Drift Photo Competition Restart - Interest, Comments, Suggestions and Ideas.

Bradopoly
I hope it is alright if I post this here, thought this would be the best place for it. :)

I am going to be restarting the Drift Photo Competition. I just wanted to know what the interest would be in me starting it now, since it is the holiday season. There won't be as many people online. So should I start it now or wait till after new years?

Also I wondered if there were any comments, idea's or suggestions that people have for the competition. I would love to hear them.

One more thing, should I start the first week with a theme from the last winners that didn't get to pick. Which was a tie between SlidinPastU and Hiroke. Or should I just make a theme and go on from there. I think it might be cool if one of you (SlidinPastU or Hiroke) or you both together decide on a theme. I can then put up the week 67 poll to get the next winner, so it would be continuing the competition where it left off, or just start fresh.

I am not sure yet, send me you thoughts.

Thanks

Drift2XS 👍

Why does it need to be restarted? If you do restart it, wont the system by which the previous competition was run be the same?. Personally i can't see a logical reason.

I'm not sure what discussions you've had with moderators or forum members alike about this. But don't be fooled by thinking this will boost participants numbers, we've made that mistake before... Maybe a slight increase with week 1 and 2, but things will go back to the way they were.

Or is this proposal mearly a way to clean things up in the competitions forum?

GT4 is on its way out... the enjoyment of competition is dieing out, and people are struggling to keep things fresh in the way of personal photo's, so in the way of suggestions, i can't think of anything new. If anything! i believe we should have a final drift photo tournament, as i believe this is what gained most participants.

Others may disagree with my thoughts, and this comment was not intended to be aimed at you ,Drift 2XS.

originally posted by Funkshen
i believe we should have a final drift photo tournament, as i believe this is what gained most participants.

Are you saying that we should have one last tournament and then quit running the competition?

One thing i want to say is, if you restart the comp. please give us the option to atleast adjust Contrast /Brightness and colour of the pic. like in PMC. It will have the same rules as the PMC. thats was one of the reason i stop sending pics. maybe its a stupid idea, but thats what i think should happen.
And yeah like Funkshen says GT4 is on his way off, so people are loosing interest to this. Im not, im still and will keep be a big fan of GT4.

GT4 is on its way out... the enjoyment of competition is dieing out, and people are struggling to keep things fresh in the way of personal photo's, so in the way of suggestions, i can't think of anything new. If anything! i believe we should have a final drift photo tournament, as i believe this is what gained most participants.

With at minimum, 16 months to the next FULL installment of GT, GT4 is all we got. Might as well keep going with what we have. :)

LGforce's idea about using the brightness/contrast is pretty good. It would probably bring back more people since there would be more to do other than just take the shot in GT4 and enter it.

I also agree with Swift's statement. GT5 is a long way off.

And I don't think GT4 is on its way out, if it was other competitions would be suffering as well, which as far as I can tell, they aren't.

Yeh, the WDS has been drawing around 10 entrants/week, until the Christmas season hit - and there's far fewer people out there making vids in GT4 compared to those just snapping pictures in photomode.

Also, take a look at the amount of members viewing the GT4 subforums on a typical day. The drift forum usually shows the second most visitors (10 to 20 at a time), and photomode forum drawing in the most (usually 25 to 40). So I don't think the level of interest in the game is the problem.
You just have to come up with some sort of formula that keeps people entertained and wanting to participate.

As mentioned, you might want to wait until the New Year to get things going though. Every year things slow down a little on here around Christmas. Students have exams, people are travelling, etc.

Maybe the competition should be changed to a bi-weekly thing? With the Photoshop Drift Comp and WDS, I doubt many people will still have time to take pics for the DPC. Or maybe you ccould select the same theme as WDS, so people can use one car/setup for both comps.

Why does it need to be restarted? If you do restart it, wont the system by which the previous competition was run be the same?. Personally i can't see a logical reason.

I'm not sure what discussions you've had with moderators or forum members alike about this. But don't be fooled by thinking this will boost participants numbers, we've made that mistake before... Maybe a slight increase with week 1 and 2, but things will go back to the way they were.

Or is this proposal mearly a way to clean things up in the competitions forum?

Others may disagree with my thoughts, and this comment was not intended to be aimed at you ,Drift 2XS.

Well, I thought if the rules change then it might be better if it was restarted.

Also, I do not think that GT4 is on it's way out. GT5 is way off and GTHD is only going to be a demo. There is a lot more life left in GT4 imo.

Final drift photo competition, do you mean one more then it's over?

Thanks for you feedback Funkshen, I appreciate your honesty. :)

Are you saying that we should have one last tournament and then quit running the competition?

