DR Point Calculations

United States
Indiana USA
tmsheehan
I know this is probably brought up a lot by newbies (like myself) but how are DR points awarded during the daily races? Take today - 1st race I was car sticker 15, started 14, ended 11, lost 246 points. 2nd race I was car sticker 15 again, started 14 again, ended 10, gained 73 points. Final race I was car sticker 15, started 15, ended 15 (bad bad race - hit the wrong sandbox), lost 72 points. I am very careful with maintaining my SR rating but cannot seem to get my DR rating off the ground (yes I literally mean ground (a 1).

Any assistance in understanding the award system is appreciated. Thanks.

There is a thread somewhere with all the details @Famine knows.

A quick explanation.

Door numbers mean little when you or other in the room are below DR.B (below 10,000 DR)
Door number is your DR reverse sorted alphabetically, 9 gets door number one, 8,000 comes after 900, etc.

The formula for DR is

You gain 80 points from each driver you finish ahead of, adjusted for the difference in your DR vs the other driver's DR

80 + (DR difference / 500) for each driver.

If your DR is higher you get less points (minimum 1)
If your DR is lower you get more points (maximum 160)

It's a zero sum exchange, so in reverse you give 80 points to each driver you finish behind.
(You can't end up below 1 yet still give out the points you owe, technically not zero sum, point inflation happens at the bottom)
Disconnecting counts as finishing last (you still give points to those who do stay connected until the end)

To get off the ground, you'll need to finish about half way up. It depends on the room though and who you beat. If you get matched with an A/S driver who crashes or disconnect, you'll get 160 points from that driver alone.

Thank you.

A quick explanation.

Door numbers mean little when you or other in the room are below DR.B (below 10,000 DR)
Door number is your DR reverse sorted alphabetically, 9 gets door number one, 8,000 comes after 900, etc.

The formula for DR is

You gain 80 points from each driver you finish ahead of, adjusted for the difference in your DR vs the other driver's DR

It's a zero sum exchange, so in reverse you give 80 points to each driver you finish behind.
(You can't end up below 1 yet still give out the points you owe, technically not zero sum, point inflation happens at the bottom)
Disconnecting counts as finishing last (you still give points to those who do stay connected until the end)

To get off the ground, you'll need to finish about half way up. It depends on the room though and who you beat. If you get matched with an A/S driver who crashes or disconnect, you'll get 160 points from that driver alone.

Thank you, so basically I don't gain anything by entering these races (but experience) until I can improve my driving - makes sense. It doesn't take into accounts if you were punted or spun I guess (other than maybe the offender gets a time penalty).

Everyone says build the SR up to get to better rooms but it sounds like I should build my DR up and let SR fall wherever it goes.

Thank you again and hope to see you on the track someday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, so basically I don't gain anything by entering these races (but experience) until I can improve my driving - makes sense. It doesn't take into accounts if you were punted or spun I guess (other than maybe the offender gets a time penalty).

Everyone says build the SR up to get to better rooms but it sounds like I should build my DR up and let SR fall wherever it goes.

Thank you again and hope to see you on the track someday.

SR is a tricky subject especially now penalties have harsh SR deductions while still being assigned wrong far more often than not.
SR is the first factor in matchmaking and is the reason why the competition often seems completely unfair.

Any SR Down (penalty or not), getting the orange SR Down arrow for contact with another car deducts 10 SR.
Race A and B usually only give out 4 to 6 SR for a clean race, Race C nowadays is worth around 12 points per race.
This combined with penalties being assigned wrongly most of the time, does not guarantee any better racing at SR.S than at SR.C :/

In my experience, racing as DR.B SR.C is much better nowadays than at DR.A SR.S, sad but it's been like that for a couple months now.
Time of day, whether you do Race A/B or C make a big difference in where your SR goes, it has little left to do with sportmanship or driving by generally accepted racing rules. https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/

Matchmaking works by collecting all entries between 90 and 99 SR, sort on DR, create rooms.
Then collect all entries between 80 and 89 SR, sort on DR, add the highest DR to the left over spots in the last room created and continue.

This results in for example getting rooms like
1. A+/S90+ to B/S90+
2. B/S90+ to D/S90+
3. A+/S80+ with D/S90+ (the last D/S90+ room had spots left over which get filled with the highest DR in 80-89 range creating a A+ with D room)
4. A/S80+ to C/S80+
5. A/S70+ with C/S80+ to D/S80+ (the last 80-89 SR room had spots left over which get filled by the highest DR in 70-79 range)
etc

Matchmaking only really works in the 90 to 99 SR room, the rest all easily get messed up due to how the server fills up rooms.
Still when there aren't that many entries the top room is usually A+/S90+ to D/S90+, you don't stand a chance.

