Drifting "The Stowe"

• Thread starter TexRex
  • 30 comments

How would take this shallow corner?

• Slide through.

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Power through.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I'd do it like this: (detailed response)

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
United States
a baby, candy, it's like taking.
TexRex72
I was in a room last night and while other players respected me, there was no response to a question I had:

When running the entire track as a reverse layout, am I expected to slide into the shallow left at the end of the longer straight (diagonal to the front straight) or power through, roasting my front tires with understeer in the process, and only dift the actual corner. I was in a Lexus GS 300 '00 with a hair under 500hp on CH with ABS off. Any insight is appreciated.

Just for 🤬 and grins, I threw in a poll.

I'm confused. Stowe the corner, on the full Silverstone, but in reverse?

Can't say I've ever driven it that way.

To attack Stowe in the normal direction tends to need lots of speed, then initiate the slide on the brakes, then power into the slide and out of the corner.

I was hoping it would be a thread about the Stowe circuit itself.

You are meant to run the white line (or the wall in its defect) , relying on inertia on the entry and power on the exit, if that's what you meant.

I'm confused. Stowe the corner, on the full Silverstone, but in reverse?

Can't say I've ever driven it that way.

To attack Stowe in the normal direction tends to need lots of speed, then initiate the slide on the brakes, then power into the slide and out of the corner.

I was hoping it would be a thread about the Stowe circuit itself.
For the past month the drifting community has started running Stowe Circuit backwards because the first corner (going backwards) is a high speed entry with a wall tap. How I usually take it is when i see the end of the pit wall on the left I know that's my initiation point. Swing the rear out to the wall then back over and slight e brake. Depending on how fast you were going initially will determine if you slide in or power through. If I'm going too fast I ride the brakes to stabilize the transition into the right hander. I usually go into the first left hander with a great degree of angle so I have to guess where the apex is. If I'm coming up short I'll stick it in third and give half throttle to keep the tyres spinning and the car moving. The most important part of that initiation is the rear clipping points on entry. Imagine a 800 ft-lbs torque Mercedes trying to manouver through there.

Good insights, I guess I'll have to see it in practice a little more and make a call. I imagine my NA or Levin can get a little more sideways before the transition than the GS thanks to shorter wheelbase and reduced grip overall.

Ya that's pretty much the section that VDC used.

I try to initiate crossings the start/ finish line, get my back as close as possible to the pit wall, then swing across to the right side, get as far outside as possible (I often end up dirt dropping here), and then proceed to get extremely sideways for the shallow left-hander...then transition back to the right for the tight right-hander.

Like @Drift_Monkey said, if you get lots of angle, the first transition is really blind (unless you're looking sideways)

Upon further reading I see the left after the start/finish being mentioned, but I'm referring to the even shallower left before the 20-or-so-degree right before you start facing the pit and before the right-to-left chicane at the pit exit. Is this disregarded completely in favor of the aforementioned section used for VDC?

Upon further reading I see the left after the start/finish being mentioned, but I'm referring to the even shallower left before the 20-or-so-degree right before you start facing the pit and before the right-to-left chicane at the pit exit. Is this disregarded completely in favor of the aforementioned section used for VDC?
Yes we come out of the pit and immediately turn around then we loop back onto the straight bypassing the hairpin (which would be the first corner out of the pit). But I'm still confused which corner you're referring to.

Ya I'm not sure we're talking about the same corner?

Are you talking about the series of corners that you would enter first, if you were to run the track in the forward direction? If so, I don't know many people that drift there, most just skip it by cutting through the infield.

The section we are talking about is the last section when going forward, or the first section while going reverse.

Ya I'm not sure we're talking about the same corner?

Are you talking about the series of corners that you would enter first, if you were to run the track in the forward direction? If so, I don't know many people that drift there, most just skip it by cutting through the infield.

The section we are talking about is the last section when going forward, or the first section while going reverse.
Why isn't the online community using the whole thing in forward direction?

