Driveclub First Impressions

• Thread starter Blkout
  • 257 comments
Absolute rubbish.

Think NFS with the really good graphics.

Worst money I have ever spent on the PS4 so far. I regret going digital download for this as I can't even sell it used to the next sucker.

I barely did 5 minutes in the opening race with the controller (which was pretty lame and really felt uber-arcade like)

As soon as I quit and restarted the PS4 to see if the game would then detect the T500RS wheel and TH8A the game now no longer starts.

Cannot start the application.
Cannot connect to server to verify the license.

There is no excuse for this type of nonsense in this day and age.

Verdict - avoid if you can.

Last edited:
Absolute rubbish.

As soon as I quit and restarted the PS4 to see if the game would then detect the TX wheel and TH8A the game now no longer starts.
Obviously the TX wheel is not PS4 compatible. But the game not starting when you have a TX plugged in sounds really strange :)

Just watching Giant Bombs quick look and they say the driving is a rubbish throw back to old arcade games. Modern arcade games have better handling. Graphics can be nice or pretty nasty, lighting can be impressive but DC doesn't stand out as the best looking driving game or anything.

Absolute rubbish.

As soon as I quit and restarted the PS4 to see if the game would then detect the TX wheel and TH8A the game now no longer starts.

yeah about that tx, you realize that's an xbox/pc wheel only right??? lol

Just watching Giant Bombs quick look and they say the driving is a rubbish throw back to old arcade games. Modern arcade games have better handling. Graphics can be nice or pretty nasty, lighting can be impressive but DC doesn't stand out as the best looking driving game or anything.

giant bomb is the last site that people should care about when it comes to racing games...truthfully.

Obviously the TX wheel is not PS4 compatible. But the game not starting when you have a TX plugged in sounds really strange :)

See edit - T500RS wheel.

I doubt the wheel has anything to do with not being able to start the game without 'verifying license' though.

It appears to be a 'cannot work unless our servers are 100% functional' style game.

Overall a purchase I regret making.

Absolute rubbish.

Think NFS with the really good graphics.

Worst money I have ever spent on the PS4 so far. I regret going digital download for this as I can't even sell it used to the next sucker.

I barely did 5 minutes in the opening race with the controller (which was pretty lame and really felt uber-arcade like)

As soon as I quit and restarted the PS4 to see if the game would then detect the T500RS wheel and TH8A the game now no longer starts.

I didn't have any issues using my T500RS with the game, I have a store bought copy but I wouldn't think it would make any difference.

Guys, I've been honest with you all the whole time in this thread. I hope now that critic reviews are starting to show up, you believe me now. I still think the game is fun, but for a game that was delayed a whole year, its a little baffling that the final product, sort of gets a reaction like, "is this it?"

See edit - T500RS wheel.

I doubt the wheel has anything to do with not being able to start the game without 'verifying license' though.

It appears to be a 'cannot work unless our servers are 100% functional' style game.

Overall a purchase I regret making.

The game relies heavily on updating the servers with your times and accomplishments because it dynamically adjusts and give you new accomplishments to beat. You may be given a rival drift score to beat of 25, so you score a 250 and you get extra XP points for beating the rival, then during the race as you cross that drift zone again on the next lap, you will be given a rival drift score higher than what you achieved last time so it may be 400 to beat the next time around so its constantly adjusting and giving you tougher challenges as you race so I assume that's why it relies heavily on the servers. I will say I never had a single server issue last night playing but I freely admit I was probably a day ahead of most other users so the servers are probably going to struggle a bit more today and tomorrow as people start playing until they normalize a bit.

yeah about that tx, you realize that's an xbox/pc wheel only right??? lol

giant bomb is the last site that people should care about when it comes to racing games...truthfully.

For sim games yes. While I would agree with you, they recognize that arcade games can be more advanced in the physics. Also I've said for a while this game falls into a no mans land, simcade/sim players won't get anything from it in general and we have truly excellent arcade games like Burnout paradise, NFS hot pursuit, Rivals, Motorstorm. I also learned that Jeff put hundreds of hours into Burnout paradise. He does understand sim style games like Forza/GT are different. Whatever I think of Giant Bomb they seem to have called it going off sim players and arcade players overall so far, even warning to stay away.

Only good thing is the weather looks to be good and something that GT7 should aim for.

Last edited:

Call me elitist, but I'd take comments about physics realism form someone racing in 3rd person view with a pinch of salt.
Same goes for that guy from InsideSimRacing, by the way, who was wondering in one of his DC videos, whether the Beetle GSR was RWD(!), and then when he races his GranTurismo MC Stradale and gets passed by a Ferari FF says: "Pretty much identical car, I think."
Hard for me to take comments about physics from people, that aren't even that much into cars (and driving irl), seriously.

For sim games yes. While I would agree with you they recognize that arcade games can be more advanced in the physics. Also I've said for a while this game falls into a no mans lands, simcade/sim players won't get anything from it in general and we have truly excellent arcade games like Burnout paradise, NFS hot pursuit, Rivals, Motorstorm. I also learned that Jeff put hundreds of hours into Burnout paradise. He does understand sim style games like Forza/GT

Only good thing is the weather looks to be good and something that GT7 should aim for.

I would actually be happy if GT7 even looked like DC.

Call me elitist, but I'd take comments about physics realism form someone racing in 3rd person view with a pinch of salt.
Same goes for that guy from InsideSimRacing, by the way, who was wondering in one of his DC videos, whether the Beetle GSR was RWD(!), and then when he races his GranTurismo MC Stradale and gets passed by a Ferari FF says: "Pretty much identical car, I think."
Hard for me to take comments about physics from people, that aren't even that much into cars (and driving irl), seriously.

