Doesn't anyone just play anymore?

• Thread starter TonyLomas
  • 43 comments
TonyLomas
I read about lots of people have 'finished' the game. Does that mean finished the menu books or got all the trophies?
Surely it doesn't mean raced all 424 cars across the 97 track layouts.
And that's before you do all the custom race options and all the custom tuning options.

And then you go online!

I know there are bugs and issues that some people are facing but that's to be expected with any new software these days,

I just feel sorry for people that buy a driving game but don't like racing.

So, does anyone still just enjoy racing?

Surely it doesn't mean raced all 424 cars
Definitely not, as quite a few of them haven't been made available for players to buy yet - and several of those that have require a serious grind to purchase.

If you just want to play or enjoy racing the Mazda 787B, for example... you haven't been able to yet at all, even f you've completed all 120 career-mode races, the 30-odd Circuit Experiences, the 40 Missions, and the 50 Licence tests.

Fair enough, maybe I'm just enjoying it more because I've not completed everything that's available yet. All the missions, licences and circuit experiences etc. I agree that GT4 had more offline content but there's lots of online options and the prospect of more updates to come.

A
If you just want to play or enjoy racing the Mazda 787B, for example... you haven't been able to yet at all, even f you've completed all 120 career-mode races, the 30-odd Circuit Experiences, the 40 Missions, and the 50 Licence tests.
PD seems to have gone all-in on accurate simulation of car acquisition. Used car prices through the roof, special cars increasingly unobtainable, even for the super rich. So much for escaping the harsher aspects of reality. I wish they would have focused on making other aspects of the game more realistic. Like, say, grip-slip transition physics. At least they don't limit the number of cars available and force us into auctions. I shouldn't have said that aloud.

To be honest, I think I understand what they're trying to do with car ownership - and I generally agree with it in principle. It actually relates to the OP's point too: if cars are too easy to obtain, people tend not to appreciate them, the finer details. So the game is structured to try and get the player to actually stop and smell the roses. I have to give PD kudos for trying something unique with this in mind. I just wish the game started opening up sooner and the credits would really start flowing. And that could be done in a way that mimics reality! Some ideas:

• Take over the used car dealership and start raking in credits for doing nothing while getting a big discount on used cars
  • Obtain sponsorships as you progress that pay some steady income and give additional bonuses for good results, but requires you to log in and race regularly to maintain (like a log-in bonus combined with daily workout)
  • B-spec! Now I'm hoping it will make a comeback just for the potential AFK income

A

PD seems to have gone all-in on accurate simulation of car acquisition. Used car prices through the roof, special cars increasingly unobtainable, even for the super rich. So much for escaping the harsher aspects of reality. I wish they would have focused on making other aspects of the game more realistic. Like, say, grip-slip transition physics. At least they don't limit the number of cars available and force us into auctions. I shouldn't have said that aloud.

To be honest, I think I understand what they're trying to do with car ownership - and I generally agree with it in principle. It actually relates to the OP's point too: if cars are too easy to obtain, people tend not to appreciate them, the finer details. So the game is structured to try and get the player to actually stop and smell the roses. I have to give PD kudos for trying something unique with this in mind. I just wish the game started opening up sooner and the credits would really start flowing. And that could be done in a way that mimics reality! Some ideas:

• Take over the used car dealership and start raking in credits for doing nothing while getting a big discount on used cars
  • Obtain sponsorships as you progress that pay some steady income and give additional bonuses for good results, but requires you to log in and race regularly to maintain (like a log-in bonus combined with daily workout)
  • B-spec! Now I'm hoping it will make a comeback just for the potential AFK income
I agree with the sentiment, it's the implementation that is terrible. If there were more events that paid well so we don't need to drive the same race 500 times to be efficient and if payouts were better in general I would love the effort required. As it is, the game pushes hard to get mtx. I don't think Kaz and co. want players to be sitting in the same race over and over again.

I have finished the Cafe races so the campaign mode for me is complete, but I am FAR from being done with the game.

I'm a collector type. I eventually want to own every car in the game. That is my goal anyway. I'm not really an online racer. Never have been. Sure I wish the payouts were better or that you could re-win cars again and sell them, but the game has only been out for 12 days. I'm happy with what Polyphony delivered and I look forward to the future offerings.

Mind you, I also loved Cyberpunk 2077 (on PC with an RTX card) when that game was blasted left and right. Heck, Witcher 3 was as well and it became a GOTY eventually.

Give it time. Developers are people too with lives, friends, families, and problems of their own. Enjoy the game for what it is, not for what doesn't fit your expectations.

I have done the Cafe menus, all circuit experiences, all missions and am currently in the process of doing the few races that were not part of the menus.
So yes, I'm almost done with the game in Singleplayer.

As mentioned before in here, the issue is the lack of single player events compared to previous GT titles.

Multiplayer is an entirely different thing. I'll be using that a lot, especially Sports mode, but even that has it's issues currently.

Custom races are no option for me - I've never used Arcade mode in previous games either. Just absolutely no appeal to me.

I havent played in 4 days now because I already got bored and being busy with elden ring. Sadly... Wish there was more content and I will not waste my time on grinding for money to get cars I can't use for anything anyways, since im no online racer.

The fact that people are bored after they've collected all the cars and finished the menu, proves that the actual driving experience isn't that great. If you want real driving experience, go download AC from PlayStation Now for free.

Now what? A crappy AI? A non-existent single player campaign, a non-existent spotter, a non-existent championship?

