Dumb Questions Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 763 comments
What's the difference between 3D printing and manufacturing?

A fair few things I have seen described as 3D printed to me just seem like they have been manufactured or could be described as being manufactured but 3D printing is a techy buzz word to make it sound cooler.

Even if the thing is of a single-piece construction done through CAD, it's still just... being manufactured. Printing involves making an impression of something onto something else.

Last edited:
3D printing is also called additive manufacturing. You build something by adding material layer by layer. Traditional manufacturing involves stripping material away.

A fair few things I have seen described as 3D printed to me just seem like they have been manufactured or could be described as being manufactured but 3D printing is a techy buzz word to make it sound cooler.

Even if the thing is of a single-piece construction done through CAD, it's still just... being manufactured. Printing involves making an impression of something onto something else.
I suppose '3D printing' just describes a form of manufacturing, manufacturing just being the umbrella term for making something. It's like 'lazer cut' or 'CNC milling'.

As stated, "manufacturing" is much broader, and could include any method such as stamping, milling, casting, cutting, knitting, sewing, whatever. 3D printing is a specific process for producing a part.

3D printing, to me, just seems to be an annoying buzzword.

To me it seems like a unibody construction or lots of different layers merged together, which is fair enough, but not some 'revolutionary' technique that grabs attention and column inches.

It's a change, yes, but not the change. In my opinion.

CADM standing for computer aided design and manufacturing seems to be the most applicable term.

Last edited:

To me it seems like a unibody construction or lots of different layers merged together, which is fair enough, but not some 'revolutionary' technique that grabs attention and column inches.
Additive manufacturing has a lot of potential, like AI does. For one thing it's a lot less wasteful than traditional manufacturing. If you're adding material layer by layer, then you only need enough material to make your final product. Traditional manufacturing requires an excess since you're cutting material away to make something.

3D printers in particular have the capacity to greatly enhance the availability of certain goods because they can create a wide variety of items quickly without the need for specialized tools. In the future for example things like spoons, forks, wrenches, computer cases, tables, ceiling fan blades, hubcaps, etc may only be sold as CAD files that can be freely edited by the end user to meet their specific needs. When the user is done editing the files, they simply send the item to print in their personal 3D printer and there it is. No traveling to the store or delivery from a warehouse. In fact, no warehouse at all. You've cut out all the transportation except for getting the printer and the print material and allowed for nearly endless end user customization without having to spend millions on redesign and retooling.

Then there is also the potential in new fields like bio-printing. We may be able to create artificial organs or body parts thanks to the flexibility of 3D printers. Making complex biological structures would be much more difficult with traditional manufacturing, although robots and prosthetics have come a long way to be fair.

Computer-aided manufacturing could still apply to numerous other methods, such as CIC machines.

To me, expressing your machine, device, or product as being 3D printed isn't so much a statement about your device or product, but a statement about your embracing of technology options.

Last edited:
Are smokeless forms of tobacco such a snus, snuff and dip as bad for your cardio as cigarettes?

I was just reading an article about footballers seeking help with snus addiction and it got me wondering. Obvious snu snu joke is obvious.

Last edited:

It's a change, yes, but not the change. In my opinion.

CADM standing for computer aided design and manufacturing seems to be the most applicable term.
The 'revolutionary' aspect of it is that pretty much any tom, dick or harry can 3D print in the comfort of their own dwelling of choice. A rudimentary 3D printer could cost you as little as £350 and is i imagine pretty inoffensive enough in operation to be used within your living quarters not some grubby workshop.

You would be first cousins once removed.
Thanks, the first of my cousins recently had a child so I was wondering if there was a new familial relationship to go with the newest row on the family tree but I am already a first cousin once removed to my parents' cousins.

Last edited:
This is genealogically correct but in everyday life mine call me uncle Mike.

Last edited:
Thanks, the first of my cousins recently had a child so I was wondering if there was a new familial relationship to go with the newest row on the family tree but I am already a first cousin once removed to my parents' cousins.
Your children would be second cousins with this new child. Your children are first cousins once removed with your first cousin. When your first cousin has a grandchild, you'd be a first cousin TWICE removed.

The chart here, stolen without shame from the website of the State Library of North Carolina, lets you find your relationship to anyone in your family tree. (if your tree covers more than 10 generations, just make the chart bigger.) Find a common ancestor, the count the generations for yourself across the top, and the generations for them down the side, and the intersecting box is your relationship.
CA = Common Ancestor
C = Child
GC= Grandchild, and just add "G"s for however many "great-"s need to go there.
N = Neice or Nephew. with "G"s as needed.
1C, 2C, 3C, etc. - First, Second, Third cousins, etc., and 1R, 2R, 3R, is once, twice, or three time removed.

52807492799_901807f55c_c.jpg

This is genealogically correct but in everyday life mine call me uncle Mike.
Yeah, we also just use "uncle" or "aunt" in that case.
I am the oldest person in my generation on my family tree; that is to say, out of me, my two sisters and all of our cousins (first cousins, to clarify) and by quite a margin. I am 31 and my oldest cousin is 22, my youngest cousin is just 3. Because of the age gap I've always had a niece/nephew relationship with my cousins. 3 of my aunties and uncles are closer in age to me than them, 35, 37 and 39, and because we actually did grow up together they have always felt more like cousins to me.

