Driving/Drifting basics.

• Thread starter Gonales
  • 23 comments
Germany
Germany
x_XNyordiaX_x
This is a question, not a rant or insult. I just hope that some guys in here can make some sense out of this:

When people make games, they implement the rules of the sport. Like Soccer: You can't use your hands, nor go outside the lines. Basketball: you can't kick a ball. You can't hit someone.

Then why, as soon as people start GT5, are driving basics getting ignored? I always get the reply: It's just a game. Thing is, the only reason these driving basics aren't implemented is that it's impossible to make people think about what they do.

People turn in the middle of the track, which on a track day would result in a ban, lifelong or not, and a huge fine. I know there are no lives at stake in GT5, but does that mean people can just ignore all safety reasons that are being used in real life?

I know a lot of people have no driving license/experience, and start drifting on GT5. I can understand that, doesn't mean i like it. But from people that claim to have track experience as well?

I think if you are experiencing these problems then part of it is your fault. You choose who to hang out with. If it bothers you simply stop hanging out with them.

Good to see this thread.

Yesterday, i was in a room doing sections in HSR, and there was a dude messing with every runs. Everything you can imagine that is stupid do do inside a track, he was a master.

- Overtake a train before the first corner to lead it.
- Fail most of times, messing with everyone.
- Doing a 360º in the end of the run hitting everyone that was already in line waiting.
- Not saving postitions while tandeming, forcing pass in the most dirty ways.
- Insulting people because the room´s leader was afk.

Fortunaly after 10 mins or so, the whole room voted to kick him.

Good to see this thread.

Yesterday, i was in a room doing sections in HSR, and there was a dude messing with every runs. Everything you can imagine that is stupid do do inside a track, he was a master.

- Doing a 360º in the end of the run hitting everyone that was already in line waiting.

If this is what Dom means then I support it.. About the turning around, In other words going backwards I also dislike it, But there is one reason why you would do that, everyone is doing a certain section, But on the same hand, While turning around I hate when people turn going high speeds and just turning around however as they can call it a burn out which most of the times ends up at crashing someone who is or has already turned around in order.

Though in Basketball, if you get hit. You have to call the foul. Oddly, I haven't experience complaints in Forza about this. If you make a mistake, you let the person behind you overtake you or you go off the road. Don't crash the train. Yadda Yadaa Yadda. Some people take their lines seriously while others don't.

Dom, in my honest opinion I think that you compare real life to a game too much... GT5 isn't even a simulator and a lot of kids play it therefore you can't expect everyone to go by the rules. If you want better standards, you would have to play LFS, Rfactor or something. After all GT5 is just a game, where people have fun or they just kill time and only a limited number of people use it as a simulator and they drive like in real life.

Some people take their lines seriously while others don't.

This is exactly what the problem is, some are serious while some aren't. This is the exact reason why I stay out of public rooms, (unless is hosted by someone I know) noobs with total disregard for anyone else on the track.

I can't tell you how many times I've been deep in my lines and really into what I'm doing, then all of sudden BAM, someone slams into me totally out of control. Sometimes it's so hard that it feels like me wheel's gonna break, it's such a violent movement.

Good to see this thread.

Well said Lazy!

My personal favorite is the 360 spin at the end of a tandem run. Nothing like wiping out the whole tandem line than a 360 (or perhaps a 900?)... :dunce:

Another thing i dont like and really dont understand is why in FM people can actually wait for eachother when doing a drift race. They do this so that everyone gets the chance to finish the laps and get a score in.

Why do people in GT5 always see the race as a race, even when its a drift lobby.

Yesterday; i think i found out why. Because yesterday i did my first ever seasonal drift event. (The one in the Miata) I though it would be easy for me as an experienced drifter to get the gold trophy. I got the impression that the scoring system is all about speed, the racing line and not having big amount of angle. I guess this is where all the people who begin with drifting in GT5 get the idea that a good drift is a high speed, low angle one that is on the ideal racing line.

But after four tries i only had silver, so i decided to take a look at the replay of the number one on the leaderboard and i was so very dissapointed... The guy tuned this small subaru classic car to have a top speed of 3 MPH while full throttle in 5th. He then started to do alot of very small manji's following the ideal line of the track.

