E3 2008 Videos and News

I guess R* is not in E3 but LA Noire is totally PS3 Exclusive. So maybe Sony can show some screens about that game. Maybe Sony will announce tomorrow that gta5 will be ps3 ex. that would be a real epic fail :P (by the way R* promised to make an exclusive game to ps3 besides LA Noire. Project is unknown at the moment)

I don't know what Sony can do tommorrow to counter this

Except,

• Super Awesome Trailer of Gran Turismo 5 showcasing damage and weather.
  • Concrete Home Relase Date and promise no more delays!
  • Announce another price drop (It's already too cheap for what it gives you)
  • Show a new jaw dropping first party game

I totally agree, Sony needs to give a definite release date for Home because it starting to be a bit of a joke! A GT damage trailer would certainly help things but for now xbox is looking smug with its stealing of classic PS franchises..

I just hope Sony doesnt end up showing off real mediocre stuff like PSN games and life on playstation or something.... those are not JESUS I NEED A PS3 announcements!

Robin

:lol: My word, some people need to get a life. People complaining that their PS3 is useless, err no it's not FFXIII is still coming out on the PS3, they can still use thier PSS3's for what they intended, if their intention was to play FFXIII on it. If thier intention was as much if not more so to use FFXIII in the virtual penis tugging game of my consoles better than yours then these people are to put it simply, losers with seemingly very little in thier lives that is of any actual worth.

Anywho, I'm hoping we get some new info on GT5 tomorrow and maybe a few other interesting titles.

Well just wanted to clarify that I'm upset about what making a great game like Final Fantasy multiplatform might do to it.

As great as some may think GTA IV is it could have been better and could have been released quicker if it were exclusive to one console.

How many times did Rockstar complain that one version was holding back the other?

First it was the DVD format of the 360 was restricting them. Then problems finishing the PS3 version was most likely the reason why it got delayed until the spring.

The 360 and PS3 are two totally different machines. It's easier to get more out of the 360 but it has far less potential then the PS3.

I was excited about a great exclusive game like Final Fantasy XIII not worrying about having to be multiplatform so SE could get as much as they could out of the PS3.

Now it's pretty much a lock the game is going to suffer and won't be all it can be.

Imagine what would happen if Microsoft said GT5 was coming to 360. You bet your bottoms dollar it would get downgraded to work with the 360. I see no reason why FFXIII would be different.

MGS4, GT5, these are possible AAAA quality games that are impossible to port to the 360 without some sort of downgrade. No reason to think FFXIII would be different.

I'll just have to accept this. It won't matter that I spent $200 more then the price of a 360 to get the absolute best console in gaming when SE will just dumb down the greatest RPG franchise ever to the cheaper (in both ways) console.

Essentially, I paid more money for the PS3 to get a better gaming experience with an exclusive FFXIII then a Xbox guy paid for a 360 but we will both get the same experience when playing FFXIII. Not fair at all.

If all games went multiplatform then what's the point of paying for the more expensive console when the gameplay experience will be no better then the inferior cheaper console?

This is no doubt a dark day for the gaming industry.

Even games like GoW2, Halo need to stay exclusive to their console the developers can make the most of them. What would the 360 shooters be like without Xbox Live?

As for those saying Square did this simply because they needed the money from 360 sales, then why didn't MGS4 go multiplatform as well if money was such a big problem for the big developers?

It's been known for quite sometime that Microsoft wanted to steal Final Fantasy. SE said they had to pay for the development of both versions of the game and the refused at first but I guess somewhere along the way they made an agreement and here you have it.

In the end I think this rotten trail traces all the way back to the original virus, Electronic Arts. They are responsible for the multiplatform craze and the current, general downfall of the quality of videogames.

Several months ago SE guys working on FFXIII were talking about how blu-ray helped them make FFXIII and that was one reason why they chose PS3 over the 360 but now they are going to have one hand tied behind their back downgrading FFXIII for the 360.

I guarantee you the guys making FFXIII are ticked off they are not given the best hardware to work with but now must gimp the game to work on the 360.

