Dreams - From the creators of Little Big PlanetPS4 

• Thread starter Earth
  • 43 comments
@casey_2005 looks amazing! I definitely want to try that. What's your PSN so I can follow you? In a respectful manner, of course.

My game, on the other hand, is going really slow because I can only "play" Dreams between 9:30 and midnight most nights (and then get up way too late for work). Last night I finished off a method of generating a random star field that fills the screen but too slowly to be actually good enough to use, but building it has given me ideas for how to do it properly. When that's done, I then need to tile it so a 3x3 grid follows the player's ship, then it's time to start on... Something else, probably the UI.

^^^ this is simply black magic ^^^
WOW!

Haha it's actually a fairly basic concept just a bit tricky to construct. It's also a bit resource heavy causing frame rate drop and if spun too fast will explode, which is terrifying when it happens in VR. I have made a lite version however that I think will work nicely. The difference in feel when the tire can deform is pretty cool, especially under lateral loads.

I think Dreams is fully capable of running a fairly realistic simulator we just need to figure out how the do it. Perhaps not using this friction based driving model but there are other methods for movement.

New experimental tire. It fundamentally improves the off road experience however some optimization is required to keep it from dropping frame rate. All the spheres that make up the tread are movable objects and Dreams can't necessarily process a whole lot of them. There are ways to temporarily make them immovable when not needed however that only works up to a certain wheel speed. It's a speed much higher than you'd want in an off road situation but I'd still like to maintain the option to drive faster. Taking me much longer to get something released than I thought but it's also turning out much better than I could have imagined.

New experimental tire. It fundamentally improves the off road experience however some optimization is required to keep it from dropping frame rate. All the spheres that make up the tread are movable objects and Dreams can't necessarily process a whole lot of them. There are ways to temporarily make them immovable when not needed however that only works up to a certain wheel speed. It's a speed much higher than you'd want in an off road situation but I'd still like to maintain the option to drive faster. Taking me much longer to get something released than I thought but it's also turning out much better than I could have imagined.

That is ASTOUNDING! The motion is so realistic. I have tried messing around in Dreams and although I have found it fun to play with, I've never created anything of any complexity.

Question for you. It seems to me that Dreams doesn't lend itself to supporting an easy method of documentation. When I program something, I like to accompany the work with documentation of how it works, if not for others, for myself, so that when I return to it maybe a year later, it's easier to get back into it. I imagine this is very complex, have you found a way to document your methods inside the creation? Maybe you do it externally.

I tried pulling apart some of the remixable Mm creations and couldn't figure them out for lack of explanation.

Thank you for sharing.

Question for you. It seems to me that Dreams doesn't lend itself to supporting an easy method of documentation. When I program something, I like to accompany the work with documentation of how it works, if not for others, for myself, so that when I return to it maybe a year later, it's easier to get back into it. I imagine this is very complex, have you found a way to document your methods inside the creation? Maybe you do it externally.

I tried pulling apart some of the remixable Mm creations and couldn't figure them out for lack of explanation.

Thank you for sharing.

Sorry I've been away from GTplanet for a while. To answer your question, you can use text gadgets in your scene to document changes and you can also add notes to your creation when saving different versions.

Progress has been a bit slow but I'm still chipping away at getting these driving physics figured out and also making more vehicles. I've made some pretty big improvements on the handling and I think I will try to release a remixable version of one of my vehicles on 2/14/21, the one year anniversary of the game's release.

Here's some of my current lineup. I have created a CJ6 (101" wheelbase), CJ5 (80") and a 6x6 variant which is the 80" wheelbase with another axle behind it. I also started development of a Baja/Prerunner type CJ with IFS and it rips. I have made a couple variants of a Forward Control or Cab over although I only have one to share atm. I am in the process of creating a Volvo C303 lookalike which is a completely fresh build. I have also managed to get my vehicles to run on railroad tracks which really was pretty simple. Oh and I managed to build an "engine" in the game that actually "runs" powered by force appliers. I've also created a full 5 speed gearbox, 2 speed transfer case, and functioning front and rear differentials. These components are heavy though and getting them into a vehicle with working suspension is a bit tricky.

1.jpeg

3.jpeg
2.jpeg
Private Creation_30.jpg
Private Creation__30.jpeg
Private Creation__29.jpeg
Private Creation__39.jpeg
Private Creation__40.jpeg
Private Creation__20.jpeg
Private Creation_35.jpg
Private Creation_37.jpg
Private Creation__25.jpeg

Last edited:
I know everyone here has been patiently waiting for my latest update. I have decided to give tracks a go. It’s amazing what Dreams is capable of. It’s fun to imagine what would be possible with a whole team working on one project.

Back