Does your car have a name?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joey D
  • 45 comments
  • 1,786 views

Joey D

Premium
Messages
48,062
United States
Lakes of the North, MI
Messages
GTP_Joey
Messages
GTP Joey
I've been in quite a few conversations about this with various car guys/gals. Some say that if you really love your vehicle and it's a part of your life you should name it, while others think it's merely a chunk of metal and it's rather idiotic to name it. I subscribe to the idea that cars should be named, it gives them more character.

I started this when I owned the Blazer, she was called Shelia. I have no idea where I got the name for it other then maybe from one of the earlier Red vs. Blue episodes with the tank.

The Cooper is named Gawain, as in Sir Gawain, one of King Arthur's knights. I figured it was fitting since the car is "British" and will serve me, faithfully, for many years.

So, does you vehicle have a name?

I really hope this hasn't been done before, I gave a search before hand but I tend to always overlook something like that.
 
Greyhound - my current 300E
Schnauzer - my first 300E
Frankenbenz - my girlfriends recently sold 240D
we haven't picked a name for our recently purchased 500SE yet
other cars I owned but didn't name
 
we'v got a few cars, the newer ones are harder to name cos they have no character lol but our series 1 landie is called paxo (PAX on the reg, not much thinking there) and mines called dave...
i know someone who calls her micra John Travolta :odd: reasons beyond comprehension lol
 
My dad's BMW is named Helga... I know.
I plan on buying an Opel Kadett and naming it Oliver.
 
As some of you may know my dearly-departed Jetta was known as Jenna. I did that mostly because I liked the name, and a good friend of mine who shared it demonstrated how kind and devoted she can be when in need. Jenna was a great car, and certainly I'm very sad about how things had to end.

As for the upcoming M3iT purchase, I've already decided that I'm going to name her Tachikoma. You know, after the fancy robot from Ghost in the Shell... Loyalty, dependability, and that cute/spunky nature (not to mention attitude) I presume shall define my experience with her. I just have to buy it.
 
I plan on buying an Opel Kadett and naming it Oliver.

i liked Oliver. anyway, when we had our mercury mountaineer, which was totaled in a head on collision with a drunk driver, my freinds and i named it "Tank" (it was more of a nickname than a proper name) because it was big, green, and slow.
 
My Jeep? Old Man Withers....he has a hard time breathing and likes to sputter as well as "cough up" oil :lol:
 
My Integra's been dubbed Britney... because it's ugly, beat to hell and back, ridden hard, acts like a crack whore all the time, past its prime, and quite frankly, used to be way more beautiful 5 years ago than it is now.

I think it fits.
 
My Integra's been dubbed Britney... because it's ugly, beat to hell and back, ridden hard, acts like a crack whore all the time, past its prime, and quite frankly, used to be way more beautiful 5 years ago than it is now.

I think it fits.
:lol:
 
My defunct 1960 Chevrolet Biscayne - "Biscuit"

I called my first car, a 1992 SC300 "The Battlewagon"

And the 2003 Saab 9-3 I drove for a year and a half "Ranting Swede".

My 1994 E320 Wagon is called either "Nerdwagon" or "The Pirate Ship" depending on the situation.

:dopey:
 
The 1993 Escort 2-door I used to drive was named The Bronco in tribute to Jack Black's line in the flick Orange County.

"GET IN THE BRONCO NOW NOW NOW!"

And it's a badass name for the most unbadass car out there.

My brother's ex mkII Golf was named The Neusp because of the Neuspeed decal it had on the side windows. That car was badass.
 
I'll list all the cars names' I can remember.

1989 Dodge Daytona = White Dragon
1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 = Storm
1989 Nissan 240SX XE coupe = The Ninja
1998 Nissan 200SX SE-R = She Devil
1995 Nissan Maxima SE = Black Beauty
1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS = The Beast
1991(?) Ford Thunderbird = The 'turd

I didn't keep the Prelude long enough to name it, same with the P71 along with the rest of the list which contain 4 cars. Even my 2005 Focus ZX5 didn't get a name that I remmeber.
 
I dont name my cars.


I just dont get it :yuck: Ill hear a friend refer to his car with a name and I damn near fall out laughing. It just sounds so odd to me. Plenty of people do it, so whatever. Just seems odd IMO.
 
Haha well to be honest I don't call my Jeep a name, I just call it a Jeep.
 
As I've said people name their cars because they have some sort of bond with them and it gives them character. Mini owners I'm finding out a notorious for doing this, I haven't met one yet that didn't name their car.
 
The girls (my wife and daughter) call my car "Bobby". I call it "The Renault" or "My Car" (thanks Microsoft) or "The Espace". Susan's car is called "Bertie" by the girls, "The Audi", "Your Car", or "The A2" by me.
 
I dont name my cars.


