Driving personal car after GT Sport racing

• Thread starter sturk0167
  • 71 comments
Volkswagen mk4 R32, 400hp HPA turbo

i-TcwXXgp.jpg

Nice. đź‘Ť

I'm a Dubber, through and through... in my 10 years as a driver: Mk 4 Golf 1.6 16v, Mk 5 Golf GT Sport TDi 170, Scirocco TSI 210 DSG

Opel Astra station wagon :( :D

Since 99% of my driving is in a city enviroment it doesn't really matter though.. Luckily gf's dad lends us his Chrysler 300cc for longer trips.

No idea what car I would drive if I had a bigger budget..

I did a few online races, this morning before leaving the house to go to the store. I found myself checking the rear-view mirror a lot for other cars coming fast from behind. I also looked for the apex of every turn and accelerated sooner and harder out of the turns than I needed to. I don't normally drive this way. Anyone else have a similar experience?

For me it's the internal gyro that gets put out. You can spend hours on GTS and then if you head out in a real car, tip it into a turn and the g-force created even by a mild turn can seem initially unsettling. It almost feels like you will run out of grip when you are miles from the limit. Not even 40% of the available grip. Same principle that many of the F1 drivers don't like too much SIM work as they say it messes with the feelings they generate in the car.

IRL if I see traffic cones, I think I should either turn in or hit the brakes! Late braking in my 2013 Corvette always upsets the wife, god forbid ! trade a little paint with someone - "Hey lady, move your Prius! She's okay, she's okay, the mail box stopped her." Good times.

No. But i drove like that after watching 'Speedvision' programming. That kind of driving brought about many troubles. So by the time GT was released, i had somewhat learned how not to use other vehicles as a speed brake or cornering tool. Kind of like 'Tokyo Drift' but i wasnt trying to drift... those Firestone 721s and 5yo brakes just werent up the tasks i was demanding.

These are fun -- now for a late reply:

Whenever I get heavy into a sim I recognize or remind myself while driving in real life (IRL) that aiming for the apex is neither good for others on the road or for passengers,-only fun for the driver! I pride myself on smooth, well positioned, defensive driving (have had mothers/lovers-in-laws fall asleep as passengers!) and GTS has some crossover with those skills, but there are definitely two modes IRL driving: Competition vs. Comfort. As a postscript: I had to retake my in-car driving exam in a foreign country to get my local drivers license -- the instructor actually fell asleep during the exam(!), although in all fairness it was the first exam of the day and the sun had no yet come up (Norwegian winter).

I have driven and owned a few cars in GT over the years... I feel like my current drives being SUVs in a city with 5 mil. people is completely alien to Gran Turismo or Forza or Horizon...

The only time I felt like I was tested was when I was driving to regional/country areas where I might have driven anywhere from 150 to 300km away on windy country roads or highways where there was no cops, few cars to be seen and no mobile reception!

Here I was driving turbo inline sixes or V8 manuals, rwd so I had plenty of power and someone else was paying the fuel bill.

These are fun -- now for a late reply:

Whenever I get heavy into a sim I recognize or remind myself while driving in real life (IRL) that aiming for the apex is neither good for others on the road or for passengers,-only fun for the driver! I pride myself on smooth, well positioned, defensive driving (have had mothers/lovers-in-laws fall asleep as passengers!) and GTS has some crossover with those skills, but there are definitely two modes IRL driving: Competition vs. Comfort. As a postscript: I had to retake my in-car driving exam in a foreign country to get my local drivers license -- the instructor actually fell asleep during the exam(!), although in all fairness it was the first exam of the day and the sun had no yet come up (Norwegian winter).

I'm more into fuel management which is the total opposite of my in game driving. I know where I can drop the car in neutral and roll all the way out to the corner. Pedestrian lights starting to flash in the distance, roll out, won't make it before the light turns yellow. Depending on whether I'm alone I'll take corners fast to conserve momentum. It's not my fault they put that little score mpg meter on the dashboard :)

I cycle more than I drive though. That's very different from GTS. You do not want to slide so it's always looking out for loose gravel on the road or wet spots. Look for traffic behind to start the corner as wide as possible, while on dirt trails look for the high spots to use as leverage. Looking for the safest fastest line is quite different on 2 wheels.

I had to retake my exam in a different country as well. The instructor did not fall asleep, yet did appreciate me anticipating the 2 occasions where a cyclist went through a red light in front of us. I know that kind of scum!

For me, I can't say that GTS affects my daily driving habits. Just like I don't have to "think" or "relearn" anything when I change from an automatic gearbox (my Lexus IS250 F Sport) to a manual on either of my BMWs (E34 525i & E36 320i).

But all the 20 years of car games and simulators have sure improved my overall driving skill. For example, when I took my first RWD car onto an ice track 10 years ago, I didn't have to learn going sideways or any of the basics of drifting - I just went there and did it, since I'd been doing it a lot on the racing sims. Ofcourse there are some things you can't learn virtually, mostly due to the absence of the "butt-feel", but you will know the basics and that's a big advantage over your friends who have no idea when to countersteer :D

Back