Yeah, North Wales is a strange place.

Last edited:
The chart here, stolen without shame from the website of the State Library of North Carolina, lets you find your relationship to anyone in your family tree. (if your tree covers more than 10 generations, just make the chart bigger.) Find a common ancestor, the count the generations for yourself across the top, and the generations for them down the side, and the intersecting box is your relationship.
CA = Common Ancestor
C = Child
GC= Grandchild, and just add "G"s for however many "great-"s need to go there.
N = Neice or Nephew. with "G"s as needed.
1C, 2C, 3C, etc. - First, Second, Third cousins, etc., and 1R, 2R, 3R, is once, twice, or three time removed.

52807492799_901807f55c_c.jpg
I have my own dumb question about this. Obviously this chart can continue to include relation to every single person (and indeed plant and animal) on earth. You could figure out how distant a cousin of yours a turtle is. So the question is where do we cut this off as silly?

Last edited:
I have my own dumb question about this. Obviously this chart can continue to include relation to every single person (and indeed plant and animal) on earth. You could figure out how distant a cousin of yours a turtle is. So the question is where do we cut this off as silly?
For myself, it gets silly past row or column 3. Anything out from that would be somebody I've never known, met, or remotely cared about. Actually a significant number of my family within row and column 2 fall into that, as well!

So now that Fox owe Dominion $787 billion million (oops), how do they pay it? Do they cut a cheque, e-transfer, or set up a payment plan? If it is a cheque, is it is hand delivered, or will the pop it in the mail in a Hallmark apology card?

Last edited:
So now that Fox owe Dominion $787 billion, how do they pay it? Do they cut a cheque, e-transfer, or set up a payment plan? If it is a cheque, is it is hand delivered, or will the pop it in the mail in a Hallmark apology card?
It's $787 million, but as for how it's paid. Typically in the US, settlements are either paid in one lump sum to the lawyers who deduct whatever they need to and transfer the money to the person/company/team that won the case, or they're structured where they pay so much per year. If it's a structured settlement and you need your money now, you call a company like JG Wentworth which agrees to pay you a lump sum for a fee.

Someone in the financial sector can probably answer how the money is delivered though. I'm guessing it's all electronic though and spread out into several accounts or handled through a financial company since $787 million in a bank account would be an FDIC nightmare.

So now that Fox owe Dominion $787 billion, how do they pay it? Do they cut a cheque, e-transfer, or set up a payment plan? If it is a cheque, is it is hand delivered, or will the pop it in the mail in a Hallmark apology card?
Rupert Murdoch personally hands over an oversized cheque to the Dominion people in an all smiles, handshakes and glitter cannons photo opportunity. I would imagine.

Rupert Murdoch personally hands over an oversized cheque to the Dominion people in an all smiles, handshakes and glitter cannons photo opportunity. I would imagine.
I was hoping that is the case, but then you deposit the cheque and create the FDIC nightmare Joey brings up. $787.25 of the $787.5m are not guaranteed (among other problems I assume).

I always imagine it to be an oversized novelty check.

Seriously, I've had to pay traffic fines and court costs immediately; why doesn't a judge just tell them to whip out a checkbook, sign it, tear it, and be done with it? You'd figure this would eliminate some of the overhead of verifying payment and making sure someone doesn't just default on the matter. Then again, a judge doesn't know if a check is going to clear the bank right away; in most cases, a large sum is probably given like 30 days make payment.

(Obviously 787 million is on the higher side of things, the number wouldn't fit in the little rectangle, and it's probably not FDIC insured.)

Last edited:
So now that Fox owe Dominion $787 billion million (oops), how do they pay it? Do they cut a cheque, e-transfer, or set up a payment plan? If it is a cheque, is it is hand delivered, or will the pop it in the mail in a Hallmark apology card?

Depends on how how the settlement is structured. I don't know if the details of that have been released. That amount is likely the aggregate value of all of the cost of the settlement, and it may be over some period of time or be a valuation of something that has to get handed over. Suppose for example that fox has to advertise for dominion somehow (I think this is very unlikely, just spit balling). The value of those ads would be lumped into this sum. There may be other non-monetary requirements as well - such as retractions, apologies, who knows. It could be structured in a much more complex way than simply handing over the money, but I think companies are more than capable of wiring that kind of money to the right accounts. If they need to raise money, they can dilute their stock or something.

It's $787 million, but as for how it's paid. Typically in the US, settlements are either paid in one lump sum to the lawyers who deduct whatever they need to and transfer the money to the person/company/team that won the case, or they're structured where they pay so much per year. If it's a structured settlement and you need your money now, you call a company like JG Wentworth which agrees to pay you a lump sum for a fee.

Someone in the financial sector can probably answer how the money is delivered though. I'm guessing it's all electronic though and spread out into several accounts or handled through a financial company since $787 million in a bank account would be an FDIC nightmare.
CALL 877-CASH-NOW!

Back