Does it sound right to you?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tagger
  • 32 comments
  • 2,490 views
Messages
454
Messages
Craig.Kast
Messages
Tagger68
Has anyone been around older model vettes who can attest to whether the AM Vette sound in game is close to the real thing or not? Just curious. I know the AM is a one of a kind setup and likely has a one-off exhaust system. But, I thought I'd ask.

Personally, I wish it had a little more growl to it. But, I like it when a car talks back under throttle. On that same line of thought, it would be nice to add some beefier exhaust to some of the cars. The Mustang sounds too relaxed. The ones I hear on the roads around town with a good set of pipes sure sound sweet. I'd like to hear more of that in the game.
 
Not too convinced about many of the car sounds in Prologue to be honest. They have improved over GT4, and the last major update seems to have improved engine sounds but the V8's still don't sound deep enough. Many other games nail the engine sounds. I remember the flat four of the Impreza in Colin McRae games sounding fantastic, and many of the PC sims have great engine sounds - really rough and raucous. The sounds in Prologue are a bit too clean and whiney (rather like this post is starting to sound!).
 
I can't say if it sounds "right" but it's too quiet for me. I use sound to judge when to shift and I find myself hitting the rev limiter because it's so quiet. So I switched to auto trans. The torque and horsepower curves of the engine both roll off at redline so the AT setting works well with this car.
 
GT needs to tone down the wind sound a bit and turn the engine noise a bit :)
 
I agree the wind sound is overpowering, and the engines all sound a bit neutered.

You could argue it's speaker quality or some such, but that Youtube video sounds better than GT5P going through the same set of speakers here, and that's been compressed and filmed with a little handheld camera. Hell clips from a phone sound better than GT5P somehow.

I don't understand what it is they're missing though. They've improved vastly since GT4 without a doubt, and the AM Vette and the Z06 do sound very nice in the game (especially if you switch to the chase camera) but they don't even approach real life.

I find the in car sounds unbearable on the TVRs since the update (they weren't great before) and the M3 also sounds horrific IMHO.

Given how they seem to be recording the sounds, with all those microphones, it's incredible they're so gutless.

If only they gave a tenth of the value they place on graphics to sound. I doubt it's ever going to happen though. They just don't seem to get the importance of sound, and it seems KY's intention is to continually chase the perfect graphics until he gets too old to see the difference anyway... :)
 
engines sound ok (not perfect) if wind sound was not that high
 
You guys that are having wind issues, try changing the sound to "Small Theater" instead of "living room" I use a home theater system and I hear less wind with ST. Sometimes I use the TV's speakers and listen to music or whatever from my DVR. Even with the TV's speakers, there is less wind with ST. If you're using the bumper cam, the wind is really noisy too.

Simply though, if they give us audio controls to adjust whatever elements we want, that would be the best thing to do.
 
What contrasts it for me, is to compare Gt5P with TOCA race driver. The engine sounds on that game were comparatively awesome. Particularly the pops and bangs on overrun. This is a characteristic most prevalent on the tuned cars. All that unburnt fuel finding it's way into the exhaust system creating these sounds.
 
I allready posted that vid dude:)but you are right though...that is what it should sound indeed:tup:

spyrrari.
oh yeah, sorry, my mistake! But yes, i want that spitting idle too, not to mention the muscle up top !
 
The AM Vette sounds about as bad as the tuned Viper sounds more like a UPS truck than a Viper.:grumpy:
 
if you dont have a 5.1 surround sound or bette; i dont think anyone can complain on the sound.
 
if you dont have a 5.1 surround sound or bette; i dont think anyone can complain on the sound.
i do have 7.1 surround, a full home theatre system, Pioneer LX-70, Monitor Audio Speakers, its all decent enough. And while I'm not complaining about the sound per se, I really would have thought it would be better, considering all the effort that is put in to get the sound right. Its a huge improvement on GT4 of course, hearing the tuned 'vette tuned on 7.1 for the first time was glorious. But overall the cars are a bit of a let down, sound wise. Too many of them lack depth and..... well... soul.....
 
if you dont have a 5.1 surround sound or bette; i dont think anyone can complain on the sound.

