Drop The Motorsport? - Forza 6 and onwards?

United Kingdom
Glasgow
Flaw3dGenius23
Is it time to drop the term "Motorsport" from Forza titles? Every year we seem to be getting less "motorsport" and getting more **** cars that no one really cars about or races against others. It seems they are looking at GT games and saying to themselves...i want to be like them...Purely because they sell so much!

Now if Turn 10 want to turn Forza into GT then surely dropping the Motorsport term from the game is only fair as every year it gets more and more like a driving game...You know "driving simulator" ring any bells?

Race cars (You know Motorsport) seems to be an afterthought these days. If you go online it's not Motorsport it's bumper cars...Turn 10 have no idea how to please race fans all they want is the megabucks from the NFS crew and even then the NFS crew dont want them.

Last edited:
Personally I think they should just drop the "Motorsport" because "Forza 6" rolls off the tongue much better

If Forza was worth to mainly be Forza Horizon, and kept the physics, autovista, livery editor, clubs and other stuff motorsport has. It will certainly kill NFS and any other arcade racer (and possibly beat sim racers), as well Test Drive Unlimited if they taken their idea. 👍

Best free roam racer in history! :D

But yeah, I agree with you though. They really should drop "motorsport" if it's treated like a afterthought.

Nobody that I know even bothers to call it "Forza Motorsport". Just "Forza".

Every one knows it as Forza, Hardcore racing heads want it to be "motorsport" as implied in the title. Turn 10 seem lost right now...They want to copy Gran Turismo with their 1000's of cars but alot of Forza fans think that is pointless.

We want racing not driving miss daisy.

Turn 10 imo have a huge dilemma going forward...Reading forums it seems most people are sick to death of their DLC policy (Season pass, Monthly Pass or buying Single cars) They have started losing fans but im not sure they even know this as their success over the years is clearly clouding judgement....I dont actually think they have a proper vision for the game anymore they seem to want the GT crowd but at the same time wanting the NFS guys while forgetting about us Forza people which is such a shame for a great title.

Last edited:
It's a title, nothing more. Motorsport is the competition of motorized vehicles, & the only way to "progress" through the game is through competing against other cars in races, hence the appropriate name.

The "**** cars that no one really cars about" or "copy Gran Turismo with their 1000's of cars" is baseless. Last I checked, over half of 4's content got dropped, so I fail to see where they're trying to copy GT; they would have just ported everything & had 2 tiers of modeled vehicles. And which cars are these "****" ones? Again, the content that did make it over appear to be 85% of the world's most desired/hyped cars.

What a stupid argument because of 1 word in the name.

It's a title, nothing more. Motorsport is the competition of motorized vehicles, & the only way to "progress" through the game is through competing against other cars in races, hence the appropriate name.

The "**** cars that no one really cars about" or "copy Gran Turismo with their 1000's of cars" is baseless. Last I checked, over half of 4's content got dropped, so I fail to see where they're trying to copy GT; they would have just ported everything & had 2 tiers of modeled vehicles. And which cars are these "****" ones? Again, the content that did make it over appear to be 85% of the world's most desired/hyped cars.

What a stupid argument because of 1 word in the name.

The DLC they are bringing so far is rehashed Forza cars...They dropped half of 4's content due to time restraints and are trying to sell us the other half through DLC. Not sure how you say it's baseless when copying GT? Both games seem to churn out to many cars rather than focussing on the "motorsport" action (one does not claim to be a motorsport game right enough but rather a driving game)

You may say it's a stupid argument but it's certainly a feeling amongst racers that we are now picking up on if you read various forums.

Fact is it does not feel like a motorsport game (every now and then it does but certainly not enough to include Motorsport in the title)...I have not played PCars yet but that looks "Motorsport"

Last edited:
The DLC they are bringing so far is rehashed Forza cars...They dropped half of 4's content due to time restraints and are trying to sell us the other half through DLC.
Your argument is that the game doesn't focus on racing anymore. What does this DLC have to do with that argument besides bringing in more cars (regardless if they are rehashed or not) to race with?
Not sure how you say it's baseless when copying GT? Both games seem to churn out to many cars rather than focussing on the "motorsport" action (one does not claim to be a motorsport game right enough but rather a driving game
Again, how does the DLC go against motorsport? It's providing more cars to race with. What should they release to focus on the "motorsport" action? Add night/weather? They already explained why they didn't. Add more tracks? They appear to be working on that.
You may say it's a stupid argument but it's certainly a feeling amongst racers that we are now picking up on if you read various forums.
It's not a widely shared feeling because the points you're arguing are not true. If they're trying to copy GT through adding "1000's of cars" & "**** cars", they're certainly doing a terrible job at showing it with the content being cut instead of ported or continuing to release widely desired sports/super/hyper cars.