GT7 is a collecting cars game and then you take photos.

It's nothing more than that.

Last edited:
I have finished the Cafe races so the campaign mode for me is complete, but I am FAR from being done with the game.

I'm a collector type. I eventually want to own every car in the game. That is my goal anyway. I'm not really an online racer. Never have been. Sure I wish the payouts were better or that you could re-win cars again and sell them, but the game has only been out for 12 days. I'm happy with what Polyphony delivered and I look forward to the future offerings.

Mind you, I also loved Cyberpunk 2077 (on PC with an RTX card) when that game was blasted left and right. Heck, Witcher 3 was as well and it became a GOTY eventually.

Give it time. Developers are people too with lives, friends, families, and problems of their own. Enjoy the game for what it is, not for what doesn't fit your expectations.
I can relate. What you described is how I approach GT. Heck, yesterday I bought the C2 Stingray and just sat there watching it drive through scapes for around 35 minutes I think. I had a great time just watching it drive, looking through the interior. I just wish that the views in the garage didn't cycle so damn fast.

Of course I wish for more races, more cars, more tracks, more cash, but I'm enjoying the game even in it's current state. I would rather have this game in hand rather than having to wait another like half a year for a more "complete" release

Daily online rally racing for the past several years is where I scratch my competitive itch. I play GT6, Sport and 7 when I don't want that "don't blink or breathe" focus of WRC and Dirt Rally and just want to drive some cars around some great looking scenery. For what I want to get out of it, GT7 will last me a long time as well. I do understand where a lot of people are coming from in regards to the short career, but I would like to think that Polyphony will add more events as we go along.

I can relate. What you described is how I approach GT. Heck, yesterday I bought the C2 Stingray and just sat there watching it drive through scapes for around 35 minutes I think. I had a great time just watching it drive, looking through the interior. I just wish that the views in the garage didn't cycle so damn fast.

Of course I wish for more races, more cars, more tracks, more cash, but I'm enjoying the game even in it's current state. I would rather have this game in hand rather than having to wait another like half a year for a more "complete" release
As long as coming updates bring more content(more races, more tracks, maby more menu books,races fpr Gr2+Gr1 and for classic cars)) and fix some issues(low pay out, especially for custom races,tire fix in custom races...) I can totally agree with you...

The fact that people are bored after they've collected all the cars and finished the menu, proves that the actual driving experience isn't that great. If you want real driving experience, go download AC from PlayStation Now for free.

Now what? A crappy AI? A non-existent single player campaign, a non-existent spotter, a non-existent championship?

GT7 is a collecting cars game and then you take photos.

It's nothing more than that.
Only 4 threads in that forum getting any responses today? Ouch, no wonder you're here.

I stopped playing because the game is against me playing!

I want to drive Carrera GT - oh wait, I can't! Why? No purchase invitation.

I want to show my wife some historic cars - oh wait, I can't since you can't EVEN SHOWCASE cars you don't own.

I want to compare different generations of cars through the years - oh wait, I can't since they're not even available for purchase.

Ok, I will just tune cars and enjoy the game - oh wait, I can't since car prices are HIGHER THAN GTS and race rewards are much less than GTS.

I'll just wait for this mess to get patched or I will simply sell the game.

If that is what you want to do, you don't need a game for that...there is a thing called the "world wide internet" where you can find all historic cars there are and show them to your wife...
Virtual showcase isn't the same as showing video clips on youtube. That's why games exist and what makes them different than films, it's called interactive media.

I really only race multiplayer these days in games like iRacing but was looking forward to GT7 as I was expecting old school levels of single player content. That hasn't emerged (yet at least), so I'm going to wait for a good while now before I buy GT7. Perhaps in a year or so.

I read about lots of people have 'finished' the game. Does that mean finished the menu books or got all the trophies?
Surely it doesn't mean raced all 424 cars across the 97 track layouts.
And that's before you do all the custom race options and all the custom tuning options.

And then you go online!

I know there are bugs and issues that some people are facing but that's to be expected with any new software these days,

I just feel sorry for people that buy a driving game but don't like racing.

So, does anyone still just enjoy racing?
I don't like online racing. I found it frustrating in GTS to be honest not because of the challenge but simply because of the idiots I've come across that purposely run into others like me.

In either case, I prefer the single player content. I've finished all the menus and have been going back and finishing the races on each track I never started or didn't take 1st place in. Once completed, I'll likely start really getting into creating my own custom races.

As for online in GT7, I may try it out but only with the right people this time. .....no more randoms.

For some complaining is the game. Many have been waiting years, months to brag how right they are.

It would be like me buying an music album knowing I hate the artist and then complaing about it, "Dammit Nickleback when are you going to play the Smooth Jazz I want!" :lol:

Wait a minute, I am taking my paper notebook and my pencil to see if I have done all circuit experience.... hmmm no some tracks are not done yet, and the ones done not golded, still some work to do apparently.

For the licenses, I am stuck on iA, I have to become better with RH in rally :D

As for the missions, I have work to do too, so nope, not finished yet.

And when I'll be done, I'll have Sport Mode to partake.

I have a stressful job and studies, so I appreciate grinding credits and turning my mind off while playing with cockpit view. I have a lot of competition in real life and dont need additional in game.

So I will grind till I get all cars. After that probably I'll do some time trials.

I hope, that we will get more grindy races, where I can grind with those expensive cars.

Back