Drift Techniques

• Thread starter $u!$l!d3
  • 57 comments
Ryen49

GT rev matches for you.... Which is what you do when you heel toe so its the exact same thing.. I am right.

SHIFT LOCK- is when you downshift without heel toeing causing a disruption in the drivetrain forcing the engine to match rev's causing the rear tires to break lose...

ive been watching this debate for days, I gotta say Ryen49 is right. Shiftlocking would cause a large jolt breaking traction loose, which just doesnt happen in GT4 like he said. Since the revs are matched, there is no true shift lock, and you cant even say its a partial shift lock because the whole point of shift lock is to force the engine to match the revs with no input from the driver (or the helpful GT4 Assist in this case). Although I can see why one might think this is shift lock, producing similar effects although it is really just downshifting with lift-off.

As far as the debate over heel-toe and double clutching....im not going to get into that but if youre not on the brake at all wouldnt it just be double clutching? I may be wrong, I still dont fully understand either of them.

EDIT: for the record I admit to pulling most of this out of my 🤬. Its kinda common sense if you think about it.

d3p0
Hum, time to do some testing.

"In GT You cannot do only clutch kick."

Oh no? :)

Nope! :) Can't happen.

I'm going to amend this. There is the possibility to upset the rear traction by shifting. However, it will not be enough to initiate a drift unless paired with other techniques like feinting. I have noticed that sometimes when I downshift I get a little chirp on the wheels, but it's nothing like what would happen in a real car.

Would anyone be able to help me? my carlton seems at its best in second gear only problem is the car has pretty wide gears would lengthening the second gear be a wise thing to do? i dont really want to mess up my settings but i would like to keep the car in the powerband i basically want to know how to keep the car at its peak for longer( i dont have a triple clutch or racing flywheel fitted yet)

akak
Would anyone be able to help me? my carlton seems at its best in second gear only problem is the car has pretty wide gears would lengthening the second gear be a wise thing to do? i dont really want to mess up my settings but i would like to keep the car in the powerband i basically want to know how to keep the car at its peak for longer( i dont have a triple clutch or racing flywheel fitted yet)

You answered your own question bud. I would suggest getting some cash together(doing the easy Alfia(sp) rally race in the dirt and snow section) and getting your drivetrain up to specs. Then of course making your gear ratios a bit shorter may just help. But that depends on style. I like to have mine on the short side for drifting. It helps make throttle control easier for me.

This maggkrabar guy is trying to say that he uses shift lock as a way of inducing drift and passing cars in endurance races.

That about sums it up..

See post 23.

It cannot be used effectively, and even if it could be used effectively, I wouldn't.

*wanders off quietly*

Sloth
This maggkrabar guy is trying to say that he uses shift lock as a way of inducing drift and passing cars in endurance races.

That about sums it up..

See post 23.

It cannot be used effectively, and even if it could be used effectively, I wouldn't.

*wanders off quietly*
👍

I didn't see if any one use drifts(fast, not show drift, not the same) in Endurance. You know, the most important factor in Endurance is tire wear. So I'm using racing slicks hard and Fast Drift in Endurance. Fast drift? Fun and more speed, and not so harmful influence for tires as it in show drifting. Other cars pits on every 7-8-9 lap, but me - on every 10-11. Why? Hard slicks + fast drift. On some turns I start doing braking drift, then quick stop Braking Drift and start Shift Lock(release brake and downshift(without brake!)+turn wheel), wait enough to break car balance and rear traction, then step on gas and perform Fast Drift with light oversteer. My entering speed is not so good, but on turns middle and exit I'm faster than other cars and can intake them. That's all.

Drifting is the fastest way through a corner, and makes full use of the tire’s capabilities.

CarDrift.Com

In that reason I'm using Fast Drift at Endurance with proper suspension setup :) For speed and fun. Soon I will try it with XlinkKAI against good GT4 players and will check is Fast Drift faster than Grip. I think YES, it is! What do You think?