Your argument is that the game doesn't focus on racing anymore. What does this DLC have to do with that argument besides bringing in more cars (regardless if they are rehashed or not) to race with?

Again, how does the DLC go against motorsport? It's providing more cars to race with. What should they release to focus on the "motorsport" action? Add night/weather? They already explained why they didn't. Add more tracks? They appear to be working on that.

It's not a widely shared feeling because the points you're arguing are not true. If they're trying to copy GT through adding "1000's of cars" & "**** cars", they're certainly doing a terrible job at showing it with the content being cut instead of ported or continuing to release widely desired sports/super/hyper cars.

GT put in pointless cars no one or very little use, T10 are doing the same.

How about adding some proper "Moptorsport" cars? You know the racing type of vechiles rather than the cars your granny and your mom drives.

The philosophy they've stated for the selections they make is that they need "three cars" -- your first car, the car you currently drive, and the car you dream of driving one day. That's obviously going to involve more roadcars than racecars, but Forza was already a roadcar-focused Gran Turismo clone in the last four iterations before this game so I'm not sure what you were expecting. Anyway, a car like the Scion tC may seem "pointless" to you but it won't be pointless to a player who drives one in real life. A car like the Rabbit GTI may seem "pointless" to you but it won't be pointless to a guy who drove one when he was a teenager in the 1980s.

What's "pointless" is griping about cars that "don't belong" in the game. Gather enough people to whine about cars they'd rather not drive and you'd eventually cover every car in the game. The whole "Euro vs JDM vs Detroit" thing is enough to carry that out on its own.

I do believe Turn 10 is squatting on a basic formula and falling short of expanding upon the "Motorsport" part of its name, but if anyone got the impression that FM is a hardcore motorsports simulator, they simply didn't do their research. Adding more purpose-built racecars won't make it more of a motorsports simulator (the game already allows you to build anything into a stripped-out and cage-fitted racecar). It needs other things, like longer races and more detailed race options. And similar to what McLaren said, if your complaint is a lack of sporting vehicles and an excess number of "**** cars," now is a strange time to stomp your foot down, considering FM5 cut out most of the "****" and introduced open-wheel racecars.

GT put in pointless cars no one or very little use, T10 are doing the same.
Ignoring the fact that that is only your opinion, which cars are these again?
How about adding some proper "Moptorsport" cars? You know the racing type of vechiles rather than the cars your granny and your mom drives.
How about looking up the term, "Motorsport".
a sport involving the racing of motor vehicles, esp. cars and motorcycles.
It is in no way defined solely by actual racing cars. If you want to be so literal about using the term in the title, then T10 should be adding airplanes & boats while they're at it, since those are considered motor vehicles by literal terms.

Seems crazy to take a launch game's feature set as an indication of the overall series direction to me. We don't even know which features have been permanently dropped for 6 because it hasn't been announced yet.

Last edited:
I think the name will stay as Forza Motorsport.

The name Forza is already taken. The Honda Forza scooter debuted in 2000, taking over the slot previously covered by the Honda Fusion.

The first gen Forza (2000-2004) were sold under the name Jazz in Europe and REFLEX in US. From the second generation onwards, the Forza name became universal across all markets.

So, let's ignore the philosophy and discussion behind Forza's game design for a moment.
Probably it's legally difficult to drop the "Motorsport" part of Forza Motorsport.

As for my opinion on whether "Motorsport" should be dropped is a no, or doesn't really matter.

If Forza Motorsport should drop "Motorsport," then the argument of "Gran Turismo should change
the name because it has F1 cars and karts" should also apply, which I think is ridiculous.

Seems like the recent trend in movies and games is to drop and number or anything that resembles a sequal, and call it the original name. Examples: Most Wanted, Riddick, Tomb Raider, Halo, Wolverine. So I would not be surprised if they changed the name. The name really makes no difference to me.

