Drift series, league and club

England
Essex
skillzinsane12
Ok guys so I was thinking of making a drift league or series. And maybe having a drift club. The drift league we be put into 3 categories. Amatuer, Semi-pro, and Pro. Top 2 from Amatuer would be promoted to Semi-Pro. Top 2 from semi-pro would go up to pro, and bottom 2 would be relagted to amatuer. Bottom 2 from pro league would be relegated to semi-pro. Finally the top 2 from each league would all face off in a drift showdown and the winner of this will be the gran turismo drift king.
Judging: Judging will be done by 3 spectators and they will judge like they judge in D1 drift grand prix.
If anyone is interested then please inbox me and I will get a league table done and at the end of each event there will be a video going up. All drifters welcome and you will be judged by experience for initial seeds for each league. Post what you think because this would be awesome to do I will be competing. All drift cars welcome. INBOX IF INTERESTED. WILL POST MORE IF THIS GETS GOING

Good luck with this. The concept sounds interesting, reminds me a lot of Euro football. That said, I think you'll have a tough time getting enough people to show up consistently.

A typical top 16 comp bracket takes anywhere from 2 - 4 hours to do, and that's not including qualifying. You're talking about running three seperate top 16 brackets? That's a huge time commitment on your part.

I also think you need to add more info to the OP in terms of what the rules will be.
- you said "any drift car is eligible"...does this mean AWD ad FWD cars ok?
- is there a HP limit? 100000hp is ok?
- how are you handling hybrids? Are they allowed? If so, how much modding is allowed?
- what tires will be allowed???? (Hint, this is a biggie)

Comps with very vague rules and regulations tend to get very little interest from the community. Usually, if people are going to commit their time to entering a comp, they want reassurances that their time will not be wasted on the day of the comp.

I'd suggest you have a look at a couple of the other comps run off of GTP, like Formula D and VDC.

Ok. I think we will just run 1 league and will do it on runs like D1 Drift Grand prix. Power limit will be 500bhp and no hybrids will be allowed. Tyres will be comfort soft only. RWD AWD allowed. Horsepower limit will be 500bhp. I think I`ll just do it in a league table. We will do qualifiers and top 20 will get in. At the end of each 3 get relegated and 3 more people can qualify. Will do it as a weekly league every Saturday or Sunday depending on time zones. People who qualify and don`t show up will not get any points and get they`re run counted as zero

Ok. I think we will just run 1 league and will do it on runs like D1 Drift Grand prix. Power limit will be 500bhp and no hybrids will be allowed. Tyres will be comfort soft only. RWD AWD allowed.

Yeah, nah, the AWD won't work because of the differences in handling characteristics and the CS are not a popular tyre choice I'm afraid

Comps with very vague rules and regulations tend to get very little interest from the community. Usually, if people are going to commit their time to entering a comp, they want reassurances that their time will not be wasted on the day of the comp.

I'd suggest you have a look at a couple of the other comps run off of GTP, like Formula D and VDC.

He said he'd post more if interest was shown. Can't really jump on him like that.

Ok. I think we will just run 1 league and will do it on runs like D1 Drift Grand prix. Power limit will be 500bhp and no hybrids will be allowed. Tyres will be comfort soft only. RWD AWD allowed. Horsepower limit will be 500bhp. I think I`ll just do it in a league table. We will do qualifiers and top 20 will get in. At the end of each 3 get relegated and 3 more people can qualify. Will do it as a weekly league every Saturday or Sunday depending on time zones. People who qualify and don`t show up will not get any points and get they`re run counted as zero

Well now it sounds like every other generic drift series. Which is what I'd imagine is what twitcher was looking for but (no offence intended twitcher) then it's not much different that could give it that special edge in gathering participants. I really liked the categories idea, very much actually. Would be fun to fight for a top position in a tier or category.

He said he'd post more if interest was shown. Can't really jump on him like that.

Do you not see the chicken and egg problem with this statement?

You're saying that he needs higher interest levels in his comp before he states the rules. But if you knew the drift community at all, you would know that his comp will get little to no interest until he posts the rules....