Long story short; i thought the points drifting system in FM was stupid, but the way PD have implemented it is more something i would expect af someone with down syndrome.. And for the record; there is nothing wrong with having down syndrome, i just dont expect you to very complex things like programming...

Sorry for going way off topic. But the rant needed to exit me..

So to sum this thread up:

-Random online lobbies are generally a bad place to go to race seriously or drift without carnage.

We knew this by December 2010 XD
so why make this thread?

What has the title to do with this??
People turn in the middle of the track, which on a track day would result in a ban, lifelong or not, and a huge fine. I know there are no lives at stake in GT5, but does that mean people can just ignore all safety reasons that are being used in real life?

Would have exspected like a beginner guide or something, wrong title name:ill:
Complain thread or something.

Last edited:
Another thing i dont like and really dont understand is why in FM people can actually wait for eachother when doing a drift race. They do this so that everyone gets the chance to finish the laps and get a score in.

Why do people in GT5 always see the race as a race, even when its a drift lobby.

Yesterday; i think i found out why. Because yesterday i did my first ever seasonal drift event. (The one in the Miata) I though it would be easy for me as an experienced drifter to get the gold trophy. I got the impression that the scoring system is all about speed, the racing line and not having big amount of angle. I guess this is where all the people who begin with drifting in GT5 get the idea that a good drift is a high speed, low angle one that is on the ideal racing line.

But after four tries i only had silver, so i decided to take a look at the replay of the number one on the leaderboard and i was so very dissapointed... The guy tuned this small subaru classic car to have a top speed of 3 MPH while full throttle in 5th. He then started to do alot of very small manji's following the ideal line of the track.

Long story short; i thought the points drifting system in FM was stupid, but the way PD have implemented it is more something i would expect af someone with down syndrome.. And for the record; there is nothing wrong with having down syndrome, i just dont expect you to very complex things like programming...

Sorry for going way off topic. But the rant needed to exit me..

I have zero experience in the FM drifting scene, but watching the "Build It, Drift It, Kill It - Forza 4" series on youtube, i just realized that the biggest concern on the people´s there are (in order): 1) Points. 2) Race 3) Tandem.

I think that 99% here wouldn´t like to be forced to drift for points in the online lobby. Also, in GT5 when the race starts, everything can happen. Some people will actualy race for the 1st place, some people will find his partners and stay with them no matter what, some people will mess around in a chase and wait for the guys after him to start another chase. Everyone knows that there is no how to gain money drifting online, so there is no worry about 1st places, or at least shouldn´t be.

Also, backing to the speed x angle argument, its all dependant of the driver. Me for exemple, i try to go on angle over speed all the time, specialy if im followed. But everyone thinks diferent about that, so the best thing is find the guys who mix better with your style.

I agree with you about the Miata´s sessional dificulty, and i didn´t got gold in my first try (a rare thing). Also, i remember the Key´s Drift Sessional brough some strugle (specialy using a Capuccino), and i prefer to see these kind of challenge than that Speed 12 sillyness. Anyways, don´t worry about your position in the charts, just focous on the gold. 99% of the first places in the sessionals are exploiting the system flaws, most of times.

-Random online lobbies are generally a bad place to go to race seriously or drift without carnage.

so why make this thread?

I don´t know. With the increase of newcomers in this year and the "domino" system where you will find your mates and also anyone who have them on their friendlists, normaly you drift with people that you´re not used to.

What i really feel is that there is some people who don´t give a **** if they will slam their cars as they would if this game had more serious penalties (money speaking) for crashes.

Ok. Anyways the drifting etiquete goes much more complex than this starting discussion. Not only about not act like a mental in the track, but also about paired speed in the launch, tandem guidelines, waiting spots for each track, and much more.

I have zero experience in the FM drifting scene, but watching the "Build It, Drift It, Kill It - Forza 4" series on youtube, i just realized that the biggest concern on the people´s there are (in order): 1) Points. 2) Race 3) Tandem.

