pCARS unplayable on a Dualshock??PS4 

Slovakia
Slovakia
dawko-san
Hi, I bought this game yesterday and I spent like 3 hours trying to set up the setting for a controller, was looking on the internet for a setup but it still just feels awkward.

Either you set it so you can't countersteer at all, or you set it so the car is totally uncontrollable in high speed corners, especially when need to do some corrections to steering.

I mean, why can I play GT6 at the edge, doing lap times so good that I can keep up even with top wheel users but here it just isn't possible?

So does anyone figured out some good settings for the controller or for car? I can feel that pCARS is a really good game but right now I just can't play it at all. :guilty:

Last edited:
Have the same feeling here.
And since my G25 dosent work on PS4 which is a big dissapointment to say the least.
Now waiting for a New steering Wheel.

After just fiddeling about for a few hours when the game came out.. I quickly saw that I need a steering Wheel to really enjoy this game. Shame on Logitech..

Are you honestly surprised that you can't get a hypercar or a vintage Lotus on period rubber (and that is modeled) on the edge with the same ease as a Clio race car on modern race rubber?

I don't have any major issues with either the Lotus or Lykan below the limit (as you would expect) but on the limit both are going to be very tricky, the Lotus because of the lack of downforce and mechanical grip and progression from the period rubber, the Lykan may be if you have switched off all driver aids (I have this set to Real - so you get what the real thing has).

Are you honestly surprised that you can't get a hypercar or a vintage Lotus on period rubber (and that is modeled) on the edge with the same ease as a Clio race car on modern race rubber?

I don't have any major issues with either the Lotus or Lykan below the limit (as you would expect) but on the limit both are going to be very tricky, the Lotus because of the lack of downforce and mechanical grip and progression from the period rubber, the Lykan may be if you have switched off all driver aids (I have this set to Real - so you get what the real thing has).

It's not about skill here... I can control any car in GT6 on the edge, but in pCARS when high-speed cornering, a car will just go crazy when countersteering

Edit: I drive only without aids.

Atm it depends on the car for me...i can do laps on the 'edge' in the clio,but i cant control some at all,like the Lykan and the old Lotus open wheel. Its a bit confusing..surely these cars cant be that hard to control? Is it a DS4 issue or the actual car?
We played online last night with the Lykan in the rain, Total impossible to control with the wheel and pedals as well :lol:

It's not about skill here... I can control any car in GT6 on the edge, but in pCARS when high-speed cornering, a car will just go crazy when countersteering
Its not GT6, which may be part of the issue, as its not a helpful benchmark.

Edit: I drive only without aids.
Which again may be part of the issue.

Then again with the Lykan it may actually be a bag of 🤬 when it comes to handling, the test sessions video'd at Yas in Feb were hardly promising and they have not exactly been handing them out for test drives to the press in any eager manner.

AS far as the topic titles goes, no I don't find it unplayable and while I've not driven every car in every condition the ones I have that I expected to find more stable are and the ones I expected to be a challenge on the limit are.

In regard to the question it is definatly not unplayable with a pad once youve tweaked some settings....racing with the Clio it feels like i could lose it at any moment,you are always on the edge,but i really enjoy that...feels really satisfying when you claim victory.

There are some really stable cars that are good to start with with the pad...the old BMW touring car is pretty easy to drive imo.

It's not unplayable, but it's quite bad if you compare it to other racing games on console.

My settings right now are Steering Deadzone (25), Steering Sensitivity (45) and Controller Filtering Sensitivity (75). It is definately an improvement over the standard controls. I also think that using some of the driving aids could help with the issue.

It's not unplayable, but it's quite bad if you compare it to other racing games on console.

My settings right now are Steering Deadzone (25), Steering Sensitivity (45) and Controller Filtering Sensitivity (75). It is definately an improvement over the standard controls. I also think that using some of the driving aids could help with the issue.

If I can't compete with wheel users, it's unplayable for me :indiff:

I have steering sensitivity = 0 , steering dead zone =5 , speed sensitivity = 65 , filtering sensitivity = 75.

