Driving personal car after GT Sport racing

• Thread starter sturk0167
  • 71 comments
United States
Nor Cal
sturk0167
I did a few online races, this morning before leaving the house to go to the store. I found myself checking the rear-view mirror a lot for other cars coming fast from behind. I also looked for the apex of every turn and accelerated sooner and harder out of the turns than I needed to. I don't normally drive this way. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I do have that kind of feeling when I drive after an intense GT session, however my crappy car doesn't allow me to do anything particular, no matter how hard I can try :( but I do agree with @mc0029 on GTA :P

No but there are some days where i get in the vette after having raced online and drive faster than I should.

I have a couple motorcycles in the garage and when my wife and I used to ride together she commented on more than one occasion how much time I spent turning my head. I would check mirrors, look in blind spots, look ahead, and prior to intersections I would slow and look for crossing traffic. It also carried over to driving my truck and her car when I drove it. I call it defensive driving. I find when I am playing GTS I am doing the same thing. So I guess it is the opposite for me, my driving has carried over to the game. Man, I miss our rides together.
Jerry.

I always look for an apex now, no matter what I am driving! I try not to get to hyped up before I get in my real Corvette. Try to remember insurance, police, accidents, death and dismemberment, and getting yelled at by the neighbors!

I did a few online races, this morning before leaving the house to go to the store. I found myself checking the rear-view mirror a lot for other cars coming fast from behind. I also looked for the apex of every turn and accelerated sooner and harder out of the turns than I needed to. I don't normally drive this way. Anyone else have a similar experience?
No offense but people who don't drive like this on a daily basis should have their licence revoked . You openly admitted online that you drive semi blind by mot checking your rear mirror every 10 seconds ( yes you should do that , and every time you come to a hault , saved my ass once on the freeway when the ditz behind me was texting , I pulled to the side from a standstill when I noticed the car behind wasn't slowing down, she smashed into the car in front of me ) . Checking the apex of every turn is critical in seeing pedestrians . If you aren't fully dedicated to driving you shouldn't drive . To many people " drive " around semi or completely distracted and end up killing some one / crashing . Too many use the excuse " he / she came out if nowhere " like no you just weren't checking your damn mirrors / looking .

You openly admitted online that you drive semi blind by mot checking your rear mirror every 10 seconds ( yes you should do that , and every time you come to a hault , saved my ass once on the freeway when the ditz behind me was texting , I pulled to the side from a standstill when I noticed the car behind wasn't slowing down, she smashed into the car in front of me ).

good save, but from my own experience it's more important to pay attention to cars in front of you because sometimes thay can do unexpected things and one can rear-end them easily when checking mirrors too often

Not so much in my car but in a super market I am always stepping out the rear with the shopping trolley on the turns in and out of the ilses. And of course everyone and their trolleys diving into the first corner at the wine and beer section is a must.
The beer pit stop to make a complete refuel ? :D

So 2010 I had done quite a number of driving lessons, and learning ridiculously fast (5 lessons in 1) to do my test. I honestly believe my experience of racing games helped me tremendously in terms of understanding car control and just having a bit more confidence in driving.

Anyway in 2011 there was GT Academy, my first proper go and I had just qualified I think or was about to and 1 rule in GT Academy is that you need to have a driving licence... So crash course booked, instructor knew what it was for and within the first 10 minutes of driving he said 'I can see you're taking racing lines and you'll have to stop doing that to pass the test' :D. Fortunately I did and managed to pass my test and went to the national final. Definitely a lot of pressure in that test knowing if I failed I wasn't going, and apparently I got the harshest examiner as well so double win :D!

To be honest with you I still take racing lines now in my own car as lets be honest, it's the line of least resistance, so technically most efficient!

What cars does everyone driver IRL?

----------------------

@Tidgney :lol: amazing that you were a good sim racing driver before even driving a real car!

Oh it happens to me after trackdays quite often :D:D:D

----------------------

@Tidgney :lol: amazing that you were a good sim racing driver before even driving a real car!

Nissan 370z :)!

True, I honestly believe racing games as someone has mentioned we put in thousands upon thousands of miles/hours and it definitely does translate back to driving for a large proportion of people. Half of my racing team went to PalmerSport last year and we were all quick.

Renault Kerplunk (Kadjar) as my friend calls it (I'm old, have kids, need comfort, ride mountain bikes, blah blah blah).

Ride motorbikes for the speed thrill though - Gixxer 600

Nissan 370z :)!

True, I honestly believe racing games as someone has mentioned we put in thousands upon thousands of miles/hours and it definitely does translate back to driving for a large proportion of people. Half of my racing team went to PalmerSport the other month and we were all quick.

I actually was just laughing at your comment...! But good start :)

I love my license too much to not be a boy racer again.

Half of my racing team went to PalmerSport last year and we were all quick.

Did you do the overclockers competition for that? I'm sure there were some vaguely familiar names when I read it.

A 1 litre 3 cylinder Focus with a whopping 98hp. Enough power to pull the skin off custard. Just.:mischievous:

Back