• Thread starter glassjaw
  • 28 comments

glassjaw

Premium
United States
PA
pioneerspine
pioneerspine
Unfortunately being in the states I won't have the game for another few days, but when I do I will be playing with a DualShock 4. The consensus so far seems to be that the default settings for steering on the pad are too twitchy, so it'd be great if people could share their settings here.

Unfortunately being in the states I won't have the game for another few days, but when I do I will be playing with a DualShock 4. The consensus so far seems to be that the default settings for steering on the pad are too twitchy, so it'd be great if people could share their settings here.
I just started with a pad as my T300 died this morning and I'm pleasantly surprised with it. I've put it on mode 2 and toned the steering sensitivity down to 5. Default was a bit too twitchy indeed.

From a post I made in the first impressions thread:

... Anyway, Project Cars plays surprisingly well with the PS4 controller after adjusting the settings. The defaults are way too twitchy for my taste, but as others have pointed out the magic settings are steering sensitivity (keep it low or at 0, I was puzzled by a post I've seen suggesting a 65 setting - incredibly twitchy) and control filtering sensitivity (seems to smooth out the input with medium to high settings).

For now I've settled on these settings, which give me satisfyingly smooth and controlled input. Turning almost as smoothly as with a wheel as long as you have a gentle touch, and even the in-game visual wheel represents this (unless you activate one of the advanced control options related to that, which does something funky and annoying).

Steering deadzone = 10
steering sensitivty = 0
Throttle deadzone = 10
Throttle sensitivity = 20
Brake deadzone = 10
Brake sensitivity = 20
Speed sensitivity = 65
Control filtering sensitivity = 50
Force feedback = 100
Advanced settings off

... Anyway, Project Cars plays surprisingly well with the PS4 controller after adjusting the settings. The defaults are way too twitchy for my taste, but as others have pointed out the magic settings are steering sensitivity (keep it low or at 0, I was puzzled by a post I've seen suggesting a 65 setting - incredibly twitchy) and control filtering sensitivity (seems to smooth out the input with medium to high settings).

For now I've settled on these settings, which give me satisfyingly smooth and controlled input. Turning almost as smoothly as with a wheel as long as you have a gentle touch, and even the in-game visual wheel represents this (unless you activate one of the advanced control options related to that, which does something funky and annoying).

Steering deadzone = 10
steering sensitivty = 0
Throttle deadzone = 10
Brake deadzone = 10
Brake sensitivity = 20
Speed sensitivity = 65
Force feedback = 100
Advanced settings off

Are you using mode 2 as well?

As far as I've been able to tell the modes are simply presets? I think I made the adjustments to mode 3.

Oh ok. I did your settings with Mode 2. Either way it's night and day difference between this and default. Thanks a lot for posting these tweaks. U just saved the game for me lol

More info here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21992-Setting-up-a-gamepad

Apparently the modes are more than just presets. I guess I'll try to see if I can feel a difference between them with the same settings.
It also sounds like it might be worth giving the soft steering dampening setting under Advanced a try.

In either case I'm inclined to say that with most of the cars I've tried so far (the Radical SR8 earlier was a bit of a handful) - and with the settings dialed in - Project Cars has some of the smoothest controller input I've ever tried in a racing game.

I'll be testing with my cheap and unsatisfying Thrustmaster T100 wheel tonight, but I suspect that until I may decide to buy a better wheel again some day I will be inclined to use the DS4. Even the plentiful use of rumble feedback is very immersive.

Steering deadzone = 10
steering sensitivty = 0
Throttle deadzone = 10
Brake deadzone = 10
Brake sensitivity = 20
Speed sensitivity = 65
Force feedback = 100
Advanced settings off

Thanks. These settings working great for DS4 and Formula A. I also made the adjustments to mode 3.

Hey guys! Just registered to say thanks for the info in this post. It was very helpful with setting up the DS4 for PCars. Also I am using Miths' setup now, well close to it anyway.

There is one other setting there that I had a read up on and it seems to help even more with making the cars less twitchy at high speed. Its the Controller filtering sensitivity setting. I set that to 50 and it smooths out the steering even more. I'm thinking it might help others with controllers to so give it a try.

