Driving Style (wheel users)

• Thread starter torque99
  • 17 comments
England
England
I have had my Thrustmaster T300 a few weeks and just getting a general idea of peoples driving style on here mainly with the gears/foot peddles. Mine is paddle auto and not manual clutch (yet).

I am finding I am driving it like a traditional auto- left foot off completely and using right foot for brake and accelerate (apart from start with left foot on brake) otherwise I am finding it hard to left foot brake.

Do any of you use - left foot braking round any tracks? or Heel and toe if you have a clutch.

Is it worth getting a manual gearstick/clutch for those that have brought it as an addition as I am now getting used to the quick gear change paddles on the wheel having traditionally always driven manual gears/ 'stick shift' cars in the real world.

So what is your Driving Style?

Always left foot brake, it's smoother and faster. It may take a week or so to get used to it but eventually you will, even though it will feel strange and imprecise at first. Soon you'll be able to brake just as good as you can with your right foot.

Always left foot and a mix of left and right foot for cars with manual gearbox.
Auto clutch is waaay tooo slow in the cars without sequential gears.

I left foot break all the time. never felt weird to me, but perhaps that's also because I'm left-footed so it feels natural.

Seeing i have it on auto clutch and sequential shifting at the moment, i better start practicing left foot braking too. Tried heel-toe for a while (even put my brake pedal a bit closer to the throttle), but with my frog feet i just can't get the hang of it :D

I do left foot braking because of comfort. Much better and comfortable having pedals apart, than cramped together. I have my shifter in a sequential mode all the time, I use that for cars with H shifter, which I rarely drive anyway. Mostly in Dirt rally. Circuit sims are all about GT cars.

I get enough H shifting IRL. I don't miss it in sim racing.

I prefer to use paddles, auto clutch and left foot braking, more comfortable and I am faster that way but can do it any way that is needed.

IRL I use left foot braking on cars without a clutch and right foot on those with a clutch.

I've always left foot braked in race games, it comes naturally to me after riding a motorcycle for over 40 years (man and boy :P) so I'm used to driving using different parts of the body .... you really ought to try owning and riding a japanese and a british motorcycle at the same time, you have to try to remember at all times which you are riding as the brake and gear peddles are reversed on them .... it can cause some brown trouser moments when you forget and get it wrong lol

Having said that I'll be ordering the T3PA-pro peddle set when they're back in stock, so I'll be getting used to using right foot braking too while racing .... more realism, more fun :D

Seeing i have it on auto clutch and sequential shifting at the moment, i better start practicing left foot braking too. Tried heel-toe for a while (even put my brake pedal a bit closer to the throttle), but with my frog feet i just can't get the hang of it :D
When I first started reading about people using right foot braking while sim racing I actually thought they were trolling:lol: Growing up kart racing of course everyone left foot brakes so it's natural for me and the ability to instantaneously apply throttle and brake, sometimes simultaneously, is invaluable. Learning to swap left and right foot for braking while learning to manual shift and heel and toe was quite a challenge on the other hand.

Frog feet? I thought you were Spanish not French:sly:

Whether it's worth it to get the full pedal set and a shifter is a personal choice. In my case the answer is a resounding yes as it really adds to a level of enjoyment and immersion when you have the option to drive all cars the way they were driven in real life. Fully modern with paddles and driving aids and completely old school with manual clutch and shifting and everything in between. Driving older cars with paddles just doesn't feel right anymore:yuck:

When I first started reading about people using right foot braking while sim racing I actually thought they were trolling:lol: Growing up kart racing of course everyone left foot brakes so it's natural for me and the ability to instantaneously apply throttle and brake, sometimes simultaneously, is invaluable. Learning to swap left and right foot for braking while learning to manual shift and heel and toe was quite a challenge on the other hand.
Switched to left foot braking and instantly got the hang of it, and it is already making me faster so good show.

Frog feet? I thought you were Spanish not French:sly:
Belgian
teacher.gif

When I learned to drive I was always told never use your left foot for the brake, always use the right foot. The first two cars I owned were both manual so of course that meant right foot braking. I then bought a muscle car with an auto trans and discovered very quickly the benefit of being able to brake and apply throttle very quickly or at the same time.

To me it just seemed logical and totally natural 2 feet, 2 pedals hmmm...

That muscle car btw was like the one in my avatar and at the risk of sounding old it was only 8 years old when I bought it and cost me $395

I left foot brake unless I'm using the H-shifter with the clutch. If I'm using the clutch I brake with my right foot and heel-toe. Surprisingly, I was trying out the BMW M1 Procar with the H-shifter and autoclutch off and I was faster than when I was using the paddles with autoclutch on. I don't know why, because my braking was noticeably worse not being able to left foot brake. And trying to modulate the brake pedal that has no feedback on lockup for a car with no ABS is pretty difficult while heel-toeing at the same time. But it's much easier to be consistent without using the H-shifter, even though it's not as fast for some reason.

I left foot brake unless I'm using the H-shifter with the clutch. If I'm using the clutch I brake with my right foot and heel-toe. Surprisingly, I was trying out the BMW M1 Procar with the H-shifter and autoclutch off and I was faster than when I was using the paddles with autoclutch on. I don't know why, because my braking was noticeably worse not being able to left foot brake. And trying to modulate the brake pedal that has no feedback on lockup for a car with no ABS is pretty difficult while heel-toeing at the same time. But it's much easier to be consistent without using the H-shifter, even though it's not as fast for some reason.
I think the auto-clutch increases the time between shifts, perhaps artificially, to compensate for competing against full manual shifters, so the paddle guys don't get a big advantage by driving that way. I'm finding no disadvantage to fully manual shifting in any of the older cars, although in high grip modern race cars, paddles are still the way to go I think. That's my theory anyway.:sly:

I use auto clutch manual with paddles using left foot for braking.

I think the auto-clutch increases the time between shifts, perhaps artificially, to compensate for competing against full manual shifters, so the paddle guys don't get a big advantage by driving that way. I'm finding no disadvantage to fully manual shifting in any of the older cars, although in high grip modern race cars, paddles are still the way to go I think. That's my theory anyway.:sly:

Given my driving preference (as stated above), I find letting off the throttle while shifting (like you would when using a clutch) makes you shift faster and smoother than just flat footing it. You also get a different sound letting off vs flat foot. It worked really well in the Clio Cup and the Ginetta G40 (so far).

For all those who use auto clutch give it a try.

In an online race it's left foot braking and auto clutch/paddle shift for me all day long. It's just safer for my competitors that way :D

In offline, single player I use whatever the car calls for. If it has an H pattern I use the clutch and shifter. If it has sequential, I use the paddles with auto clutch. I also mapped the auto clutch setting to a button so I can easily turn it on and off as needed.

Back