Drivatar

• Thread starter HAL20XX
  • 36 comments
United States
The Motor City
HAL20xx
HAL20xx
Dan Greenwalt explains just how Drivatar will work. http://kotaku.com/i-can-get-behind-this-xbox-one-games-use-of-the-cloud-512392457

A quick recap on what it is:
Drivatar uses the cloud to figure out how you drive and to then represent you n races in other people's games. It does the same for them, bringing virtual versions of other people into your copy of the game as your opponents.

The cool part about it, is that it uses the cloud to handle the computing of other racers and not the resources of the Xbox One.

I really liked how the writer of the article puts it:
"I can't say that Forza 5's use of the cloud suddenly makes all of the Xbox One's policies sound awesome. But I can say that developers getting specific like this helps. It helps illustrate that at least some of these requirements and services may be a trade-off. "

I'm excited to see it in action. I just hope it's worth the trade-off.

I hope my friend never gets it, he was the worst to race against. Cutting every corner, taking inside lines that didn't make sense, turning my car into a deflector, you name any bad racing trait and he does it. Would hate to race against him all te time :lol:

Dan Greenwalt explains just how Drivatar will work. http://kotaku.com/i-can-get-behind-this-xbox-one-games-use-of-the-cloud-512392457

A quick recap on what it is:

The cool part about it, is that it uses the cloud to handle the computing of other racers and not the resources of the Xbox One.

I really liked how the writer of the article puts it:

I'm excited to see it in action. I just hope it's worth the trade-off.

Drivatar is what I basically thought of when I played Rivals Mode. Whenever I would get close to an opponent their car would go into ghost. I would just keep thinking "why can't T10 make Rivals Mode opponents solid". I don't know if you understand what I mean.

I hope my friend never gets it, he was the worst to race against. Cutting every corner, taking inside lines that didn't make sense, turning my car into a deflector, you name any bad racing trait and he does it. Would hate to race against him all te time :lol:

Haha, I can see that happening. When you get paired up with a few people from your friendslist you instantly go 'oh god'. I can imagine racing some people on my friendslist. Chaos.

That will make offline heaps more interesting if it works well. When I get bored and start hitting the drivatar, they should hit back. I think this feature will make for better drivers and/or an angry bunch of cheats! Sounds like fun!

Eunos_Cosmo
I suppose this means M.Rossi can retire.

Probably just as well, his career has been doing downhill.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fa8LV7YT08">YouTube Link</a>

For some reason the AI can't handle LMPs on most ovals.

So they copied Firemonkey's RR3 time shifted multiplayer. Basically.

Or progressed the original Drivatar concept they had back in Forza 1. You could probably make quite a good argument that RR3 copied the idea off Forza, although they did add the multiplayer component.

New info: The cloud will learn what types of liveries you pick and your Drivatar will use them in races against other players. In other words, you'll finally get to race against other "AI" racers that utilize liveries.

Good way to see if someone is good enough for a series too?

I dunno. I'll believe that it races just like the person when I see it.

It's one thing to create an AI persona with parameters defined in some manner by a person's driving. It's another thing to have those parameters sync up to perfectly replicate that person's style.

Honestly, I'm expecting there to be a bit of fudging in the system so that FM 5 doesn't end up as "that game full of rambot AI".

New info: The cloud will learn what types of liveries you pick and your Drivatar will use them in races against other players. In other words, you'll finally get to race against other "AI" racers that utilize liveries.

My favorite bit of info for drivatar.

The way Dan explained it was FM4's AI had 100 parameters programatically determined. It was up to the developer to say, "when going into a corner hot, [take this action]." With Drivatar, it's going to use an infinite number of self-learned parameters. One example was if you are more confident taking left turns than you are rights, your Drivatar will behave the same.

I agree about believing it when it's seen, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Sounds OK. I'd rather just go online though.

Also, mine would be terrible. Offline is mostly credit grinding, so I'll just smash through everything most likely, unless I make my own race for fun. It will drive exactly the opposite of me unless it only learns from online races.

Sounds OK. I'd rather just go online though.

