DS4 controller=4ever DR D?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ploegie
  • 33 comments
  • 3,706 views
Messages
31
Messages
Ploegie64
i use the montion controls on the controller and I can’t seem to qualify higher then 10th. I’m constantly around 6 seconds behind P1 and followed track guides on YouTube and take lots of qualifying laps. I fear I’ll never lose my DR of D I Still manage a SR A I want to be competitive and I love a close race,but I’m sick of being in the bottom of the races. any thoughts on the matter would be helpful.
 
i use the montion controls on the controller and I can’t seem to qualify higher then 10th. I’m constantly around 6 seconds behind P1 and followed track guides on YouTube and take lots of qualifying laps. I fear I’ll never lose my DR of D I Still manage a SR A I want to be competitive and I love a close race,but I’m sick of being in the bottom of the races. any thoughts on the matter would be helpful.
Stick to tracks/car groups you Like. Ditch whatever aids you don't need (such as ASM, turn down TCS minimum of level 2). Maybe use sticks instead of Motion (unless sticks hinder your racing).
 
Practice!
I'm using a DS4 and i'm B/S soon to be A/S, so its not impossible.

I may have slightly modded my controller for better grip on the DS4 and better grip on the sticks. But cant say you automatically get several DR rating's better just by having those on.

*edit
Ditch the motion control and use the sticks! :)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 97
I held a high DR A going on DR S (or A+) using motion control. Now I'm on wheel and I am comfortably a low-mid A+, so a decent improvement but not huge. So I wouldn't say that motion control is the problem, if you don't mind me saying. Being successful has a lot of factors. You need to qualify well, which of course requires you to be a skilful driver, but also to be able to replicate your qualifying pace in the race without making mistakes, whilst being competent at wheel-to-wheel racing and understanding strategy. Personally I only spend around 15-20 minutes qualifying out of a 2-3 hour session and then concentrate on races and do a couple of laps in between each race, because the races count for a lot more.

As for having sheer pace, I would drop every assist, including all visual aids including cones, apart from traction, countersteer and ABS, and use manual gears. Only use motion control if you are really comfortable with it over the stick. Make sure that you're not extending your rotation of the controller past the car's full lock (you can check this by looking at the red dot indicator that moves side-to-side above the rev indicator as you turn). And then just practice (but as I said, doing races is more important than just qualifying).
 


Jimmy does pretty well with the sixxaxis so it is clearly doable. I'll say this, I've been playing gran turismo for a long time and am semi fast ish but the level of competition in daily Races is incredible. You really have to practice a lot and hone your skill. A great place to do that would be snail racing league. You can find them in the online racing section of this forum. They are very helpful and have different divisions so you are matched with roughly equal talent.
 
I run with all aids off expect for ABS. I lol keep at it I guess but after30 mins of practice my best time on dragon garden (today’s Gr3 race) I could manage anything faster then a 1:36.( first attemp was a 1:42)6 seconds off the lead.



Jimmy does pretty well with the sixxaxis so it is clearly doable. I'll say this, I've been playing gran turismo for a long time and am semi fast ish but the level of competition in daily Races is incredible. You really have to practice a lot and hone your skill. A great place to do that would be snail racing league. You can find them in the online racing section of this forum. They are very helpful and have different divisions so you are matched with roughly equal talent.

Thanks for the tip I’ll look up that league. Good video too!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Is the use of motion control a preference, or a necessity? If it's the former, try switching to the sticks, as you may find it easier to be more precise. If it's the latter, just keep at it; they're quite good with GT Sport. 👍

I've been able to scrape into A/S with a pad (I swap between wheel and DS4 based on my personal level of laziness), so it's certainly possible.
 
I also use a DS4 the with the Gimbel for steering and R2 L2 for gas and brake with No assist but ABS. I'm DR B SR A but I don't play Sport Mode much anymore (I like lobby racing much better) I have no doubt I could be a low DR A but B is where I feel I belong.

Anyway there are many of players on here who are a very high DR and even a few top 10 players who use a DS4 so don't get discourage because with practice you can be every bit as fast as someone who is very high DR with a wheel.
 
Practice!
I'm using a DS4 and i'm B/S soon to be A/S, so its not impossible.

I may have slightly modded my controller for better grip on the DS4 and better grip on the sticks. But cant say you automatically get several DR rating's better just by having those on.

*edit
Ditch the motion control and use the sticks! :)
I’ll see if I run better with the sticks or motion control

Is the use of motion control a preference, or a necessity? If it's the former, try switching to the sticks, as you may find it easier to be more precise. If it's the latter, just keep at it; they're quite good with GT Sport. 👍

I've been able to scrape into A/S with a pad (I swap between wheel and DS4 based on my personal level of laziness), so it's certainly possible.
I found the motion controls to be more wheel like. Don’t have money for a wheel so I thought it’s the next best thing. I’ll switch back and see

I also use a DS4 the with the Gimbel for steering and R2 L2 for gas and brake with No assist but ABS. I'm DR B SR A but I don't play Sport Mode much anymore (I like lobby racing much better) I have no doubt I could be a low DR A but B is where I feel I belong.

