Driveclub Testing - Buttkicker / Tactile & Ambilight Cockpit

• Thread starter Mr Latte
  • 19 comments

Mr Latte

Premium
United Kingdom
N Ireland
* I have edited the title of the thread with it seems few people having/using Buttkicker type devices with this game. Perhaps if people want to discuss this project or hardware showcased by all means add in with their own opinions/experiences or questions. Driveclub is a game I want to enjoy and appreciate any help regards peoples preferred settings or cars/tracks that work well with the game.

Hi guys frequent this area of the forums every so often but have seen little discussion of using Buttkickers or other tactile with this game.

Feel It
I have been using Driveclub lots to help test my tactile (working on a cockpit build/some may of seen before) and have been finding that the game has some really nice tactile effects. It does seem that different cars vary in how they perform with (some better than others).

Currently I am using some of the "higher end" tactile units in an advanced configuration as my cockpit build is being built around getting the best possible tactile immersion experience from consoles/audio and also Simvibe. It is rather extreme using multiple units in the deployment of the effects and while still (WIP) with lots more to do I have been slowly getting the seat section completed with the pedal region tactile to be done later.

Best Settings / Options
I still wish the developers would allow the internal audio to be used on external views or increase the "rumble strips/kerbs" bass level. The internal views have very good feeling with these and emphasised bass but external views (tarmac/bonnet) the effect seems a bit too weak.

Audio Sliders
Currently looking more into some of the audio sliders to determine what the best configurations are, the bes feeling cars and tracks. Also wondering if any other gamers here have been doing similar or enjoying this game with Buttkicker/Tactile units or can make some recommendations?

I have been testing different installations with Clark TST and Buttkickers fullsize LFE units included with 4 sub-woofers (1 each corner) to emphasise the games excellent engine/bass tones.

Ongoing Testing
Currently running with STEREO tactile mode using 2 TST + 1 BK for the "Left / Right" sides and a TST unit at the back of the seat for "Centre Channel"

Images over the past couple of months and ongoing build/testing.
Also incorporating "Phillips Ambilight & Hue" lighting into the cockpit build.

Work in Progress / Various Changes Implemented:

Multi Tactile Units / Chrome Tubing Styled Frame / Incorporated Quad Subwoofers / Phillips Hue Lighting / Phillips Ambilight TV

Frame will play a part to the stylisation of the build and with lighting used to enhance it.

Red Bonnet Relfections (work in real-time)

White Bonnet Reflections (work in real-time)

Phillips Hue works with multiple APPS or can be configured to work with the TV

Fireworks Lighting up the Room

Last edited:
Hi guys frequent this area of the forums every so often but have seen little discussion of using Buttkickers or other tactile with this game.

Feel It
I have been using Driveclub lots to help test my tactile (working on a cockpit build/some may of seen before) and have been finding that the game has some really nice tactile effects. It does seem that different cars vary in how they perform with (some better than others).

Currently I am using some of the "higher end" tactile units in an advanced configuration as my cockpit build is being built around getting the best possible tactile immersion experience from consoles/audio and also Simvibe. It is rather extreme using multiple units in the deployment of the effects and while still (WIP) with lots more to do I have been slowly getting the seat section completed with the pedal region tactile to be done later.

Best Settings / Options
I still wish the developers would allow the internal audio to be used on external views or increase the "rumble strips/kerbs" bass level. The internal views have very good feeling with these and emphasised bass but external views (tarmac/bonnet) the effect seems a bit too weak.

Audio Sliders
Currently looking more into some of the audio sliders to determine what the best configurations are, the bes feeling cars and tracks. Also wondering if any other gamers here have been doing similar or enjoying this game with Buttkicker/Tactile units or can make some recommendations?

I have been testing different installations with Clark TST and Buttkickers fullsize LFE units included with 4 sub-woofers (1 each corner) to emphasise the games excellent engine/bass tones.

Ongoing Testing
Currently running with STEREO tactile mode using 2 TST + 1 BK for the "Left / Right" sides and a TST unit at the back of the seat for "Centre Channel"

Images over the past couple of months and ongoing build/testing.
Also incorporating "Phillips Ambilight & Hue" lighting into the cockpit build.