Apart from the first corner in reverse being good, what other reasons?

The corner at the end of the back straight in the forward direction can be taken very fast with reverse entries, scrubbing alot of speed mid corner, then linking into the last section before the final hairpin.

I think the whole track flows beautifully in its intended format.

I particularly enjoy the first section, big slide into the small chicane and transition at the first apex in 2nd and round the left hander into 3rd and full throttle transition into the shallow right hander, clip the kerb near the end with the front, then transition and clip the same kerb with the rear, and into the left hair pin, then onto the back straight and into the final section.

Not had access to online in gt6, so I can't comment in regards to tandem etc.

For the past month the drifting community has started running Stowe Circuit backwards because the first corner (going backwards) is a high speed entry with a wall tap. How I usually take it is when i see the end of the pit wall on the left I know that's my initiation point. Swing the rear out to the wall then back over and slight e brake. Depending on how fast you were going initially will determine if you slide in or power through. If I'm going too fast I ride the brakes to stabilize the transition into the right hander. I usually go into the first left hander with a great degree of angle so I have to guess where the apex is. If I'm coming up short I'll stick it in third and give half throttle to keep the tyres spinning and the car moving. The most important part of that initiation is the rear clipping points on entry. Imagine a 800 ft-lbs torque Mercedes trying to manouver through there.

We started doing reverse when after a week of the games release. Figured out it was a better course.

The corner at the end of the back straight in the forward direction can be taken very fast with reverse entries, scrubbing alot of speed mid corner, then linking into the last section before the final hairpin.

I particularly enjoy the first section, big slide into the small chicane and transition at the first apex in 2nd and round the left hander into 3rd and full throttle transition into the shallow right hander, clip the kerb near the end with the front, then transition and clip the same kerb with the rear, and into the left hair pin, then onto the back straight and into the final section.

a door to door wall tap into a dirt drop then reverse entry... The feeling after completing a run like that <3. It's my favourite section on GT6 right now.

a door to door wall tap into a dirt drop then reverse entry... The feeling after completing a run like that <3. It's my favourite section on GT6 right now.
I'll have to try it.

Is there any way to get rid of the flashing red no entry sign offline, when driving the wrong way? I presume that's not there online?

I agree, forward does have a nice flow to it. The first left after the back straight is fun, and you can get way out to the right to wall-ride before going left...but you have to ass-drag across the TCS zone :(

The whole first section (right/left chicane followed by left hairpin) is kinda garbage to tandem...most just skip it.

But ya, like DM said, going in reverse has a special feeling when you nail the entry, especially door to door.

I agree, forward does have a nice flow to it. The first left after the back straight is fun, and you can get way out to the right to wall-ride before going left...but you have to ass-drag across the TCS zone :(

The whole first section (right/left chicane followed by left hairpin) is kinda garbage to tandem...most just skip it.

But ya, like DM said, going in reverse has a special feeling when you nail the entry, especially door to door.
I have found that as long as one wheel is on the track, the TCS won't cut in.

Thanks for the insight 👍

I think the guy is talking about the slight-left followed by the tight right that most people miss out, which goes round to the pit exit.

Before you get to the left, turn right over the off-track section and go down the pit straight to start the section again.

@TexRex

I have found that as long as one wheel is on the track, the TCS won't cut in.

Thanks for the insight 👍
I think the way the TCS off course thing works is a algorithm that determines how much of the car is off the track. I've tried the 1 wheel on which will keep TCS off but sometimes I can get my two back tyres off and still not have the TCS kick in. It will take more experimenting but I believe if the majority of the car is off the track then the TCS kicks in.

I was in a room last night and while other players respected me, there was no response to a question I had:

When running the entire track as a reverse layout, am I expected to slide into the shallow left at the end of the longer straight (diagonal to the front straight) or power through, roasting my front tires with understeer in the process, and only dift the actual corner. I was in a Lexus GS 300 '00 with a hair under 500hp on CH with ABS off. Any insight is appreciated.