Will these settings work just as well on a DS3 instead of a DS4?

It seems to me like the most impacting settings relating to eliminating twitchy handling should be the same for all gamepads, although the exact settings are a matter of preference of course.

I'm currently doing the Cluo Tt at Brands Indy. When I steer approx 50% of the stick's throw, it seems like that is full lock on the car. Which is causing a lot of swerving. Steering in general is not smooth, it's a lot of darting left or right. It's also extremely difficult to hold a line in a long sweeping turn. Late braking and trail braking leads to a lot of spin-outs. What setting controls the trim in the stick?

I have a fairly new DS4, my own that the kids are not allowed to use.

How can I raise the bumper can, so it's more like a windshield cam? I think FOV only widens and narrows.

Someone on the pCARS forums described using a "pad" or a "controller" like using digital steering. That is a great way to describe it!

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...g-up-a-gamepad&p=885695&viewfull=1#post885695

Last edited:

Steering deadzone = 10
steering sensitivty = 0
Throttle deadzone = 10
Brake deadzone = 10
Brake sensitivity = 20
Speed sensitivity = 65
Force feedback = 100
Advanced settings off

This ^^^^ works much better for me now on most races without a lot of tweaking 👍

How can I raise the bumper can, so it's more like a windshield cam? I think FOV only widens and narrows.

There is a view without the wheel just the top of the dash without driver- Go in to settings and where it says Driver (not wheel) on/off turn off..the view then will just be the dash - I think that is the nearest view you will get but this will still be in cockpit and ideal for wheels but also works fine for a controller view :)

I'm currently doing the Cluo Tt at Brands Indy. When I steer approx 50% of the stick's throw, it seems like that is full lock on the car. Which is causing a lot of swerving. Steering in general is not smooth, it's a lot of darting left or right. It's also extremely difficult to hold a line in a long sweeping turn. Late braking and trail braking leads to a lot of spin-outs. What setting controls the trim in the stick?

I have a fairly new DS4, my own that the kids are not allowed to use.

Someone on the pCARS forums described using a "pad" or a "controller" like using digital steering. That is a great way to describe it!

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...g-up-a-gamepad&p=885695&viewfull=1#post885695

I really feel it's just a matter of gentle and steady stick control and the right (ie. low) sensitivity settings. Have you tried stopping the car, swiveling around the external camera and then turning the wheels? I don't get full lock until the stick is just about pushed all the way left or right, and they seem to turn progressively and smoothly along with stick movement. Definitely not a digital feel at all.
Though it's obviously always going to require a much more gentle touch to steer smoothly when you have to rely on small thumb movements instead of 270-900 degrees rotation of a steering wheel.

I really feel it's just a matter of gentle and steady stick control and the right (ie. low) sensitivity settings. Have you tried stopping the car, swiveling around the external camera and then turning the wheels? I don't get full lock until the stick is just about pushed all the way left or right, and they seem to turn progressively and smoothly along with stick movement. Definitely not a digital feel at all.
Though it's obviously always going to require a much more gentle touch to steer smoothly when you have to rely on small thumb movements instead of 270-900 degrees rotation of a steering wheel.

The problem with doing this test while sitting still, is that speed sensitivity and other speed related settings don't come into play, right?

In the "unplayable" thread, I tied the first settings list offered (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/pcars-unplayable-on-a-dualshock.328286/#post-10683919) with Tier 8 Karts. Which went from uncontrollable twitching to very slow and unresponsive. I've now restarted my career in Clio Cup, which are less twitchy by nature. Losing the rear end in counter steering is an issue. So is small inputs, like barely pushing the stick, causing the car to jerk over half a lane.

Controller "mode" needs to be at the very top. Youncsn tske the time to change all of the settings and then lose them all by changing from 1 to 2!

How can the settings be reset to default to start over from scratch?

If I remember correctly it will be reset to defaults if you change controller mode (and then back to the one you one you wanted to use).

