Dualshock 3 drift question

• Thread starter Highcloudz
  • 25 comments
United States
United States
H1ghAzCloudz
I'm kinda new to the gran turismo drifting so does anyone have a good controller setup for drifting? Like what's a good steering sensitivity, ect. Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

Just tune the car till you can drift with it sweet, something that I could find good you might not like. Try tuning a car for the GT Arena as its a good small track to practise and start off on. You can get around the GT Arena in 2nd.

my button setup is as follows:
  • R2 accellerate
  • L2 Brake
  • L1 Nitrous
  • Square Shift Up
  • X Shift Down
  • O E-brake
  • Sensitivity -2

I dont remember what the other buttons are for off the top of my head. This setup for the DS3 is rather comfortable IMO

•R2 - gas
•L2 - brake
•R1 - reverse
•L1 - Nitros
•Triangle - look back
•X - hand brake
•Circle - shift up
•Square - shift down
•Right analog stick - look left and right
•R3 - horn
•L3 - high beams
•D-pad down - wipers
•D-pad up - ghost

I used to use X as gas back in the day, but switched to this setup when I started drifting in GT5 (minus nitros of course).

Edit: controller sensitivity: -2

i been driftin with ds3 for a while started in gt5 ctrls are

l2 brake
r2 gas
right stick up == down shift
right stick down == up shift
sterring left stick // felt obvious but oh well
e brake == x
nos ==o
im not the best but i have some low score runs on my yt channel same name as here n ps3

R2-accelerate
L2-brake
Right stick up- shift up
Right stick down- shift down
O- ebrake
Once you get use to this setup its really fluid and feels natural
Me too, I've tried just about every setup and this is probably the most realistic feeling and most comfortable controller setups.

Me too, I've tried just about every setup and this is probably the most realistic feeling and most comfortable controller setups.

The setup you quoted is quite good (very similar to my own), but there are two limiting factors to it, IMHO.

• using the right stick to shift means you can't use it to look around. This isn't really an issue if you use third person, but it can be really helpful if you use bumper or bonnet cam.

• using the right stick to shift and one of the right thumb buttons as the e-brake means you can't downshift and e-brake at the same time. I find this useful when doing long e-brake entries at places like turn 1 of Deep Forest.

The setup you quoted is quite good (very similar to my own), but there are two limiting factors to it, IMHO.

• using the right stick to shift means you can't use it to look around. This isn't really an issue if you use third person, but it can be really helpful if you use bumper or bonnet cam.

• using the right stick to shift and one of the right thumb buttons as the e-brake means you can't downshift and e-brake at the same time. I find this useful when doing long e-brake entries at places like turn 1 of Deep Forest.

I use the in-car view and I dont find any use for looking around with the right stick it just seems to distract me drifting or racing. As far as the e-brake into corner its not holding me back. I shift down really quick and hold the e-brake after, already in gear for the upcoming corner. Everybody has their own preferences though and if it works for them then use it.

Right stick - Gas/Brake
Left stick - steering
R1 - handbrake
L2 - reverse

Keep it simple, drive how you're used to. I personally prefer driving auto transmission, i'm aware it is better to drive manual but I prefer the simplicity.

Clearly I'm unlike most others, but then again my last racing game experience before GT6 was Pole Position in the 80s.

Gas/Brake = Right Stick
Aux Brake = L2 (for use simultaneously with gas)
Shift Up = R2
Shift Down = R1
Handbrake = L1
Reverse = Triangle
Steering = Left Stick
Nitrous = R3 (I rarely use it and only use it at full throttle)

Last edited:
My setup is mostly stock...

Gas/Brake = Right Stick
Steering = Left Stick
Shift Up = R2
Shift Down = L2
E Brake = R1

I still haven't even tried the nitrous as 100 large seems like an awful lot to spend on something so finite.

just use standard keys and drift any car that suits you , get a stock m3 e92 chromeline and put CH under it . very easy and forgiving.

I use standard layout but use buttons for throttle and break instead of right stick. My thumbs are double jointed so I can do heel-and-toe on the buttons and roll my thumb onto O for the wand. Worked for every car so far.

I use standard layout but use buttons for throttle and break instead of right stick. My thumbs are double jointed so I can do heel-and-toe on the buttons and roll my thumb onto O for the wand. Worked for every car so far.

tumblr_m9vtc8Eq8q1rwhmdho1_250.gif

Apart from the throttle and brake buttons sugestions - personally i use X for throttle and Square for braking, placing mid thumb on the X and Tip on the Square thus emulating Heel-toe, but R2 L2 is possibly better - the most important thing imo is using the analog. The analog, although harder to master, provides a bit of extra sensibility that the normal cursor keys don't. I use left analog obviously, for left-right.
Sensitivity should be lowest as possible imo, for less twitching. (although i have these smal fairy fingers and hands and twitch much more then I would like to :/ ) *sarcasm*
Manual, ofc is essencial. Can't drift on automatic. (although I've seen a lot of people trying - and failing miserably - on the last one).

Last edited:
Am i the only one here that prefers X on the gas? (Default setup) It just feels so good to shift with r2 and l2.

•R2 - gas
•L2 - brake
•R1 - reverse
•L1 - Nitros
•Triangle - look back
•X - hand brake
•Circle - shift up
•Square - shift down
•Right analog stick - look left and right
•R3 - horn
•L3 - high beams
•D-pad down - wipers
•D-pad up - ghost

I used to use X as gas back in the day, but switched to this setup when I started drifting in GT5 (minus nitros of course).

Edit: controller sensitivity: -2
almost my setup exactly lol... x is my nos... right stick down is my e brake. lol

By the way, the d-pad and buttons have 3 levels of sensibility.
So who uses X/[] for accel and brake, or d-pad for turning, don´t push all in necessarily.

Standard controls here, d-pad user, sensivity 4, but i use R1/L1 for gears instead L2/R2. R2 goes for E-brakes instead.

Anyways sometimes i use the analog for turning if im on the mood, having almost the same performance... i just use the d-pads cose im an oldfag from the time when PSX controls hadn´t analogs, or even before.

Back