If you're hoping for anything other than arcade-type physics from DC, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Point is about the Giant Bomb thing is that they're aware of Forza Horizon 2 that is has toned down Forza 5 physics but still feels quite advanced to them. Even these guys see it. DC seems to have some basic old style arcade physics but is in some kind of sim clothes.

Point is about the Giant Bomb thing is that they're aware of Forza Horizon 2 that is has toned down Forza 5 physics but still feels quite advanced to them. Even these guys see it. DC seems to have some basic old style arcade physics but is in some kind of sim clothes.

I would agree with that based on what I've played except I don't think DC is supposed to be "sim-like" is it? FH2 obviously does some things that are impossible, driving across an open field through brush in a Lambo at 120mph isn't really possible but its fun, however the physics actually feel quite good on pavement and each car has its own sense of weight and moves accordingly. DC doesn't really have any of that, it feels much more basic. Its not a knock against DC, it just is what it is. As long as you know that going into it, you'll have fun with it.

Last edited:

oh come on don't nit pick, good gracious

Anyone who wants to see it played with a t500rs check out my live stream today.
ustream.tv/channel/jimmyloops-s-ps4-live-show

If you're hoping for anything other than arcade-type physics from DC, you're going to be sorely disappointed.
Oh, I haven't expected anything else from the day I saw the first trailer.
All I'm saying is people shouldn't take every random youtube review as gospel. I often find dedicated forums more useful than reviews, when wanting to learn about a certain game (or any product, really).

Oh, I haven't expected anything else from the day I saw the first trailer.
All I'm saying is people shouldn't take every random youtube review as gospel. I often find dedicated forums more useful than reviews, when wanting to learn about a certain game (or any product, really).

Understood and I generally agree. Each review should be taken with a grain of salt because each reviewer obviously sees things differently. Hence the reason why you have a Metascore of 90 from one reviewer and a 50 from another.

Just ran the first race. Handling is solid. Felt very responsive. The cars are essentially GT6 models as expected in full 3D environments.

All I hoping for from this is a fun racing game that I can race around on......... For everything else I'm hoping that Project Cars ticks them boxes.

Will I be disappointed ? Thanks.

Some good comments here.

Get my copy in 8 hrs. I did cheap out on the wheel, (price and availability for the T300/T500), got the T80 for now until more titles arrive on the PS4.

I got away with using the XBOX 360 wheel for FM2, 3 and 4 and if you tweak it right, it works great. Hopefully the T80 is good for the short term. See you on the road!

Last edited:
...I barely did 5 minutes in the opening race with the controller (which was pretty lame and really felt uber-arcade like)...
I'm sorry, but that really sounds like you went in practically blind and didn't know what to expect - or are you saying it's more arcade than you expected? If not, it's really adviseable to look into games beforehand.

DC better look much better graphically. It's a substantially smaller, corridor racer. DC is the best looking corridor racer, and FH2 is the best looking open world racer.
"Corridor racer." Do we really need this term to be spread from GAF? =/

All I hoping for from this is a fun racing game that I can race around on......... For everything else I'm hoping that Project Cars ticks them boxes.

Will I be disappointed ? Thanks.

Its fun to me, just not terribly deep so replay value is questionable long term.

So after 1 hour:

Car physics are very understeery, which is fine. Just wish I had a steering wheel as my thumbs are killing me. I havent raced without a wheel in years. AI is definitely rubberbanded. I was fooling around and they basically came to a crawl waiting for me to catch up. It can get frustrating when on the straights they're almost always faster then you leaving only the turns as possible passing opportunities. The AI is smart and will battle you, but rubberbanding cheapens it. The AI is also designed around pack racing, which makes picking your way through the pack almost impossible in the allotted time without trading alot of paint.

The game desperately needs a replay mode and photomode. The car models arent any better looking then what is in Gran Turismo. The beauty of the game is in its scenery, which is amplified by a sunrise or sunset. To really appreciate all that you need some way to view it from a different perspective, so replay cameras and photomode is neeeded.

Unfortunately all the tracks feel too similar except for Scotland. After driving most of them Im having a hard time looking back and separating any of them as unique from one another outside of the scenery. I also feel overall they're too difficult, too narrow, and tend to resemble racing courses but without rumble strips intstead of a dreamlike escapism route. You hardly feel like your going anywhere, it feels like your turning laps on a race circuit.

A solid arcade racer should have its tracks slowly ramp up in difficulty, with the first tracks featuring long straights and sweeping turns, and the later tracks featuring tighter turns, more elevation changes etc. Need for Speed 2 (PS1) was a good example of proper track difficulties. One of the early tracks, Australia, required you to drive flat out for about 80% of the lap thanks to long straights and long sweeping corners. The last track, Mystic Peaks, was basically Monaco in the snow.

I tried a few courses at each location and I didnt notice any real changes in difficulty or design except in Scotland which allowed you to breathe a bit compared to the other courses.

Overall feels very much like a launch game, which it initially was intended to be. It does nothing truly wrong, but it does suffer from some issues such as below average track design and questionable AI design choices. Its missing something like cops or civilian AI cars to turn the intensity level up a notch.

Now I havent even got started with the whole community thing so we'll see how that turns out.

@Earth

That echoes a lot of the way I feel about the game. I was certain I wouldn't be the only one to feel this way. I know a lot of people had high hopes for this title, possibly even a Horizon 2 killer for the PS4 but that is simply not the case as many people are finding out. Doesn't mean its not fun but I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it feels like a launch title which is what it was supposed to be. Its hard to imagine this game was delayed a year and for what? It still has missing features that are to be added later. Puzzling.

Back