Anyway there are many of players on here who are a very high DR and even a few top 10 players who use a DS4 so don't get discourage because with practice you can be every bit as fast as someone who is very high DR with a wheel.
What do mean by I also use a DS4 the with the Gimbel for steering?

I’ll keep practicing
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What do mean by I also use a DS4 the with the Gimbel for steering?

I’ll keep practicing

DS4 (Duel Shock 4) is the controller. I call the sticks or the R3 L3 gimbels. Some people use the directional pad and other use the motion control.
 
DS4 (Duel Shock 4) is the controller. I call the sticks or the R3 L3 gimbels. Some people use the directional pad and other use the motion control.
Gotcha thanks!
 
The question I would like to ask is whether you're being matched up with AS and BS drivers during the daily races. This can happen if your SR is high.
 
The question I would like to ask is whether you're being matched up with AS and BS drivers during the daily races. This can happen if your SR is high.
80% of the field is SR a/b
 
i use the montion controls on the controller and I can’t seem to qualify higher then 10th. I’m constantly around 6 seconds behind P1 and followed track guides on YouTube and take lots of qualifying laps. I fear I’ll never lose my DR of D I Still manage a SR A I want to be competitive and I love a close race,but I’m sick of being in the bottom of the races. any thoughts on the matter would be helpful.

I and a few others use DS4 (sticks) with no assists except ABS and we're A+/S so it's certainly doable.

Never tried motion myself, might give it a try.
 
2nd and 4th currently in EMEA FIA Nations are on controller ;) (both of us use the sticks)

I feel the Motion Controls are a worst of both worlds. Whole point of a wheel is the benefits of force feedback and throttle control, which you don't get. Controller advantage is lock-lock ability, which you don't get either :lol:. I reckon the ultimate pace potential of motion controls is over a second behind wheel/controller on an average lap.

For throttle/brake it's personal preference whether you use R2/L2 or the stick. I find R2/L2 buttons on DS4 annoying enough just for changing gear so I'd hate to imagine dealing with the throttle is like with them.
 
2nd and 4th currently in EMEA FIA Nations are on controller ;) (both of us use the sticks)

I feel the Motion Controls are a worst of both worlds. Whole point of a wheel is the benefits of force feedback and throttle control, which you don't get. Controller advantage is lock-lock ability, which you don't get either :lol:. I reckon the ultimate pace potential of motion controls is over a second behind wheel/controller on an average lap.

For throttle/brake it's personal preference whether you use R2/L2 or the stick. I find R2/L2 buttons on DS4 annoying enough just for changing gear so I'd hate to imagine dealing with the throttle is like with them.
I was just gonna mention you here when I saw this thread :D
 
Motion control? Really? Mad respect if you can keep the car on track with it. I tried it a few times now, but it just feels so imprecise, so I switched back the the sticks.

I also drive the oldshool way, with X and square, as I'm used to it so much. And I'm in the average A ranks and around 1.5 - 2secs of the Top times with no assists (TCS on 2 and ABS on standard).

So basically, try what suits you best and dont rely on CSA and other assists. Maybe use the cones too if you miss your break points too much.
 
2nd and 4th currently in EMEA FIA Nations are on controller ;) (both of us use the sticks)

I feel the Motion Controls are a worst of both worlds. Whole point of a wheel is the benefits of force feedback and throttle control, which you don't get. Controller advantage is lock-lock ability, which you don't get either :lol:. I reckon the ultimate pace potential of motion controls is over a second behind wheel/controller on an average lap.

For throttle/brake it's personal preference whether you use R2/L2 or the stick. I find R2/L2 buttons on DS4 annoying enough just for changing gear so I'd hate to imagine dealing with the throttle is like with them.
I don't think motion control is a bad option at all though. Maybe you are right, maybe you can't be the best with it, but you can move the controller very quickly from lock-to-lock, more so than the wheel. And the triggers are not bad at all by my experience. So for the average player, and even for some quicker players, motion control is a good option.
 
I have tried both motion control and normal analaogue stick controls and feel I do better times with the analouge sticks.

Currently I am DR/C and SR/S (later may drop to DR/D though :banghead:).

My tips for getting into the higher levels are practice your tracks with cars you like and know you can do quick times with and your times
will improve, remember that to go fast you must go slow sometimes so don't try going for quick laps.

The advice I was given is to watch your lap times when you qualify and when you get to within a second of your laps consisently then go
for your hot lap and rememeber that the top 10 is only a guideline, for us lower levels you may not need to post an insanely quick
lap.

What I always do is look at people's time the level above you and see what the avergae is (today's example is Race C) so the avergae Rank
C time is about 0:47.7 so try to equal that time and you will almost certainly be near the top of the grid then just watch your six and keep
focussed on your own race and if other's ahead make mistakes you can pick up the pieces and improve your DR.
 