I think that 99% here wouldn´t like to be forced to drift for points in the online lobby. Also, in GT5 when the race starts, everything can happen. Some people will actualy race for the 1st place, some people will find his partners and stay with them no matter what, some people will mess around in a chase and wait for the guys after him to start another chase. Everyone knows that there is no how to gain money drifting online, so there is no worry about 1st places, or at least shouldn´t be.

Also, backing to the speed x angle argument, its all dependant of the driver. Me for exemple, i try to go on angle over speed all the time, specialy if im followed. But everyone thinks diferent about that, so the best thing is find the guys who mix better with your style.

I agree with you about the Miata´s sessional dificulty, and i didn´t got gold in my first try (a rare thing). Also, i remember the Key´s Drift Sessional brough some strugle (specialy using a Capuccino), and i prefer to see these kind of challenge than that Speed 12 sillyness. Anyways, don´t worry about your position in the charts, just focous on the gold. 99% of the first places in the sessionals are exploiting the system flaws, most of times.

Yep; in the public drift lobbies in FM not many try to tandem. Its all about points.. But they usually wait for each other to get to the finish line. Never seen that in GT5.

On the seasonals: is gold actually achievable with normal drifting? Any time i get, not even big but good angle, the points quit.. It almost like the lower angle gives huge amounts of points.. I guess ill just go back to grinding the oval when i need money.. 👎

so why make this thread?

Because a lot of people considered 'decent' drifters also have a lack of respect and brains on the track, which is why i wanted to ask this.

Sucks for you that you actually didn't read the OP as you should. This is a perfectly viable thread name considering the thread itself is about a lack of driving and drifting basics.

Yep; in the public drift lobbies in FM not many try to tandem. Its all about points.. But they usually wait for each other to get to the finish line. Never seen that in GT5.

On the seasonals: is gold actually achievable with normal drifting? Any time i get, not even big but good angle, the points quit.. It almost like the lower angle gives huge amounts of points.. I guess ill just go back to grinding the oval when i need money.. 👎

Gold is easily achievable tbh. Mostly only need one run to get gold in. And about the waiting: I've seen it sometimes, but not a lot :)

lack of driving and drifting basics is much different then Driving/Drifting basics.
Wrong thread title still.

Yeah, this actualy doesn´t exist in GT5 - wait in the end, still or even doing donuts, saving positions or not. It´s not part of the GT5´s culture, and i guess it would better be. In my first drifting game, Project Torque (MMORG, PC), waiting in the finish line was a basic rule.

About the Sessionals, i try to forget the section marks and do what i normaly do in the online lobby, even drifting outside of the marks. The only diference is that i try to attack the apex closer as possible, with higher angle as possible (not passing the system´s limits) with most wheelspin as possible. I guess you´re wrong about the "low angle" part, it should be "most angle as possible, since not pass the system´s limits". I always dont get close to the best scores in the sessionals, cose they cheat, but its more than enough to get the gold.

About the Sessionals, i try to forget the section marks and do what i normaly do in the online lobby, even drifting outside of the marks. The only diference is that i try to attack the apex closer as possible, with higher angle as possible (not passing the system´s limits) with most wheelspin as possible. I guess you´re wrong about the "low angle" part, it should be "most angle as possible, since not pass the system´s limits". I always dont get close to the best scores in the sessionals, cose they cheat, but its more than enough to get the gold.

Just to add to Lazy Liquid, if your angle passes 80 degrees, you will end the drift score. Other than that, you can use the same lines as you normally do. One more thing, the more wheelspin, the more points you get.

This is a dumb and stupid thing to do, but ima say it anyway. Just leave the room! If you tired of the dumb noobie noobs just leave, they aren't gonna listen to you, they make their own rules, so leave. The #1 master of noobiness in my opinion, Wiithepeople. He tries sooo hard to piss people off in drift lobbies, and watch out for monster energy's Burnout he can be a troll at times too, but all in all if this bothers you, just the bigger man and leave, and I'm pretty sure if your in a good lobby and this happens, that person will be kicked. This really only happens with the new gt5 drifters and the trolls who don't care about the style of drifting.

Back