Driving tricks and techniques

  • Thread starter Thread starter Puckhead73
  • 39 comments
  • 3,796 views
Messages
31
Messages
Puckhead73
So I recently have gotten my two younger brothers into Gt pretty heavily, and one of them was asking about any advanced techniques or "tricks" of you will. He asked this after I showed him how depending on the situation when dealing with understeer, you can shift down to swing the back end around out of the understeer with a minimal loss of speed. I have done this since I started racing with a standard transmission years ago. My question is in 2 parts, 1) is that considered poor technique, and 2) what other little nuances like that are there to help to make yourself a better driver? I can hold my own, and like to think i am even pretty fast around a circuit, but i am always looking for ways to improve my abilities.

Let the discussions commence. :)
 
That's pretty basic as far as "techniques" go, but good nonetheless...

i'll give u one: i think it requires a suspension/braking set-up with a overall "harder"(and less grip) rear setting than front.....

what i do is approach the corner, and brake hard or midway(a little late as well) just MOMENTARILY, while adding a slight steering adjustment AWAY from the turn....and as soon as the nose of the car starts to point away from the corner(u MUSSST catch this early), brake again- harder than before, and slightly longer (these timings will have to be learnt) while adding SIGNIFICANT steering INTO the corner- swinging your tail end wiiiiiiide. come off the brakes and apply LIBERAL and REGULATED throttle(feathered) AND COUNTERSTEER and.........slide your car through the corner. As the nose of the car passes the apex....reduce countersteer, and moderate your throttle for corner exit. May be significantly more difficult in cars that are running on Racing Tires.

*Note that you can increase the swing of the car by adding/substituting E-Brake where there is Braking.

"Scandinavian Flick"
 
Are you looking for drifting techniques? If you are trying to drift the E-brake method is probably the easiest and more reliable but in some situations the above "scandinavian flick" can be useful to get through a series of Chicanes.

You're racing for faster racing times however, I would consider any sort of sliding poor technique. Your tyres have limited grip, you should be using all of that grip to improve your speed, instead of sliding and losing all of it.

Best advice would be to do all the licenses and learn the fundamentals of racing. Simple things like the correct out-in-out line and slow-in fast-out will dramatically improve your lap times and make you a better driver, and make racing more fun.

The fundamental of racing however is pretty simple. You want to be making your tyres work as much as they possibly can as often as you possibly can. Just never try to make them work more than their grip allows them to, as that is when you lose it. A good rule of thumb is that if the tyres are squealing slightly you are working them enough, if they are smoking and squealing loudly or sliding, you've over worked them and need to reduce throttle/steer inputs.

http://www.youtube.com/user/iRacingTV#g/c/D5C6691B97E2CBFA

Those videos will help you understand how to race. The idea of having a string attached to the throttle break and steering is a very good way to think of it. If you steer, you cannot brake/throttle as much, if you throttle/brake, you cannot steer.
 
Well,if your brothers use a drivingline? Because your hud could replace.it,when you look at.your speed it will blink a red number for example 4,it represents what gear you should be on at around a corner so you brake until the number dissapears.If you follow that it should improve lap times and improves racing skill
 
Slow in, fast out is probably the best 'trick' they can learn.
 
I've noticed that there are two racing lines. One is the digital line PD gives, which is quite rubbish truth be told. The other is the rubbered-in line which is already layed down on the tracks, which if you pay attention (especially in corners) you can get a better idea on braking points and the entry/exit to said corners.

I'm at work so I can't put up a picture to show what I'm talking about... perhaps someone could lend a hand... but its there. After noticing this way back when, I did pick up noticable time on laps compared to strictly running PD's line. Just something to keep in the back of your mind :)
 
The only tip I can offer refers to FF cars. If you're struggling with major understeer entering a corner, stick some harder compound tyres on the rear. I usually find that a good balance can be gained from using Racing Soft up front and Intermediate Wets on the rear. Generally the rear will break away, but in a predicatable way. It takes a little practice to learn how to get the best approach, but once you get the basic idea of how the car reacts to this setup you can pretty much carry it to most other FF's.
(I have used full wets on the rear, and that invokes some really fun oversteer, even up to drift level physics!!)
 
The LINE. Slow in, draw the correct line, then fast out. Basic and simple. But to improve you have to learn how to turn in not so slow, and sometimes draw a narrower line when exit speed is not so important.
The most difficult is how to draw that line.

Some tricks:
- brake early is better than brake too late
- drifting just make you lose speed
- let your tires squeal. If they don't at every inch of the corner, you aren't fast enough
 
The only tip I can offer refers to FF cars. If you're struggling with major understeer entering a corner, stick some harder compound tyres on the rear. I usually find that a good balance can be gained from using Racing Soft up front and Intermediate Wets on the rear. Generally the rear will break away, but in a predicatable way. It takes a little practice to learn how to get the best approach, but once you get the basic idea of how the car reacts to this setup you can pretty much carry it to most other FF's.
(I have used full wets on the rear, and that invokes some really fun oversteer, even up to drift level physics!!)

