Don't be Snow Dumb: How to Beat Winter on the Road

Then drivetrain should have been the same and shouldn't be a factor in the test.
In the 1st the guys fails to mention the rubber component in the summer tire makes it inefficient in cold weather. It seems he comparing more awd to winter tires for most of the test and even in his conclusion at the end he says winter tires are better and safer in winter then AWD.
Again, that was the purpose of my post in reference to the article. Winter tires are better and safer regardless what car you use; FWD, RWD, AWD, 4WD

The compound (or is it component?) of the summer tires has no relevance in this case/youtube clip. It is about the correct tires, not component (compound). That is what this article and youtube clip is all about.

There’s no sense attempting to drive a car in the snow that’s not suited for the conditions.
Winter tires are suited and summer tires are not, even on an AWD. Using an AWD with summer tires compared to an FWD with winter tires seems to be unfair but shows how good winter tires are if an AWD with summer tires is worse than an FWD with winter tires.

But more important than the drivetrain setup is the tires. Running summer-only tires and AWD will leave you spinning all four wheels instead of just two.
Exactly what this youtube video is showing (AWD instead of 4WD in this case).

With that said a rear-drive car will almost always be better on winter tires than an AWD or 4WD car on summer tires.
Again, what this youtube clip is showing. Using an FWD instead of an RWD.

Of course, generally speaking, it is important to choose very good winter tires.

This isn’t true. ABS pumps the brakes too fast in snow and ice and is just like locking up the brakes, you will not be able to steer, just slide straight forward.
Wrong. If that is the case, you are better off pumping your brakes yourself instead of having ABS. Why invent ABS if it doesn't work in the snow and on ice. I tried it yesterday evening with my car (it snowed yesterday) and the ABS was working perfectly.

The other thing people need to keep in mind is to make sure you’re looking where you want to go, not what you would like to not slide into. If you are staring at would you would not like to hit that is where you will end up.
Although generally speaking this is correct what you are saying, why look somewhere where you want to steer at if you can't steer in the first place because your ABS is not working? You can look left or right all you want but what good does it do if your car is sliding without being able to control your car?

I practiced car control from 2000 until 2010 here and here. The latter with more than 1m snow with ABS and without ABS.

Again, that was the purpose of my post in reference to the article. Winter tires are better and safer regardless what car you use; FWD, RWD, AWD, 4WD

I do appreciate the videos though because people are often under the mistaken impression that AWD makes up for poor rubber.

I understand your post was to show reference to the article but I think you misunderstood my post-
These comparisons are just stupid and not even remotely fair, summer tires are already horrible and lose traction in cold weather minus any snow/ice.
I'm referring to the format of the video/the way he presents the info(not your post). I understand the info it is showing but IMO making it a "vs" video seems stupid(I'm mostly referring to 1st video).

I understand your post was to show reference to the article but I think you misunderstood my post-

I'm referring to the format of the video/the way he presents the info(not your post). I understand the info it is showing but IMO making it a "vs" video seems stupid(I'm mostly referring to 1st video).
Aha, you were criticising the video and not me posting it and the reason why I posted it.

Gotcha!

Back