I also have problems with counter steering and struggling to catch a lost rear - the Clios you mentioned, I've only tried them on one track so far, seem particularly prone to catastrophic snap oversteer with their default setup - but I otherwise don't feel that smooth control is a problem in most of the cars (I don't have much time spent in any of the open wheelers yet, not typically my favourite type of racing. And I've also only had a few minutes in the small karts and hated them with every fiber of my being. I will probably give them another try some day).
Very often I can simply hold the stick steadily at the correct angle and make a smooth turn, whereas in some other racing games (admittedly mostly back when I was less used to a gamepad) I felt like turning was often a process of making a bunch of quick, small adjustments.

I have driving aids set to real and obviously stability control etc. turned off.

If I remember correctly it will be reset to defaults if you change controller mode (and then back to the one you one you wanted to use).

I also have problems with counter steering and struggling to catch a lost rear - the Clios you mentioned, I've only tried them on one track so far, seem particularly prone to catastrophic snap oversteer with their default setup - but I otherwise don't feel that smooth control is a problem in most of the cars (I don't have much time spent in any of the open wheelers yet, not typically my favourite type of racing. And I've also only had a few minutes in the small karts and hated them with every fiber of my being. I will probably give them another try some day).
Very often I can simply hold the stick steadily at the correct angle and make a smooth turn, whereas in some other racing games (admittedly mostly back when I was less used to a gamepad) I felt like turning was often a process of making a bunch of quick, small adjustments.

I have driving aids set to real and obviously stability control etc. turned off.

I came from a background of RC Cars, then wheel controllers became affordable. I've been a stick user since GT1 and the DS1. Then I discovered the Ultra Racer controller, PD stopped supporting it with GT3. I LOVED that controller! I know people who use the buttons to steer, like you said, it's a constant tap tap tap. I don't stab at the stick, I try to steer only as much as needed. In cockpit view, the driver's hands are only going from 9 or 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock at full throw of the stick AND at 50% steering throw. His hands don't go from say 3 to 9 where they would cross over.

I was actually using wheels for sim racers (mostly on PC) - first a Driving Force, then a Driving Force Pro and then from 2006 a sturdy and long lived G25 - until I moved to another country two years ago and sold most of my old stuff before I left.
I bought a Thrustmaster T100 some weeks ago - for Driveclub and Project Cars - but I have just overall not been satisfied with it, so the last several days I haven't even bothered setting it up but just use the DS4. And while I would pick a good wheel over a controller any day, Project Cars with a DS4 really still is a blast in my opinion.

And regarding a statement in my previous post, I just tried the 250 cc karts (had previously only tried the 125 cc on the windy career track and hated it) and that thing was stupidly fast around Bathurst. And really well behaved with a controller. I had no idea karts could be so quick that they can run circles around much more expensive and technically complex cars.

Here is my quick pad settings trying help you guys having issues.
Steering Deadzone-20
Steering Sensitivity-0
Throttle Deadzone-5
Throttle Sensitivity-0
Brake Deazone-5
Brake Senitivity-0
Clutch Deadzone-50
Clutch Sensitivity-100

Speed Sensitivity-25
Controller Filtering Sensitivity-0

Advanced-off

Turning off the ingame wheel helps massively with setting up controller.
I didn't realise it was hindering me so much.
I was inadvertently concentrating on the movement of the wheel instead of the road in front.

Felt/looked strange for the first minute but then your vision calibrates itself (for want of a better word) to where it should be, the track.

Have a perfect setup now

Would it matter if I turned "advanced settings" on..It just opens up a couple things beneath it right? Has anybody messed with this much?

Just used these settings after using both the default and another where the settings were basically the opposite of these ones. These settings have improved my experience of this game immeasurably – I was about to go back to playing Driveclub at one point tonight!

This in mode three feels sweet.
image.jpg

I am trying to change my button assignments as I prefer to shift gears with circle and square but I can't save my changes as it tells me that I have not finished but I do not wish to change any of the other button assignments...Any Tips?

I am trying to change my button assignments as I prefer to shift gears with circle and square but I can't save my changes as it tells me that I have not finished but I do not wish to change any of the other button assignments...Any Tips?
Did you reassign the commands that were on those buttons? The game requires certain things to be mapped to some button.

Back