Does the PC version have to be downloaded?

• Thread starter RikkiGT-R
  • 23 comments

RikkiGT-R

GT: IamValhalla
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Rikki_GTR
IamValhalla
After reading that F7 will require a 100Gb install, I really don't want to have to download that much, but I can't find a disc version anywhere to buy (or pre-order at the minute). Does such a thing not exist?

My home broadband is fast enough (40/20 download/upload) but the 22Gb demo still took several hours to download, so 100Gb looks like an all night job and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

As far I know, there wasn`t a disc version for forza Horizon 3 for PC, so I guess it will be the same for FM7 and it will be download only.

Yes, you have to download it. Strictly speaking FM7 is not available on PC - what you're buying is an Xbox One game that you can also play on PC thanks to the Play Anywhere functionality. Even if there was a disc-based version you'd still need to download a 50gb day one patch to fully experience the game (although, according to T10, you'd still be able to complete the career mode without it).

Preloading should be available, possibly starting tomorrow. So unless you have a data cap, you shouldn't worry too much about this.

Yes, you have to download it. Strictly speaking FM7 is not available on PC - what you're buying is an Xbox One game that you can also play on PC thanks to the Play Anywhere functionality. Even if there was a disc-based version you'd still need to download a 50gb day one patch to fully experience the game (although, according to T10, you'd still be able to complete the career mode without it).

Preloading should be available, possibly starting tomorrow. So unless you have a data cap, you shouldn't worry too much about this.

Yikes... looks like I'm gonna be making the biggest download of my life. Thankfully I don't have a data cap :D

....just a patience cap :banghead:

Having said that, could I not buy the Xbox One disc and install that to PC? :dunce:

Yikes... looks like I'm gonna be making the biggest download of my life. Thankfully I don't have a data cap :D

....just a patience cap :banghead:

Having said that, could I not buy the Xbox One disc and install that to PC? :dunce:
Nope they're not technically PC compatible. For pc you need a digital copy.

Pretty sloppy way of distribution but oh well.

I'm planning on starting the download before work and then it should be done well before I'm back home.

To be fair FM7 flagged up as ready to play shortly after I started installing it on my PC. I don't think you have to wait until the full game downloads.

Does anyone know if there is anything else we need to do before release to trigger any additional pre-load or install of files on the PC version?
I have already pre-ordered and it downloaded a few small files that I saw. Only took a few minutes to do that so the bulk of the game is yet to be downloaded and I would just like to know if I need to keep the xbox app running or if I need to go click something or what. This will be my first digital download of an xbox app on the PC [aside from the demo of course]

I was a bit taken back by PCars2 I pre-loaded the 40 some odd gigs but then when it unlocked it took longer to unpack the files and install than it did to download so I was setting there waiting for about an hour as I made the mistake of telling it to install on the mechanical HDD rather than the M2 drive.

Anyway if any one has any specifics would be good to know.

To the OP with a 40mb connection that demo should have downloaded in about 1 1/2hrs I would think. I have a 100mb here at it took less than 30 minutes

Does anyone know if there is anything else we need to do before release to trigger any additional pre-load or install of files on the PC version?
I have already pre-ordered and it downloaded a few small files that I saw. Only took a few minutes to do that so the bulk of the game is yet to be downloaded and I would just like to know if I need to keep the xbox app running or if I need to go click something or what. This will be my first digital download of an xbox app on the PC [aside from the demo of course]
Full preloads will likely be available after tomorrows Xbox/Windows store update. after 10am Pacific time open the window store app, find FM7 and there should be a button either labeled "Install" or "Update". If you have already installed the placeholder files then you can also click your profile pic in the store app and select "Downloads and Updates" From there click on the "Get updates" button and the store will check for any updates available. When FM7 shows up on the list click the download button to begin.

I just logged into the xbox app to see if the I could start the pre-load and see that it started automatically currently 74.6 gb of 95.3gb :)

Edit: Got up to 81 gigs downloaded then errored out :(

Edit2: Even worse I made the mistake of clicking the retry button and it went back to 0 and started over now erroring out at 58.58mb:mad:

Last edited:
The Windows 10 version doesn't appear to be downloading for me at the moment either, it freezes and then errors every time it hits 58.58mb too.

Other updates and programs are downloading fine, so I'm going to leave it now and try again in the morning. Frustratingly I kicked it off just before I left for work this morning, got home and it had errored so I had left the laptop on all day for nothing.

I'm guessing it's a strain on the servers the game is being downloaded from, so hopefully it won't be as bad tomorrow.

Edit: Didn't take my own advice and decided to try one more time and it's now at 4.06gb so I'm going to leave it while I'm in bed as it'll take a couple of hours and hog the bandwith.

If it errors again I might leave it until Thursday, hopefully I'll have it ready for Friday morning before work because if not I won't get any time on it until Sunday after that.

Edit 2: Errored again so I'm leaving it until tomorrow or Thursday.

Last edited:
I'm at 75gb out of 95gb and I keep getting Windows Store errors. It refuse to resume the download. Rebooting didn't fix my issue

I managed to get the download to work. Initially it got to 81 gb then failed. I hit restart and it got to 58.58mb and failed. I tried this multiple times and rebooted a few times along the way but failed at 58.58 every time.

A few hours ago I clicked the x to cancel the download then clicked the updates button and the download of forza started agin though this time it looked different. All of the failed attempts showed both Forza 7 and Forza 7 ultimate edition in the queue and both showed the error code. After canceling them and clicking the get updates only Forza 7 appeared in the queue and it downloaded to completion in a little under 3hrs with download speed ranging from 60-80mb/s or at least while I was looking.

Now that the download has complete it shows Forza 7 Ultimate edition installed and modified a few minutes ago under recent activity.

So to any who are still having the problem try clicking the x and then the updates button and see if that works for you too.

I'm just glad I upgraded my broadband last month as without that upgrade I would be over my cap already for the month and would have to pay an additional $10-20 just to load and play the game.

Mine kept getting stuck at 58 MB. I did what the link said and now it's up to 31 GB. The internet at my school is a lot faster than at home, so hopefully it can get it finished.

I started it off downloading agin this morning before work and it's downloaded fine today, Forza 7 downloaded, there's beer in the fridge and Manchester United are on TV soon :), I think the traffic on the servers yesterday must have been too much in my region.

Started downloading (Ultimate Edition) about 10 minutes ago and have 1Gb downloaded already. Not too bad, might even be finished by morning....

I downloaded it on the Xbox last night. Went pretty smoothly this time after failing multiple times on the PC before.
I noticed that the download on the XB1 was only 67gb compared to the 95gb on the PC. I wonder why that would be?

I downloaded it on the Xbox last night. Went pretty smoothly this time after failing multiple times on the PC before.
I noticed that the download on the XB1 was only 67gb compared to the 95gb on the PC. I wonder why that would be?
The 67GB is for the game, the rest for the VIP and car packs.

The 67GB is for the game, the rest for the VIP and car packs.

I find that hard to believe as even without the VIP or car packs you still have the same content in game, it is just locked so you can't drive those cars.
When I pre-ordered on the PC it downloaded several megs and showed VIP, Car pack and such installed then several days later downloaded 95gb

The PC version contains the 4k assets that will be patched in for Xbox One X users in November. Game will be the same size on 1X and PC, but on Xbox One or 1S it will be smaller since there are no 4k assets.
That makes a lot more sense

Back