Both games seem to churn out to many cars rather than focussing on the "motorsport" action (one does not claim to be a motorsport game right enough but rather a driving game)
I don't think cars have anything to do with it. They're console racers, and in my opinion extremely cautious and conservative console racers. Forza could easily add to the racing side without cutting a single car, but T10 probably feels it isn't worth the effort. One thing that did surprise me is Forza 4's (I don't have 5) race editor hidden away in multiplayer. It's good enough to give an alternative PC sim like racing experience with AI, although not quite at the same level. And obviously, it allows for very serious online play, but in all the time I've owned FM4 I haven't found a way to use it to its potential. I think T10 is partially to blame for that, nothing in the game encourages serious racing.

Forza just does not want to be a full on race simulation game. I think it's unfortunate, but all we can do is keep asking or show support for games that fill that niche. Still, it's not about the cars, and "Motorsport" fits the game no matter how you want to look at it.

Seems like the recent trend in movies and games is to drop and number or anything that resembles a sequal, and call it the original name. Examples: Most Wanted, Riddick, Tomb Raider, Halo, Wolverine. So I would not be surprised if they changed the name. The name really makes no difference to me.
It's not a trend in video games. Most Wanted was still Need For Speed at the end of the day & dropped numeral sequels back in 2004 anyhow once the games started trying to be "different". Tomb Raider has been in 3 different eras & the last one was developed as a series reboot. And Halo has never dropped their numeral sequels. Halo 1-4 are still considered the main story arc of Master Chief whilst everything else (Reach/Wars/ODST/Spartan) are spin-offs.

The only reason it appears as a trend in movies is because studios are always remaking movies that have been numerous times in the past as reboots; similar to Tomb Raider.

It's not a trend in video games. Most Wanted was still Need For Speed at the end of the day & dropped numeral sequels back in 2004 anyhow once the games started trying to be "different". Tomb Raider has been in 3 different eras & the last one was developed as a series reboot. And Halo has never dropped their numeral sequels. Halo 1-4 are still considered the main story arc of Master Chief whilst everything else (Reach/Wars/ODST/Spartan) are spin-offs.

The only reason it appears as a trend in movies is because studios are always remaking movies that have been numerous times in the past as reboots; similar to Tomb Raider.
Halo has indeed dropped the numbers for the next Halo on the X1. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/halo-aka-halo-5.287924/ Currently it is just being called Halo. So my point is still valid. This is a recent trend over the last few years with movies and games. Doesn't mean it will continue, doesn't mean it wont continue...don't care.

Regardless it doesn't matter to me either way what they do with the Forza name. As long as they concentrate on making their game as complete as possible.

Last edited:
Is it time to drop the term "Motorsport" from Forza titles?

Negative.

Every year we seem to be getting less "motorsport"

How so?

and getting more **** cars that no one really cars about or races against others.

We seem to be getting MORE cars that we really care about.

It seems they are looking at GT games and saying to themselves...i want to be like them...Purely because they sell so much!

Luckily, they are nothing like GT games, so they must not be looking at them.

Now if Turn 10 want to turn Forza into GT then surely dropping the Motorsport term from the game is only fair as every year it gets more and more like a driving game...You know "driving simulator" ring any bells?

Actually, it's just the opposite. Forza Motorsport continues to be less of a "driving simulator" and more of a motorsport simulator. Each year, they continue to add and improve physics (most important part of the racing game). Forza 5 has introduced the best physics to date from Forza. Damage modeling physics are the best to date for a motorsport racer on console.

Race cars (You know Motorsport) seems to be an afterthought these days. If you go online it's not Motorsport it's bumper cars...Turn 10 have no idea how to please race fans all they want is the megabucks from the NFS crew and even then the NFS crew dont want them.

Motorsport =/= race cars. That should help you to get started. As for online, if you are getting in bumper car races, you are doing it wrong. Most races we get into are not bumper car races.

Every one knows it as Forza, Hardcore racing heads want it to be "motorsport" as implied in the title.

I think you are the one that is lost. Us hardcore racing fans want it to continue to improve as it has been.

Turn 10 seem lost right now...They want to copy Gran Turismo with their 1000's of cars but alot of Forza fans think that is pointless.

Luckily a lot of us Forza fans have found that Forza is nothing like GT and seems to be less and less like GT in almost every aspect.

We want racing not driving miss daisy.

Yes we do, which is why we love Forza Motorsport.

