Driving with a wheel

• Thread starter adihodgson
  • 51 comments

Skip to 1:30 and again to 3:50. This is how I expect the wheel to react when I oversteer, and thats exactly what happens with a wheel using 900 degrees of rotation in FM4. That will not happen with a wheel using 270 degrees of rotation, therefore, for me, it's not worth it. Whether it seems hard or not, is up to the person playing.

In real life, we aren't using that much steering to control our cars, so in game, the second we have to, we automatically think, hey this is not like real life because I don't normally use that much steering to control the car. But in real life, we aren't throwing our cars around corners like we do in game, so mentally and physically we aren't prepared for it. A friend of mine just bought his GT2 wheel, and kept asking me if I use 900 degrees, because for him, he just couldn't handle it since he was so used to using 270 with his old MS wheel. I was the same, but after a while, I began to learn and understand how to work it, and now that I have, 900 is the only way I play.

👍 This is so true. I set my wheel up so that it behaves like that when oversteering.

Oh and about the in-game FFB, it just depends. If I want to drift or mess around, I usually do around 85% in-game. For racing and going fast 100%. It's pretty much a toss up between more feedback (and thus being able to go faster) or more real feeling wheel weight (and thus more realistic)

I drive always in sim mode, for me it's not being the quickest, it's about experiencing physics in it's full potential.

This.

I don't normally multiplay, but I did with someone I knew a while back. I set the game up with all assists forced off, forced cockpit view, and forced simulation steering, as I recall.

Using a Microsoft Steering wheel and pedal set-up, I have the game set to 'normal' steering because the MS wheel isn't exactly superb and I am struggling with it.
Considering upgrading to Fanatec though. Need to justify that kinda outlay. I'm 50/50.

Using a Microsoft Steering wheel and pedal set-up, I have the game set to 'normal' steering because the MS wheel isn't exactly superb and I am struggling with it.
Considering upgrading to Fanatec though. Need to justify that kinda outlay. I'm 50/50.

It's worth it dude I am ordering a CSRE this Friday I already have a g25 g27 DFGT and a CSR I had an other Fanatec wheel but I gave it to my brother. Fanatec wheels are simply amazing in my opinion, my only gripe is I wish they had bigger rims.

It's worth it dude I am ordering a CSRE this Friday I already have a g25 g27 DFGT and a CSR I had an other Fanatec wheel but I gave it to my brother. Fanatec wheels are simply amazing in my opinion, my only gripe is I wish they had bigger rims.
If you think Fanatec wheels are amazing........you are going into a whole new world of enjoyment regarding wheel performance. :) It is simply beautiful to drive with. I have owned a M$, Fanatec Carrera and Fanatec GT2, and then the Elite.......a total different level.

The Elite is sooooo damn precise and smooth, it amazes me everytime I use it. :cheers:

If you think Fanatec wheels are amazing........you are going into a whole new world of enjoyment regarding wheel performance. :) It is simply beautiful to drive with. I have owned a M$, Fanatec Carrera and Fanatec GT2, and then the Elite.......a total different level.

The Elite is sooooo damn precise and smooth, it amazes me everytime I use it. :cheers:

Ahhhh dude you got me so pumped!! Thanks. 👍

This +100. Precision of the Elite is so great.👍

You guys are making me jealous...I really want an Elite, but I've purchased a DFGT and Fanatec GT2 in the last year and a half. I really can't justify the purchase of an Elite right now. :(

You guys are making me jealous...I really want an Elite, but I've purchased a DFGT and Fanatec GT2 in the last year and a half. I really can't justify the purchase of an Elite right now. :(

Sell them, and buy Elite, I can not say enough how big difference is from GT2 or Turbo S to Elite. It's worth every $ or €. I sold my Turbo S and G25 in order to buy Elite. I think this one is a keeper, for a long time.

One to rule them all :-) (x360 and ps3)

Seeing as I have GT5 and FM4, I could buy a Fanatec and justify the price because I can use it for both games...

I am the same, I have not had my GT2 for a year yet so I really can't justify buying an elite just yet. I know its a great wheel, but there is nothing wrong with my GT2.

Not going for the CSRE though, over €500 for the wheel alone, then I'll still need the pedals, gear shifter (I want an H-shifter) and stand (Rennsport). Would be the best part of €1000 with not much change.

