Drift Tune

Yeah I've read everything, I'm not posting for fun 👎 Just by saying they're better at tuning for drag that we are at tuning for drifting you're making a big comparison, don't you get it...?

Is that enough, or do i need to draw?

Really funny, I'm not a stupid kid that you can make fun of ok... 👎

Yeah I've read everything, I'm not posting for fun 👎 Just by saying they're better at tuning for drag that we are at tuning for drifting you're making a big comparison, don't you get it...?

Disagreed.
Our culture is "tunning must fit to the drifter´s style". Their culture is "tunning must fit to the car itself". Our thing have a lot more technique envolved than their thing.

Disagreed.
Our culture is "tunning must fit to the drifter´s style". Their culture is "tunning must fit to the car itself". Our thing have a lot more technique envolved than their thing.

Exactly, like I said, two very different things. But whatever dude, this is getting nowhere because you don't seem to get my point. I'm done arguing.

Although you said you're done, you're continuously avoiding major points maveric, not just here, but in any argument you decide to waltz into. Step off the high horse before making a "point" that you seem to think you have. You even quit on an argument you can't win in, nor have anything constructive to say. Just trying to help you off that horse before you fall off and bruise yourself.

Although you said you're done, you're continuously avoiding major points maveric, not just here, but in any argument you decide to waltz into. Step off the high horse before making a "point" that you seem to think you have. You even quit on an argument you can't win in, nor have anything constructive to say. Just trying to help you off that horse before you fall off and bruise yourself.

Yes... :rolleyes:

Im going to get a tune from the drag forums and put it on one of my cars and see if it will drift.... Im kinda suprised no one has done so yet.. You guys can keep arguing...

Mav true or false these threads are making ....
40d6161b.jpg

And they need to make one of these for posting on GTP.
48d9181b.jpg

Yup because everyone drifts with the rear end fully raised :indiff:

*sarcasm*

Hahahahaha... golden!

Oh, by the way... i did it. And so far all i can say is apologise myself to Mav and Fox... sounds like they don´t know what they are doing as i imagined. But the thread is just starting, lets see where it goes.

Last edited:
Disappointing.
I'm amused though

Drag Tunes tend to maximize Front-to-rear weight transfer off of the line so the rear tires get maximized grip under forward acceleration
Irl, but in GT5? In the most cases not, by far the most cases....
, and have transmission ratios selected to maximize smooth, even acceleration between 0-150mph or so, speeds that drift cars do not exceed during cornering.
You see that the wheels spin while drifting? I'm sure you're not using a gear which is set to 50mph when you're drifting a corner with 50mph sideways speed. The gear is usually a bit longer, isn't it?
Just because a car has maximized its acceleration, does not mean that it has poor handling.
Oh they handle terrible! I mean really, it's awful and a pain in the a:censored:. No comparison to good circuit tunes or even drift tunes.
A properly tuned car can accelerate a quarter mile within a tenth of a second of its max potential without having prohibitively detrimental understeer.
No, this is definitely not the case with the huuuuge majority of all RWD cars. There are some extremely weak RWD cars which may allow tuning this way, but believe me, you wouldn't voluntarily drift them either.
As long as the tires are not under considerable Toe-in, they can drift just fine and accelerate out of corners exceedingly well.
Dude! Toe is one of the essential things for drag racing and is, especially if you tune for 1/4, set to extremely high values, unless you tune some ****** low powered :censored:boxes. But you don't drift them anyway most of the time.

Drag tunes usually have a raised rear end without extremely tight suspensions, so during cornering and braking the rear wheels tend to lose traction very quickly under this weight transfer (both longitudinal and lateral).
Just sad that most RWD drag cars in GT5 don't have such a big maximal amount of weight transfer.
The transmissions are tuned so that they have the closest amount of grip they can get at full throttle, which allows a car to be relatively stable under extreme input during or on exit of a corner.
If you mean starting gear: No, we always try to set it as long as possible (without having certain negative effects on acceleration), but this is exactly what makes the car... ehh more unstable, although RWD drag cars are never unstable, unless it's an aero tune, but which occasionally only matters if you tune for longer distances.

