Dreams - From the creators of Little Big PlanetPS4 

• Thread starter Earth
  • 43 comments
GTP_Royalton
kdM4SaOPOy.JPG

Synopsis

Dreams™ is a space where you go to play and experience the dreams of Media Molecule and our community. It’s also a space in which to create your own dreams, whether they’re games, art, films, music or anything in-between and beyond.

E3 Walkthrough

Trailer #1

Developer Interview

How has no one replied to this thread yet!? By the time Paris Games Week comes around, this might just become one of the most anticipated games on the PS4 :)

Certainly not for me! :lol: Too far down the pretentious route for me I'm afraid. :scared:

Certainly not for me! :lol: Too far down the pretentious route for me I'm afraid. :scared:
We wont know until they actually tell us how it works... No one has a clue right now. Even the developers are unsure of what will come from this project.

From what I'm seeing, they could be the most impressive game this generation, just incredible what they're doing.

If you want to see them actually sculpting something from scratch, skip to the 55:25 minute mark in this video

I could get lost in this game

Then please explain to me how this game is in any way pretentious.
The entire premise is built upon something that is trying to amass more importance or merit than it actually has. Its another sandbox DIY game with some artsy filter pastered over the top of it, when it actually comes out we'll see how it actually pans out. I can already see the "kill justin beiber" and "shark attack" levels that plagued the vast majority of LBP's community output.

Also I cannot prove to you that its pretenious since its this crazy concept credited to an "opinion" based in what I have seen. I am sure a lot of people will enjoy this game but it just isn't interesting me personally in the slightest, hence why my initial comment said it wasn't for 'me'. I understand it may appeal to some who like this type of thing.

The entire premise is built upon something that is trying to amass more importance or merit than it actually has. Its another sandbox DIY game with some artsy filter pastered over the top of it, when it actually comes out we'll see how it actually pans out. I can already see the "kill justin beiber" and "shark attack" levels that plagued the vast majority of LBP's community output.

Also I cannot prove to you that its pretenious since its this crazy concept credited to an "opinion" based in what I have seen. I am sure a lot of people will enjoy this game but it just isn't interesting me personally in the slightest, hence why my initial comment said it wasn't for 'me'. I understand it may appeal to some who like this type of thing.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you had to prove it. What I should have said, was why you considered it to be pretentious. But I don't quite follow you. I haven't followed any of the marketing for it outside of E3 and Paris Games Week, but what I saw there was simply the creators giving their vision for their game, and not once did I hear any of them imply that the game is anything more but a tool for creative people to create small games or art.

It's not really my type of game either, but I absolutely love that we get this kind of unique game. To me, these somewhat "out there" games is what makes the Playstation brand interesting. It's not just boring shooters. They actually do new stuff too.

I didn't mean to be rude to you, I just find that the word pretentious is often misused.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you had to prove it. What I should have said, was why you considered it to be pretentious. But I don't quite follow you. I haven't followed any of the marketing for it outside of E3 and Paris Games Week, but what I saw there was simply the creators giving their vision for their game, and not once did I hear any of them imply that the game is anything more but a tool for creative people to create small games or art.

It's not really my type of game either, but I absolutely love that we get this kind of unique game. To me, these somewhat "out there" games is what makes the Playstation brand interesting. It's not just boring shooters. They actually do new stuff too.

I didn't mean to be rude to you, I just find that the word pretentious is often misused.
Yeah that's fair enough...I just feel like MM have a habit of being a bit too outright on their games and what they actually are. For example, they never stopped talking about the customization in Tearaway which was really just a side-extra to the base game. Same with LBP, they boasted 2 million levels were playable from launch on LBP2 but the majority of those arent literally playable because the community is always going to be very lop-sided in terms of a ratio of skilled to unskilled.

The “Dreams” beta codes are to be emailed out tomorrow to those who previously signed up for the Mm Newsletter. The cutoff date for signup was December 7th.

The beta is to last until January 21st, and requires signing up to a non-disclosure agreement (NDA). So you’re unlikely to see captured video or descriptions published until the NDA is lifted.

The announcement of the beta was a little mischievous

Here it is

Early Access is currently available for $30 which will be updated to the full game at launch at no additional cost. I downloaded it on Tuesday and have already spent too much time mucking about with it. It takes a bit to learn the controls and the basic function of the tools but eventually it just clicks and boy do things get good. Such a brilliant game, if you can call it a game.

The full release of Dreams is today for those who purchased the early access and for those who didn't the release is on the 14th. Unfortunately VR will not be available upon the initial release but hopefully it won't be long before it is patched in. The game is gonna be something special I believe. It's already easy to spend countless hours browsing other's creations. Here's a quite slow video of me shortening and lifting an "EF-150" that someone else created. I've also added rotators to the wheels and some not so great suspension. It's pretty neat the possibilities.

@casey_2005 that’s very cool. I just went onto indreams.me and found the original “EF-150”, and added it to my “play later” list.

It’s wonderful to find so much stuff that Dreamers share for us other Dreamers to remix. A superb community.

I bought this after caving into some serious peer pressure at work - we do digital interpretation and R&D at a major museum so everyone has been really interested to see what Dreams can do, and I'm the only one with a PS4 - and at first I thought it seemed good but I thought I'd struggle to find something to make, but I've since decided I want to try to replicate one of my favourite games as a kid, or at least see how far I might get...

I spent about 5 hours today drawing a fairly crude space shuttle then making it move. I got stuck for ages because I wanted its acceleration to be Newtonian, so it wouldn't slow down until you turned 180 degrees away from where you're heading and applied more throttle, but it wasn't working and I couldn't figure out why.

I tried all kinds of things including a very long winded workaround and asking Reddit for help (another Dreamer shared one of his creations with me so I could try to work it out), but in the end all I had to do was link R2 to the mover's power as well as its move speed input... All good!

Next task: get the camera to follow the X/Y position of the ship in space but not its rotation.

This game is awesome. I'm a little amazed this thread has been around for nearly 5 years and we're still on the first page but hopefully that will change as it becomes more known.

I decided I will be making an off-road game. It took me a lot of trying and testing to get to this point but it's finally starting to handle like it should.

Back