Does purchasing digital version after playing disc version for a year retain progress?

• Thread starter applemango
  • 35 comments
Colombia
Colombia
Hi there. Newbie here. I've been playing GTSport for a year now with the disc that came with the console and I have reached level 45 but now I'd like to buy the digital version to save swapping discs all the time. I understand that I would have to uninstall the disc version before I can download the digital version but my concern is over my game progress. Some people say that it will retain the progress and some say it won't. If it doesn't keep my progress then it's not worth the purchase. Does anyone know for certain what will happen?

Yep. It'll work fine with the swap to digital. Mine did anyway.

Thanks, did you have to uninstall the disc version first?

Another thought... if after uninstalling the disc version and installing the digital version my progress is not retained what happens if I reinstall from disc? Will the progress be retained that way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thought... if after uninstalling the disc version and installing the digital version my progress is not retained what happens if I reinstall from disc? Will the progress be retained that way?

Save data is separate from the game data so your progress will be safe after the switch. Honest.:D

Edit: 'did you have to uninstall the disc version first?'

Switching to digital means the disk install's overwritten and you'll have to update again. No way around it unfortunately.

Last edited:
Yeah you have to uninstall the entire game and download the 96 GB is at by now. I wanted to do the same but asked for a refund (of the digital version) since I still had a bandwidth cap. Even now, I can't not race for the time it takes to re-install the entire game over the internet!

I don't even know if the eject button still works. I buy other games digitally so I don't have to take the gts disc out of the drive :lol:

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for your thoughts on this. I'll give it a go and see what happens. Fingers and toes crossed but at 100Gb it'll take a while on our 20Mbps connection!!

The digi version is only around $30 at the moment so not too bad really.

Actually, one further sanity check. Do I need to subscribe to PlayStation Plus in order to upload the save data so I don't lose it or will it remain in local storage either way?

Last edited by a moderator:
PS+ is a good safeguard but the save file on the console will be secure.

This is nothing to do with the reinstall but with only one copy (no PS+) of the save, it might be an idea to do a periodic back up of the save file onto a flash drive. There's been a few threads on here about corrupted saves so probably better safe than sorry.

I did that and it worked fine.

I realized quickly that GTS would be a game that I want on my PS4 at all times.

You do have to uninstall the disc version though.

All that matters are your online saves and those are tied to your psn account.

PS+ is a good safeguard but the save file on the console will be secure.

This is nothing to do with the reinstall but with only one copy (no PS+) of the save, it might be an idea to do a periodic back up of the save file onto a flash drive. There's been a few threads on here about corrupted saves so probably better safe than sorry.
A backup save for GT Sport is useless on cloud or a USB if you have 1 PSN account.

I moved from a disk based GTS to a digital version and while my garage and credits remained intact, I lost all of my recorded lap times.

No big deal for me though.

How is it useless though? If you haven't got PS+, you only have one save file so it stands to reason that you'd try and protect it from corrupting.

Because a save game on cloud or USB will not overwrite the server side save if you had a corrupt game on the server.

How often do we see corrupt server side saves though? I've read about it handful of times so what you're warning about seems to be a rare occurrence.

How often do we see corrupt server side saves though? I've read about it handful of times so what you're warning about seems to be a rare occurrence.
It is rare but it can happen, so if you got 1 account don't waste your time putting the save on cloud or USB because it will be no good. Once the server side save game gets corrupt for GTS, you just have to call Playstation support for help.

It's extremely rare.

For Joe Public who never has an issue, it's good practice to back up your save file if you don't have PS+.
A USB is no good either once you have cars go missing from your garage or a corrupt save, a save on your USB will not overwrite the server side save.

Last edited:
A USB is no good either once you have cars go missing from your garage or a corrupt save, a save on your USB will not overwrite the server side save.

Again, it's extremely rare for a save to get corrupted on the client or server side. You're basically doom mongering about a seldom seen problem.

If this all goes well next thing to do is replace internal HDD with this bad boy:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2F3741/?tag=gtplanet-20

Crazy how much they've dropped in price over the last year. No wonder the PS5 is switching to them.

Oops. Didn't notice it was a hybrid drive.:ouch:

It should be good for the load times but game installs will eat the NAND buffer and drop you down to the platter's speed pretty quick. Worth bearing in mind.

You could get a 1TB SSD for the same money but if you install a lot of games, a hybrid is a decent trade off.

It'll definitely help with load times with its 8GB of memory but that 8GB soon saturates with installing.

As a guess, you'll be looking at around 120MB/s read/writes so it's a bit quicker than the console's original drive anyway.

I switched to a 1 tb ssd and ps4 pro
With a 2 tb external for games i dont care about.
Barely notice a difference. The ps4 has a bottleneck that doesnt allow the full speed of the ssd to be realized. Only a modest 10-20% gain i hear as i havent timed it.
I mostly hoped it it would load into lobbies a little quicker and be ready to go.

I dont get why they didnt utilise the hd and the optical drive simultaneously to load even faster for disk users.

Back