Just for 🤬 and grins, I threw in a poll.

I can show you how I do it... Basically, just after the shallow left turn, I flick my car into a drift, back end out to the right... Make it a Huuuuge slide into a hard transition into the hairpin.

Don't do this though:
I think the guy is talking about the slight-left followed by the tight right that most people miss out, which goes round to the pit exit.

Before you get to the left, turn right over the off-track section and go down the pit straight to start the section again.

@TexRex

It's really easy once you get the hang of it, and the back part is at least as good as the beginning of the track. I don't understand why people skip it. They're afraid or something...

@Drift_Monkey 's explanation is pretty much how we all do it. some people try just throwing it in but wind up going off track before the first corner

Yeah, because some people can't drive. :D I manage perfectly in my 250hp Miata, and 500+ HP cars...

Last edited:
Had a go at this reverse layout.

I can see the appeal, be I still prefer the full forward layout.

The first section in reverse, all the way to the back straight, is excellent, but I like how the entire course flows a little better in the forward direction.

Also slightly addicted to the corner at the end of the back straight, and the first hairpin in the forward direction.

Gave reverse and hour with my favorite missiles, so a genuine sesh.

Okay so yeah I was referring to the first set of corners going the correct direction, and I understand the disinterest in them going either direction. Now I don't need to figure out how to tackle that shallow left. Thanks. ;)

I've been driving this track forward for so long, even after a few laps in reverse it still feels wrong. Same with GT arena.

I use the same method both forward and reverse as many here: large feint tapping pit wall, (I) transition usually dirt dropping while riding the foot brake, transition again (quick left), and again (quick right), done. Forward direction.

@TexRex Here is a crappy vid of it

Last edited:
I've been driving this track forward for so long, even after a few laps it still feels wrong. Same with GT arena.

I use the same method both forward and reverse as many here: large feint tapping pit wall, (I) transition usually dirt dropping while riding the foot brake, transition again (quick left), and again (quick right), done. Forward direction.

We don't ruin it that way, we go the other way

I've been driving this track forward for so long, even after a few laps it still feels wrong. Same with GT arena.

If I could drift like that it wouldn't be funny anymore lol.:eek:;)

I recently started doing the whole Stowe track backwards, including the section that @Gonales mentioned, and I have to agree, it's pretty fun.

I pick up speed down the back straight, and initiate just before the left kink (the unused chicane rumble strips are a good marker). Swing the back out wide right, then transition and try to get my back wheels on the left side rumble strip. Then carve back around to the right (if you transition deeper, you can follow the outside line of the hairpin too). Exit the corner and transition back to the left midway through the left bend, push the back end out wide right, then transition for the chicane in the middle of the track. I try to get minimal angle through the second half of the chicane, instead trying to get as much speed down the straight as possible. From there, the entry into the VDC section is pretty much the same.

I've never been a huge fan of sections in general, so this makes doing the track much more enjoyable for me. Going through the chicane also makes the entry into the VDC section more challenging and more rewarding, for me at least.

I recently started doing the whole Stowe track backwards, including the section that @Gonales mentioned, and I have to agree, it's pretty fun.

I pick up speed down the back straight, and initiate just before the left kink (the unused chicane rumble strips are a good marker). Swing the back out wide right, then transition and try to get my back wheels on the left side rumble strip. Then carve back around to the right (if you transition deeper, you can follow the outside line of the hairpin too). Exit the corner and transition back to the left midway through the left bend, push the back end out wide right, then transition for the chicane in the middle of the track. I try to get minimal angle through the second half of the chicane, instead trying to get as much speed down the straight as possible. From there, the entry into the VDC section is pretty much the same.

I've never been a huge fan of sections in general, so this makes doing the track much more enjoyable for me. Going through the chicane also makes the entry into the VDC section more challenging and more rewarding, for me at least.

Exactly like it should be done! :D From what you describe I can tell our lines are pretty much the same. When I don't **** up. :D

Back