Don't even THINK about bringing this topic back up. It has been severely debated, and has been agreed that grip is the fastest. Don't make judgements from one site, especially a drifting site.

Well guys havent been about for a few days but it is good to see that the thread has gone into some real detail and depth just reading the post gives you a better understanding off the way drifting works and the physics involved keep it up.

MdnIte
Don't even THINK about bringing this topic back up. It has been severely debated, and has been agreed that grip is the fastest. Don't make judgements from one site, especially a drifting site.
👍
be cool sure I know that very well. shame on me...

I'd make a stupid mistake, sorry. Not Double Clutch.

GT software - clutch, revs up, downshift, clutch. And Shift Lock is forbidden... but only for DS2 :)

edit: with wheel and pedals it is possible to "cheat" GT auto "heel-toe". Brake 100% then release 50-70% of brake and try Shift Lock. You have to release 50-70% of brake before turn wheel - to leave enough traction for front tires.
http://www.auto-ware.com/setup/fc1.htm

maggkrabar
👍
be cool sure I know that very well. shame on me...

I'd make a stupid mistake, sorry. Not Double Clutch.

GT software - clutch, revs up, downshift, clutch. And Shift Lock is forbidden... but only for DS2 :)

DFP as well. there is no availibility of a clutch in GT4.

Thank you for making that even more clear than it already should be to some.

I would almost suggest closing this thread because all of the information in the first post was taken from this site: http://www.driftsession.com/technique.htm

Also, no effort was made to present the information in a way that it applies 100% to GT4.

ie. Excluding the points which you heel-toe (since it does that automatically).

I dunno guys. This one's a givertake.

Maybe review the thread and see if it's worth continuing.

:odd:

Drifting is the fastest way through a corner, and makes full use of the tire’s capabilities.

I lol'ed out loud!
I could probably beat him by using grip and not drift. Cause for the Suzuka Enduro I pit every 14-16 laps in my Opera S2000 with Racing Super Hard tires. I went into a slide a few times which sent me into walls when I tried controlling it.

Grip will always beat drift
Drifting isn't the fastest way around, its the more fun than Grip.

I lol'ed out loud!
I could probably beat him by using grip and not drift. Cause for the Suzuka Enduro I pit every 14-16 laps in my Opera S2000 with Racing Super Hard tires. I went into a slide a few times which sent me into walls when I tried controlling it.

I hope so...

VERY GOOD LIST, BUT ON THE POWER OVER DRIFT I CAN'T GET THE BACK END OUT. Should I put a ballast weight in the back at the max weight?

Could you tell us what car your using? Along with the Hp figures and tire setup, and if you having all AIDS off.

Grip will always beat drift
Drifting isn't the fastest way around, its the more fun than Grip. I totally agree.

I have all aids off manual tans car: crysler crossfire tires: n1s or n2s : 350hp I find it harder to drift at 250hp

I actually have many cars and a lot of money so I can afford anything just tell me what to do and I'll do it

I even have a supra with exactly 250hp but I can't keep a consistant speed with it. the top speed is like 140mph

I couldn't even try drifting with it because it was to slow to even make it aorund the corner without drifting, but that might just be me because I am so used to driving fast cars or race cars. Drifting is the fastest way through a corner.
I disagree becuse I can hit corners at at least and at the lowest speed 80mph in the formula gran turismo.

Drifting is not the fastest way through a corner.

should I put a ballast weight in the back of my crossfire???
what do u think? I just bought a Mercedes-Benz SLR Mclaren and it has this fin that goes up when you brake and it makes it hard to do certain types of drifting. I would advise you not to buy it for the price it is for drifting, but it is very fast when all the upgrades are equiped!!!

I really Stress that you use the edit button and think all your questions at once to avoid multiple postings.

gt addict - Use the edit button. I have just merged 7 posts from you in a row. :grumpy:

Woo hoo, an E-bate on drifting in a video game, especially one that has about 3 functional ways to enter a drift. Possibly 4. Seriously, this entire thread could have been deleted altogether.

Back