SR.B is the largest group, which makes the competition the closest. Most people to choose from to make evenly matched rooms. That is, if it weren't for DR resets and alt accounts coming through. (people that are labeled DR.B but drive like DR.A or A+)

Closer matched in pace also means more chance at contact and bad penalties, hence SR.B is such a difficult place to advance from.

Head spinning yet?

Don't worry too much about SR, D/S is the most demotivating place to be, usually getting matched with rabbits that are impossible to catch leading to getting timed out before the finish. D/S is only good for maintaining SR.99 since the field spreads out so quickly reducing chance of contact.

SR is a tricky subject especially now penalties have harsh SR deductions while still being assigned wrong far more often than not.
SR is the first factor in matchmaking and is the reason why the competition often seems completely unfair.

Any SR Down (penalty or not), getting the orange SR Down arrow for contact with another car deducts 10 SR.
Race A and B usually only give out 4 to 6 SR for a clean race, Race C nowadays is worth around 12 points per race.
This combined with penalties being assigned wrongly most of the time, does not guarantee any better racing at SR.S than at SR.C :/

In my experience, racing as DR.B SR.C is much better nowadays than at DR.A SR.S, sad but it's been like that for a couple months now.
Time of day, whether you do Race A/B or C make a big difference in where your SR goes, it has little left to do with sportmanship or driving by generally accepted racing rules. https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/

Matchmaking works by collecting all entries between 90 and 99 SR, sort on DR, create rooms.
Then collect all entries between 80 and 89 SR, sort on DR, add the highest DR to the left over spots in the last room created and continue.

This results in for example getting rooms like
1. A+/S90+ to B/S90+
2. B/S90+ to D/S90+
3. A+/S80+ with D/S90+ (the last D/S90+ room had spots left over which get filled with the highest DR in 80-89 range creating a A+ with D room)
4. A/S80+ to C/S80+
5. A/S70+ with C/S80+ to D/S80+ (the last 80-89 SR room had spots left over which get filled by the highest DR in 70-79 range)
etc

Matchmaking only really works in the 90 to 99 SR room, the rest all easily get messed up due to how the server fills up rooms.
Still when there aren't that many entries the top room is usually A+/S90+ to D/S90+, you don't stand a chance.

SR.B is the largest group, which makes the competition the closest. Most people to choose from to make evenly matched rooms. That is, if it weren't for DR resets and alt accounts coming through. (people that are labeled DR.B but drive like DR.A or A+)

Closer matched in pace also means more chance at contact and bad penalties, hence SR.B is such a difficult place to advance from.

Head spinning yet?

Don't worry too much about SR, D/S is the most demotivating place to be, usually getting matched with rabbits that are impossible to catch leading to getting timed out before the finish. D/S is only good for maintaining SR.99 since the field spreads out so quickly reducing chance of contact.

Head spinning - yes!

I enjoy racing so I will keep plodding along and someday my driving will improve and I will see the results in my SR. Until that happens I will just keep enjoying the racing.

Thank you for explaining this all to me. I really appreciate it.

Head spinning - yes!

I enjoy racing so I will keep plodding along and someday my driving will improve and I will see the results in my SR. Until that happens I will just keep enjoying the racing.

Thank you for explaining this all to me. I really appreciate it.

You probably meant DR ;) :cheers:

Enjoy racing. This whole DR/SR stuff is only really relevant for competing with the fastest in FIA races. That's what it's calibrated on, mostly ignoring the bottom 99% :crazy:

A quick explanation.

The formula for DR is

I've never seen this detailed as well before, thanks. Good info.

The main reason you don't stand a chance in those lobbies when you start out is an A or A+ driver simply won't consider that the C driver who started ahead of them on the grid might be genuinely faster than them, and will simply ram you out of the way to get to their rightful (in their mind) position ahead of you on the track.

Late commenting in here. I understood the general idea about DR/SR, and makes sense to not super focus on our DR all the time, instead enjoying racing.
Just one question, is qualy time part of any variable to matchmaking to a specific room? I have noticed times between drivers varies from 0.5 to even 3-4+ seconds.

Btw, thanks for explain this with so much detail. It is really helpful for newcomers like myself.

Not sure if there's a 'to do' 'not to do' list, would definitely simplify things. I know for me personally, a 'not to do' is avoid quiting and definitely avoid a quiting on a penalty. My S rating that I've always had was decimated and can't seem to get back despite great races. Like above, a 'to do' would be to finish in the top half.

Just one question, is qualy time part of any variable to matchmaking to a specific room? I have noticed times between drivers varies from 0.5 to even 3-4+ seconds.
Qualifying time is not used to select which lobby you are placed in, that is done by first SR then DR. Qualifying time only affects your grid position in the lobby after you've been placed in it by SR then DR.