I have 5.1 surround. And, after hearing the AM vids, it's apparent that PD simply fails when it comes to accurate sound reproduction. I'm not a whiner normally. But, c'mon. The difference is incredible even on a low/mid quality video versus what the game offers. And, like a previous poster noted, there's no overun or burnoff sounds either. That's all part of what makes your hair stand up when you actually go in person to a race and listen to the cars run. Of course, this is just my opinion. And, my hearing isn't what it was 20 years ago. But, I think there is a huge difference.
 
I just got done playing GT5p, and I went straight to youtube to do some sound comparison from in my head.....the tones seem to be there for most of the cars in the game, but some of them don't seem like they are mixed very well, and it is obviously lacking the "soul" that makes the car seem alive, as others have mentioned. They're close, they are better than previous GT games, but it's still not quite there. I think Forza has some fantastic sounds, and is one of the reasons I barge in at my buddy's house to play it once in awhile just for that.

Maybe we'll be in for a surprise for the next update, but I'm not counting my chickens....it's unfortunate, really.
 
The sound in GT is recorded while babying gas pedal. On the first hear from youtube vid, the car has growl and burble never never heard in GT.
 
Maybe there's more to recording an engine sound then we think?

Sure you can point a mobile phone at a Ferrari and record a spine tingling reproduction of it without any planning or equipment whatsoever, but perhaps when you're lumbered with thousands of dollars of recording equipment and all the time you want with the car in a quiet environment with no background noise, maybe it's really difficult to make what you record actually sound like the car you're recording, instead of a household appliance with the bass turned up slightly?

I just, don't see how they go so wrong?
 
Maybe when you're recording that Ferrari with a mobile phone you're recording the actual sound the car is making when someone is revving it, or whatever.

Maybe when they're recreating that sound in the game, they've had to record the sounds but then align every single milisecond of a different sound with every tiniest movement of the "throttle" throughout the full rev range, then do the same thing for the various different angles from which you can hear a sound in GT (for example, not only the interior, exterior and so-on during the race, but also the doppler effect as a car passes in a replay) and then do the same thing again for every single car they've modelled.

Digitally recreating an accurate sound isn't as simple as recording it and then slapping it over the top of gameplay...
 
I just, don't see how they go so wrong?

It's not about equipment, it's about what to record, where to record, how to process that in PCs and mainly about good programmed sound engine. You need conditions where only engine sound has to be heard, no parasite sound. For every car, you need to record its sound in every rpms where it significantly changes, for example idle, 1500 rpm, 3500 rpm, 7000 rpm. Then there are layers of sound and they are substituing each other on the fly as you rev the engine in the game. The more layers, the more accurate sound. And to be more complicated, there even should be variations of sound layers for some positions of gas pedal and variations of sound layers in front of car and behind exhaust. And when you see and hear the replay, that's 16 layers perfectly matched for every single car and working well on the fly. And when you hear 16 cars, there are 256 channels for PS3 to mix on the fly and that's only engine sound. A lot more channels are used for another effects.
 
Last edited:
I don't understand why the sound of your own engine suddenly stops when somebody is beside you. I understand being able to hear the other guy, but why does my engine go silent?
 
While I appreciate (from a layman's viewpoint) the technical barriers to an accurate recreation of engine sounds, this game has been in development for years. Simply put, I expect better. Maybe the full release will address sound better. It would be nice to enjoy the Mustang sounding like it's supposed to. As it is now, I don't care to drive the car.
 
Maybe there's more to recording an engine sound then we think?

I can do these using a £10 mic from maplins and a 5 year old pc which actually reduces the sound quality alot and then put them into GTR2 and it can still sound better than what pd can do in GT5p,its really not that hard if you have some idea of what to do.






[

I don't understand why the sound of your own engine suddenly stops when somebody is beside you. I understand being able to hear the other guy, but why does my engine go silent?
Because the exhaust is louder.
 
why are pd so bad at sound- if you think about it- sound and graphics are linked if you know what i mean. you see good graphics and hear good sound
 
I got a little chubby listening to those :)
 
awesome sounds, espacially those ferrari v12's... man loved those days^^


but the sounds in gt5 can be better, i want to hear that twitchy shifting etc^^ also i think the sounds now are to flat.
take the (gt tuned) viper it needs more power/noise
 
Back