I was with you all the way up to 'Hi Guys' !!

Looks rather good though :cheers:

Lol, I was waiting for someone to follow this up!!! I read it and thought "sorry, what did you say". Understood as far as hi guys, that's hilarious.

Ha, sorry but it needed saying :P And hey fella, you managed to grab top spot again around Glenmorgan in the AMG GT3 ?? I dunno how but I pipped your time, woulda been even quicker too but clipped the wall last corner and kinda buggered me up..I'm sure you'll smash it sooner than later but hey, I'll bask in the glory seeing as I'm not really that fast a driver, just love that course :)

Apologies if it's already been smashed to bits but I'm en route to Edinburgh for a few days so won't be able to check

Ha, sorry but it needed saying :P And hey fella, you managed to grab top spot again around Glenmorgan in the AMG GT3 ?? I dunno how but I pipped your time, woulda been even quicker too but clipped the wall last corner and kinda buggered me up..I'm sure you'll smash it sooner than later but hey, I'll bask in the glory seeing as I'm not really that fast a driver, just love that course :)

Apologies if it's already been smashed to bits but I'm en route to Edinburgh for a few days so won't be able to check
Haha, well done, but don't worry, TRL LIGHTNING always beats my records by at least 3 seconds on that track. he will get itdown to a 1-12 something.

Haha, well done, but don't worry, TRL LIGHTNING always beats my records by at least 3 seconds on that track. he will get itdown to a 1-12 something.

As fast as he is I'll be astonished if he gets 3-4 seconds off that time in that car, not enough straights to max it but I'll be the first to doff my cap when he does, and I'd need to see the replay too 💡

Sorry for the tech talk I assumed most people would understand what these are including their usage of Simvibe on PC sims. It is an experimental cockpit build still in progress, this is why it has and will likely go through more changes. I am trying different configurations and installation of the units to get the best feeling from them.

My journey with Buttkickers and Tactile immersion started a long time ago with GT5P. You basically feel engine/road rumble from the audio and while most people maybe buy a single "Buttkicker Gamer" or something similar it is possible to expand this across using multiple units and on more than one audio channels utilising them in the seat and pedals.

Can you please post some video footage? It looks stunning! :cheers:

Thank you

The metal tubing is 32mm shopfittings I believe are actually made in Italy. :)

It is not finished yet, later next year it will be but the only video I have done is testing the Phillips Ambilight. Got to build the pedal sections yet and currently doing the section to support a wheel.

The ambilight, I find It adds greatly to this games atmosphere with the superb lighting within the game and is part of an aspect I want to utilise incorporating with hi quality audio and the vibrations of the tactile.

Watch for the lightening and lights on the bridge how it effects the room. Its hard to capture how good this is when playing when re-watching in small videos. Sunsets/twilight look fantastic as well as having cockpit view and in night races the competitors headlights illuminating the whole room as how it would/does the interior of the car.

Their are different modes on the TV to change how this operates and it can function different on the various views within the game. "External View" on many cars the brake lights (again more in darker/night times) the brake light will illuminate in the room. Its just a bit of added fun to the game and the immersion to what is happening.

Maybe I will do more videos in future that better illustrate it or show more of the build.
This is only a 40" (2015) model but 50" and 55" are available.

Last edited:
As fast as he is I'll be astonished if he gets 3-4 seconds off that time in that car, not enough straights to max it but I'll be the first to doff my cap when he does, and I'd need to see the replay too 💡
Well I did a 1-17 WR in the lamborghini reventon and he did a 1-14. Based on my experience of both cars, the Mercedes is at least 1-2 seconds faster than the reventon so let's see. Well done btw, I wasn't exactly slacking with my time!!

Thank you

The metal tubing is 32mm shopfittings I believe are actually made in Italy. :)

It is not finished yet, later next year it will be but the only video I have done is testing the Phillips Ambilight. Got to build the pedal sections yet and currently doing the section to support a wheel.