These settings work , BUT only when combined with adjustment of steering ratio in car settings ( for each car ).
I'm still tweaking though. Early days.

As others have said, it's how you approach this game. It's not GT6, Forza or Driveclub. I need time to learn the physics. If I'm top 100 in GT Academy, it doesn't mean I'm setting fastest lap in Pcars immediately. I'm not a GT hater. I owned GT1-6 (preordered 5 and 6). My expectation with Pcars is that I have to get the racing line, apex, braking zone and throttle right each and every time to be fast. I'm not here to debate GT vs Pcars. Just sharing the setting that is working for me in hopes that others may find the same enjoyment.

I was concerned after my first attempt because the controls were so sensitive/twitchy. Now I've found settings that work as a base for me. From here, I can adjust the car setup (ie. copy tunes shared online :D). Tested at Laguna Seca with Ford Focus RS, Ariel Atom 300, BMW 1-Series M Coupe, McLaren P1, Lykan Hypersport, Audi R18, and Lotus 98T(:drool:). I had full control of all of them. Able to correct oversteer that occurred. Default car setup/tune.

Brake and throttle control is key. If you map it to O and X like GT6 default, then this game may not be for you. I map mine to L2/R2 for Pcars. I'm sure there will be more fine tuning as we all get more comfortable with Pcars. This is only day 3.

CONTROLS (updated May 17: very close to GT6 optimization for me)
Steering deadzone: 10
Steering sensitivity: 5
Throttle deadzone: 10
Throttle sensitivity: 20
Brake deadzone: 10
Brake sensitivity: 25
Clutch deadzone: 10
Clutch sensitivity: 45
Speed sensitivity: 75
Controller filtering sensitivity: 45
Controller input mode: 2
Advanced: off
Soft steering dampening: off
Visual wheel filtering: off
Opposite lock help: off

GAMEPLAY
Driving assists allowed: Real (whatever the real world version has)

"ABS1 and all aids off" is GT6 gaming standard. I'm not worried about applying it to Pcars.

Last edited:
Man, all I've really been doing since Wednesday is faffing around with the control settings trying to find a smooth solution. Think I'm close to a comfortable setting with the Mode 2 formula below:

Steering deadzone: 5
Steering sensitivity: 0
Throttle deadzone: 0
Throttle sensitivity: 50
Brake deadzone: 10
Brake sensitivity: 25
Speed sensitivity: 60
Controller filtering sensitivity: 50

Advanced: on
Soft steering dampening: on
Visual wheel filtering: 0n

Atm it depends on the car for me...i can do laps on the 'edge' in the clio,but i cant control some at all,like the Lykan and the old Lotus open wheel. Its a bit confusing..surely these cars cant be that hard to control? Is it a DS4 issue or the actual car?
I tried the Lotus 49 with my G27 on pc and I can tell you there are few wheel drivers from Gran Turismo (where most of my experience is) that will be able to drive that car fast and consistent without a major amount of practice...and even then.... It is very difficult even with a wheel, as it should be IMO.

People...be patient with the settings and such, the game is also hard to configure to PC owners of the game with a wheel. There are a lot...I mean A LOT of configurations to tweak.

I know on consoles people want it to be easy to configure stuff or being "pre-made" for you...but this is not Gran Turismo or Forza (games purely designed for consoles).

But you can't deny this game is above both of them...you can customize everything at will...Complicated to do so? Yes...but also fun as hell when you can find the right setup or configuration.

I don't want to sound like an ass here, and it did take about 10 races, but I have not touched any of the settings besides button mappings and I think it's pretty decent on mode 3, and I am competitive in every car, track and weather I have raced, once i adapted to the tiny movements. The only vehicle I still struggle in is the 125 Kart.

I've spent 80% of the time I've had with the game online so I have not driven all cars admittedly, I just drive what is threw at me by the host. But up to now nothing has been too difficult at this setting tbh. I've won 1st time out in quite a few different classes and I am no where near the fastest driver on the game (only put it on pole twice and some of my friends on wheels, and other drivers are a good second faster than me) but I am smooth and consistent in the race.