I've never seen you around the drift forums before, nor have I ever seen you enter in or participate in any of the comps or open lobbies run through GTP. Because of this, I can only assume you are someone who doesn't frequent the drift forums very often.

If you did frequent these forums on a regular basis, then you would know that new comps that have very little information about the rules and regs of said comp, get very little interest from the community. If you reread my post, you will clearly see that I did not tell skillzinsane what rules to adopt for his comp. Rather, I simply stated that he should clarify what the rules will be, if he wants to generate any interest for his comp. I then told him to look at a few of the other successful comps for ideas and/or inspiration.

Well now it sounds like every other generic drift series. Which is what I'd imagine is what twitcher was looking for but (no offence intended twitcher) then it's not much different that could give it that special edge in gathering participants. I really liked the categories idea, very much actually. Would be fun to fight for a top position in a tier or category.

No offense taken, but don't presume to know what I want :lol:

I've been a regular on the drift forums for about a year and a half now. In that time, I, along with all the other regulars, have seen dozens upon dozens of competition OPs (exactly like this one) created. Of those dozens upon dozens, only a small fraction turn into an actual comp....and here's the kicker....of that small fraction of comp OPs that become actual comps, only one, (ONE!!!!) comp has made it through an entire season. Think about that. In a year and a half, ONE comp series has managed to pull off a complete season. I'm not bringing this up to take shots at the people who run some of the other comp series that haven't made it through a whole season. I bring this up as an indication of just how much of work is involved in running a drift comp series (especially one with videos!!), and how much of a time commitment it is. Go as Spank, LV, or Caramel just how "easy" it is to run a successful comp.

What I want, is to see every comp that gets started on GTP to be successful. In my opinion, the definition of a successful comp is one that is run smoothly, executed in a timely fashion, and most importantly, establishes a fair and level playing field for all competitors. I want to see this comp work. That said, with the current lack of attention to detail in the OP (not to mention some of the rules that have since been applied), I highly doubt this will go anywhere. No offense skillzinsane, that's just my opinion.

And just out of curiosity Downhill Dino, how exactly would YOU run a drift comp so that is isn't "just another generic GTP drift comp"? You're not the first person to pop into the drift forums and claim that all the comps here are "generic" or "boring"...yet no one ever seems to come up with workable ideas to make things different. The successful comps are run the way they are because after literally years of trial and error, we have found that the current "generic" format is what works within the limitations of the game.

Do you not see the chicken and egg problem with this statement?

No.

You're saying that he needs higher interest levels in his comp before he states the rules. But if you knew the drift community at all, you would know that his comp will get little to no interest until he posts the rules....

Not necessarily needs more interest, but if he wants more interest. I'll explain as I go.

I've never seen you around the drift forums before, nor have I ever seen you enter in or participate in any of the comps or open lobbies run through GTP. Because of this, I can only assume you are someone who doesn't frequent the drift forums very often.

I recently had my name changed. My name used to be EliteDreamer. I've been here on GTP for 3 years and I've posted a bit here in the drift section. Maybe you'll remember the name from the battle grounds in this drift forum. ;)

If you did frequent these forums on a regular basis, then you would know that new comps that have very little information about the rules and regs of said comp, get very little interest from the community.

I'm not into drift competitions all that much. I'm beginning to immerse myself into the community.

If you reread my post, you will clearly see that I did not tell skillzinsane what rules to adopt for his comp. Rather, I simply stated that he should clarify what the rules will be, if he wants to generate any interest for his comp. I then told him to look at a few of the other successful comps for ideas and/or inspiration.

Yes but completely taking apart his ideas in the process.

No offense taken, but don't presume to know what I want :lol:

Slight difference between "presume" and "imagine."

I've been a regular on the drift forums for about a year and a half now. In that time, I, along with all the other regulars, have seen dozens upon dozens of competition OPs (exactly like this one) created. Of those dozens upon dozens, only a small fraction turn into an actual comp....and here's the kicker....of that small fraction of comp OPs that become actual comps, only one, (ONE!!!!) comp has made it through an entire season. Think about that. In a year and a half, ONE comp series has managed to pull off a complete season. I'm not bringing this up to take shots at the people who run some of the other comp series that haven't made it through a whole season. I bring this up as an indication of just how much of work is involved in running a drift comp series (especially one with videos!!), and how much of a time commitment it is. Go as Spank, LV, or Caramel just how "easy" it is to run a successful comp.