Turn 10 imo have a huge dilemma going forward

Agreed. How to make a great game even better each year. But it's a good dilemma.

Reading forums it seems most people are sick to death of their DLC policy (Season pass, Monthly Pass or buying Single cars) They have started losing fans but im not sure they even know this as their success over the years is clearly clouding judgement....I dont actually think they have a proper vision for the game anymore they seem to want the GT crowd but at the same time wanting the NFS guys while forgetting about us Forza people which is such a shame for a great title.

Not sure what forums you are reading. I follow GTPlanet, NeoGAF, InsideSimRacing, and the Official Forza Motorpsort forums, and we are not seeing your complaint.

The DLC they are bringing so far is rehashed Forza cars...They dropped half of 4's content due to time restraints and are trying to sell us the other half through DLC. Not sure how you say it's baseless when copying GT? Both games seem to churn out to many cars rather than focussing on the "motorsport" action (one does not claim to be a motorsport game right enough but rather a driving game)

Forza seems to be focused on LESS cars, more CONSISTENT cars, and has actually dropped the number of cars (which at it's highest was still only half of GT), to less than half. We are actually glad to see they focused on a subset of cars, from entry level to high end open wheeled racing cars. Giving each car equal treatment. Just the the opposite of GT, thankfully.

That isn't what we are seeing.

Clearly you have no idea what Motorsports are. You should probably polish up on the definition.

Here is a really good (great service) Motorsports dealer next to my house:

http://www.engelhart.com/

Their motorsports offerings are ATV's, Trailers, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Utility Vehicles, Rider Lawnmowers....

We are actually getting MORE of what we want, and less of what we don't want.

Sigh..Anyway moving on.

If they remove the motorsport from Forza do you think they would change the Forza logo? Since it has a huge FM?

It's not a trend in video games. Most Wanted was still Need For Speed at the end of the day & dropped numeral sequels back in 2004 anyhow once the games started trying to be "different". Tomb Raider has been in 3 different eras & the last one was developed as a series reboot.
Even without taking into account that there are more examples than what he listed (as one immediately relevant example, what was the game preceding Most Wanted? Hot Pursuit), this doesn't really refute the idea that it is a current trend.

Even without taking into account that there are more examples than what he listed (as one immediately relevant example, what was the game preceding Most Wanted? Hot Pursuit), this doesn't really refute what he said.
Exactly and thanks. Regardless its worthless trying to discuss anything with McLaren lately. Not sure why he is so bitter lately. Happens to all of us once in a while. So I will just move on....

Do you think Forza would change their logo if they dropped the "Motorsport"? Currently it is a huge FM.

Is it time to drop the term "Motorsport" from Forza titles? Every year we seem to be getting less "motorsport" and getting more **** cars that no one really cars about or races against others. It seems they are looking at GT games and saying to themselves...i want to be like them...Purely because they sell so much!

******** , in my opinion of course !!!

Halo has indeed dropped the numbers for the next Halo on the X1. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/halo-aka-halo-5.287924/ Currently it is just being called Halo. So my point is still valid. This is a recent trend over the last few years with movies and games. Doesn't mean it will continue, doesn't mean it wont continue...don't care.
Halo could be the working titel of the new halo game. Or they don't want to call it Halo 5, because MS wants to release a Halo 2 Remake first. We had a rumour about a remake, weeks ago. The Halo journey begins 2014. But which game will it be?

My english is not good. I hope it makes sense :D

Regardless it doesn't matter to me either way what they do with the Forza name. As long as they concentrate on making their game as complete as possible.
Your source is your own post in which you yourself claim it may also be called Halo 5?

Awesome. Never mind the fact 1 game doesn't suddenly equal trend, thanks for saving me time by shooting your argument in the foot.
Exactly and thanks. Regardless its worthless trying to discuss anything with McLaren lately. Not sure why he is so bitter lately. Happens to all of us once in a while. So I will just move on....

Do you think Forza would change their logo if they dropped the "Motorsport"? Currently it is a huge FM.
At least I don't rely on someone else to attempt to debate my argument (bc I'm too busy running away after 3 posts) or say it's not Halo 5 & then link to a post saying it possibly is. :lol:

If anyone is worthless debating, it's you. All you can ever do is reply about my post rather than the post itself bc your idea of posting is <idea> <type> <reply> without actually thinking.

Last edited:
Back