I am not sure, but I would like to try and get it back and running again. 👍

One thing i want to say is, if you restart the comp. please give us the option to atleast adjust Contrast /Brightness and colour of the pic. like in PMC. It will have the same rules as the PMC. thats was one of the reason i stop sending pics. maybe its a stupid idea, but thats what i think should happen.
And yeah like Funkshen says GT4 is on his way off, so people are loosing interest to this. Im not, im still and will keep be a big fan of GT4.

I have thought about that a lot too, and I think that is a great idea. It will more than likely be an addition to the new comp. Thanks for the feedback LG. 👍

With at minimum, 16 months to the next FULL installment of GT, GT4 is all we got. Might as well keep going with what we have. :)

You got that right Swift. :D

LGforce's idea about using the brightness/contrast is pretty good. It would probably bring back more people since there would be more to do other than just take the shot in GT4 and enter it.

I also agree with Swift's statement. GT5 is a long way off.

And I don't think GT4 is on its way out, if it was other competitions would be suffering as well, which as far as I can tell, they aren't.

Yes, I agree. Like I said to LG's post, that will most likely be added.

You are right, the competitons in the photo gallery section get a ton of entrys. :)

Yeh, the WDS has been drawing around 10 entrants/week, until the Christmas season hit - and there's far fewer people out there making vids in GT4 compared to those just snapping pictures in photomode.

Also, take a look at the amount of members viewing the GT4 subforums on a typical day. The drift forum usually shows the second most visitors (10 to 20 at a time), and photomode forum drawing in the most (usually 25 to 40). So I don't think the level of interest in the game is the problem.
You just have to come up with some sort of formula that keeps people entertained and wanting to participate.

As mentioned, you might want to wait until the New Year to get things going though. Every year things slow down a little on here around Christmas. Students have exams, people are travelling, etc.

Yes, you made some great points there BL. I will be waiting till after New Years until I start it up again. I will probably be starting it fresh too, since there will be new rules and all. :)

Maybe the competition should be changed to a bi-weekly thing? With the Photoshop Drift Comp and WDS, I doubt many people will still have time to take pics for the DPC. Or maybe you ccould select the same theme as WDS, so people can use one car/setup for both comps.

I would still like to keep it weekly. I don't see why that would bring in more entries, the WDS does well and like BL said, more can and do take photos rather than video.

I think having the same theme as the WDS would constrict it too much. Nice idea though. 👍 It could be done every so often, but not all the time imo.

Thanks for all the great comments guys, sorry it took so long for me to reply.
I am certain on one thing that will change, the addition of being able to change the brightness/contrast of images. Do you think there should be any more additions? Like colour/hue, cropping and adding of boarders. Tell me what you think. 👍

Thanks

Drift2XS

Originally posted by Drift2XS
Thanks for all the great comments guys, sorry it took so long for me to reply.
I am certain on one thing that will change, the addition of being able to change the brightness/contrast of images. Do you think there should be any more additions? Like colour/hue, cropping and adding of boarders. Tell me what you think.

Being able to change the brightness and contrast would be good to add, I don't know about be able to change color and hue though, we already got the Drift Photoshop Comp for people who want to go all out with their editing. Maybe make it so we can get rid of the GT4 watermark and let us add a small sig on the pictures.

um no, this is a thread about the "drift photo competition" and i was the co winner of the last poll and this was my suggestion for the next competition

Yes. This is the wrong thread. This is not discussing the next weeks contest. It is discussing what to do with the contest as a whole.

Anyways, I would personally love another DPT.

I think another Tournament is an excellent idea. Let's make it double elimination just to keep it interesting. OR we could keep it down to 16 members per tournament and run one every 4 weeks. Whichever is logistically easier. :)

Perhaps both to help with interest? So if even if you think you may be eliminated you can still enter and get two rounds in.

Originally posted by SlidinPastU
um no, this is a thread about the "drift photo competition" and i was the co winner of the last poll and this was my suggestion for the next competition

Oh, Sorry.

I agree, a tournament might be cool to do.

Being able to change the brightness and contrast would be good to add, I don't know about be able to change color and hue though, we already got the Drift Photoshop Comp for people who want to go all out with their editing. Maybe make it so we can get rid of the GT4 watermark and let us add a small sig on the pictures.

Changing the colour and hue isn't really all out Photoshop work. I am still not sure if it should be added though. Getting rid of the watermark and adding a sig might considered more PS work to some than colour/hue. Thanks for the comment LOON. :)

i was thinking about a "Mazda Madness" theme, any mazda car on mazda speedway aka Laguna seca

Thanks for that Slidin, but I am thinking of restarting this comp fresh. The first week would be a free run. I could always use your idea for week 2. 👍

Anyways, I would personally love another DPT.

