Driving Force Pro users, please notice

FooAtari
racing a bike is so much more demanding than racing a car, if anything its a slight backward step for a racer. Requires more balls to, when you crash a bike you hit the tarmac, in a car your not really going anywhere these days as you are enclosed and strapped tightly in.

Not an F1 car mate... My cousin (no lies here you can look him up!!!) is a mechanic on the BAR team... His surname will be Gibson and he's south african... Anyway, if you depress the throttle on an F1 car just 1mm too much, you stand a chance at spinning... Also, the amount of G-Force an F1 driver goes through for 2 hours of racing is IMMENSE!!, Bike riders don't experience this as much... I'd say they're more on a par, with none more demanding than the other... I raced a 9 hour enduro last year with my uncle in my RX2... I slept for like 3 days after that...

Anyway, the point of this thread was about the wheel, and bottom line is this... the wheel doesn't shake like that IRL!!!

christofire
As I said, I think the oscillation is a product of the game signalling a bump to the FF, the FF turning the wheel, the player trying to damp that turning, then the game signalling a weight-shift to the FF. It all conspires to make the shake.
Next time it starts happening, take you hads off the wheel and see what happens, then come back and tell me it's because of the driver (player) trying to correct it...

ViXeN
Not an F1 car mate... My cousin (no lies here you can look him up!!!) is a mechanic on the BAR team... His surname will be Gibson and he's south african... Anyway, if you depress the throttle on an F1 car just 1mm too much, you stand a chance at spinning...

Not aware of the use of Traction Control in F1 at the moment are you? If that were the case the Traction Control clearly isnt doing its job...
And secondly I defy anyone to be able to move their foot with that kind of accuracy... F1 cars are powerful and hard to drive on the limit, but they are not that twitchy/sensative...

Also, the amount of G-Force an F1 driver goes through for 2 hours of racing is IMMENSE!!, Bike riders don't experience this as much...

Thats true about the G-Force, but have you ever tried to lean a bike over at 80mph? They move about the bike alot and getting it around a circuit requires alot of effort. An F1 car has power steering, none of that on a bike..

Next time it starts happening, take you hads off the wheel and see what happens, then come back and tell me it's because of the driver (player) trying to correct it...

You have lost me their, I will go back and read the thread again.

ViXeN
The wheel shakes on any track going above 320 km/h for me... smooth, rough, bumpy it doesn't matter... It's unrealistic!!! and I know this because I have taken a full modified race car to 350km/h (that's above 200mp/h) and it was smoother than a baby's bottom!!!

christofire, I know what a tankslapper is, I've had three bikes in my life time and more tankslapper than I care to try and remember... But side to side shake on a racing car... NO!!! not realistic...

Ikari_San F1 cars are THE most sensitive cars in the world to drive!!! Mic Dewan (<- not sure of spelling) and Yuah Kankinen (<- not sure of spelling), Motorcycle world champ and rally world champ, couldn't even complete 1 yes 1 lap in Jacques Vilenuve's (<-spelling again) F1 car... Mic got through 3 corners and Yuah got through 4 before they both spun out!!! So when you see an F1 wheel shaking on corners that's not actually shaking, it's the driver making corrections to the steering to avoide spinning...

The reason I'm so adament about this subject is because I've been at those speeds in real life and I know from experience that it is not realistic!!!

Ok I see what you are talking about now, and I dont agree. Do you really think that under high speed and hard acceleration their is no movement through the steering wheel? Especialy on a single seater with very little suspension. No track/road is perfectly smooth and when driving at high speed all bumps and undulations(sp) on the road are magnafied and you sure as hell feel them through the steering. With the experience you claim to have I'm pointing out the obvious here.

If a driver is having to constatly adjust steering through the corner, especially in a car that grips the road to the extant that F1 car does then the car is poorly setup. You watch one of the font running cars in F1 from on-board and a driver in a well setup and balanced car has to make very little corrections to the steering, especially with use of Traction Control...

The shaking is awful.

I agree that it conveys a sense of speed, but even better would be if the shaking were infact shaking rather than random turning. Also, it should come on less suddenly. When I'm doing 180 in an F1 it doesn't happen. By the time I hit 190 it's in full force. Comeon! How realistic is that? Ramp it up nice and slow... and make it so that it's a vibration rather than a torque.

The wheel should vibrate like it does on a rally course, not twist in your hand randomly.

Sure if you hit a bump with one wheel but not the other one you're going to get a pull to one side or the other and the wheel might even twist in your hand. That's fine and dandy, but that should be a bit more random, less pronounced, and much more infrequent.

If they wanted to convey a feeling of instability they could have done that simply by having the car react strongly to minor steering inputs. I find that it deters me from driving certain courses - and it irritates me when I do drive them, especially on endurance courses.

At the very least you should be able to shut it off - like shutting off the rumble feature on the DS2 controllers.

If anyone figures out how to shut it off, let me know.

Ok guys... for those who hate the vibrations coming from the wheel, just go buy a cheap steering wheel without feedback! Ok, now... I race cars... but I am in drag racing. That doesn't mean I don't feel the wheel twitching when hitting over 200 mph on a straight line. Yes, I am dealing with hard acceleration and body twist trying keep straight.. but even down the stretch... its still a lot of work holding the wheel. Someone was arguing that a '68 camaro won't feel like an F1 down the stretch... and well it doesn't because its a road car meant for comfort, not nailing corners over 140 mph. Thats why there is so much downforce on the racing cars... to keep them from getting airborne and to hug the track harder especially when cornering. The suspension is so much stiffer in racing cars, where street cars generally have suspension that allows for comfort... after all, its a street car! True... sometimes the wheel DOES feel unrealistic at times I admit.. but for a VIDEO GAME driving simulator... it does a damn good job of trying to recreate the feeling of the real thing. Unfortunately, its impossible to simulate the impact of steering while the suspension is being compressed at the same time and while hitting bumps and rocks on the track... it's just impossible to make it more random because games just don't seem to be made like that. We are asking the impossible of these guys who make the games and wheels, but I gotta say my hat is off to the efforts in making gt4 and the dfp wheel. It does a hell of a job in my opinion... 👍

i need help, my steering wheel isnt responding as good as it did. when i turn it ..lets us a clock as an example when i turn the wheel btw 10-2 it doesnt move or just doesnt feel tight any more as it did....

Good day to you sir,

I have this problem with my DFP. It doesnt calibrate. It should start to calibrate whenever i start the gt4 but nothing happens. The left led light isn't even blinking, but the right led is lighting up. I already checked my adapter with a multi-tester and its working fine. I think that the wheel is not communicating with the console, but the right led is lighting up. I dont know what to do. Your assistance would greatly be appreciated. Cheers!

Back