This is so rotten, Microsoft and EA are the sores of the videogame industry and must be removed ASAP before they buy everything up.

As great as some may think GTA IV is it could have been better and could have been released quicker if it were exclusive to one console.

Agreed.

Now it's pretty much a lock the game is going to suffer and won't be all it can be.

Fortunately nothing is a lock at this point, and we have no clue right now how SE plans on adapting FFXIII for the 360, or even if both the PS3 and 360 versions will be identical.

MGS4, GT5, these are possible AAAA quality games that are impossible to port to the 360 without some sort of downgrade. No reason to think FFXIII would be different.

Except you are assuming that both versions will be identical. Yes, they may very well end up that way, but we don't know for sure, and won't likely know for many months. We also don't know for a fact that both versions will be released at the same time. There is an amazing amount of info we don't know. So much so, that seeing people freak out over this news based on such a small amount of info seems rather drastic to me.

Essentially, I paid more money for the PS3 to get a better gaming experience with an exclusive FFXIII then a Xbox guy paid for a 360 but we will both get the same experience when playing FFXIII. Not fair at all.

Well not only are you still assuming the worst, but why would you deny someone else the opportunity to have a similar experience, just because they have a different console or if you paid more?

If all games went multiplatform then what's the point of paying for the more expensive console when the gameplay experience will be no better then the inferior cheaper console?

oh I don't know... maybe because one can play Blu-ray discs, one can upscale DVD to 1080p, one can play SACDs, one has HDMI for all models, one has HDMI 1.3, one is far more reliable, maybe because one has free online play, maybe because one has built-in WiFi, Bluetooth, memory card reader, one supports far more media formats and A/V codecs than another, maybe because one has more multi-media support, one has a browser, one has 3rd party peripherals and upgradeable hard drives, one even allows you to install a different OS, including Yellow Dog Linux.

Honestly? You really think the only difference between a PS3 and a 360 is it's games and how those games work on those consoles?

This is no doubt a dark day for the gaming industry.

Really? Based on just one announcement about a game that will have a version available for the 360? I'm really shocked by your reaction.

Let me be the first to say this... EA may be making a slow comeback. Spore looks great, Mirror's Edge looks great, even Madden 09 looks interesting... But I guess I'll have to see what their stuff is like when it's released though.

The thing is, according to initial reports they're not even going to release the 360 version in Japan because the install base of 360s there is pathetic. So that leaves just American and European territories. American 360 owners are more interseted in shooters and American RPGs not JRPGs. Iirc PS3 has already outsold the 360 in Europe.

Let's see:
Lost Odyssey sold 440,000 copies in the US compared to 1,830,000 for Final Fantasy XII. That's not bad considering the much larger user-base of the PS2 and popularity of the Final Fantasy series.

As for those saying Square did this simply because they needed the money from 360 sales, then why didn't MGS4 go multiplatform as well if money was such a big problem for the big developers?

Because Kojima didn't want it to go to the 360. He had a hard enough time trying to fit the game on a Blu-Ray disc.

Really? Based on just one announcement about a game that will have a version available for the 360? I'm really shocked by your reaction.

You shouldn't be, seeing as you have been in this thread.

Oh no it's the apocalypse, the gamining industry is doomed because FFXIII is going to be on 2 consoles :eek:.

How many apocalyses have we been through on GTP now?

Seriousely Earth, chill out, it's a game and one that promises to be good regardless. It might stink, but the chances are that if it does, it would of anyway. It's been in development for ages before being announced as multi-platform now. You assume that the two games will be identical, yet that's not always the case in multi-platform releases, particularly AAA titles.

Digital-Nitrate
Except you are assuming that both versions will be identical. Yes, they may very well end up that way, but we don't know for sure, and won't likely know for many months. We also don't know for a fact that both versions will be released at the same time. There is an amazing amount of info we don't know. So much so, that seeing people freak out over this news based on such a small amount of info seems rather drastic to me.

I am expecting the worst. It's better to do it that way then hope for the best.