What is the DPT??

I think another Tournament is an excellent idea. Let's make it double elimination just to keep it interesting. OR we could keep it down to 16 members per tournament and run one every 4 weeks. Whichever is logistically easier. :)

Sorry, I don't know what you are talking about Swift. Was this a competition that was on before I was here?

Perhaps both to help with interest? So if even if you think you may be eliminated you can still enter and get two rounds in.

Still don't follow what you and Swift are talking about, sorry. :dunce:

I would like to hear your thoughts on what should be added to this comp. I know I wnat to add Brightness/Contrast, but what about colour/hue, adding of boarders and signiture and removal of the watermark. I don't want to add too much because then it would seem like a Photoshop comp. What do you all think? :)

Thanks for all the comments. Hopefully I can get more life back into this competition. :D

Still don't follow what you and Swift are talking about, sorry. :dunce:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2175439&postcount=4

Check that out. :)

I would like to hear your thoughts on what should be added to this comp. I know I wnat to add Brightness/Contrast, but what about colour/hue, adding of boarders and signiture and removal of the watermark. I don't want to add too much because then it would seem like a Photoshop comp. What do you all think? :)

Thanks for all the comments. Hopefully I can get more life back into this competition. :D

I think everyone should get picassa, it's free. Then you can use that to increase the brightness and what not without getting into photoshop like stuff.

If you want a photoshop comp or tournament that's fine, but it needs to be different.

Seems like a cool idea, looks like it got a lot of interest too.

I think everyone should get picassa, it's free. Then you can use that to increase the brightness and what not without getting into photoshop like stuff.

If you want a photoshop comp or tournament that's fine, but it needs to be different.

I have heard of that, I think my sister used to use it. That is a good idea Swift. 👍

I don't want another Photoshop comp, just wondering how much new stuff can be added before pepole start thinking it is another PS comp.

Thanks for the comment Swift. :)

• You must use only your own work that has not previously been entered in any competition.
  • Only one entry may be submitted, mark it clearly as Final Entry.
  • Use to host your entry and copy the 'Thumbnail for forums' code into your post.
  • You may change your Final Entry once. If you do so, please edit your original entry make a new post linking to it. Minor updates to the same image are allowed.
  • Do not ask other members to choose your final entry.
  • Additional photos may only be posted in the form of either two honorable mentions in thumbnail form, or a single preview image that does not to exceed 400x300 pixels in size.
  • Photoshop or other graphics programs may only be used to crop, resize, adjust brightness, contrast or gamma, rotate, add a border or small signature, or to remove the "Gran Turismo/©SCEI" watermark, if you so wish.
  • If you don't have Photoshop or other professional image management software, try a shareware one such as IrfanView or GIMP.
  • Photoshop or other graphics programs may NOT be used to change levels, hue, saturation, sharpen, apply filters or otherwise manipulate the image in any form.
  • When using brightness and/or contrast filters to alter an entry, it must be uniform throughout the entire picture.

I think these rules let in some editing but not enough to be considered another drift Photoshop Competition.👍

And they seem to go over well in the PMC, so perhaps the DPC could use them. I personally was rather annoyed over the lack of ability to change brightness, as my TV look far different from my computer monitor.

Those rules work great, that's what I will be using. Expect to see this competition started up again sometime after New Years. Thanks for all the comments guys. 👍

Honestly, I think we should just stick with Picassa and no photoshop. It takes out a lot of the "he said/she said" garbage. Outside of that, it sounds good to me.

Honestly, I think we should just stick with Picassa and no photoshop. It takes out a lot of the "he said/she said" garbage. Outside of that, it sounds good to me.

If we made people go and download Picassa just to use in this one comp it would make people not want to enter, plus, how would we know that the people who entered used that program to edit their picture?

If we made people go and download Picassa just to use in this one comp it would make people not want to enter, plus, how would we know that the people who entered used that program to edit their picture?

you can actually check it. But it's a FREE program. It's not like it costs money. There are other similar programs like Acdsee as well. I'm just saying letting photoshop in opens up a whole new can of worms.

If it's too much trouble to download a free program, well, dang what's the deal?

cough...photoshop...cough...can..cough...be....cough...free...cough

even though my uncle has an company and they bought it a year ago so i just borrowed the cd from him and installed it on my pc.. so is it allowed for photoshop people to use photoshop ? or just picasse for everyone

u got picassa... and there is another one but forgot its name

but anyways : if ur going to restart the photoshop competition..... restart it good and dont let it slip after 1 round

Back