Or if you've fitted Fully Customisable suspension, you can increase rear camber, which has the same effect, but you can tune the car more to your liking.
 
I've noticed that there are two racing lines. One is the digital line PD gives, which is quite rubbish truth be told. The other is the rubbered-in line which is already layed down on the tracks, which if you pay attention (especially in corners) you can get a better idea on braking points and the entry/exit to said corners.

I'm at work so I can't put up a picture to show what I'm talking about... perhaps someone could lend a hand... but its there. After noticing this way back when, I did pick up noticable time on laps compared to strictly running PD's line. Just something to keep in the back of your mind :)

Never mind, just got what you meant by rubbered-in... :)
 
Last edited:
If possible, be on the outside of a turn while braking.
This will give you less of an angle that you need to turn, therefore giving you more speed through a corner.

It's the Outside-inside-outside line. It's also the straightest line through a standard corner.
 
As we all know, if you're understeering a RWD/MR car, just stab the throttle for a moment and you're good to go. 👍
 
If possible, be on the outside of a turn while braking.
This will give you less of an angle that you need to turn, therefore giving you more speed through a corner.

It's the Outside-inside-outside line. It's also the straightest line through a standard corner.
Speaking of angles... I can't recall what series I was watching not to long ago (I want to say BTCC, perhaps ALMS) but the colour commentator mentioned a cornering technique I never heard of prior. The way he described it & I grasped, and he even drew up on a white board, was to more or less take corners - specifically hairpins I believe - at right angles. Basically keep a straight line on approach until the the top (or the far outside) of the corner, tap the brakes slightly to get your wheels pointed in the right direction, then immediately power out on the exit. He had said it is a couple tenths quicker through the turn with this technique, as compared to a tire-screeching arc.

I know my re-description blows chunks, but be damned if I can even remember the guys name or the track for that matter :lol: I'll dig around and see if I can find the clip, his explanation was a helluva lot better.
 
It's like Petter Solberg said: "You have too be really really neat, because the minute you go sideways you loose time".
 
It all comes with experience. I like to think of myself as a good driver as I golded many many events first shot and usually make clean consistent laps. I didn't read any books or watch any videos but basically for GT5 a "Trial and Error" technique would be best.
 
For me i would just drive with sport hard. And driver slow threw the corners and gradually speed up my pace. So once you get used to the tires, and track, then you switch to stickier tires and you find yourself to drive faster laps
 
Most of the time I'll shift right at the moment that the RPM's redline, however I have noticed that there are at least a couple of cars which will reach top speed MUCH faster if you shift well before redlining occurs. The most obviouse example was actually in GT4 with the Plymouth Cuda.
 
It's like Petter Solberg said: "You have too be really really neat, because the minute you go sideways you loose time".

^I agree.^ Good practice with clean cut corners will eventually pay out in the long term. In time, you will know where you can push yourself further, but basically, getting clean laps in Time Trials will make you a better driver. The next time you race against AI or PvP races, you will see the difference in your overall driving ethic.

Always remember that corners leading to long straights are the most important ones. It is important that you have the best exit speed before the straights as 10seconds of pure acceleration will gain you faster times cumulatively speaking than any corner on any track.
 
Are you looking for drifting techniques? If you are trying to drift the E-brake method is probably the easiest and more reliable but in some situations the above "scandinavian flick" can be useful to get through a series of Chicanes.

You're racing for faster racing times however, I would consider any sort of sliding poor technique. Your tyres have limited grip, you should be using all of that grip to improve your speed, instead of sliding and losing all of it.

Best advice would be to do all the licenses and learn the fundamentals of racing. Simple things like the correct out-in-out line and slow-in fast-out will dramatically improve your lap times and make you a better driver, and make racing more fun.

The fundamental of racing however is pretty simple. You want to be making your tyres work as much as they possibly can as often as you possibly can. Just never try to make them work more than their grip allows them to, as that is when you lose it. A good rule of thumb is that if the tyres are squealing slightly you are working them enough, if they are smoking and squealing loudly or sliding, you've over worked them and need to reduce throttle/steer inputs.

http://www.youtube.com/user/iRacingTV#g/c/D5C6691B97E2CBFA

Those videos will help you understand how to race. The idea of having a string attached to the throttle break and steering is a very good way to think of it. If you steer, you cannot brake/throttle as much, if you throttle/brake, you cannot steer.

Well, georgiebest......i'ma a "style" kinda guy. Racing-line driving bores me....and i visualize it as precedent to the style i'm looking to achieve- semi-race drift....i would NOT call it "poor" by any means........(given that, fundamentals are still fundamental)
That said....i agree with ur "string" analogy.

