DS3 trigger upgrades

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bailout
  • 64 comments
  • 5,923 views
Messages
162
Messages
jacker100
I've searched! I've searched!

Does anyone use the attachable R2 L2 trigger upgrades for the DS3 when using the triggers as accelerate and brake?

I can see why they are needed because your fingers do slip off the triggers compared to the PS2 controller.

I'm going to buy a set and see if it will make it easier.
 
Ye i got them, they do a good job too. You really notice it when you try to play without them again, well worth the fiver they cost.
 
Analog stick throttle > R2/L2. Most throttle control out of any option (aside from a wheel) and once you get use to it, you'll never go back.
 
Analog stick throttle > R2/L2. Most throttle control out of any option (aside from a wheel) and once you get use to it, you'll never go back.

What he said,
 
Hmmm, I'm still using X and Square, but there is so little control its frustrating. I've R2 and L2 and it still felt like to little control. Never really used the analog stick...does it make that much of a difference? It just feels weird to me honestly
 
What if you need to use the throttle and brake at the same time to keep a car stable under braking?

This is true...you can't do "left foot braking" with the stick
 
Can anyone confirm that this triggers fit on a PS2 controller aswell or is it just DS3 they fit.

I'm just about to start playing GT4 (never played before).

There's nothing really wrong with the PS2 triggers but it would be cool to use them with both games. 👍
 
I actually use them for throttle and braking and use the right analog to shift up and down. Took me a little time to learn/get used to it but now I'm actually able to progressively shave off time of every lap I do. But will look into these upgrades. Haven't seem them yet! Would be nice to have my fingers no longer sliding off!
 
What if you need to use the throttle and brake at the same time to keep a car stable under braking?

then dont get the car unstable in the first place. ease of the gas with the stick. brake/ease up a little earlier, etc etc. consistency wins right?
 
Stick for accel/brake for sure. Much rather have the ability to have partial throttle through a corner and partial brake leading into one than on/off.
Though not being able to rev and hold the brake does mean slower standing starts when jump start penalties are on.
 
Am I the only one who uses X to accelerate and right analogue stick down to brake?
 
Am I the only one who uses X to accelerate and right analogue stick down to brake?

Now THAT is unique.

I might actually try that out for the heck of it.
 
Am I the only one who uses X to accelerate and right analogue stick down to brake?

:eek:

That is indeed an odd combo, but i guess if it works, its all good.
 
I've searched! I've searched!

Does anyone use the attachable R2 L2 trigger upgrades for the DS3 when using the triggers as accelerate and brake?

I can see why they are needed because your fingers do slip off the triggers compared to the PS2 controller.

I'm going to buy a set and see if it will make it easier.

but, to answer your question. it probably would help. I do have them but I didn't get them for use in GT5,
I got them for Black Ops / MW2.
 
Indeed how I use it is quite odd, but I guess it's how I prefer to play.

After all, we all have different preferences.
 
Indeed how I use it is quite odd, but I guess it's how I prefer to play.

After all, we all have different preferences.

true,
but you just gave me an idea. what if you could set up R1 or R2 for the e-brake and still use the stick for throttle? things that make you go 💡
 
I have the L2/R2 extenders but I use X and [] for acc and brake.

Not mine but similar.
post-32050-1218812195.jpg
 
I just got these trigger accessories at GameStop today. All I can say is WOW.., what a major difference. The extension and angle makes gameplay much more comfortable.

I'm actually liking the DS3 with trigger extensions better than my XBox controller. Before getting them.., it was the other way around.
 
I just got these trigger accessories at GameStop today. All I can say is WOW.., what a major difference. The extension and angle makes gameplay much more comfortable.

I'm actually liking the DS3 with trigger extensions better than my XBox controller. Before getting them.., it was the other way around.

What are you using to shift?
 
I use the triggers with R2 gas / L2 brake,
triangle = shift up
square = shift down
X = reverse
O = e-brake
Left Stick press = in race menu
Left Stick L/R = menu option
Left Stick U/D = change menu option value

And I just started using Right Stick L/R for L/R view
 
then dont get the car unstable in the first place. ease of the gas with the stick. brake/ease up a little earlier, etc etc. consistency wins right?

Do that and your lap times suffer.
 
Do that and your lap times suffer.

whats the difference? How does it slow your lap times?

If you use the brake and gas at the same time how is that different than easing off the accelerator or slightly stepping on the brake? you're still slowing down or not accelerating as quickly.
 
whats the difference? How does it slow your lap times?

If you use the brake and gas at the same time how is that different than easing off the accelerator or slightly stepping on the brake? you're still slowing down or not accelerating as quickly.

Because you're slowing down earlier, which will lower your time.

Go try it out.
 
Mine broke, they aren't really that good anyway imo, but of a waste of money.
 
whats the difference? How does it slow your lap times?

If you use the brake and gas at the same time how is that different than easing off the accelerator or slightly stepping on the brake? you're still slowing down or not accelerating as quickly.

I seem to remember needing to ease the gas a bit and apply the brake gently simultaneously to gold something or other, whether it was the Elise Top Gear or a license test I can't remember. It was to do with the way the weight shifts when you let the gas off completely (to the front) being compounded by braking. There will be less weight shift if you use them simultaneously.
 
I've searched! I've searched!

Does anyone use the attachable R2 L2 trigger upgrades for the DS3 when using the triggers as accelerate and brake?

I can see why they are needed because your fingers do slip off the triggers compared to the PS2 controller.

I'm going to buy a set and see if it will make it easier.

When playing any PS3 game on a regular controller, I never use my DualShock 3. I bought a better third-party controller, a DreamGear Shadow 6.

dgps3-1362.jpg


Advantages over the DS3 include:
  • Proper left stick placement - no longer must you unnaturally reach for the left stick
  • Ergonomic form - superior to the anti-ergonomic cones of the DS3
  • Concave triggers - the way triggers should be and always have been, except for DS3's convex triggers

20133_234040623152_594363152_3216002_483937_n.jpg
 
I seem to remember needing to ease the gas a bit and apply the brake gently simultaneously to gold something or other, whether it was the Elise Top Gear or a license test I can't remember. It was to do with the way the weight shifts when you let the gas off completely (to the front) being compounded by braking. There will be less weight shift if you use them simultaneously.

Top Gear Test Track Special Event - Lotus Elise.
 
There you go. This alone is reason enough to change your style (or at least accept the need for both styles). I'm PSN friends with both Freight and Krazy....wierd to be arguing between you guys but there is definately a reason for the heel 'n' toe technique Krazy, and it's all about weight shift control which is core to some drifting styles and core to some car types.
 
Back