Driving Force Config: Active Steering On/Off? Amateur, Professional or Simulation?

• Thread starter 20pwns
  • 15 comments
I just purchased the Logitech Driving Force Wheel and I was wondering what steering configurations all of you use?

Here is my story: I had become really good at drifting with the Dual Shock Controller in GT4 so I went out and brought the wheel with high hopes that it would offer even greater control, but as of now I find the wheel very, VERY difficult. :guilty: All I can say is that the wheel offers a very DIFFERENT driving experience. In the options menu I found 2 things: 1) "Active Steering On/Off" and 2) "Steering Config: Amateur, Professional and Simulation". I found that the Active Steering doesn't make too much of a difference for ME but there is a huge difference between the Amateur and the Simulation mode. I drift significantly better on Amateur mode but I can't help but feel like a wussy. lol. I'm a bit of a proud fool so I hate settling for something that seems equivelant to an "EASY" mode...

Bottom line is, I'd like to know how many of you out there use the Simulation mode and how long it took for you to get used to it? Conversly, how many of you settled for the Amateur or "EASY" mode? ^^ And my last question is, how many of you think that it's worth my while(as far as enjoying the level of realism of GT4 is concerned) to train and practice to get better on the Simulation mode? Thanks for reading my post.

20pwns

I immediately took off all aids and jumped in at Simulation; if I'm going to learn the game, I may as well learn it 'right' before I start to hinder myself in the long run my propping myself up with crutches and fake supports (no belittlement of anyone intended, just my personal mindset).

Regarding aids, there is no doubt that they will eventually hold you back. I've been racing my first Online experience against a bunch of guys here using a mini on Tsukuba and in my efforts to experiment and push myself to the max, I dabbled with aids (which were permitted under the race rules), to see if they helped or not. Without exception, I lost 1 second or more off each lap.

Don't get me wrong, it can be frustrating at first, but when things start to 'click', you'll feel a whooooole lot better for it.

I would recommend Simulation. Less interference from the game. Though I can't go check, because I am now using a DFP. I just remember Sim just felt... right.

Takes time though to get use to it.. but once you do, it all comes to gether nicely.

BTW, Miss Kolyana, you should look at the WRS then, qualifiers just started up ;)

Thanks for the replies, ^^
Sims it is... I thought it over and I just don't think that I can settle with Amateur mode, ^^
Simulation is very, VERY frustrating nevertheless... At least for now ^^

Azuremen: Which do you like better: DF or DFP?

Thanks folks,

20pwns

I've been using simulation since GT3. I thought it worked pretty well for me, at least compared to beginner. I never actually worked with Amateur and Professional. However, I found it a bit hard to drift in Simulation setting in GT3, but in GT4 it's easier for me in Sim mode.

Edit: I also turned off active steering.

red_infinity
I've been using simulation since GT3. I thought it worked pretty well for me, at least compared to beginner. I never actually worked with Amateur and Professional. However, I found it a bit hard to drift in Simulation setting in GT3, but in GT4 it's easier for me in Sim mode.

Edit: I also turned off active steering.

I agree, in gt3 simulation mode is impossible to use; constant spins regardless if you counter steer, slow down, speed up, etc... In gt4, sim is alot easier and resembles pro in gt3 more than sim in gt3.

I use sim simply because i don't like the idea of relying on the computer to help me.

wow, I find it amazing that most of you guys think that Sim is quite easy. One of you even said that it was the "easiest"! Crazy! I still can't handle the constant spin-outs and brake locks =(... Just to make one thing clear, you guys are referring to DRIFTING on Sim, right? I'm ONLY talking about DRIFTING. Damn, I guess I ain't as good as I though I was... lol. I'm trying my best! Doesn't anyone else find that Amateur is much easier to drift in GT4 or is it just me??! lol... Not trying to sound arrogant but in Amateur mode, I could dish out some nice dynamic drifts, pull thru some long "C"s and "U"s without breaking form, and connect some sharp "S"s while maintaining quite high mph. On Sim? No where close... =(
Wut the hell is going on...

20pwns
wow, I find it amazing that most of you guys think that Sim is quite easy. One of you even said that it was the "easiest"! Crazy! I still can't handle the constant spin-outs and brake locks =(... Just to make one thing clear, you guys are referring to DRIFTING on Sim, right? I'm ONLY talking about DRIFTING. Damn, I guess I ain't as good as I though I was... lol. I'm trying my best! Doesn't anyone else find that Amateur is much easier to drift in GT4 or is it just me??! lol... Not trying to sound arrogant but in Amateur mode, I could dish out some nice dynamic drifts, pull thru some long "C"s and "U"s without breaking form, and connect some sharp "S"s while maintaining quite high mph. On Sim? No where close... =(
Wut the hell is going on...

