DS4 to Wheel

But wheel players have an advantage over controller users.

Yes and no. You take a DS4 player and stick them on a wheel, they will not be able to get the car around a lap in anywhere near the same time without a lot of practice. So the control pad does have its own advantages; but they're heavily tied to driver aids.

Gran Turismo does a really good job of letting pad players be at least competitive against wheel users.

Yep, and this is tied to my point above ^ I don't think most pad users understand just how much the game is doing for them in the background, even if they turn all of the available assists off.

Of course we would struggle, its a massive difference, but after a while these players changing to wheel would be faster than when they were playing with a pad.

The way you talk about pad users makes it feel like there's no effort on being fast on it. Believe me, it's not a piece of cake like you think it is.

Gran Turismo always did a great job of being fair with both kinds of control. Trying to undervalue pad players is wrong imo.

Of course we would struggle, its a massive difference, but after a while these players changing to wheel would be faster than when they were playing with a pad.

The way you talk about pad users makes it feel like there's no effort on being fast on it. Believe me, it's not a piece of cake like you think it is.

Gran Turismo always did a great job of being fair with both kinds of control. Trying to undervalue pad players is wrong imo.

Oh trust me, I know being fast with a pad isn't a piece of cake. No one's "undervaluing pad players", I'm just trying to make the argument that it cuts both ways, and it isn't necessarily true that sticking a pad player on a wheel will make them faster.

Stick a pad player who knows how to drive on a wheel, and I will agree with you, they'd likely be faster with practice; but it's definitely not true to say that all pad players would be faster on a wheel, just as it isn't true to say that all pad players are good racing drivers - you see my point?

Hello, first, thanks everyone for your answers !

I'm not hoping to get a wheel for making better times (you're right, with no FFB wheel experience, first time i tested the T300 in my shop, my driving was absolute disaster, shame other people was looking :D ). Of course I like being competitive and struggle to keep/ gain a position in sport mode, but the results doesn't matter that much.

My biggest motivation is immersion / feeling (I also have a PSVR and despite the poor VR possibilities in GTS, I quite like it and imagine it would be better fun with a wheel).

I live in a tiny flat with my GF, so space / clean flat is really the biggest concern :) here is a pic of my current installation (my father is testing the VR :) ) :
04Ai8YL.jpg

I guess I would have to remove the wheel and store it after each playing session. I even considered the T300 (because I could detach the rim, making it more compact to store in one of the TV stand drawers).

I still don't know about the wheel fixation, I could fix the wheel on my TV stand, right in front of the TV : it's probably sitting way too much close of the screen (not a big deal with PSVR of course but not good for playing TV :D), and the position for the pedals would be wrong, like this (I stealed this image from another topic :D ) :
img_1157-png.714889

If i get any kind of stand, it will make a lot more stuff to store :/ Maybe I could reuse my piano stand installation (I'll put some pics tomorow)

Well, I'm still asking myself lots of questions, maybe in my situation there is too much constraints with a wheel, another point is I would still have to play sometimes with the DS4 (no way I use the FFB wheel at night at 1pm hahaha, it would be more a "lot-of-free-time-sunday" thing). Maybe switching between regulary wheel and DS4 is not a very good idea too, you might loose your marks with each controllers :/

I spy a P Bass hanging on the wall. Well done that man. Is it a Fender?

Hehe no, just a "******" 50$ Warriors, but it makes the job really well, better to me than some Squiers. I also have a sunburst Mex Fender Jbass though :) Considering your country, you might like my other wall :D

rEW1v5S.png

Hehe no, just a "******" 50$ Warriors, but it makes the job really well, better to me than some Squiers. I also have a sunburst Mex Fender Jbass though :) Considering your country, you might like my other wall :D

rEW1v5S.png

Far out. :lol: Wasn't expecting that. Take it you had a pleasant holiday up here then?

Back to the store during my lunch break, testing the T300 for second time, it was far better this time. During my first test, clutch & gas pedal was inverted (green mode ?), and FFB strenght was on 5, way too much for me (it tear my arms off on the first spin haha :D )

So today I tried with FFB strenght to 1 - 2, it was far far nicer to drive. Made 2 time trial laps with AE86, i was like "mhh it's quite good". Then an arcade race with Corvette Gr3, and wow wow wow... Struggling with the FFB when exiting the last Dragon Trail corner, to pass some oponents, is really a great feeling, I felt the physical intensity of the race (and it was only vs IA !)

