Does the AI have the same assists you do?

United States
Mississippi
kthulhu-x
Just curious about this. I have been playing with all assists off, but I was curious if the AI has the same, or if there are certain ones they have enabled by default. I looked around but couldn't really find an answer as to whether or not anyone knew, more just about which ones I should/shouldn't be using.

According the replays with the race info turned on, they apparently only use ABS. But they're probably using a special simplified physics model to reduce the load on the CPU that allows them not to need other aids.

Last edited:
According the replays with the race info turned on, they apparently only use ABS. But they're probably using a special simplified physics model to reduce the load on the CPU that allows them not to need other aids.

Don't forget the "stuck to the track" assist. Have you ever tried punting or sliding one of them off the track - it is not as easy as them doing it to you. I get bored every once in a while and practice my offensive driving - I suck at it!

Its been well known the AI drives on a completely different physics model than you... their fuel econ tyre wear is different and they have advantages you dont. Their upgrades are maxxed and they dont have any issues with traction or stability. They still DO have issues with braking though to comical effect.

eg. i notice when the AI is on their inlap, ie. lap going to "box" ie. pit, they seem to have infinite power, zero fuel consumption and tons of grip.

If I'm overtaken by someone who is driving like Mark Webber on fire I dont even bother to get in their way. Their pit crew just asked him to come in.

Last edited:
They have online physics, so they can't rollover or do high jumps but their grip level is identical to yours.
They do use assists but in the replay they are hidden apart from the ABS (which is set to weak).
They use manual transmission even if the replay shows "automatic", Stability control (ASM), while TCS gets activated automatically when they "feel" wheelspin and gets deactivated when they regain full control of the car.

Last edited:
In any racing game the AI will never use the same physics engine as the player, it's just a huge waste of CPU resources.

In any racing game the AI will never use the same physics engine as the player, it's just a huge waste of CPU resources.
GT physics aren't really a problem to be handled by the player and the AI as it is already pretty simple, so not really a problem for the CPU, in fact on GT5 they had the same physics as the player, they could rollover and jump without big deal.
On GT6 they switched to online physics to make them race on custom track without worrying they could rollover ruining the experience for the player

Last edited:
GT physics aren't really a problem to be handled by the player and the AI as it is already pretty simple, so not really a problem for the CPU, in fact on GT5 they had the same physics as the player, they could rollover and jump without big deal.
On GT6 they switched to online physics to make them race on custom track without worrying they could rollover ruining the experience for the player

Being able to roll and jump doesn't mean they're using the same physics. GT physics engine is not the most advanced in the market as we all know but it's still pretty detailed, detail which AI doesn't need. Having 20+ cars constantly running all of those calculations would quickly cripple even the best CPUs.

Obviously PD don't reveal their inner workings but with Project CARS for instance they used a simpler brush model for the AI cars, where the player cars used the more advanced system.

Ian Bell
Why does the AI have physics different from the human player?

Because more than two instances of the player physics we run would kill a standard PC. We run a brush model for the AI as do the main competition for the player car.

Being able to roll and jump doesn't mean they're using the same physics. GT physics engine is not the most advanced in the market as we all know but it's still pretty detailed, detail which AI doesn't need. Having 20+ cars constantly running all of those calculations would quickly cripple even the best CPUs.

Obviously PD don't reveal their inner workings but with Project CARS for instance they used a simpler brush model for the AI cars, where the player cars used the more advanced system.
In fact GT Sport AI already runs with online physics which is a simplefied physic model compared to the offline one (used by the player), this also allows racing from big distances from car to car without framedrops (like in project cars), the only difference between Gran turismo AI and Project Cars AI is where their physics model gets affected, Project Cars AI has a simplefied tire model meanwhile Gran Turismo AI has a simplefied gravity model.
(Sorry for my bad english) :boggled:

Last edited:
I'm surprised how AC managed to get 16 cars running on the PS4 with its physics model tbh, considering how other games always tend to simplify the physics

In fact GT Sport AI already runs with online physics which is a simplefied physic model compared to the offline one (used by the player), this also allows racing from big distances from car to car without framedrops (like in project cars), the only difference between Gran turismo AI and Project Cars AI is where their physics model gets affected, Project Cars AI has a simplefied tire model meanwhile Gran Turismo AI has a simplefied gravity model.
(Sorry for my bad english) :boggled:

What do you mean by gravity model?

I'm surprised how AC managed to get 16 cars running on the PS4 with its physics model tbh, considering how other games always tend to simplify the physics

I’m impressed by how Cities Skylines can have 16000 cars running at the same time :D

Last edited:
Don't forget the "stuck to the track" assist. Have you ever tried punting or sliding one of them off the track - it is not as easy as them doing it to you. I get bored every once in a while and practice my offensive driving - I suck at it!

And here I always thought the AI cars were just loaded with concrete. :lol::lol:
Gotta love the gas, brake, gas, brake on corner exit too.

Back