Also, mine would be terrible. Offline is mostly credit grinding, so I'll just smash through everything most likely, unless I make my own race for fun. It will drive exactly the opposite of me unless it only learns from online races.

I was wondering something that sort of has to do with your post. I dont take offline half as serious as I do online. For online races, I try to be as clean as possible. On the other hand, for offline races, I dont really care if I bump(doesnt mean I'm literally smashing everything off the road) and, like Excorcet said, just mostly do it for credits.

What I'm wondering is that, does it take information from my offline racing as well? To be honest, I'd rather it didnt.

I was wondering something that sort of has to do with your post. I dont take offline half as serious as I do online. For online races, I try to be as clean as possible. On the other hand, for offline races, I dont really care if I bump(doesnt mean I'm literally smashing everything off the road) and, like Excorcet said, just mostly do it for credits.

What I'm wondering is that, does it take information from my offline racing as well? To be honest, I'd rather it didnt.

i would think it's taking all your driving in to consideration. If so that gives some incentive to drive clean and fast so your drivatard can earn you more credits while your away.

That's probably something similar to how damage is supposed to make you take the AI seriously since you can gain more credits with it on, but all you need to do is make sure you don't blow up the car and you'll get a profit. I have a feeling that this will be the same. I doubt your driver will make you serious money. You get peanuts for coming in 4th or 5th online even though it's 10,000 times more difficult than taking first against the AI.

I don't agree with trying force people to treat offline seriously if they don't want to. You're completely isolated from everyone else, and credits are just a bore. Just let people do what they want.

That's probably something similar to how damage is supposed to make you take the AI seriously since you can gain more credits with it on, but all you need to do is make sure you don't blow up the car and you'll get a profit. I have a feeling that this will be the same. I doubt your driver will make you serious money. You get peanuts for coming in 4th or 5th online even though it's 10,000 times more difficult than taking first against the AI.

I don't agree with trying force people to treat offline seriously if they don't want to. You're completely isolated from everyone else, and credits are just a bore. Just let people do what they want.

I don't see it as forcing anyone to do anything, some will take into consideration and others won't and ram bounce and do what ever they have to to win.

Well if it is used as an incentive, then the intention would be to make people behave a certain way. I'm not saying that was Turn 10's intention, just that I think doing such things is a stupid idea in general.

I would be concerned with getting bad drivers put into your races.

Hopefully it is good at detecting clean racers and puts them with other clean racers.
Main concern here also, general public plays their racing games using everything in sight as a bumper, i saw A LOT of it in the reviews just now...

Would hate it if you couldn't have 1 clean race because of this (even tough it would be more of a challenge).

So now that some of you have been playing a couple of days already, you notice that the drivatars are upgrading to meet your needs?

So now that some of you have been playing a couple of days already, you notice that the drivatars are upgrading to meet your needs?
Mostly yes. The higher the car level, the more mistakes I'm seeing, but even A-class today is better than A-class yesterday. I'm playing the level just below the hardest setting and I'm having trouble keeping up with first place in most races, which I'm content with. I have noticed that Drivatars are very aware of other cars in corners and I'm seeing them swerve out of the way to avoid contact.

I really think this is a fantastic concept and I believe from what DG was saying the drivatars will learn only good clean racing moves the ones who ram and cut will not be picked up behaviors. I am quite keen to watch and see how this evolves with great interest.

So my Drivatar hasn't raced since the 24th. How is that even possible? Fortunately my SLS AMG livery brought me a few grand but that just seems strange.

I have to say so far I am really liking the Drivatar concept. I am getting mostly clean racing, if I take my time for the first half lap to so, and getting some very competitive races. I just need to light a fire under my own Drivatar, threaten to fire him if he doesn't start bringing in some more credits!
Hey, if anyone see's my Drivatar slacking off, please let me know.

Ok it's been more than a month now since the last time this was discussed here, and I'm curious how you guys like your current drivatar opposition in races, as you must have progressed a lot already and the drivatars too:

-Do you have to work hard for the win?
-Did you notice that, because you are a clean driver, the drivatars also race clean against you and avoid collisions?
-Your overall rating of the concept and how big an improvement it is over standard AI?

Thanks in advance 👍

Back