Does it sound right to you?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tagger
  • 32 comments
  • 2,491 views
i want to hear that twitchy shifting etc^^

It's funny you should mention that, as I found when I first got the G25 and played it with GT5P, it suddenly dawned on me why the engines had always sounded so lifeless, it was the shifting.

The way even on manual when you shift, it just cuts the power until the revs drop, then puts it into gear at the right revs and continues rising in the next gear, but what you really want to hear, is when you put the throttle down a bit earlier than letting the clutch back in, which you can do with the G25. It's hard to explain properly though to be honest.

I'm sure it's terrible for the gearbox and sounds dreadful in a lot of cars, but suddenly the F430 sounded a big step closer to what a manual F430 should sound like (even if it is just in my head :scared:)

The update has made the F430 a lot worse sounding inside the cockpit though for me, not sure if many others agree on that...?

If only it sounded like this (notice complete lack of wind noise compared to the sheer roar of the engine as it accelerates...)


EDIT:

I need the noise from that Cobra replica in my life. I can't believe I just watched a video of a guy driving around for 10 and a half minutes :)
 
Last edited:
Because the exhaust is louder.

It isn't that the exhaust is louder, though of course it should be. I think since the last game update its changed, and instead of 'adding' the sounds together (your car and the exhaust of the car on your front quarter), they've chosen to silence your car. Its almost like they want to keep the dynamic range of the sound within certain parameters. This really goes against the grain, with many people having full 5.1 (and more) that can utilise a great dynamic range and depth. They could do so much more to enhance the audio, i only hope they do.

It's funny you should mention that, as I found when I first got the G25 and played it with GT5P, it suddenly dawned on me why the engines had always sounded so lifeless, it was the shifting.

its funny you should mention that too ! I've only used clutch a few times on my G25.... but yeah, it spices up the audio on the gear changes dramatically !
 
Last edited:
I reckon the sound in a game is one of the most important factors, all you need to do is listen to the interview with one of the devs of Race Pro and you realise that it is possible to get cars to sound good, it just has to be something the developer realises is a key part of the experience.

The cars in GT5P just sound too vacuum cleaner'ish, it's like (I'm not sure about technical wording) but they get the one 0.1 second segment of the recorded sound and repeat it to sound like a continuous noise. If it sounded at least as good as PGR4 (The actual quality may not be that great, but it sounds how it should) and if they then added the PD finesse from there, it would be perfect.
 
Back