WP_20150510_001.jpg

After reading all the people complaining about the default settings I was thinking maybe the online handling is different but the other 20% of the time has been on practice to learn a track or time trials and I am pretty decent on the leader boards.

So what I'm trying to say is maybe adapt your style to the controller instead of the other way round? Worth a shot I think and it has worked for me. Good luck and happy racing!

Its not GT6, which may be part of the issue, as its not a helpful benchmark.

Which again may be part of the issue.

I have to agree with this. Now I play with a wheel and not a pad, but so does my old man and both of us had different expectations going into this game. This has effected how we both play and feel about PCars.

I knew this was going to be a Sim or as close as possible compared to Arcade racing like Driveclub but also a lot more Sim compared to games like GT. I'm sorry to say this and a lot of pad players will not like this but GT on a pad is not a Sim, it's a very fine mix.

I love playing GT games but I'm enjoying PCars more. Because I accepted this and the fact the game will play this way I accepted there is a steeper learning curve, especially when it comes to cars like the Lotus.

My Dad took it onboard that it was a Sim but proceeded to get in the Lotus and head to Bathurst where he spent most of his time in the first few corners with missing front wheels. After about 5 tries I could see he was starting to get frustrated. I suggested starting in a lower end car to get a feel for the new physics; but nope he wasn't going to have any of it.

Playing with a Wheel or Pad is going to be a drastic change from other games unless you play PC sims where physics is king. My suggestion is be patient and take it slow and re-learn what driving and racing is about. Don't be disparaged by the game and its handling model, stick with it slow down and practice. Tweak the pad settings and keep pushing. Even with a wheel it's a big learning curve.

Last edited:
CONTROLS
Steering deadzone: 10
Steering sensitivity: 20
Throttle deadzone: 20
Throttle sensitivity: 35
Brake deadzone: 14
Brake sensitivity: 40
Clutch deadzone: 13
Clutch sensitivity: 45
Speed sensitivity: 75
Controller filtering sensitivity: 30
Controller input mode: 2
Advanced: on
Soft steering dampening: on
Visual wheel filtering: off

Some of these should have been set by the game dev for each car and should never be seen at all, so console pad controller users would only need as minimum adjustment to worry about ( deadzone should still be available for example ). Other games like GT6 and Forza would have similar adjustment, but they are invisible to the players, and the hard work has already been done by the dev + works well enough. I think PD and Turn 10 did great with adapting pad controller.

As it is now, a pad user on PS4 or Xbone would need to fine tune the controls settings for almost each car ? Then each car should have their own saved controller preset ?

Hi, I bought this game yesterday and I spent like 3 hours trying to set up the setting for a controller, was looking on the internet for a setup but it still just feels awkward.

Either you set it so you can't countersteer at all, or you set it so the car is totally uncontrollable in high speed corners, especially when need to do some corrections to steering.

I mean, why can I play GT6 at the edge, doing lap times so good that I can keep up even with top wheel users but here it just isn't possible?

So does anyone figured out some good settings for the controller or for car? I can feel that pCARS is really game but right now I just can't play it at all. :guilty:

I think you need to pick a car that you feel most comfortable with, and set a base line, feel what each adjustment parameter does to the input, write down the effect and drawback so you can adapt them to another car with particular quirks ( low speed or high speed twitch or bad counter steer ) The next time you have a car that have specific issue, you know which parameter to adjust and which way to go ( up or down ) Write down unique setup and treat it as part of car tune :)

I know how you feel, I had worse long time ago, one game in PSX day, JGTC official racing game that have the worst pad programming with no adjustment and playing it was a torture. Gas and brake was lethargic and spiky, steering on low and high speed are inconsistent too :eek:

Have the same feeling here.
And since my G25 dosent work on PS4 which is a big dissapointment to say the least.
Now waiting for a New steering Wheel.

After just fiddeling about for a few hours when the game came out.. I quickly saw that I need a steering Wheel to really enjoy this game. Shame on Logitech..

Just in case you haven't noticed it already, this emerged from a recent interview from Andy Tudor ask specifically about G25/27 support for PS4:

... so that I never have to answer this question ever again, all I have to say is that our wheel list is not final so please hang in there for more information...