If you mean close gear ratios: Not sure why you use the word grip, but yeah close gear ratios are advantageous
It is not a coincidence that almost all of these qualities are also beneficial to drift tuning.
From my experience not that much.
It *is* a case by case scenario, and a full-tuned drag car will not drift perfectly, just as a full-tuned drift car will not drag race at its peak performance,
True! 👍
but it is very possible, likely, and relatively easy to tune the car to do both jobs relatively easily,
Ahhhh! Less true! Much less..... 👎
especially if it is tuned to drag race on lower G-rating tires.
:odd: When the f..... a Fiat 500 maybe, but that's pointless.

The only feature of a drag tune that would make a car prohibitively poor to drift is an extreme toe-in on the front or rear wheels that might cancel out any oversteer.
Rear toe is normally set to an extremely high positive value in the rear if you tune for 1/4mile
However, a minor amount in some cars is perfectly acceptable and even easier to control, and even with extreme toe, an experienced drifter can still drift (albeit not very well) without needing inherent oversteer.
Many things are possible, but if it's good and useful is another question.

The simple fact of the matter is that for a car to function properly in any circumstance, drag, drift, or track racing, the tuning must be balanced enough that it is capable of being controlled relatively easily to produce maximum, consistent results. Drifting is so much about car control that whether or not you are a capable driver determines more of how well a car can drift, than its tune. If you can't drift a decent drag car, then you must learn to drift better. Slap some CH tires on a drag tuned 1970 Challenger R/T and if you can't drift it, then you need to improve. My current Challenger tune drifts beautifully on CH, with max power and minimum weight and a drag-tuned transmission.
No compromises for serious drag racing, therefore hardly manageable.

Are drag tunes better than drift tunes, for drifting? No.
I agree!
Are they viable to use in a drift car? Of course.
Mate, it's about how much sense it makes, not if it's possible.
Can a car be okay at drag racing and drifting? Easily.
No

Don't be closed minded.
I do both drag racing/tuning and drifting/tuning (drift tuning only for myself though), heck I even tune for circuit racing, but yes, that's another story.
Hahahahaha... golden!

Oh, by the way... i did it. And so far all i can say is apologise myself to Mav and Fox... sounds like they don´t know what they are doing as i imagined. But the thread is just starting, lets see where it goes.
I'm not really amused to hear this.

Last edited:
Don´t worry. You was the first glint of hope that i saw on that thread.
The thing is that most people are not really into drifting, even though some of them might be thinking they were, because they've never seen the serious ..... let's call it "professional" part of it.
If you can drift a sweet line, full throttle and with smoking your tyres around some corners then that's surely nice, but you're missing a lot then.

I think everybody who never did serious tandem drifting should go and try to catch up on this. It's about having the absolute control, style, coordination (sometimes), etc while going or better aiming to the limit's beyond the limit (somehow at least :dopey: ). Uh well, it's hard to explain, but I hope you guys get what I mean.

And no, I really don't think drag tunes are good for this. They react too harsh, are by far not smooth enough, have a very small working ..... ehm gripband for drifting (sorry, can't explain better), are relatively unforgiveable, don't allow big, or better, quick consecutive corrections and aren't really inspiring much confidence.
This is just how I see it (actually way more to tell, but I don't want to unnecessarily bore you). :)

Most cars (especially s-chassi's, FC's etc) can be drifted fluently 100% stock, so saying 'drag tunes work well' isn't really saying much.

Most setup variations drift well

Drift tunes are designed to drift Very Well

Why would you want to drift with a drag setup in the first place? I wouldn't use a drift setup to go rallying with. Seriously there is a purpose which each setup is meant to do. Hardly no why you guy's are arguing whether a drag setup can drift. Who cares? Use a drift setup. Only see you using a drag setup to make yourself look better or something? Just making it harder for yourself. Clueless much.

I've always looked at the two disciplines as parallels to school subjects. Drag racing is math; especially in GT5, where the tire model is so utterly primitive that you don't have to worry about torque-steer veering you off course during Route X runs. It's a one-button affair, the tuning is the big difference, and the end goal? The lowest possible time, no if's, and's, or but's. Minimizing wheel-spin and maximizing acceleration, those are the big obstacles to overcome.