The ambilight, I find It adds greatly to this games atmosphere with the superb lighting within the game and is part of an aspect I want to utilise incorporating with hi quality audio and the vibrations of the tactile.

Watch for the lightening and lights on the bridge how it effects the room.

I loved how the lights flashed fluo-blue when lightnings struck. It looks like quite the visceral experience! :D

Well I did a 1-17 WR in the lamborghini reventon and he did a 1-14. Based on my experience of both cars, the Mercedes is at least 1-2 seconds faster than the reventon so let's see. Well done btw, I wasn't exactly slacking with my time!!

Cheers, like I said, just really love that track..and it was just a joy to beat someone as fast as you, although I'm sure you'll go back and kick that time to bits :D I'm not fast by any means but I do ok I guess, funnily enough even better after a wine or two..go figure !!

My fave is the sunsets or twilight. Also night races with street lamps lighting up the room as you go under them, left/right. I only play occasionally still only at level 40 or so.

The tactile, is quite good too on the engine and left/right kerbs/gravel/bumps/impacts. One of the better elements is that the game produces a very low rumble sound as the tyres are under load.

This happens alot under braking or in fast corners. Also some bumps/dips in the road. You don't really hear this on normal speakers but on the bigger LFE Buttkicker under the seat it currently is producing a very powerful vibration @ 900 watts of tactile energy shaking into the seat and it feels great with the other units.

PS4 Dashboard with using additional "Phillips Hue LED strips"
Room in darkness so lights become more vivid although this below is still a bit over exposed (Note 4 Phone)

You will recognise this, it is very hard to go back to normal TV without the lighting.
The effect is much stronger at night or room is dark, this was early summer evening.

Early testing with additional bottom lights, set to monitor the bonnet centre/location for the refelctions. These are better hid so you only see their illumination not the actual led lights.

Online Demo Here
Take note many Youtube videos with the word "ambilight" are not using the proper Phillips system but adding 3rd party light kits to normal TVs. These are not as good in my experience.

Last edited:
My fave is the sunsets or twilight. Also night races with street lamps lighting up the room as you go under them, left/right. I only play occasionally still only at level 40 or so.

The tactile, is quite good too on the engine and left/right kerbs/gravel/bumps/impacts. One of the better elements is that the game produces a very low rumble sound as the tyres are under load.

This happens alot under braking or in fast corners. Also some bumps/dips in the road. You don't really hear this on normal speakers but on the bigger LFE Buttkicker under the seat it currently is producing a very powerful vibration @ 900 watts of tactile energy shaking into the seat and it feels great with the other units.

PS4 Dashboard with using additional "Phillips Hue LED strips"

You will recognise this, it is very hard to go back to normal TV without the lighting.
The effect is much stronger at night or room is dark, this was early summer evening.

Early testing with additional bottom lights, these are better hid so you only see their illumination not the actual led lights.

Online Demo Here
You get paid FAR too much...you gonna reveal how much it's costing for a set up like that ??

You get paid FAR too much...you gonna reveal how much it's costing for a set up like that ??

Depends how you look at things.
Many will spend £1000 on a mobile phone contract every 2 years. £1000 or more on graphics cards.
How much do some people spend on booze/cigs/gambling/holidays in a year?

I have built up lots of this over several years and some of it from ebay at good prices.
The tubing and metal clamps came from a business I closed a couple of years back. The seat (Cobra Misano Anniversary) is actually the most expensive component as it is an upmarket model of high quality leather.

The TV cost £530 with 5YR warranty in Sept and is the 3 sided version. Argos have a 2 sided version. It is a high specification 1080p model rather than a budget 4K set. The additional Phillips Hue lighting are about £60 each or bulbs cost about £50 and are a tad expensive.