Honestly, I think I'm sold for getting a wheel, it's probably just a matter of time now, and finding the best solution... Moreover, I'll have some other games to play with VR, including Dirt Rally...

It's not about undervaluing DS4 players, and I no one said it doesn't take effort to be fast on a DS4. Don't be so sensitive.

Average skill wheel user vs average skill DS4 player. DS4 wins. There are too many unseen aids on a DS4 user for there not to be. It's not an insult, it's the way the game was designed. PD needed the game to cater to a controller user, and they did that.

Sometimes it's all in your mind. At least that's the way I felt after transitioning. I at first got overwhelmed by the difference in feeling, but after about 2 hours, I was hitting the same lap times as I would with a DS4.

I've used a G29 and owned a T150 for a year, the difference in noise is quite considerable.

At no point does a T150 have the cracking noise the G29 has when gears slip under high torque.

There's a loud 'zipping' noise every time a rapid weight shift occurs though. Am I the only one?

It's not about undervaluing DS4 players, and I no one said it doesn't take effort to be fast on a DS4. Don't be so sensitive.

Average skill wheel user vs average skill DS4 player. DS4 wins. There are too many unseen aids on a DS4 user for there not to be. It's not an insult, it's the way the game was designed. PD needed the game to cater to a controller user, and they did that.
Just read the post from @2clicks. In 2 hours he was already putting in laptimes from his pad pace.

There's not too many unseen aids on a DS4 user. If there was, we would have a lot of ds4 users on the top, we dont.

I'd say, on the top 10 laptimes leaderboards, at best, 20-25% use DS4, and on top 3, it's rare to see a pad user there, when the majority of the players are on the records.

Just read the post from @2clicks. In 2 hours he was already putting in laptimes from his pad pace.

There's not too many unseen aids on a DS4 user. If there was, we would have a lot of ds4 users on the top, we dont.

I'd say, on the top 10 laptimes leaderboards, at best, 20-25% use DS4, and on top 3, it's rare to see a pad user there, when the majority of the players are on the records.

I agree with this, when I got my wheel it took me about half an hour or so and I was on it. Actually I found I could do similar lap times no matter what control method I used.

When it comes down to it, it's just about personal preference. Neither method is necessary best.

And further to this, until PD publish data to indicate otherwise, I don't believe that there are driver aids for DS4 users that give any advantage over wheel users. It's just speculation, there are no facts.

Last edited:
I live in a tiny flat with my GF, so space / clean flat is really the biggest concern

I guess I would have to remove the wheel and store it after each playing session.

Have you considered the playseat challenge, folds up with everything attached.

Have you considered the playseat challenge, folds up with everything attached.

Yes thanks, it's a nice system, a bit expensive but I like it. I can try without first, and get it some weeks after having the wheel, if I can't find any proper installation :)

Hi all, I'm currently playing with DS4 and consider getting a wheel (probably a T150 after reading lots of review). I still have some concerns, like the space needed to have what seems to be a minimal / correct driving setup.

Is this really needed to have a full seat /stand to have a "decent" driving position ? I tried a T300 at my local videogames dealer, it was on a seat with this kind of position :

playseat-project-cars-6.jpg

I felt the seat was very low, nice for formula1 but maybe not appropriate for driving GT in gran turismo sport ? Is it possible to have good driving sensations without being in such a low/laid position ? For example, driving with a normal chair, wheel fixed on a desk ? Or "worst", sitting on some kind of stool without backrest ?

I have very little space in my flat, and look for the less space consuming solution (and I may have to unmount and stow it away after each use)
This seems to me legs stretched way too much, also with little support so not confy enough

To me, DS4 users will have one small advantage over the wheel/pedal users . DS4 users have better reaction time than wheel/pedal users, especially
when it comes to brake/throttle input, because the reaction time eye - foot is longer than reaction time eye - hand.
Down side is the DS4 users don't have the range of motion of the wheel. But this is where extenders come in handy (thumb stick and trigger extenders).
Already have thumb stick extenders (surprisingly useful), have to get the trigger extenders and give them a go. The wheel was an option for me, but it would take to much space.

