Driveclub

• Thread starter Waheed
  • 9,286 comments
I doubt anyone is surprised by microtransactions, it seems to be the flavour of the month these days.

I'm not as big a fan of "unlock" type microtransactions as some though. They appear to be harmless, and they can be. But if you're a dev looking to maximise your profit it's an incentive to make the normal way of obtaining the content pretty grindy in an attempt to drive (ha!) players towards buying unlocks.

Just look at most F2P games for examples, you can ostensibly play for free, but the time investment to do so is usually extreme. I expect an off the shelf game to not be as bad, but that's the general direction that the design philosophy tends towards.

I watched a little over one minute of that CraigItUp nonsense and I still don't understand what the hell it is. :odd:

I watched a little over one minute of that CraigItUp nonsense and I still don't understand what the hell it is. :odd:
Craig is the head of Ghost Games (developer is NFS Rivals). In an interview he said in Rivals he's going to go back to the roots of NFS, but instead it's just another Criterion Burnout game. In the interview he said something about drifting at 160 mph laughing your ass off. So then people made videos about it and Criterion Bootcamp came and #CraigItUp

Microtransactions have their own advantages, I always use them in NFS games, in FM5, and in GT6 I probably spent more than 100£.

Microtransactions have their own advantages, I always use them in NFS games, in FM5, and in GT6 I probably spent more than 100£.
TrcImgsFAQ17moneyToilet.jpg

Oh well. Who am I to tell you how to spend your money anyway?

No, microtransactions exist to overcome artificially introduced barriers in games. Very few games use microtransactions in a benevolent way, and none of the NFSes, FM5 or GT6 do so.

Why create a balanced economy that rewards the player's time reasonably such that they enjoy both the feeling of achievement AND the joys of very open access to content, when you can create one that requires significant grinding but that players will pay you for the privilege of bypassing?

Microtransactions exist to separate fools from their money, and they're apparently bloody good at it.

Last edited:
@Imari
Couldn't agree more. Besides, those shortcuts were free in the past.

Name: Cheats
Purpose: to provide a shortcut for gamers, which doesn't want to invest hours in to a game and unlock content - cars, tracks, other stuff - right away.
Costs: for free

Nowadays developers talk like cheats never excist and microtransactions are the only way to do those stuff.

Last edited:
Advantage of getting ripped off so you can get stuff that's already in the game a little bit quicker? :odd:

Well for my brother and I, NFS games are always hard to unlock everything, and in GT6 the prizes are too low. How I would be able to buy the Delatwing, Redbull X2011 and the other cars without the microtransactions?

Well for my brother and I, NFS games are always hard to unlock everything, and in GT6 the prizes are too low. How I would be able to buy the Delatwing, Redbull X2011 and the other cars without the microtransactions?
Why do you think your brother and you have so much problems unlocking those cars while playing the game? Because they want you to buy those cars with real money. So no. Microtransactions aren't good or have benefit. They destroy the economy of a game and force people, which can't spend days or weeks unlocking their favorite cars to spend real money to do so.

Last edited:
Why do you think your brother and you have so much problems unlocking those cars while playing the game? Because they want you to buy those cars with real money. So no. Microtransactions aren't good or have benefit. They destroy the economy of a game and force people, which can't spend days or weeks unlocking their favorite cars to spend real money to do so.

Your opinion makes sense, but don't forget, when people use microtransactions, they help the game developers, to make more and better DLCs/games.

For example, if 50% of all GT6 owners had bought in-games credits perhaps now, we would have already the B-Spec, course maker, new GT Visions cars and new tracks.

Because if they didn't have microtransactions, they would have made the prizes higher so that people could actually afford the cars. Otherwise there would have been an even bigger outcry that it took ~40 hours of gameplay to afford one car (it doesn't any more, but at one point it did).

It's intentionally poor game design. They gave low payouts to make the microtransactions more attractive, not they put microtransactions in to make up for the low payouts that they have no control over...wait.

For example, if 50% of all GT6 owners had bought in-games credits perhaps now, we would have already the B-Spec, course maker, new GT Visions cars and new tracks.

If they needed more money, they should have charged more for the game. Or made a better game so that it sold more. Or just done what other game devs do, and design a game that can be developed in the time that they have available.

You know, as I watch DC's gameplay videos and even though I'm not the one playing it, I'm starting to become alittle bored by it. Does anyone else feel the same way? Don't know why though, it's a fantastic and beautiful looking game, but I've seen games like it before. My thoughts now tells me it should've been a open world racer to go against FH2, The Crew and NFS since those games are open world. Plus it should have customzation because lots of people love to customize their cars and go out on a cruise, me included.

That's how I feel DriveClub should've been, a game where you're hanging out with your buds from your club in a parking lot or whatever, and going out for a drive to places together in your hot cars.

That video just makes me think how good Horizon 2 is going to be... :(
I feel the same way bud. :( Although I hope FH2 has a coast area, ooooh. :embarrassed:

I think Driveclub as it seems to be would have been acceptable as a launch title. Launch titles always seem to be somewhat limited, and it's fine.

As a full on game released about a year into the console's life...it seems pretty but bland. Maybe the online community thing really is that good, but it probably needs a large user base to really work to best effect. It's only a good game if it sells well, and it only sells well if it's a good game.

I feel that it needs a little something extra to pull people in. If you look at the recent NFS and the like, each one has a theme, a talking point, something to give it personality. Driveclub feels like generic racing game.

I hope I'm wrong, because it is awfully pretty.

Driveclubs theme is its crazy emphasis on online teamwork. It should have amazing servers,great community features, etc if it wants to be successful

You know, as I watch DC's gameplay videos and even though I'm not the one playing it, I'm starting to become alittle bored by it. Does anyone else feel the same way? Don't know why though, it's a fantastic and beautiful looking game, but I've seen games like it before. My thoughts now tells me it should've been a open world racer to go against FH2, The Crew and NFS since those games are open world. Plus it should have customzation because lots of people love to customize their cars and go out on a cruise, me included.

That's how I feel DriveClub should've been, a game where you're hanging out with your buds from your club in a parking lot or whatever, and going out for a drive to places together in your hot cars.

I feel the same way bud. :( Although I hope FH2 has a coast area, ooooh. :embarrassed:
The funny thing is thats what i thought DC was going to be like and what they made out it was going to be like wasnt it?

^eh? :crazy:

I have complete faith this will be worth the wait, I'd rather they made sure the game wasn't effed up in every single area on release with updates after updates to fix them like a certain racing simulator game.....

starting to lose interest. looks reeeaaallly floaty... cars dont look like theyre interacting with the rd
Not really as floaty as we've seen previously - the car seemed to snap-respond nicely under controlled braking around corners and then accelerating in the same way. In other words, they didn't give the impression of drifting or being floaty around the corner.

Last edited:
Back