... we have the answer, we can not tell it, right now, but please just hang in there a little more...

from here @ 49:35

Read into it what you want...

In regard to the question it is definatly not unplayable with a pad once youve tweaked some settings....racing with the Clio it feels like i could lose it at any moment,you are always on the edge,but i really enjoy that...feels really satisfying when you claim victory.

There are some really stable cars that are good to start with with the pad...the old BMW touring car is pretty easy to drive imo.
Agree with this comment. And I'd add another car to the old BMW touring car, which really does handle easily, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo, very stable car, as you'd expect to be honest. :)

I can drive/race the cars with the DS4 without any major hassle and feels pretty good overall. However, when you lose traction and start to countersteer, it becomes unnecessarily hard; it quickly snaps back and you're basically screwed, race over. It makes for a major frustration. While I appreciate the wealth of options, I believe fine tuning the pad for the best experience for each car should've gotten far, far more attention during development.

I can drive/race the cars with the DS4 without any major hassle and feels pretty good overall. However, when you lose traction and start to countersteer, it becomes unnecessarily hard; it quickly snaps back and you're basically screwed, race over. It makes for a major frustration. While I appreciate the wealth of options, I believe fine tuning the pad for the best experience for each car should've gotten far, far more attention during development.

Exactly. Now imagine you're pushing really hard and need to countersteer a little almost every corner... Can't be done.

The lack of explanation in the game for the controller settings, and many others for that matter, doesn't help with setting up a decent control scheme. The game is playable, for sure, but no matter how you set the controller up, driving many of the cars in the game is unnecessarily difficult. Managing any car is just not as cumbersome and frustrating as it is using a controller in this game. Therefore, when using one in this game, it cannot be considered a "simulator" at all, in my opinion.

Keep playing with the controller settings and testing a car that is hard to drive, getting the heat in the tyres and being very careful with how you transfer weight helps a lot. It does feel like they haven't put much effort into the DS4 though.

I've got my controller settings pretty much at default (changed the sensitivity a little) and it's absolutely fine, I've won a few races online and generally it's handling OK. Although the road cars are a bit of a handful with it, all the GT cars appear to handle fine.

Counter steer is a bit of a issue but I've found it's OK on most minor slides. Big slides you just have to let it go.

As it is now, a pad user on PS4 or Xbone would need to fine tune the controls settings for almost each car ? Then each car should have their own saved controller preset ?

I don't think so. At least, I don't have to adjust the setting for each car. The controller setting I shared works for me - from karts to fwd Ford Focus to Lotus 98T. I haven't driven every car yet, but so far so good.

@MXHyland - have you tried adjusting the Steering Deadzone? As I understand it... higher number = less twitchy when stick is centered; too high number = input lag.

I'm having trouble contersteering with all the cars, the most powerful cars is already a big drama for me right now I hope it gets better with a bit of practice.

I got low the sensibility of a lot settings due to the fact that it was complete disappointing, I wasn't able to complete a lap without having any problem.

I miss my DFGT so much.

Exactly. Now imagine you're pushing really hard and need to countersteer a little almost every corner... Can't be done.
Sorry but yes it can.

Is it easy to catch and hold big angles on racing rubber? No, nor should it be.

Now don't get me wrong it's not perfect and certainly the default controller set-up should have been better, these I don't believe are even up for debate.

However to say its undrivable or you can't correct small amounts of oversteer is simply not true; it would be interesting to know the exact conditions and expectations people have of the some of the situations in question as I've managed to use a controller to flick a Focus RS around a chicane (which most certainly required a quick countersteer - over a curb as well), driven a zero down force Forumla Jnr (Formula Ford in effect through Eau Rogue as smooth as needed and countersteered a Ginetta to correct a small degree of oversteer soon after a start when your tyres are still not 100% up to temp (which I then threw away via a silly mistake that resulted in a big sideways moment on the grass.

So I would certainly agree that it needs work and the default should have been better, but I can't agree that its either undrivable or simply can't be done.

Back