Why do the ones that do start running never finish?

What I want, is to see every comp that gets started on GTP to be successful. In my opinion, the definition of a successful comp is one that is run smoothly, executed in a timely fashion, and most importantly, establishes a fair and level playing field for all competitors. I want to see this comp work. That said, with the current lack of attention to detail in the OP (not to mention some of the rules that have since been applied), I highly doubt this will go anywhere. No offense skillzinsane, that's just my opinion.

Not much need for extra detail if no one is interested. Little on the wasted effort side of things. I can see a circle being drawn now...

And just out of curiosity Downhill Dino, how exactly would YOU run a drift comp so that is isn't "just another generic GTP drift comp"? You're not the first person to pop into the drift forums and claim that all the comps here are "generic" or "boring"...yet no one ever seems to come up with workable ideas to make things different. The successful comps are run the way they are because after literally years of trial and error, we have found that the current "generic" format is what works within the limitations of the game.

As I've said above, I don't really participate in drifting competitions. You would rather find me over in the Racing Series section of GTP, where I race, not drift. I'm not too into the idea of drifting competitively but certain aspects win me over. How'd I'd run a series? I wouldn't, I'd spend that time with a racing series.

If I've missed something I do apologize, sleep isn't a virtue of mine.

What's wrong with this community??? Not everyone on here (on GTP) has been here for years, some are new and some are old. This drift forum is pathetic as hell, it sucks that all I do is drift and can't rely on it for information without it being bias and being a "GTP thing".

If someone wants to do something, let them! Some ideas are dumb and some are good, but who holds the right to distinguish the two? Don't get me wrong, I consider myself proper as hell but I'm not gonna tell no one to do anything, they can do whatever they want.

Last post in the Drift Forum, aside team thread.

Comfort Hard tyres then. Will be done where people have to fight for their places. RWD and FWD. 500BHP limit. If this thing goes ahead I`ll finalise the rules. Just need more interest

Hey, Im just wondering why are you allowing FWD cars in a drifting event?

+10 for Bluntified I agree with you brother.

So to the OP does this mean I can bring out my NSX that everyone in our community dislikes because it is MR. Or my Ford GT? I cant imagine how much speed I will be able to get out of corners with CS on my MR setups hope you boys can keep up :)

Last edited:
You could perhaps also have random battles, Drifter-a meets with Drifter-b and 3 valid judges are present / called in, to judge and witness.

Do the battle, report back to here with witness approval it happened the way they say it happened (no fixing).

You know why most competitions do not go all through untill the really end? Immaturity of the players.

People stop showing up to the rounds in a exponentially way, round after round the number of players drop, look VDC for example, Spank had to re-open the sign up! And don't blame him, because he followed the schudle like he should, you guys that ditched it in a very shameful way. Shame on you guys.

Edit: When someone tries to do something different, you guys always try to make it like anything else, by setting your own rules, making yes, everything looks like the same.

Section drift, bracket 16, one winner, Comfort Hard tires and FR vehicle. Always like that. What changes? Your S14 to a Supra? :lol:

What's wrong with this community??? Not everyone on here (on GTP) has been here for years, some are new and some are old. This drift forum is pathetic as hell, it sucks that all I do is drift and can't rely on it for information without it being bias and being a "GTP thing".

If someone wants to do something, let them! Some ideas are dumb and some are good, but who holds the right to distinguish the two? Don't get me wrong, I consider myself proper as hell but I'm not gonna tell no one to do anything, they can do whatever they want.

Last post in the Drift Forum, aside team thread.

I obviously disagree very much. Why not share our information ,as more experienced drifters, and some with real life experience, with people that are new to the forum? Why not give them pointers towards the generally accepted use of tire, drivetrain, and other rules?

Mih
You know why most competitions do not go all through untill the really end? Immaturity of the players.