Drifting (tuning), at least on a serious level, is more akin to English; the objective is to be subjective. There can be general "base tunes" that get a car rotating quicker than stock, that make it more malleable when it's exceeded it's grip limits, so it's more friendly when sideways, giving the driver more options: but each driver wants different options. For a lot of people, that might be a very similar answer sheet, but it's still different. I might like a bit more initial turn-in oversteer than a friend, or vice versa. It's a matter of taste, much like creative writing is. We all have our own styles, both as the writer, and reader.

You could make a tune that could perform moderately well for drag, and could adjust your driving style to make it work for drifting, but you end up with that whole "Jack of all trades, master of none" thing. Considering this is a game, and you can easily own endless copies of cars, why intentionally hobble yourself with one do-it-all car when you can have them tailored, like a well-fitting suit, to specific jobs?

Unless GT6 introduces some automotive triathlon that bars tuning between events, which could be a lot of fun...

Most cars (especially s-chassi's, FC's etc) can be drifted fluently 100% stock, so saying 'drag tunes work well' isn't really saying much.

Most setup variations drift well

Drift tunes are designed to drift Very Well
Well, drag tunes are worse for drifting than stock settings.

When a troll....

16 days, no response.. So you decide to respond with this utterly pointless comment that achieved nothing at all. People like you that annoy me. Bring pointless threads back to surface with even more pointless garbage comments. Troll denied. Now run along and curl back up under your bridge.

GODfrey is right.. Most of the common drift cars do drift reasonably well stock so saying drag tunes work well doesnt mean much at all..

I just :lol: at this entire thing.

Also, conversation ended after Slip posted.

Slip's either so correct that there's nothing left to say, or...

Everyone ran away...

I'm gonna think it's the first one, say that we reached an agreement, and ask Slip to close this...

Drag tunes are for drag drift tunes are for drift end of discussion
EXACTLY!!! A tune is your tune and sometime tunes wont work with some people and others love it.A tune is enjoyed by the person who tuned the car and as long as you are comfortable and love your tune thats all that matters.I missed slips post he nailed it.👍:dunce:And that why i have over 50 gto's and not 1 is alike some are tuned for differnt tracks some for speed some for angle some for a mix of both but as long as your happy and comfortable with your tune who cares.:crazy:

Last edited:
BABYdBABYd
EXACTLY!!! A tune is your tune and sometime tunes wont work with some people and others love it.A tune is enjoyed by the person who tuned the car and as long as you are comfortable and love your tune thats all that matters.I missed slips post he nailed it.👍:dunce:And that why i have over 50 gto's and not 1 is alike some are tuned for differnt tracks some for speed some for angle some for a mix of both but as long as your happy and comfortable with your tune who cares.:crazy:

Exactly.

I don't know why people are hating so much on this guy for putting a different style tune on his car and sharing his ideas. It works for him not you so why complain?

16 days, no response.. So you decide to respond with this utterly pointless comment that achieved nothing at all. People like you that annoy me. Bring pointless threads back to surface with even more pointless garbage comments. Troll denied. Now run along and curl back up under your bridge.

GODfrey is right.. Most of the common drift cars do drift reasonably well stock so saying drag tunes work well doesnt mean much at all..

Is it bad for me to reply to a post like everyone else?
I'm sorry if my three words made you have to think a little.
Was my FIRST "Actual" day on the forums and I went late night forum reading.
No need for your "pointless" response.
By the way, trollmission ACCOMPURISHHH

Is it bad for me to reply to a post like everyone else?
I'm sorry if my three words made you have to think a little.
Was my FIRST "Actual" day on the forums and I went late night forum reading.
No need for your "pointless" response.
By the way, trollmission ACCOMPURISHHH

May I also say that you shouldn't troll or start arguing with other members otherwise you or they will soon become noticed by the moderators and we may not have a Drift forum at all. We have already been warned and told to change our ways so lets begin changing.

Latest Posts

Back