Driver Names Are Now FORCED ON In Online Replays As Well As When Racing Online - OPTIONAL IN 1.05

• Thread starter VBR
  • 54 comments

VBR

Meme Dissident in Exile...
Premium
England
Yorkshire
ScapeGoat4U
WhippingBoy
The option to turn off drivers names above cars in replays & while watching live races online has been added to GT6 in the 1.05 update. Now we can fully enjoy the awesome replays that this game has to offer. :drool: However, to turn them off while racing online you have to go to Watch Race & turn them off from there, as the option isn't available in the in-race menu. :ouch:

Thank you very much to Kazunori San & Polyphony Digital for allowing us to have this option. :cheers: May it be the first of many!

Original Post from December 16th 2013:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, guess what? PD have ruined something else. It's the same old issue of ignoring customer complaints, & then forcing things on us rather than giving us the option. :boggled:

This time they've forced us to have drivers names on in online replays. Yes, just when you were sick of seeing them twice when racing online (once in the list & then again above each car), you now have them on in replays with no option to turn them off! :ouch: Not only can I not change my name, having changed it 3 times already, but now I'm forced to have it on while watching replays. :grumpy: It clogs up the screen & makes viewing replays less realistic, they used to look so good with all the HUD off.

My favourite thing in GT5 was Shuffle racing, then watching the replays afterwards. Shuffles gone, & replays have been ruined for me now. That just leaves cruising offline for fun. How long before they ruin that too. :nervous:

It's such a shame as this game has such awesome content in the form of beautifully modelled cars, very well made tracks, & more or less realistic physics. :(

Last edited:
While racing online last night I noticed that the drivers list that's supposed to be on the right hand side of the screen is missing, but the driver names that hover above most cars are still forced on! Have PD updated the online, or was that just a bug? Either way it's incredibly frustrating because now I can't tell who is behind me, as driver names don't show up in the mirror or rear view when using cockpit cam! They get it wrong, then they get it wrong some more!

For the love of common sense PD, PLEASE, just let us have the option of turning what we want on or off, that way you'll keep everyone happy. They way you do it; by forcing things on us, or by removing things altogether, just alienates & annoys your customers.

when your racing online, you can see peoples PSN names above their cars.....is there any way to remove that display??? i find it distracting to look at, and it also takes away from realism

It bothers me as well, I've heard others mention it too. I have no interest in saving online replays like I used to.

It easy enough to pause the replay and look at who is driving there's no need to keep it displayed the whole time.

I agree this is not needed, it ruins the nice clean replays. I used to save a lot of replays, now I've saved only one which I deleted after seeing the names displayed.

Hopefully an option to turn this off comes in a future update.

VBR
While racing online last night I noticed that the drivers list that's supposed to be on the right hand side of the screen is missing, but the driver names that hover above most cars are still forced on!

I just figured out why that happened. If you go to the main Options menu, you can turn off driver names list (not the ones above cars). Then it will not display when you race online. However, you have no access to this menu when racing, HOW STUPID! :banghead: It seems to me that each menu was designed by a different person, & the game as a result is lacking consistancy & cohesion.

I hate the social forums expecially when other virtual realities tries to copy them!

[OT - ON]Myspace died for his reason (IMHO)[OT - OFF]

IR

VBR
I just figured out why that happened. If you go to the main Options menu, you can turn off driver names list (not the ones above cars). Then it will not display when you race online. However, you have no access to this menu when racing, HOW STUPID! :banghead: It seems to me that each menu was designed by a different person, & the game as a result is lacking consistancy & cohesion.

It drives me crazy having the names above the cars in replays. It was my intention to buy a video capture device and put together movies of online races, but these names change what looks very, very real to what looks very, very UNreal.

If anyone finds a way to eliminate names above the cars in online replays, DO let us know. Strangely, career mode replays are not afflicted with this problem. However, it's online replays with real people which I really want to be able to play back without looking like a clown. :banghead:

It drives me crazy having the names above the cars in replays...but these names change what looks very, very real to what looks very, very UNreal.

THIS! The only replays I can currently watch without wanting to throw up are ones of Free Runs. Like you said, it ruins the realistic look of the game, spoils the immersion.

Thing is... I race a small and very forgiving series with a couple of friends.

To us, the names on replays and such are cool.

But I can't understand why PD don't use options in their games. It's simple, give the people tools to craft the game towards their needs.

I made quite a few highlight videos with replays as part of a series I raced in on GT5. Here's one I made about two years ago...

Small editing issues aside I think it looks pretty good. I got my hands on a HDPVR planning to do the same with GT6 but the floating names completely eliminate the natural look to the footage. Needless to say I was more than a little disappointed when I figured out they were stuck there.

I like the replays and save nearly every one of mine. There is an option not to have any information displayed when watching replays. Not sure if this had already been brought to light.

I like the replays and save nearly every one of mine. There is an option not to have any information displayed when watching replays. Not sure if this had already been brought to light.

Yes, but there's no way to turn off peoples PSN user names when you are watching replays of online races. That's what this thread is about.

@ Hayden: Yeah this issue takes away the opportunity to create clean and professional looking videos. It seems like a very easy thing to fix so hopefully we won't have to deal with it for long (but who knows). It's just yet another "what the heck were you thinking, PD?" moment.

VBR
Yes, but there's no way to turn off peoples PSN user names when you are watching replays of online races. That's what this thread is about.

Yup just went in checked. They can't be turned off (for now). Not exactly a deal breaker for me, but I can see where some might be upset by it.

Horrible decision to attach the names above the cars in the replays without the option to turn them off, what were they thinking? Sadly I don't think there will ever be a fix for this and we will be stuck with it for the life of the game.

How could you possibly know this?
209435.strip.gif

Anyone have a pic handy showing how the names look in online screenshots? I don't have access to my PS3 right now but I'm curious as to the size and placement of the names. Wondering if you could relatively easily PS them out...

Back