Driveclub Unlocked frame rate poll

• Thread starter JoshDevil
  • 28 comments

Would you like to see a unlocked frame rate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Driveclub already looks great at 30fps. Would be nice to have a few more frames though.

I suppose 60fps would be nice but how much of the graphical fidelity would we be willing to sacrifice is the question here...

I still feel that the whole fps issue is really an FPS kind of thing, what with explosions and multiple moving objects in a combat situation, 60fps has its advantages - not so much with a driving game though, certainly one that has already shown a great sense of speed and visual fidelity without 60fps.

I also don't like polls - so forgive me for not voting.

I use my TV's "cinemotion" setting that doubles the framerate (although with a slight addition of lag, but insignificant) and have no problems with it. So the game runs very smoothly without really needing to increase strain on the PS4 processor... for me, it's enough.

as much as I prefer 60 fps, I will not vote for unlocked framerate, it would be same as GT games on the PS3 and probably much worse

Not a chance.

Unlocked frame-rate is absolutely awful. Driveclub's 30fps is satisfactory for the type of game it is. 60FPS is an absolute game-seller of a feature for me but I feel like I'm so used to it in Driveclub that I don't expect it to ever improve.

Some games should be 30 with visuals as the priority and some should be at 60 and prioritize smoothness. Driveclub falls comfortably into the former category and I wouldn't change it for a second.

I like the fact that Evo was honest when they stated the frame rate had to be locked at 30fps because that's what the console could handle.

Not to use the excuse some devs have stating "It looks more cinematic so it's better" when we know that's not entirely the truth.

30fps looks better in plenty of instances though

Some games should be 30 with visuals as the priority and some should be at 60 and prioritize smoothness. Driveclub falls comfortably into the former category and I wouldn't change it for a second.
You mis understood, the visual would be the same its just a unlocked framerate, it never dips below 30 so obviously it can be higher.

Most of the people commenting here didn't get it, the visuals would be the same but with a unlocked frame rate

I still feel that the whole fps issue is really an FPS kind of thing, what with explosions and multiple moving objects in a combat situation, 60fps has its advantages - not so much with a driving game though, certainly one that has already shown a great sense of speed and visual fidelity without 60fps.

I also don't like polls - so forgive me for not voting.
Majority of genres need 60fps

@JoshDevil

61985930.jpg

You mis understood, the visual would be the same its just a unlocked framerate, it never dips below 30 so obviously it can be higher.

I understand the question I was simply saying that it never bothered me that the game was capped at 30. I voted no as I consider an inconsistent framerate that is occasionally faster worse than a slower, locked one.

I love how there is multiple choice on a yes or no question.

Unlocking the framerate is probably not going to look good. There is a reason why it's locked to 30 now, and it's not because the developers thought it would be hilarious.

I bought DriveClub when it was on offer recently. And the first thing I noticed was the frame rate. After you've played a few games at 60fps, like ProjectCars or AssettoCorsa, DriveClub looks terrible. But I I've found a way to make it look better.
I've just bought a fancy new TV, a Philips that is 4K and HDR. It has a natural motion setting, makes normal TV look really weird, too smooth, so I'm not using it for normal watching. If you turn natural motion on with DriveClub it looks like it's at 60fps! It makes it much nicer to play, easier on the eyes.
I know I'm just catching up with the tech and many people will already be aware of this. But if you have a TV that does this and you've turned it off for the same reason I did, you might want to turn it back on for DC.

I bought DriveClub when it was on offer recently. And the first thing I noticed was the frame rate. After you've played a few games at 60fps, like ProjectCars or AssettoCorsa, DriveClub looks terrible. But I I've found a way to make it look better.
I've just bought a fancy new TV, a Philips that is 4K and HDR. It has a natural motion setting, makes normal TV look really weird, too smooth, so I'm not using it for normal watching. If you turn natural motion on with DriveClub it looks like it's at 60fps! It makes it much nicer to play, easier on the eyes.
I know I'm just catching up with the tech and many people will already be aware of this. But if you have a TV that does this and you've turned it off for the same reason I did, you might want to turn it back on for DC.

I only ever think about DC being 30fps if I've had a session on Forza 6 and then for the first couple of minutes of going back to DC I'm aware of it's lower framerate.Very quickly it becomes a non-issue as my eyes adjust to the rock solid 30fps.

One other way of getting a smoother DC experience is to turn the camera shake setting to zero,personally I like the shake as I think it adds another little layer of immersion,but if you're sensitive to the 30fps cap it definitely helps.

It's such a shame Evo aren't still working on DC,I'm sure it would have been an easy patch to give us an optional unlocked framerate mode.This in combination with the new PS4 pro boostmode could have given the 60fps that many people yearn for.

Driveclub doesn't need 60 FPS, 30 feels smooth enough, also I'm pretty sure your TV setting doesn't do anything.

It does work, it's interpolation between frames. it's not perfect looks a little strange but definitely smoother.

Thing is EVO uses a really decent motion blur, coupled with the lack of frame-pacing issues it really does feel already smooth enough, but I'd love to know more about your TV feature, what Model is your TV? and are you sure it doesn't worsen input lag?

I'll try and get a vid of it tomorrow. It's by no means perfect but it does work. The TV is a Philips 6510 the feature is called perfect motion. I usually turn off all gimmicks like noise reduction, contrast enhancement etc as it usually makes it look like someone's gone crazy with the unsharp mask in photoshop.

Back