Drifting Needs More Attention

• Thread starter Rdp616
  • 44 comments

Rdp616

(Banned)
United States
SW, PA
Suzukiboi
Let's face it, it was massively popular in the last 2 installments. Arguably just as many drift rooms as race rooms at times, if not more. And they are already popping up everywhere on GT Sport even though it's nearly impossible to drift at the moment.

I got way more enjoyment out of drifting in GT6 than racing. Racing was simply a blood bath at times where as drifting was 95% of the time, was pure sportsmanship. Especially in the Japanese rooms, how organized some of the competitions were was absolutely amazing, and a blast at that.

You could argue that GT Sport, as well as the others were purely a racing game and that drifting was merely just something that happens to go on in the game.. But, there's still drift challenges and drift mode, so why hasn't the technical aspects of drifting been shown any attention? Along with there not even being a single drift car in GT sport.

For example, i've been wanting a steering angle adjustment since GT5. This alone would help out GT's drifting community a bunch! A more responsive E-brake would be helpful too, i noticed some cars in Sport, it barely engages while others it doesn't engage at all.

It's not really asking for much, i just feel if you're even going to mention drifting in your game, at least show some attention to it, especially when it's arguably the most popular Motorsport in your home country.

There is noting wrong with the drifting.

Not saying it's impossible, i manage but try it with a DS4 vs Your fully supported wheel.. Totally different story, can't get nearly as much angle as before without spinning out. Could do backwards entries all day in GT5-GT6. It's broken, even Polyphony has acknowledged it, look at the news section in the game..

With that being said, this isn't about the Physics. More about some additional adjustments in the game to benefit drifting.

Last edited:
Controlling a slide with the DS4 is broken. There was a thread on it a few days ago about how you can’t recover from a slide and it is the same problem in drifting. PD says they have a fix for it in the next update so hopefully that fixes it.

Controlling a slide with the DS4 is broken. There was a thread on it a few days ago about how you can’t recover from a slide and it is the same problem in drifting. PD says they have a fix for it in the next update so hopefully that fixes it.

If you are drifting with a DS4 then switch your controller steering sensitivity to 7. You can access that in the advanced settings.

If you are drifting with a DS4 then switch your controller steering sensitivity to 7. You can access that in the advanced settings.
It does help bit, but no you still can't get in more angle without spinning out since it is impossible to recover it while getting more angle. And i think drifting need add more smoke too hope they improve drifting feel whole a lot in next patch.

Impossible to drift? No, drifting feels great in this game. Just as enjoyable, if not more than GT6.

EDIT: Offscreen footage of my replay

Would love to see that with the input meters on screen..

Just wondering if this is still at play. This is from way back at closed beta. First video is g29 full acceleration lock to lock. The second is same with ds4..

Have to make the comparison again..

Impossible to drift? No, drifting feels great in this game. Just as enjoyable, if not more than GT6.

How can you feel good when there is almost no smoke in tyre while you drifting. In GT6 tyre smoke really make drifting feel good

i agree drifting need more attention, now is too shallow.

Attachments

• 22790862_10212771183127907_475454742_o.jpg
    22790862_10212771183127907_475454742_o.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 22813023_10212771183167908_463706943_o.jpg
    22813023_10212771183167908_463706943_o.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 45
Not about tire smoke, it's about the feeling of drifting with a wheel. Tire smoke would be nice but I'd imagine the frame rate would take a hit so it doesn't really bother me.

Would love to see that with the input meters on screen..

Just wondering if this is still at play. This is from way back at closed beta. First video is g29 full acceleration lock to lock. The second is same with ds4..

Have to make the comparison again..

Yes, it is still a problem. If in the second video you got just a little more angle the car would have been lost like in the first. This is just a theory but I think that the way steering angle is limited with speed on the DS4 so that people wouldn't be under steering all the time is being carried over to when you drift or slide and that is when you need all the steering angle you can get.

Hopefully the oversteer DS4 problem gets the fix this week.

The tracks, cars and controller setting are very limited but I'm still somewhat excited for drifting.

Only under certain conditions does the wheel not correct quickly enough. If the car transitions very aggressively, you're doomed. Other than that if you're very careful you can drift just fine. Just keep those transitions in check, because some can be unrecoverable.

Only under certain conditions does the wheel not correct quickly enough. If the car transitions very aggressively, you're doomed. Other than that if you're very careful you can drift just fine. Just keep those transitions in check, because some can be unrecoverable.
You can drift just fine with a DS4?

I'm controlling the cars very carefully on a DS4 and it is not fine. Only OKish, not fine.

I don't know about DS4, but with the wheel, the pedal response is wrong. I cannot do the same things I could in GT6. Now I have to frantically move my wheel because I can't ask reliably power between 50% and 100%. See the pedal discussions in the bug thread and "gas pedal not calibrated".

You can drift just fine with a DS4?

I'm controlling the cars very carefully on a DS4 and it is not fine. Only OKish, not fine.
Yeah it's a bit difficult but I got the hang of it.

First of all (and this is something I've been saying for years). Comfort Hard tyres are ridiculous. You can slide of the track without moving. Comfort Medium is a good move, with tyre wear turned off. use a standard GT86, power it up all the way (just makes it easier), off you go. I have DS4 sensitivity set to 5 if that helps at all, just be careful to not overdo the angle and turn all driving aids off, ABS I leave on Default.

Im not a big drifter, but can you please tell me how you setup a drift car: which tires, gears and other setups?

If PD even uses 10 min of their human resources on drifting rather then getting more circuits and cars into the game i will fly to Japan and demonstrate outside their HQ! :mad:

*edit

at least they can expect an REALLY angry letter

Its about time they added extra steering angle. Having it stock got quite boring. Now if only they could fix the clutch & the silly loss of traction when getting angle.

Back