Dumb Questions Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 763 comments
Are humans naturally monogamous or is it something we conditionally adapt to because of our sense of morality?

Absolutely easy answer. It has to be taught. I don't think it's any sense of morality, either, as there is no sense of morality. It's taught as we're raised, or it's not. (Talking about both morality and monogamy there...) When it's not, you see what happens.

If we were naturally monogamous, there wouldn't be VH-1 shows like "Cheaters," and Jerry Springer wouldn't have so many "Who's the daddy?" episodes.

The only thing "natural" about any concept of monogamy is the universal belief that you won't get caught. "How's she gonna know?" "What he doesn't know won't hurt him."

Last edited:
Are humans naturally monogamous or is it something we conditionally adapt to because of our sense of morality?

Humans are socially monogamous by nature, but not sexually monogamous. Sexual monogamy is more of a social construct that basically says "don't cheat on your spouse" but it's not like humans evolved that way naturally. In terms of social monogamy, it's important to note that it doesn't have to relate to sex or mating. It just means that humans typically find someone to share a "territory" with or other social bonding. You can very much be socially monogamous and sexually polygamous. This is why it's commonplace to see people cheat.

There's also genetic monogamy, but I don't really remember much about that from my human evolution classes. I think it means to only procreate with one individual, which would be another social construct and not a natural one.

Required reading - The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. He goes into great detail about behavioral differences between male and female members of species and how it relates to the way genes are expressed and the stake they have in passing on genetics. He talks both about animals which mate for life, and animals which are highly promiscuous, where most males might not be expected to procreate for example - why those differences exist in different species, and why a mix of those types of behavior among individuals within a species can also be expected.

Edit:

Also, it's worth noting that your question would be better posed by separating it to male and female members of the human species and discussing averages across individuals. So, for example "are human males predominately naturally monogamous"... and likewise "are human females predominately naturally monogamous". And then keep in mind that life expectancy, from the perspective of our genetic code, is not particularly long.

Last edited:
If the police deliberately rigged a cash machine to pay out double to "catch out" anybody who realised and then tried to double their bank account, would that be classed as entrapment?

It's a crime when it happens by accident and someone then tries it again but I'm wondering if this specific scenario would be a form of entrapment.

Last edited:
If the police deliberately rigged a cash machine to pay out double to "catch out" anybody who realised and then tried to double their bank account, would that be classed as entrapment?

It's a crime when it happens by accident and someone then tries it again but I'm wondering if this specific scenario would be a form of entrapment.
Accurate or not, I tend to think of situations in which law enforcement acts to invite, encourage or compel an individual to engage in illegal activity as entrapment. Law enforcement setting up the opportunity for one to engage in the activity where it might not present organically, and monitoring the activity as a sting operation, probably wouldn't be considered entrapment according to those parameters.

Accurate or not, I tend to think of situations in which law enforcement acts to invite, encourage or compel an individual to engage in illegal activity as entrapment. Law enforcement setting up the opportunity for one to engage in the activity where it might not present organically, and monitoring the activity as a sting operation, probably wouldn't be considered entrapment according to those parameters.

I had a cop tailgate me at night to get me to drive faster and then give me a ticket.

I had a cop tailgate me at night to get me to drive faster and then give me a ticket.
Did you fight it? That seems like a clear case of reckless driving on the part of the cop.

It feels like entrapment, but the severity of the crime, with punishment capped at citation and fine rather than whatever may result from successful prosecution, makes me think the defense wouldn't apply.

Last edited:
Did you fight it? That seems like a clear case of reckless driving on the part of the cop.

It feels like entrapment, but the severity of the crime, with punishment capped at citation and fine rather than whatever may result from successful prosecution, makes me think the defense wouldn't apply.

I was 17 I think, I did not fight it. I was already having a bad day as I thought I had lost my wallet, so I didn't have my license for the stop either. It turned out my wallet was just at home, had show up at the courthouse to prove that I had a license.

Good times!

That "tailgating" is usually because there's already something about you or the vehicle that has their attention and they want a closer look before the stop.

I had the same happen literally last month, but mine ended very different.
Stop started as a no tag lights.
Tag lights work.
Changed to 80 in a 65.
We were doing 70.
Changed to failure to maintain lane.
I maintained lane and even gave a signal.
Then it changed to DUI.
I passed.
47 minutes later at around midnight after getting off work I was arrested for a warrant from 2004. 17 1/2 years ago...
There was nothing to actually pull me over for.
I've been stopped plenty of times in those 17 years and never had it brought up. He(the same officer) pulled me over 3 weeks prior for a failure to maintain lane.
I think he was butt hurt he couldn't get me on anything over the last month and a half so he went digging in the archives to find any reason to get me and my Honda off the road.
Joke is on him. Everything was dropped a week later... Pays to have a dash cam that shows your speed and other stuff.
That's why y'all didn't see me for a minute, if y'all even cared.

I'm pretty sure that unless it was murder, treason, kidnapping, or rape, the statute of limitations was long gone on anything from 2004.

OTOH, child support is FOREVER!!!

(Not being nosy, just having fun with a 17-year-old warrant.)

Can UVB penetrate windows (normal glass) so the body can create vitamin D when sitting in the sun behind a window?

I have not yet gotten a reliable answer and I've asked many people (even medical), search the internet for an answer.

My father is so stubborn and he refuses to go in the sun, so I have to supplement him with vit. D3 every day, hence my question.

Can UVB penetrate windows (normal glass) so the body can create vitamin D when sitting in the sun behind a window?
Short answer: no.
Long answer: not entirely no, but almost no enough to be effectively no

I think your question was off-topic, as it wasn't a "dumb" question. You should be banned. :dopey:

What's the origin of the term "Glaswegian" for people from Glasgow? I gather it was styled after Norway/"Norwegian," which also inspired Galway/"Galwegian," but those actually make sense.

What's the origin of the term "Glaswegian" for people from Glasgow? I gather it was styled after Norway/"Norwegian," which also inspired Galway/"Galwegian," but those actually make sense.
From what I have read, it's due to that. There is no real rule for demonyms.

Never thought of that. It wouldn't surprise me if there's some Viking connection going way back when.

Wait'll you get to Novocastrian and Mancunian...
It wasn't hard to suss out what they were, and I kind of get "Novocastrian," but "Mancunian" is...weird. Neither is as perplexing as the aforementioned, however, because they don't so obviously borrow from another. "Michigander" is also fairly strange, but again it's sort of its own thing.

It wasn't hard to suss out what they were, and I kind of get "Novocastrian," but "Mancunian" is...weird. Neither is as perplexing as the aforementioned, however, because they don't so obviously borrow from another. "Michigander" is also fairly strange, but again it's sort of its own thing.
I thought "Liverpudlian" was kind of unique until I encountered Blackpudlians. Salopians from Shropshire though...

Last edited:
Back