Qualifying time is not used to select which lobby you are placed in, that is done by first SR then DR. Qualifying time only affects your grid position in the lobby after you've been placed in it by SR then DR.

Got it, thanks for the clarification. I was confused thinking the system might place you in “X or Y” lobby assuming plenty of available players with similar SR and DR at a given time. Meaning the pool of players was big enough to choose from and the third variable could be qualifying times to Matchmaking with closer times to provide a better experience for users.

Not sure if there's a 'to do' 'not to do' list, would definitely simplify things. I know for me personally, a 'not to do' is avoid quiting and definitely avoid a quiting on a penalty. My S rating that I've always had was decimated and can't seem to get back despite great races. Like above, a 'to do' would be to finish in the top half.

To do: stay out of SR.S. Races are better in lower SR nowadays.
If you must race in SR.S, make sure to qualify well enough to start top 3, hug the inside in T1 and hope for the best.

The golden rule with the current penalty system is never be on the outside and use the jump button to evade incoming missiles :cheers:

A quick explanation.

The formula for DR is

The history of working all this out is in the kudosprime thread...

Door numbers

DR calc

I have looked in all the wrong places and can not find the right one for seeing the SR and DR numbers. Best I can do is see the useless bar indicator.

Keeping SR up doesn't seem to be a problem as I've never seen my SR grade drop.

I have given up on trying to build my DR for now, seems like a daunting task. Now I am concentrating on Manufacturer's Series Points so it is time for another stupid points question . . . .

If I run all 5 races in a single round (or 3 race day dependent) and get 4 points per race. At the end of the round do I get total points (20 points) or just the highest (which would be 4)? I ask because I see Racer's getting 300+ per round and figure they are either racing in the higher level series races or running multiple races per round . . . hence the question above.

I am trying to determine if it is worth running all the races in every round or just continue running in just the one I usually race. Thank you.

If I run all 5 races in a single round (or 3 race day dependent) and get 4 points per race. At the end of the round do I get total points (20 points) or just the highest (which would be 4)?
Neither. You get the points from the last race you entered, even if it is zero.

I have given up on trying to build my DR for now, seems like a daunting task. Now I am concentrating on Manufacturer's Series Points so it is time for another stupid points question . . . .

If I run all 5 races in a single round (or 3 race day dependent) and get 4 points per race. At the end of the round do I get total points (20 points) or just the highest (which would be 4)? I ask because I see Racer's getting 300+ per round and figure they are either racing in the higher level series races or running multiple races per round . . . hence the question above.

I am trying to determine if it is worth running all the races in every round or just continue running in just the one I usually race. Thank you.

Only the points from the last race you do count, so it's only worth doing multiple tries if you are confident you can get a better result.

EDIT Ninja'd by Famine..... again.

Only the points from the last race you do count, so it's only worth doing multiple tries if you are confident you can get a better result.

EDIT Ninja'd by Famine..... again.

Aha so if I am confident with my improving the score - go for it but there is a risk. Got it. Thank you again.

If you finish outside top 10. You will loose DR certainly no matter what your door number or finish position is.

Getting a good qualy lap is a must.

Finally understood that joke. Will never ridicule the developers again. For guys that can't even sort a list this game is pretty well made.

The main reason you don't stand a chance in those lobbies when you start out is an A or A+ driver simply won't consider that the C driver who started ahead of them on the grid might be genuinely faster than them, and will simply ram you out of the way to get to their rightful (in their mind) position ahead of you on the track.
Good one. But 90% of drivers generally think they are faster than the guy ahead.

To do: stay out of SR.S. Races are better in lower SR nowadays.
Confused. You mean easier to win, right. Probably cleaner because they are more spread out. Can't see another reason.

Confused. You mean easier to win, right. Probably cleaner because they are more spread out. Can't see another reason.

Some are easier to win yes, but that doesn't really matter when you start last like I do (or did, haven't raced in a while). In general I have more interaction on the track with people in SR.C than in SR.S. In SR.C people drive cleaner. Many many observations and it's always the same. High SR.S, the intentional sneaky dirtiest stuff goes on. In SR.C, close to the DR reset threshold, people behave! It's not only the DR reset, people are more relaxed at lower SR and generally want to have a fun race instead of fighting over every DR point.

It's weird. In SR.S, you pass someone, they get offended and want to ram you off the next corner. In SR.C, you pass someone, they try to keep up and follow your lines without punting you off. I've seen far more people self sacrifice in SR.C (make a mistake and steer themselves off or into a wall to avoid you) than in SR.S. In SR.S it's oh well, I'll just flash my hazard lights as an 'apology' while I race on and leave you with a penalty.

Back