DS4 setup for MT

• Thread starter Zenjungian
  • 20 comments
England
England
im interested to know what control assignments people use for manual gearshift on the DS4 controller. I’ve gone as far as assigning the triangle to upshift but I’m wondering about using R2 and L2 like paddles. Just wondering what other people use.

Also - how do I set up motion control for steering and dies this work well with MT?

im interested to know what control assignments people use for manual gearshift on the DS4 controller. I’ve gone as far as assigning the triangle to upshift but I’m wondering about using R2 and L2 like paddles. Just wondering what other people use.

Also - how do I set up motion control for steering and dies this work well with MT?

I use X to upshift and square to downshift with throttle and brake on triggers. Steering via the left stick.

I don't use motion control so can't help you with that sorry.

Call me old school but I am still using x and square for accel & brake, l2 r2 for manual shifting and d pad for steering. Tried motion steering once but old habits die hard.

What I find annoying (and perhaps I haven't found where to change it) is I use L2 for brake and R2 for gas. But R1 is to change camera view. My index finger is constantly on the accelerator and having to change camera view on odd occasions forces me to switch fingers! Third World problems I know...

What about L3 for steering, R3 for accelerate/brake. And L1 for downshift, R1 upshift.

I've been using that configuration since GT4 till now and I managed to be quiet fast. Now I'm adapting to the new physics of Gt Sport that seem to be a bit tricky with the road cars/sport hard tyres.

Last edited:
Left stick for steering, right stick for throttle/breaking and triggers for shifting. Works a treat, though you eliminate the ability to look around, if you ever use that.

I always was X/Square for and left stick steering in old GTs. Only recently started using manual in GTS and while I prefer it, I had switched my layout prior. Using R2/L2 for accel and brake. When I started trying M/T I tried X upshift Square downshift but it felt unnatural in my mind. Square is above (so up) from where I place my thumb and X is below (down), so I swapped them and been using that layout since.

I also tried with L1/R1 for shifting but couldn't get used to holding the control in a way that situated my index fingers comfortably. I'm also one who uses R1 as rear view constantly throughout the race so it involved too much moving around of what I was used to. Also couldn't get comfortable using motion steering so just keeping with the left stick till I get a wheel.

Left stick for steering, right stick for throttle/breaking and triggers for shifting. Works a treat, though you eliminate the ability to look around, if you ever use that.
I use rear view - but that could be assigned to triangle button or something.

What I find annoying (and perhaps I haven't found where to change it) is I use L2 for brake and R2 for gas. But R1 is to change camera view. My index finger is constantly on the accelerator and having to change camera view on odd occasions forces me to switch fingers! Third World problems I know...

In the rare event that I need/want to switch views I reach with my right thumb. Its awkward as hell but its not doing anything else lol. ive been contemplating using R3 for shifting. Back in the day when x was go and square was stop I would always manual shift b/c L2 and R2 felt natural. Ever since the switch in stop and go buttons I've been using automatic b/c it doesnt feel right. Maybe R3 can bring me back into the light

I use rear view - but that could be assigned to triangle button or something.

Rear view is still mapped to L1 in that configuration. I use the triggers (L2 and R2) for shifting. You may prefer the buttons since they're more tactile, but I like being able to just click lightly for gear changes.

Using L2/R2 for brakes/gas gives you the most modulation and control. Definitely an advantage over using buttons because you cant consistently give detailed input on throttle range with shallow buttons. I personally use triangle for upshift because its the closest to your thumb when your index fingers are glued to the triggers. Then I use square for downshift. Left stick for steering as usual. Used to be stubbornly old school from gt1-6 and refused to use the triggers for gas/brake; just too accustomed to X/square that I couldnt switch yet at the time. Muscle memory is difficult to change but the ds4’s L2/R2 is an obvious upgrade because it has more range than previous controllers and that was hard for me to ignore. The long layoff for gt and surprisingly ALOT of gametime on gta online helped me make the switch and x/square simply cant match the triggers in any aspect once your muscle memory is reset.

Using L2/R2 for brakes/gas gives you the most modulation and control. Definitely an advantage over using buttons because you cant consistently give detailed input on throttle range with shallow buttons. I personally use triangle for upshift because its the closest to your thumb when your index fingers are glued to the triggers. Then I use square for downshift. Left stick for steering as usual. Used to be stubbornly old school from gt1-6 and refused to use the triggers for gas/brake; just too accustomed to X/square that I couldnt switch yet at the time. Muscle memory is difficult to change but the ds4’s L2/R2 is an obvious upgrade because it has more range than previous controllers and that was hard for me to ignore. The long layoff for gt and surprisingly ALOT of gametime on gta online helped me make the switch and x/square simply cant match the triggers in any aspect once your muscle memory is reset.

I agree re triangle for upshift. Far easier to reach. I’m also comfortable with R2 L2 for accelerator/ brake. At the moment I can’t find where to specify motion control for steering. I just see options for vibration on/off and various wheels.

Motion control can be selected in controller setup menu. You will have a choice of d pad, stick or motion.
I just seem to have options for vibration function, wireless controller, and various Thrustmater and Logitech wheels.

Last edited:
L2 for brake R2 for gas. L1 for upshift R1 for downshift or use right stick. Left stick or dpad for checking view. Motion sensor for steering input.

R2 - gas
R1 - shift up
L2 - brake
L1 - shift down

I like how intuitive this buttom mapping is. The right shoulder buttons make you go faster, and the left shoulder buttons make you go slower.

Back