The Porsche GT2 looks good with all the accessories for €510 (or £409).

Not going for the CSRE though, over €500 for the wheel alone, then I'll still need the pedals, gear shifter (I want an H-shifter) and stand (Rennsport). Would be the best part of €1000 with not much change.

The Porsche GT2 looks good with all the accessories for €510 (or £409).

The GT2 is an amazing wheel, you won't be disappointed.

Dzidza has a good idea. You can sell them on one of the forums. I sold my Carrera and a M$ wheel on InsideRacing Buy/Sell. I have another M$ on that forum now.

They go for fair market value. Yea, you are going to lose some $, but you will gain an Elite! ;) I'm telling you.....you will never look back.

Dzidza has a good idea. You can sell them on one of the forums. I sold my Carrera and a M$ wheel on InsideRacing Buy/Sell. I have another M$ on that forum now.

They go for fair market value. Yea, you are going to lose some $, but you will gain an Elite! ;) I'm telling you.....you will never look back.

He is telling you guys no lie.... These Fanatec technlogy is second to none

I'm not going to buy a CSRE (I'm just not prepared to spend nearly €1000 for a game controller no matter how good it is), so is this a good set-up?

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_e...d=116&osCsid=9937d3bca3fcdbb4433d06fdd858929f

The CSRE's little brother I guess. That would be streets ahead of my current MS wheel and pedals, wouldn't it? The whole lot for €359.95

Add the RennSport stand at €119.95 = €479.90 (converted to £384.21 currently).

I need reassured it's a great set-up so I can justify the outlay.

I have a CSR with the regular CSR pedals w/ the inversion kit. It's a good kit. You'll be happy with it. I'm not sure about the Rennsport Stand, though... I had the Wheel Stand Pro and swiftly returned it after I found out that rSeat was setting up their US distribution center in my area.

However, I'm sure a Rennsport Stand and an IKEA Poang Chair will do, too.

I also have the normal CSR and love it 👍 One question I have though is I want to get some better pedals than my standard ones I have now. I only race on XBOX and PS3. I'd like to know if ClubSport pedals are worth the extra money over CSR Elite's if I only use them on console?

I'm not going to buy a CSRE (I'm just not prepared to spend nearly €1000 for a game controller no matter how good it is), so is this a good set-up?

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_e...d=116&osCsid=9937d3bca3fcdbb4433d06fdd858929f

The CSRE's little brother I guess. That would be streets ahead of my current MS wheel and pedals, wouldn't it? The whole lot for €359.95

Add the RennSport stand at €119.95 = €479.90 (converted to £384.21 currently).

I need reassured it's a great set-up so I can justify the outlay.
Yes, this is a great buy. The CSR wheel alone was $250 when it came out. I have heard lots of good things about the Elite pedals as well. Not so much about the CSR "Standards."
Remember, you also get the same two year warranty as the Elite! You will be happy. 👍 Coming from a M$ wheel, it will take a week or so to get everything dialed in. There is a total different feel to Fanatec wheels and it took me a while to get used to my GT2, coming from my M$.

I actually had my doubts at first, as I really liked my M$. Plug and play...easy. There is no shame in a M$ wheel in my opinion.

Bottom line....go for it!

I also have the normal CSR and love it 👍 One question I have though is I want to get some better pedals than my standard ones I have now. I only race on XBOX and PS3. I'd like to know if ClubSport pedals are worth the extra money over CSR Elite's if I only use them on console?
If the extra $100 won't hurt too much, then yes. I am a HUGE fan of CSP's. I mean HUGE! They to me are worth the extra $100 just in looks. They scream quality! They are a piece of art. They are 100% metal, at least my Version 1 are.

If you want to invert the pedals then go with the Elite. I think you may "feel" like you have made a bigger upgrade with the CSPs. The Elites are better with the load cell, and the CSPs are just the top, in looks and performance. Also sometimes the extra weight(CSP) can be better, depending on your setup.

Since my original post, I guess I have "manned up" as looking back now it seems that I was letting the wheel control me instead of the other way around. By that I mean when the rear end stepped out I found myself pretty much giving in to the wheel instead of fighting it back & therefore since I have adapted my new driving technique I'm having loads of fun & enjoyment. Favourite car atm for me has to be the Porsche GT3 RS with all aids turned off.

Back