Digital-Nitrate
Well not only are you still assuming the worst, but why would you deny someone else the opportunity to have a similar experience, just because they have a different console or if you paid more?

I'll put it this way,

You buy a $20 ticket to watch a movie at a high tech Digital Projector etc IMAX type movie theater. The movie studio says the movie will be exclusive to the IMAX theater. Later on you find the movie studio was bribed and now they will be releasing the movie on lesser movie theaters with tickets that only cost $10.

Because of the last minute bribe the movie may be delayed in order for it to work on the lesser projectors and it most likely will lose some of the quality it could have originally had on the IMAX Digital Projector so it can work with the lesser projectors.

Digital-Nitrate
oh I don't know... maybe because one can play Blu-ray discs, one can upscale DVD to 1080p, one can play SACDs, one has HDMI for all models, one has HDMI 1.3, one is far more reliable, maybe because one has free online play, maybe because one has built-in WiFi, Bluetooth, memory card reader, one supports far more media formats and A/V codecs than another, maybe because one has more multi-media support, one has a browser, one has 3rd party peripherals and upgradeable hard drives, one even allows you to install a different OS, including Yellow Dog Linux.

Honestly? You really think the only difference between a PS3 and a 360 is it's games and how those games work on those consoles?

I don't regret buying the PS3, and I agree with you that there are many more things then just games that make the PS3 worth the extra money over the 360.

It's just Final Fantasy XIII was one of those games I was really looking forward to, a game I was waiting to see unleash the full power of the PS3, and now that is probably impossible.

However Microsoft potentially ruining great games by forcing them to be multiplatform just irritates me to no end.

Square Enix has used me then dumped me on the side of the road naked in the cold.

ROAD_DOGG33J
Let's see:
Lost Odyssey sold 440,000 copies in the US compared to 1,830,000 for Final Fantasy XII. That's not bad considering the much larger user-base of the PS2 and popularity of the Final Fantasy series.

If FFXIII were released right now in the US on both platforms the PS3 version would sell considerably more. It is my experience PS3 users are far more intersted in Final Fantasy then Xbox users.

ROAD_DOGG33J
Because Kojima didn't want it to go to the 360. He had a hard enough time trying to fit the game on a Blu-Ray disc.

And the guys working on FFXIII didn't want it to go to the 360 because the PS3 is superior in every way!

Final Fantasy XIII will be dumbed down now!!!!

May 31, 2006 before Microsoft bribe (Now you may hear Square Enix speak propoganda from the puppeteer Microsoft that the 360 has advantages over the PS3. Keep your ears peeled. It's obvious in this quote the developers see PS3 as the far superior system)

Toriyama and Versus producer Shinji Hashimoto defended the decision to release FFXIII on the PS3. According to Hashimoto, the development staff determined that one DVD would not be enough for the type of visual expression they were attempting to make. Toriyama noted that, regarding visual expression, the PS3's shader abilities are a big factor.

SOURCE

ROAD_DOGG33J
You shouldn't be, seeing as you have been in this thread.

Good then you know what to expect. Besides, I'm not the worst, others have threatened Square Enix with death and terrorism

Dave A
Oh no it's the apocalypse, the gamining industry is doomed because FFXIII is going to be on 2 consoles .

How many apocalyses have we been through on GTP now?

Seriousely Earth, chill out, it's a game and one that promises to be good regardless. It might stink, but the chances are that if it does, it would of anyway. It's been in development for ages before being announced as multi-platform now. You assume that the two games will be identical, yet that's not always the case in multi-platform releases, particularly AAA titles.

It's not the end of the world, but just the beginning of the end.

I am looking at the trends, and it is really bad now.

Maybe its hard for you to understand why I am so upset because I was looking forward to FFXIII for so long. If the same thing happened to Gran Turismo you can expect the GT5 forum to meltdown into a real apocalypse

If FFXIII were released right now in the US on both platforms the PS3 version would sell considerably more. It is my experience PS3 users are far more interested in Final Fantasy then Xbox users.

And I say that it wouldn't. That's because it wasn't going to be released on the Xbox.

