. It's kinda cool that the game has the depth that it does for something of this nature to be in the game at all, but the cost (500,000 credits- REALLY KAZ?) relative to how quickly chassis reinforcement becomes a necessity is utterly retarded. One or the other has to change, or hopefully there's a way to switch that crap off in a future patch which I highly doubt. I now want a money hack for no reason other than to negate this crap. :irked:
 
I remember my lambo SV becoming very tired.
That's the best way to describe it
The steering became lazy.
Just felt like it had past its better days.
Was strange.
However after after reading this i am almost certain if I "reshelled" it, the car would be awesome again.
What I actually did do is sell it and got a Toyota drift car thing. And as my wheel has just broke, that was a good move :P (don't like racing without wheel... Drifting however is fun)
 
My Lambo has been bumped about a fair bit but I haven't noticed anything.

Going to try hotlapping for 30 mins in a cheaper car, smash it up, then see if I can reach the lap times again.
 
Erm... isn't there a car damage indicator where the tyre wear indicators are?

It never does anything, so far as I can tell, but this would fit precisely with an announcement that damage hasn't been fully implemented yet, and it seems a very logical and convenient place to have such a thing.

Whether it's realistic that resotoring the rigidity on a car that's barely had a scratch might be debateable, but it's totally unrealistic that you cannot tell how damaged it is. Especially since some of this damage is coming from 200mph head on collisions with brick walls.

While we can't know for sure, my personaly feeling is that much of the improvement people notice is due to psychological effects. Partially because others report no improvement at all, partially because I know just how strong such effects can be (much stronger than you'd ever imagine without studying it properly). I'm sure if you tell a real driver his car might have some serious structural damage, it would affect his lap times even if the car was actually perfectly OK. The ridiculously expensive restore may be no more than a placebo to fix what is only a percieved or visual problem.

I'm pretty sure the oil change and engine overhaul do work though, and that is at least easier to test with 100m sprints or whatever similar tests GT5 has to offer.
 
isn't it a little stupid that an oil change on a brand new car gives you added horsepower? especially when the oil looks okay. Also to note, if you race your car once or twice and change the oil it will bump your hp again!

I really hope the patch shows us how damaged the car is! I sort of understand the one price fix because its basically saying they are "re-shelling" your car, so its X cost no matter what, you just have to decide when you need it.

BUT in real life you could spend less and improve less, so that should be an option, same goes with the engine, you could spend $100K and restore the whole thing or just $20K and get partial restoration, they really need to make that an option.
 
I wonder how this damage patch would affect expensive car use, specially online. I would not want to pay 500 000 after each online race if some dude in a WRC rallycar (yeah, the bumberboys favorite!) bumps into me 1st corner of each race..[/QUOTE]


When you're online, your car doesn't even put any miles on it. I tried it out and it doesn't ruin the chassis, dirty the car, or break down the oil. Nice to know cuz I have some expensive cars, and i don't see spending 500,000 cr every time i want to drive my enzo or bugatti. After finding this out I decided to drive the majority of my cars online only, and only drive the ones i need offline.
 
Last edited:
I do think that it makes a difference, however i don't think it makes an immediate difference. Think about it if you drive once and change the oil, it doesn't really do anything (unless it's still new), but if you let it go long enough it gets dirty looking and reduces hp. I think that it works the same way for chassis repair. I have a zr-1 rm fully modded, and have put 1,000 miles on the odometer. At 1,000 miles i rebuilt the chassis and the engine, and it felt like new money. I would like to have a guage though to let you know when it actually NEEDS to be done, like the oil where you can check the guage or just look at your hp, mabye we can get this in a future patch.
 
Chasis rigidity is not influenced by crashes (in GT). The chasis rigidity drops due to constant stress occuring during races. I remember in GT4 i've had a toyota minolta, and it got really sluggish in turns after couple endurance races. So i restored rigidity and it felt like new. Restore rigidity when you feel that your car is not what it used to be.
 
Back