People stop showing up to the rounds in a exponentially way, round after round the number of players drop, look VDC for example, Spank had to re-open the sign up! And don't blame him, because he followed the schudle like he should, you guys that ditched it in a very shameful way. Shame on you guys.

Edit: When someone tries to do something different, you guys always try to make it like anything else, by setting your own rules, making yes, everything looks like the same.

Section drift, bracket 16, one winner, Comfort Hard tires and FR vehicle. Always like that. What changes? Your S14 to a Supra? :lol:

It's not always immaturity of the players. The biggest fault of the VDC season that got canceled half way, was the way of selecting Judges. I left the competition, and most other competitions on GT5 because of that reason.

And making things look 'the same' means it isn't complete chaos. How do you want to explain drifting if everyone does it differently?

With grip racing, if people change regulations, it becomes another type of competition. For example, Nascar compared to Formula 1. You can do this to Drifting as such, too. But it will definitely confuse those that aren't introduced to the drifting regulations.
Which makes it for me: Keep the regulations on a basic level, the same.
Like Soccer. That is played everywhere around the world with nearly the same rules. And nonetheless it's considered the most widespread sport there is.

I wonder why you left competitions because of the judges... maybe because they did not make you win? Well, whatever to me, really. :lol:

With grip racing you can do a lot of new stuff and nobody will try to turn your competition into the same GT500 race, as you guys ever do with the drift.

If someone wants to try something new, let them try it, instead of tell them to act according to what the "drifting community" thinks of.

With grip racing, if people change regulations, it becomes another type of competition. For example, Nascar compared to Formula 1. You can do this to Drifting as such, too. But it will definitely confuse those that aren't introduced to the drifting regulations.
Which makes it for me: Keep the regulations on a basic level, the same.
Like Soccer. That is played everywhere around the world with nearly the same rules. And nonetheless it's considered the most widespread sport there is.

Wait what? I am completely confused. :indiff:

Mih
I wonder why you left competitions because of the judges... maybe because they did not make you win? Well, whatever to me, really. :lol:

With grip racing you can do a lot of new stuff and nobody will try to turn your competition into the same GT500 race, as you guys ever do with the drift.

If someone wants to try something new, let them try it, instead of tell them to act according to what the "drifting community" thinks of.

Who are you dude? And why do you think you can make generalized assumptions about people you don't even know...

If you we're actually around GTP when VDC was running, you would know that Dom (aka Gonales) was winning the division she was competing in. Your assumption that she left because she wasn't winning is laughable.

Perhaps you should spend some time observing the GTP community and getting to know the various personalities, before you start trying to call people out.

Why instead of attack me, you don't explain why people quit VDC at the point that forced Spank to re-open the sign-ups? That would be... really interesting to read. And 3rd is not winning. It is losing, same as 2nd and 8th...

And for your good information, do you know you can read this forum even without being a member, right?

Now that's laughable. :lol:

Mih
Why instead of attack me, you don't explain why people quit VDC at the point that forced Spank to re-open the sign-ups? That would be... really interesting to read. And 3rd is not winning. It is losing, same as 2nd and 8th...

And for your good information, do you know you can read this forum even without being a member, right?

Now that's laughable. :lol:

I "attacked" you because you made a stupid statement, and because you have come across as a now-it-all smart 🤬 in nearly all of the posts I've seen you make since you joined GTP.

As for VDC....you expect me to know the personal reasons why each individual decided to not compete on VDC??? I'm not a mind reader :lol: There are an infinite number of valid reasons why someone would quit a comp.

As for VDC....you expect me to know the personal reasons why each individual decided to not compete on VDC??? I'm not a mind reader :lol: There are an infinite number of valid reasons why someone would quit a comp.

Respect and commitment to show up in a competition that they choosed themselves to participate sure isn't one of their reasons. :lol: Because if they had a bit of respect for the job and time Spank was spending to run it, they wouldn't quit.

Mih
Respect and commitment to show up in a competition that they choosed themselves to participate sure isn't one of their reasons. :lol: Because if they had a bit of respect for the job and time Spank was spending to run it, they wouldn't quit.

I agree with you in that if someone signs up for something like a drift comp, they should try their best to show up as much as possible.