Stupid question here, sorry...

Where do you find these options? I just bought the DFP and am playing around with it now, finding the settings I like, but I cant find these options.

Wheel is well worth the big bucks I shelled out for it though. MUCH, Much more exciting! Brings a whole new level to the game! Just raced Sarthe 2 in my R8 with the wheel for the first time. Finished 56 seconds (yes, I said 56 seconds :) ) behind the leader and LOVED every second of it.

👍 👍

hitman146
well i don´t use my wheel only some times but if i use it i use proffesional works for the best

Deffo, Like When Schumacher gets In his F2005 It immediatly Asks Him on his, Steering Wheel, whether He wants , amateur, Pro Or Sim,

So evidently Pro Must Work For the Best,

Very Very Pointless Logic :crazy:

(SARCASM)

You guys do know that the amateur, pro and sim modes are only for the GT Force wheel, right?
These settings should make no difference if you use the DFP.

That's not going to stop me from checking right now though :)

Simulation! Simulation! Simulation!

What can I say, I had the Driving Force and was using Simulation from the get-go and found it difficult at first (but awesome). After a few days I got MUCH better at it, and could drive a lot smoother (and faster) than with the controller (going back to the controller after using the wheel is funny).

Also, drifting on the rally courses was really hard at first, but after lots of practice it was awesome! You sort of have to use the accelerator as a means of controlling your drift, rather than just relying on where you point the wheels.

And could someone please tell me why the developers of the GT games keep on insisting that TCS and ASM be the default of every car you buy in GT mode (and also the default setting for Arcade mode)?

Seriously, where is the fun in playing with those aids? Even for beginners it would be boring.

edit: The Driving Force IS the GT Force, isnt it? It just has more buttons and some hardware problems fixed, otherwise I'm pretty sure the Amateur setting made the Force Feedback on my Driving Force much easier and weaker.

Well, I did check, and when you highlight the option for amateur/pro/sim the scrolling message across the bottom says this option is for GT Force and is disabled for the DFP.

However, in very very limited playing time since I changed it to Sim to check it out, and I mean less than a minute, I appeared to have more oversteer with the Ford GT in the mission hall at Laguna Seca. Whether this was my imagination or not I will have to check tomorrow and try different surfaces.

However, in the options it does say this option is disabled if you use the DFP.
And the GT Force is not the same as the DFP.

Edit:

Ok, my bad, I'm an idiot.

I misread the original post, possibly due to a few drinks too many. The rusultant oversteer I experienced was probably due to driving after said drinks.

I apologise. Just shoes how alocohol can have a detrimental effect I guess.

Strange. Does it let you select Amateur/Professional/Simulation for the DFP anyway? I was sure I had changed it.

What does Active Steering do? I don't actually recall seeing that.

In general, this sounded like the most reference-like thread, but, does anyone know of a thread which quantifies all these parameters?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise from your GRAAAAVE ye old classic thread!!!!

Great threads NEVER DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway I'm on a DFP(well, not really, I'm actually using direct drive wheel, and playing GT4 via P**X2 e*u and the game thinks I'm on a DFP). One thing I notice is that the game has a tremendous amount of oscillation around the center. Pretty much impossible to get rid of it. The FFB itself besides that is very good for such an old game.

But I would also like to address this....

Well, I did check, and when you highlight the option for amateur/pro/sim the scrolling message across the bottom says this option is for GT Force and is disabled for the DFP.

However, in very very limited playing time since I changed it to Sim to check it out, and I mean less than a minute, I appeared to have more oversteer with the Ford GT in the mission hall at Laguna Seca. Whether this was my imagination or not I will have to check tomorrow and try different surfaces.

However, in the options it does say this option is disabled if you use the DFP.
And the GT Force is not the same as the DFP.

Edit:

Ok, my bad, I'm an idiot.

I misread the original post, possibly due to a few drinks too many. The rusultant oversteer I experienced was probably due to driving after said drinks.

I apologise. Just shoes how alocohol can have a detrimental effect I guess.

Bro.....I just did that mission, and it's not that you had too many drinks, it's the fact that your wheel was probably set to either 540º or 270º. That old GT40 around Leguna Seca demands that you have the rotation of your wheel set to 900º. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING less than that it'll be oversteer paradise for that car! I couldn't believe how twitch the car was at even 540º. It's crazy. Once I set it to 900º it much more manageable.

What are you guys' thoughts on 270º VS 540º VS 900º ?

Also, anyone still playing GT4 in 2022 is most likely on p**x2....so what em***ted wheel do you guys select to play the game? Driving Force? GT Force? DFP?

Back