[to O.P.] I just picture "grip" as the number "100"(%)....which has to be broken into 3 sectors- accel/decel/steering. if one is 10, it leaves 90 for the other 2.....if one is 45, it leaves 55 for the others and so on. so....
if ur "accel" is 75, u only have the remaining 25 for steering (and braking if you SOMEhow decide u want to brake and accel simultaneously *raised eyebrow*) If u are steering heavy and, consider braking, or accelerating out of a corner......within the constraints of the analogy, u will have to do so with whatever percentage of ur 100 number i.e. "grip", that is left over......
 
Last edited:
Well,if your brothers use a drivingline? Because your hud could replace.it,when you look at.your speed it will blink a red number for example 4,it represents what gear you should be on at around a corner so you brake until the number dissapears.If you follow that it should improve lap times and improves racing skill

Please stop speaking now.
 
Well, georgiebest......i'ma a "style" kinda guy. Racing-line driving bores me....and i visualize it as precedent to the style i'm looking to achieve- semi-race drift....i would NOT call it "poor" by any means........(given that, fundamentals are still fundamental)
That said....i agree with ur "string" analogy.

[to O.P.] I just picture "grip" as the number "100"(%)....which has to be broken into 3 sectors- accel/decel/steering. if one is 10, it leaves 90 for the other 2.....if one is 45, it leaves 55 for the others and so on. so....
if ur "accel" is 75, u only have the remaining 25 for steering (and braking if you SOMEhow decide u want to brake and accel simultaneously *raised eyebrow*) If u are steering heavy and, consider braking, or accelerating out of a corner......within the constraints of the analogy, u will have to do so with whatever percentage of ur 100 number i.e. "grip", that is left over......

It all depends on what your driving because different platform cars handle differently (ex. FF, 4WD, FR, MR, RR). Most of the time the general rule is slow in and fast out as described by a earlier individual, but doesn't apply to all platforms.

If you have to constantly counter steer it means your not fully utilizing the cars potential with suspension set ups and/or killing tire wear (not to mention that less gas must be applied to regain traction). Plus, the risk of crashing is higher so you must be on full alert at all times.
 
practice practice practice is the best technique... aside from learning how to tune the car for a specific track.
 
This might sound dumb, but I recently started driving with no aids except ABS and I find it hard to keep control of a lot of cars, especially when entering and leaving a corner, I usually always spin out.. I've been using ASM a lot and I can control every car with just that and abs on, but since no aids apparently makes you faster and most lobbies online only allow abs, I figured it was time to start learning, any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
 
Why do you tell me to stop speaking,it really helps,BTW: I just have traction control at 2,its not to much but it makes a difference and abs at 1
 
The only two aids which make you faster is having ABS 1 and SRF. SRF is really cheap though, don't use it because no one online will let you use it.

It is easy to drive with all assists of (bar abs1). You just have to get into the habit of modulation. Put the accelerator on the R2 button and the Brake on L2 button, that lets you modulate them as much as possible.

Again, if you are turning the steering wheel with full lock, you cannot use the brake/throttle. If you are fulling on the brake/throttle, you cannot use the steering. That is a general rule that will improve your lap times greatly. Of course there are some high speed turns where you will take them with the throttle full on, but generally, you will abide by those rules.
 
This might sound dumb, but I recently started driving with no aids except ABS and I find it hard to keep control of a lot of cars, especially when entering and leaving a corner, I usually always spin out.. I've been using ASM a lot and I can control every car with just that and abs on, but since no aids apparently makes you faster and most lobbies online only allow abs, I figured it was time to start learning, any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Learn not to full throttle out of a corner, and don't brake hard going in. High powered cars will generally spin the tires if you leave a corner in 2nd gear. if you drive with your trans set to manual you can downshift to 3rd gear entering a corner and when you leave you will have better traction.
 
Change the acceleration and braking configuration to R2 and L2. It'll be easier to slowly adjust them without having your vehicle spin out.

Another thing trick is to lightly brake before a turn and adjust your steering every so slightly. This way you're slowing down your car and getting ready to take the corner without being aggressive. Great technique which I always use.
 
So I recently have gotten my two younger brothers into Gt pretty heavily, and one of them was asking about any advanced techniques or "tricks" of you will. He asked this after I showed him how depending on the situation when dealing with understeer, you can shift down to swing the back end around out of the understeer with a minimal loss of speed. I have done this since I started racing with a standard transmission years ago. My question is in 2 parts, 1) is that considered poor technique, and 2) what other little nuances like that are there to help to make yourself a better driver? I can hold my own, and like to think i am even pretty fast around a circuit, but i am always looking for ways to improve my abilities.

Let the discussions commence. :)

www.drivingfast.net

Should answer most of your questions there.
 
Back