Tactile units start from as little as £40, amps from under £70 so its not a great expense to get into it. A Buttkicker model starts from about £90 (Mini LFE) or they do their own "Gamer Kit" with amp for about £160. The Big LFE is mainly used for advanced Home Cinema installations and goes upto 1500 watts. It is the most powerful unit available. My rig will use 4 of these. It costs upwards of £200 and a decent amplifier to run 2 of them is about £220 upwards. (inuke DSP 3000 or DSP 6000)

I do have yes high end units with the Clark TST models (disc shaped ones) imported from USA but have been lucky obtaining much of this on ebay at vastly reduced prices too. It is not cheap but it is not exceptionally expensive neither but it is not about the cost and has taken a good while to accumulate it all.

Really it is more about achieving a particular personal goal in building a cockpit for consoles and PC that while not utilising motion will go beyond the norm in other ways and being a little creative or imaginative too.

Last edited:
@Mr Latte

Learned something and although stuff like this hasn't my interest it still looks cool and at least I know now what a buttkicker is :lol:

Liked your door btw 👍

I would be surprised that some others are not enjoying the game with some Buttkicker or tactile.
Here is a good UK source or UK/European alternative for Buttkicker and various 4ohm amps here

Did this thread a while back here on GTP for some tips/info.

I also use PartsExpress.com

Last edited:
Oh man I had forgotten all about the TV's with the backlights, I wanted one so bad a few years ago and now they are almost impossible to find here. I was able to find an add on kit that looks like it will work pretty good to, now for some more research :lol:

My wife is going to hate this

Great set up :bowdown: I would love that! I hope you are in a detached house with no neighbours and understanding family with amps & 900w bass shaker!, I have to wear earphones even on moderate volume due to neighbours and family (until they are out ;)) :gtpflag:

Hi Torque, thanks for comments and interest from others.
It still has some way to go yet, however it has potential for a ludicrous 7000 watts of tactile energy (bass vibrations) when using all 11 tactile units if at max levels. Also a further 1200 watts of subwoofer audible bass (all RMS figures). Of course it would be unbearable with that level of vibrations and full potential.

I have just tested with TV speaker audio and the subs this far, this is not including surround sound audio yet. However the disc shaped tactile do make audible sound also. The subs easily can generate db levels within the room that could damage my hearing but their is a level of volume and felt bass presence that adds greatly to those engine sounds. Going over 100db does begin to become uncomfortable but much more would be possible.

The cockpit has been specifically designed/built to have individual Left/Right sides to avoid tactile crosstalk as best possible and maintain performance of stereo tactile effects. The seat and wheel deck sections are built up from this.

With so much tactile energy however I have had to invest heavily in rubber isolators and floormats to help maintain the vibrations within the metal frame as best possible and not travel through the whole house like crazy as it is in upstairs bedroom. This is not fully complete as I have to add in an additional base layer yet.

Your looking at a PS4 & XB1 consoles value just in rubber isolators so an expensive part of the build but very important one also. An extreme build needs extreme dampening and isolation. So yes it is a rather unique build focusing on tactile and audio rather than motion which consoles do not properly support anyways.

I certainly recommend anyone reading to consider adding some tactile into their seats or cockpits they have for added fun. Hoping someone will come along that already has and can share what they think or prefer in cars/tracks and general ingame audio settings.

If enough people want then yes I can try another video highlighting the ambilight.
Any particular car/track/view/time?

These settings operate how the lights react differently and then you have further options for brightness/intensity/sensitivity. I prefer certain modes for different views or moods. The new GAME mode works incredibly fast detecting moving colours on screen and it works on a per pixel basis so is rather advanced. Of course all games and visual media look nice with it but sometimes it is good to have more relaxed moods available.

* I have edited the title of the thread if people want to discuss this project or add in with their own experiences with the hardware being showcased. Thanks for the interest.

Note UK Members
Argos and some other places sell this unit with 2 SIDED L/R AMBILIGHT model reference 6510.
The 3 SIDED L/R/TOP version is a 6550 reference model number. See Here notice the colour glow on the images for the TV some will include it at the top. I got mine from a Euronics based retailer.

This TV already has had praised reviews from various publications on its picture quality and black level performance abilities. It is a mid-upmarket 1080p model rather than basic model with 4K resolution.

Last edited:
Back