Performance is a thing, I guess lots of people here have different opinions on what is the best controller to perform, it's quite subjective. But the wheel is so much more immersive, it's really my 1st motivation :)

About DS4 triggers, I drive without any aid, including no ABS at all : the L2 / R2 buttons of the DS4 are really well built, the trigger run is quite long and allow to handle the braking pressure with a good accuracy (I find it's better than the PS3 controller, but maybe it's in my head)

For sticks, I didn't knew that some extenders would exist :) it's funny

Anyway, space being a problem for me too, I'm happy that the DS4 work already so well with the game

I play with DS4 steering tilt sense, and buttons L2 R2 for brake and acceleration, ABS default, CSA weak, TCS usually 2
At times when the battle is hot I tend to swing the DS4 rather than properly rotate it :)
A wheel would be nice...

To me, DS4 users will have one small advantage over the wheel/pedal users . DS4 users have better reaction time than wheel/pedal users, especially
when it comes to brake/throttle input, because the reaction time eye - foot is longer than reaction time eye - hand.
Down side is the DS4 users don't have the range of motion of the wheel. But this is where extenders come in handy (thumb stick and trigger extenders).
Already have thumb stick extenders (surprisingly useful), have to get the trigger extenders and give them a go. The wheel was an option for me, but it would take to much space.

Yes. I completely agree with this view. When I tried a wheel and pedals this is exactly what's I experienced. Steering more precise, throttle and brake less so. Due to this and space consideration issues I gladly went back to controller.

If anyone has a guide on how to set up an Accuforce Direct drive wheel with GIMX to work with GT Sport (PS4) emulating a G29 I would be eternally gratefull.
I have the small USB Tinsy Board.
Surely someone knows how to do this.

Yes. I completely agree with this view. When I tried a wheel and pedals this is exactly what's I experienced. Steering more precise, throttle and brake less so. Due to this and space consideration issues I gladly went back to controller.
Pedals are slower than throttle and brake on a controller, but I would not agree that they are less precise, quite the opposite.

The L2 and R2 buttons work quite well for proportional brake/acc, they are indeed give very analogut feel, but come on they can't even come close to a regular pedal with much longer travel

Pedals are slower than throttle and brake on a controller, but I would not agree that they are less precise, quite the opposite.

Actually upon reflection your right, wrong choice of word. Of course not more precise just quicker to get onto and reach full travel.

And further to this, until PD publish data to indicate otherwise, I don't believe that there are driver aids for DS4 users that give any advantage over wheel users. It's just speculation, there are no facts.

You can believe what you like, but it's demonstrably the case and has been since at least GT5 (when the tyre heat/wear models first began to become more advanced).

The person who said above that when you apply maximum steering input on a control pad it applies the maximum load the tyre can handle, rather than simply just maximum steering lock, is spot on.

They've done a very good job in GTS of striking a good balance between wheel & pad, but don't think there isn't anything helping in the background.
It's just common sense that there would be; a control pad is far from optimal for the precise inputs required to drive quickly without assistance from aids.

Last edited:
Im a little late here but I just recently got a Fanatec wheel with pressure feedback brakes. It makes the game much more realistic and fun. It took me about 2 weeks to become faster and better on the wheel. Brake and throttle may be be slightly slower but much, much more accurate. Much easier to do things like riding brakes on entry to transfer weight to front of car without losing much speed or just riding brakes a limit speed while on gas. That seems a little difficult to actually control gas/brake/steering in minute amounts with DS4 compared to wheel. The wheel is also a huge advantage to altering driving lines, no more zig zagging when a car comes too close, you come move over just slightly without overshoot. I made my own "cockpit" because I am a fabricator and I was very specific bout certain things like a center post and steering wheel mount flex.
20180303_102526 (2).jpg
20180303_102541.jpg

Fast one, thanks for sharing the pictures to go along with your explanation. This looks fantastic. I'm still on the DS4 but I wish I had something like this.

How sturdy is it, like, when you turn that wheel?

Back