And the guys working on FFXIII didn't want it to go to the 360 because the PS3 is superior in every way!

Final Fantasy XIII will be dumbed down now!!!!

May 31, 2006 before Microsoft bribe (Now you may hear Square Enix speak propoganda from the puppeteer Microsoft that the 360 has advantages over the PS3. Keep your ears peeled. It's obvious in this quote the developers see PS3 as the far superior system)

Toriyama and Versus producer Shinji Hashimoto defended the decision to release FFXIII on the PS3. According to Hashimoto, the development staff determined that one DVD would not be enough for the type of visual expression they were attempting to make. Toriyama noted that, regarding visual expression, the PS3's shader abilities are a big factor.

SOURCE

Yeah good thing, they can release it on multiple DVDs. Again, development was probably started on the PS3.

Good then you know what to expect. Besides, I'm not the worst, others have threatened Square Enix with death and terrorism

[sarcasm]Good thing you're acting so mature[/sarcasm]

Maybe its hard for you to understand why I am so upset because I was looking forward to FFXIII for so long. If the same thing happened to Gran Turismo you can expect the GT5 forum to meltdown into a real apocalypse

If the same thing happened to GT, I would expect Polyphony Digital to extract the best from both systems.

To be honest I'm not too sure why it's such a big shock. FF XI came to the 360. Okay, it wasn't out on the PS3, but that gave an indication that FF XIII maybe released on Xbox...

It's not as if it's the end of the world either - they still get to play the game? Okay, it maybe made so it suits both consoles, so they game possibly may not be as good as it should be, but let's give Square Enix a chance, shall we? Devil May Cry 4 worked out well, so let's not cry over it...

It's getting pretty bad, people are digressing, I haven't seen anything like this before.

A lot of PS3 fanboys...months later they will be handing their money over to Square

They should step away from the keyboard and realize it's just a game.

That has to be one of the worst petitions ever. Either way, I don't agree with it especially this part:
There is no point for Final Fantasy 13 to be on the Xbox 360.

I think this is a big blow for Sony and they could regret not throwing everything at Square to retain exclusivity, but personally, as long as one version or the other doesn't suffer as a result of this, I have no problem with it appearing on both platforms.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of all this Xbox 360 & Windows exclusive DLC. First GTAIV and now Resident Evil 5 and Fallout 3, but I have my doubts over how significant that content will be.

Wait so how is a game coming out for two systems bad for the gaming industry? The creators of FFXIII will make, instead of one boat load of money, two. That can't be bad. More money for the developer means more epic gaming in the future since they will have the funds to do so. I wish more games were multiplatform so I could enjoy those game I want to play multiplayer modes with on the 360 and those I want to play single player with on the PS3 (mainly due to what my friends own).

Also just because not everyone is wealthy enough to own all three next gen systems or a sweet PC, it makes sense for game companies not to discriminate big titles. If the game truly is that awesome, put it out on multiple systems and rake in the profits, then design better games.

A lot of PS3 fanboys...months later they will be handing their money over to Square

They should step away from the keyboard and realize it's just a game.

+1 Good advice worth repeating.

That has to be one of the worst petitions ever. Either way, I don't agree with it especially this part:

++1 That part especially comes of as mean spirited and self centered.

I think this is a big blow for Sony and they could regret not throwing everything at Square to retain exclusivity, but personally, as long as one version or the other doesn't suffer as a result of this, I have no problem with it appearing on both platforms.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of all this Xbox 360 & Windows exclusive DLC. First GTAIV and now Resident Evil 5 and Fallout 3, but I have my doubts over how significant that content will be.

Excellent points, and I'm sure despite what Sony and their diehard supporters might suggest, it certainly is a big blow to Sony in terms of potential sales.