One of the top players in the Americas Region, Windfire uses motion steering on the DS4... one of my buddies also used to use it before he got his wheel and this last update killed his pedals because he had a weird setup and he brought the old DS4 back out and snagged a top 10 time on a daily with it. I use a DS4 but I use the sticks... the motion steering feels a bit delayed for me and makes me wonder if my controller if effed up or if it’s just not for me. Experiment with diff controls and find out what you are best with. There are probably close to 25 A+ Drivers using the DS4 in the Americas (myself included) and 100’s of A’s so it’s definitely doable.

What I would recommend you do, is run through all the Circuit Experience in the Campaign and push for the fastest times you believe you can achieve! Test the different steering options, excluding the D pad... and run maybe 5 clean laps with each and see what you do best with. Not only will this help you find which method you’re best with but the repetition on each track will engrave the track knowledge in you’re brain. I still to this day go back into the Circuit Experience and see if I’ve gotten faster... doing so has put me in the Global Top10 on 3 different tracks! It’s my number 1 tool for improving and tracking progression.

Good luck!
 
I had been one of those top DS4 users until last night when one bad race, to which none of it was my fault, got my SR/DR reset to B/C
 
I was at B/S using the DS4 and driving automatic with lots of aids before I got a wheel.
 
Motion control? Really? Mad respect if you can keep the car on track with it. I tried it a few times now, but it just feels so imprecise, so I switched back the the sticks.

I also drive the oldshool way, with X and square, as I'm used to it so much. And I'm in the average A ranks and around 1.5 - 2secs of the Top times with no assists (TCS on 2 and ABS on standard).

So basically, try what suits you best and dont rely on CSA and other assists. Maybe use the cones too if you miss your break points too much.
Thanks. My lap times seem to be pretty close between the 2 maybe 1 or 2 seconds quicker on the stick
 
One of the top players in the Americas Region, Windfire uses motion steering on the DS4... one of my buddies also used to use it before he got his wheel and this last update killed his pedals because he had a weird setup and he brought the old DS4 back out and snagged a top 10 time on a daily with it. I use a DS4 but I use the sticks... the motion steering feels a bit delayed for me and makes me wonder if my controller if effed up or if it’s just not for me. Experiment with diff controls and find out what you are best with. There are probably close to 25 A+ Drivers using the DS4 in the Americas (myself included) and 100’s of A’s so it’s definitely doable.

What I would recommend you do, is run through all the Circuit Experience in the Campaign and push for the fastest times you believe you can achieve! Test the different steering options, excluding the D pad... and run maybe 5 clean laps with each and see what you do best with. Not only will this help you find which method you’re best with but the repetition on each track will engrave the track knowledge in you’re brain. I still to this day go back into the Circuit Experience and see if I’ve gotten faster... doing so has put me in the Global Top10 on 3 different tracks! It’s my number 1 tool for improving and tracking progression.

Good luck!
Thanks I’ll do that!
 
I have tried both motion control and normal analaogue stick controls and feel I do better times with the analouge sticks.

Currently I am DR/C and SR/S (later may drop to DR/D though :banghead:).

My tips for getting into the higher levels are practice your tracks with cars you like and know you can do quick times with and your times
will improve, remember that to go fast you must go slow sometimes so don't try going for quick laps.

The advice I was given is to watch your lap times when you qualify and when you get to within a second of your laps consisently then go
for your hot lap and rememeber that the top 10 is only a guideline, for us lower levels you may not need to post an insanely quick
lap.

What I always do is look at people's time the level above you and see what the avergae is (today's example is Race C) so the avergae Rank
C time is about 0:47.7 so try to equal that time and you will almost certainly be near the top of the grid then just watch your six and keep
focussed on your own race and if other's ahead make mistakes you can pick up the pieces and improve your DR.
Nice I’ll look @ that. I Thought u could only see the top ten times
 
I also drive the oldshool way, with X and square, as I'm used to it so much. And I'm in the average A ranks and around 1.5 - 2secs of the Top times with no assists (TCS on 2 and ABS on standard).

Didn't know you can be that fast using the x and square buttons. I might try testing that out to see how much faster I can get, since I'm about 3-4 secs behind the top times.
 
It is very possible to be very speedy on a ds4. I won the manufacturers preseason with it.
 
Didn't know you can be that fast using the x and square buttons. I might try testing that out to see how much faster I can get, since I'm about 3-4 secs behind the top times.

I'm just really used to it since GT1 :O
You cant really regulate the throttle tho, but with TCS2 I can still run pretty fast times. I simply like to be quick on the brakes and gas all the time. Stick or L2/R2 feels too slow IMO
 
I want to be competitive and I love a close race,but I’m sick of being in the bottom of the races.
Dont forget that sometimes the best fights are around 6th - 12th position !
 
Back