That said, we all have lives....I don't know too many people who can allocate 2-3 hours in the middle of their Sunday for 5-8 consecutive weeks for video games, and who can guarantee that real life won't interfere.

This last particular season of VDC didn't end simply because "everyone quit". There was a number of reasons it ended.
- some people quit
- some people's schedules changed, and they could no longer make the events.
- Spank clearly said that he no longer had time to run it due to events in his personal life
- and lastly, the Hybrid Outbreak happened smack dab in the middle of the VDC season. It would have been nice if everyone had time focus on both competing in VDC as well as playing with all the new Hybrids, but as someone who has limited time to play GT5, and after having played it nearly since release, I can understand why people would decide to spend their GT5 time messing around with Hybrids as opposed to carrying on with VDC.

I'll address one more thing you said earlier
Mih

Section drift, bracket 16, one winner, Comfort Hard tires and FR vehicle. Always like that. What changes? Your S14 to a Supra?

First of, "us guys" don't try to make everything the same by setting our own rules. Take this "comp" for example. The OP can create any kind of comp he likes, with whatever rules he wants. However, if he wants people to actually enter his comp, he needs to make the rules of the comp appeal to the people he would like to have enter it (ie, "us guys"). No one in their right mind is going to enter a comp where they disagree with the rules. If this OP can find enough people interested in a drift comp with FF cars on CS tires, by all means, GO FOR IT....good luck finding people though.

Secondly, Section drift, bracket 16, one winner, Comfort Hard tires and FR vehicle.....I asked the same thing of someone earlier in this thread....if you don't like that type of comp format, what would YOU do different, and how would you ensure a fair comp with those differences? I'm interested to hear your ideas. I'm hoping your's will be better than the previous response I got to that question.

Edit: Forgot to mention. If you become an active member of the drift scene, you'll very quickly realize the we actually do run different comp formats. We have Limbo comps, Entry comps, Tandem comps, etc etc. The thing is, many of these comps happen in private lounges, and aren't actually advertised on GTP. Random people who only observe GTP as guests tend to not get invited to these events...

Last edited:
Mih

Who are you and who are you to judge the GTP community?. We're all
Friends here every body knows every body, so some randomer like you isn't going to change anything lol. My guess is we all know you and your in vdc, this is probably a second account that you made to attack people on GTP about vdc closing. For that reason I am going to report you and let the mods check out my assumptions.

Last edited:
Why is everyone so worried about who am i? :lol:

People judge everyone and everything all the time, when you first meet someone you already judge them, if that judgement changes or not is irrelevant. Also DeeDub, don't come with me with that argument about you all being friends, because me, you and everyone else knows that is not true. There are separate groups of friends and people who can't stand each other, lots of gossip and politics around here.

And no, i wasn't in VDC, but i know what happened and nothing will change my mind that the ones who quit, lacked respect, because if you knew you wouldn't have time in the future for be able to show up, you shouldn't even registred. For those who had a real reason to quit, those are free from this judgement.

Edit: Deedub, i know you, please don't get offended by my posts. :lol:

Last edited:
^^^

Not part of this VDC discussion. Im sure people had their reasons. Whether it be bored of the game, feelings of biased judging, or just felt like they wanted to win to bad and when they didint make top 8 or dint advance to fantastic 4 or whatever the case may be. I know i did my ut most best to make this comp was fair and fun for everybody it was bad that we could only do top 8, but they also voted for two series making it even more difficult for me.

I did feel feel respected by most of our senior members like lukas, ohno , lerk etc. But the new comers made comments to me that made me feel like me taking 8 hours each day on my days off to dedicate it to them were not appreciated. I try my hardest every season to make sure everything is fair for everyone but my tough judging threw them off for whatever reason.

I will no longer make comps for the gtp community that are like VDC. I just hope the people who did participate every week were having fun and enjoyed the friendly competition i tried to make for the gtp drift community.

I hope in the future i will have more time to run something or even compete in other members comp. But for now i am to tied up with real life stuff and may put most of my attention in working myself to my dream of being a drifter such as my home twist has done.

Now lets end the VDC discussion and give the thread back to its owner.

Back