DS4 great settings and why some aids need to be onPS4 

• Thread starter Taz69
  • 7 comments
United States
NC
Tazzz16
Ok well after a few weeks of playing and coming over from GT6 here are a few things I have found out. First if you are like me and played GT6 with the gas and brake on the buttons then the PS4 and this game will let you down. the DS4 buttons are NOT touch sensitive. Its all or nothing and once you figure that out than setting up the game and controller becomes easier. Instead of trying to re-learn the throttle and brake on different buttons if you set the DS4 and some cars up like I have you can still drive good with the DS4 but it needs some help. First since you are using the buttons as throttle and brake set the DS4 settings like this.

Mode 3 (do this first)
Speed sensitivity (65)
Control Filtering (35)
Force Feed (40)
Yes
Advanced (ON)
Soft steering (ON)
OFF
OFF

This is only if you use the buttons for gas and brake. If not where there are 0s you will have to figure out but the rest I have up will work for you.
Ok now for the cars. (You will have to have ABS and TCS on. No way around it without touch sensitive buttons) You dont need Stability Control on. First the LSD settings are way to agressive for a DS4. Always start with 20/100/0. Thats right dont knock it till you try it. Since your brake is all on or off brake pressure needs to be around 85% and the TCS needs to be all the way down to 1%. Camber should be -1.0 on the front and -.8 on the rear. Tire heat will be real close to even across the tire with a lot less camber than what the game has on the cars. Front toe 0.0 and rear toe +1.9 I play with taking rear toe out or less rear down force if I want to loosen up the rear. Engine brake mapping needs to be at max. Steering ratio in the car setting should be in the 10.?.? This plus the DS4 setting and everything else will give you a car that is good to play with the DS4. If you started the game as Intermediate it will give you good spring and damper settings. On the GT3 cars I have moved the bump stops to 10 or 15mm so I can hit curbs and what not and the car not launch. You still play with tire pressure and brake duct opening and all that. But if you are using a DS4 and are use to using the buttons as gas and brake give this a try on a GT3 car like the M3 GT3 and see if you like it. Tap the gas and tap the brake like on the old PS2 for fine throttle and brake and you should start to like the game. On a side not I can see why online a lot of rooms use TCS and ABS. If there are guys in there with DS4 controllers and dont want to re-learn 5 years worth of using the controller they have to have these 2 aids on cause its all or nothing no fine control over the gas and brake. I will be getting a T150 wheel soon but until then hope this helps guys with DS4s cause after figuring this out the game has been a blast. You can also turn Speed sensitive steering down to 60 or 55 for more steering but this is a good baseline stuff to do for a DS4.

Last edited:
Thanks @Taz69 I just got Pcars set up on a new laptop and will try this out! I wish there was a way to use a DS3. I've been using the X and square buttons for 15 years now and like you, don't want to "un-learn" it. 👍

Switch to L2 & R2, trust me you will wonder how you ever even used buttons, the difference and immersion is night & day.

I've been trying that off and on for quite awhile, with much frustration. I have trouble brakeing and steering with the same hand. Maybe I'll try R1 for the brake.

I spent the last two evenings trying to get an enjoyable experience out of driving with the DS4 and here are my notes...

Deadzone: if your controller is new, leaving deadzone at 0 is fine, however you can bump to 5 or 10 just to make sure you aren't dragging the brake or gas by accident.

Sensitivity: You already have very little travel to work with. The only reason I see to increase this would be if for some reason you can't get 100% throttle out of your paddles (L2/R2).

Speed Sensitivity:
Lower = more allowed steering input based on speed.
Higher = less max steering allowed at high speed.
Too low = car snaps into corners if you push the joystick full lock at high speeds and it initiates a drift. Your next reaction will be to whip the joy stick back and this usually causes an uncontrollable spinout.
To high = car simply won't negotiate turns. You're at full lock, there is no tire squeal, and the car handles like a bus

Control Filtering:
Lower = faster reaction time
Higher = delayed averaging of your inputs
Too low = steering inputs snap the wheel left and right too quickly and the car loses control. Not usually an issue if you have a higher speed sensitivity setting. Snap oversteer when punching the throttle in high performance cars
Too high = sluggish steering response, impossible to correct oversteer. Delayed throttle and brake response.

0 (sensitivity)
5 (deadzone)
0 (sensitivity)
5 (deadzone)
0 (sensitivity)
5 (deadzone)
0 (sensitivity)
5 (deadzone)
Speed sensitivity
(karts) 25 (sports cars) 50 (race cars) 65
Control Filtering
(karts) 25 (sports cars) 30 (race cars) 35
Force Feed 100
Yes
Advanced (ON)
Soft steering (ON)
OFF
OFF

With these settings, and only a few hours seat time I can generally keep pace with 45% A.I. drivers finishing in the top 3 depending on whether I make any mistakes. With the karts or races where the competition is more equal I can up the A.I. skill more because I usually finish several seconds ahead. However, I did just order a Logitech G29 so I can't say the game is super fun with the controller. It's frustrating to know how much better the game is when you have finer control of the inputs.

Sensitivity: You already have very little travel to work with. The only reason I see to increase this would be if for some reason you can't get 100% throttle out of your paddles (L2/R2).
The steering/throttle/brake sensitivity settings actually determine analog linearity, which you can see via the throttle and brake indicators in the telemetry HUD.

A setting of 50 is perfectly linear. For steering, 0 is less sensitive near the center and more sensitive at the extremes, while 100 is more sensitive near the center and less sensitive at the extremes. For throttle and brake, 0 is less sensitive for small inputs and more sensitive near full throttle/braking, while 100 is more sensitive for small inputs and less sensitive near full throttle/braking. So I would actually advise against setting it all to 0. I use 25 for steering, and 45 for throttle/braking.

For your G29, you'll probably want those to be set to 50.

Your explanation sheds more light on my perception, but it doesn't change my desired values for the controller. I'd rather have that fine control when I initiate steering, gas or brake. With 50 or 100, the car turns too quickly when you simply try to correct your steering on a straight. It might not matter as much for gas or brake, but I'd still rather have that finer control when I first pull the paddle, once I'm fully committed to hard braking or hard throttle, I don't really care how quickly it builds to that point.

Now with the G29, you are probably right and I should start with 50. The brake may require a lower setting though since the pedal travel resistance is not linear and therefore braking should be light on initial touch and heavier as you push deeper into the travel.

Back