I just dont get it :yuck: Ill hear a friend refer to his car with a name and I damn near fall out laughing. It just sounds so odd to me. Plenty of people do it, so whatever. Just seems odd IMO.

I agree. It's a tool to get me from A to B and nothing more.

If you name a car you might as well name your toaster or blender.
 
My printer is named Mohammed..

:p
 
My 69 Camaro is called "Illusion" and its the only car I have ever named. Its mainly a marketing tool for business and also when you get into magazines its easier for people to remember your car if it has a name. It does seem pretty stupid and I never even thought of naming my car until I started doing my own side business. When I talk to other people I never call it "Illusion". lol Its just my 69 Camaro.
You dont really need a name for a car to get into a magazine. Heathers 67 Mustang got into Popular Hot Rodding and it doesnt have a name.
 
I agree. It's a tool to get me from A to B and nothing more.

If you name a car you might as well name your toaster or blender.

Dont get me wrong, I love my car, and try my best to take care of it. So its a bit more than a tool, its also kind of a hobby. Just no silly names.
 
The only car on the lot with a name is the Excursion. It is alternately known as Big Red as it is big and red.
It is also call The Behemoth at times, usually in parking lots with short, narrow, non-slanted spaces.
 
As I've said people name their cars because they have some sort of bond with them and it gives them character. Mini owners I'm finding out a notorious for doing this, I haven't met one yet that didn't name their car.

Quite right. My assumption would be that Volkswagen and Subaru owners are very similar as well. Although, I can't be completely sure...

I named my first car (the '93 Fox) the "Purple People Eater" because she was in fact purple and faster than most would expect. That, and it sounded "mosterous" as well with the broken exhaust.
 
a friend of mine used to have an old (mid-70s) Toyota Land Cruiser, which we called the Panzer

That's about it. My car is my car.
 
My MX-5 is named Ellie. I don't find anything odd about it, although she is the first of my cars to have a name.
 
I don't get why people have an issue with naming cars. Boats are named, ships are named, spacecraft are named, etc. Before trains and aircraft got to be so numerous they were also named. Why not a car, especially if you love it and are attached to it?

Anyway, my cars throughout the past:

1985 Plymouth Horizon (sky blue) - Old Blue
1988 Buick Somerset - Betty Buick
1992 Saturn SL2 (silver) - Silver Bullet
2000 Kia Sportage - PoS, aka UK mobile at University of Kentucky tailgating events.
2007 Volkswagen Rabbit (current) - Jack
 
I don't get why people have an issue with naming cars. Boats are named, ships are named, spacecraft are named, etc. Before trains and aircraft got to be so numerous they were also named. Why not a car, especially if you love it and are attached to it?


I dont think its an "issue". Some do it and some dont. It just sounds funny to those that dont. Its really not a big deal. I guess its one thing to have a name you call it under your breath while you are working on it and its another to refer to the car with that name like its a person. " Oh look Betsy just got a bath.".
 
My parents have a history of naming cars. They used to have something (I believe a MKI Rabbit Diesel) named Zippy and called my Aunt's old Toyota "the zoom-zoom car." In my lifetime, the old Taurus was called "Boris the Taurus," our red Subaru was called Ruby and the Vanagon is called Olga. I guess we've slacked a bit in that department because the Volvo's only "name" is something weird like "Saphira" dubbed by my sister and never used. And they call the GTI "the Coke Bottle," which is pretty cool. I use "the GTI" and on occasion "the Pimp-mobile," dubbed by my best friend.

Quite right. My assumption would be that Volkswagen and Subaru owners are very similar as well. Although, I can't be completely sure...

I named my first car (the '93 Fox) the "Purple People Eater" because she was in fact purple and faster than most would expect. That, and it sounded "mosterous" as well with the broken exhaust.

It would probably depend more on the person as to naming a car. Maybe people who would name a car are more likely to buy a VW or Subaru.

And I always get a chuckle out of the old minivans or Toyotas with the broken exhaust. You wouldn't expect such a loud and deep sound coming from something so slow.
 
My Z4 M's official name is "Giselle". Because she attracts almost as much attention as a supermodel. And also because she is of German descent, but born in the Americas.

I also call her 'Slow n Ugly'... though generally not when she can hear me. :sly:

All my previous BMWs have also had German girls' names, like Sabine, Gretchen, Elsa, etc. I used refer to them by name in conversion ("I'm gonna take Greta out for a spin") but over the years I'll fallen out of that habit. Probably to the relief of my friends and family.


M
 
I dont think its an "issue". Some do it and some dont. It just sounds funny to those that dont. Its really not a big deal.
I should have said I don't see why people might think it is odd.

I guess its one thing to have a name you call it under your breath while you are working on it and its another to refer to the car with that name like its a person. " Oh look Betsy just got a bath.".
So, when I talk to my car?
 
Back