I also share your doubt on how big a role exclusive DLC will play, although if done well and at a reasonable price I can certainly see where it may help push sales of one version over another. Frankly, I was surprised there was no mention of the exclusive GTA4 DLC during any part of the Microsoft presentation. :odd:

Wait so how is a game coming out for two systems bad for the gaming industry? The creators of FFXIII will make, instead of one boat load of money, two. That can't be bad. More money for the developer means more epic gaming in the future since they will have the funds to do so. I wish more games were multiplatform so I could enjoy those game I want to play multiplayer modes with on the 360 and those I want to play single player with on the PS3 (mainly due to what my friends own).

Also just because not everyone is wealthy enough to own all three next gen systems or a sweet PC, it makes sense for game companies not to discriminate big titles. If the game truly is that awesome, put it out on multiple systems and rake in the profits, then design better games.

QFT, and well said!

Assuming a game isn't dumbed down, the only one who benefits by having an exclusive title is the maker of that particular console... not the gamers who own it, and certainly not the ones who don't own it. In fact, one might even be able to make a reasonable case that even if a game does get dumbed down in order to become a multi-platform game, maybe, as Joey pointed out, with greater popularity and profits, the next version will be a lot better because of it.

However at the end of the day, as ROAD_DOGG33J pointed out... they are all just games, and even dumbed down games can be extremely entertaining... and I'll be shocked if FFXIII doesn't turn out to be an extraordinary game on both the PS3 and 360. 👍

BTW: I still have not yet had a chance to watch the coverage off the DVR, but I heard that Microsoft made G4 and other news cameras shut off the cameras that were near the screen when they showed the video footage of FFXIII. Is that true, and if so why?

I think Sony finally figured out that throwing money at publishers (hustling, bribing) for exclusivity, even for a limited time, is not good business. Examples would be Ace Combat 6, Katamari Damacy, Bioshock, and Lost Planet. All once "exclusive" to the 360, however, none of them sold well. A good example would be Gears of War, but that's my only example. The right decision would be to rely on first party games for exclusivity, not third party, exactly what Sony is doing.

Mirror's Edge E3 trailer:

I love the music!

More food for thought:
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/07/final-fantasy-1.html

LOS ANGELES –- Speaking through a translator, Final Fantasy XIII producer Yoshinori Kitase explained the company’s plans to bring the game to the Xbox 360 as an effort to “bring as much fun to as many people as possible.”

More pragmatically, he also mentioned that the change in the title's PlayStation 3 exclusivity was necessary due to “market situation for the Xbox 360 in the U.S. and Europe.”

Square Enix claims the game is still far too early in development to reveal (or even speculate at) a release date, though the company did reveal their current work schedule: First, the company will finish the Japanese PlayStation 3 version, which will then be localized for North America and Europe.

Once that’s completed, work will begin on the Xbox 360 version.

Though that would seemingly indicate a delayed release for the newly-announced port, Kitase emphasized Square Enix’s efforts to release the different versions nearly simultaneously.

“As for the timing between the U.S. and Europe, we will try to make it as close as possible. We’ll try to expedite localization,” he said.

Unfortunately, Square was unable to reveal how the storage disparity between the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3’s game discs would be dealt with.

He stressed the company’s goal to keep the two versions as similar as possible, however, saying “the content will be the same, though the format might be different.”

I still think the PS3 owners are sitting pretty on this one.

More food for thought:
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/07/final-fantasy-1.html

I still think the PS3 owners are sitting pretty on this one.

Finally some good news 👍

However I still see the 360 version pushing the release date of the game in NTSC and PAL very far back. The gap between the release of the game in Japan and North America is usually several months. Now it may be as much as a year due to the extra time spent porting the game to the 360. And even longer for PAL territories.

Now that I think about it, we may not see FFXIII for another 16 months. Late 2009 for NTSC and possibly 2010 for PAL. Or even 2010 for both.

Not a total disaster though. I can only hope it doesn't sell very well on the 360 and they go back to PS3 exclusive for other FF games.

And I am quite stupid for not seeing this coming from miles away. The game engine Square is using for FFXIII is called the White Engine. At first it was PS3 exclusive, then it was revealed that the engine had been changed so it could be multi format. I should have known that ever since they did that there was no way they would be able to use the PS3 to it's full. Did Microsoft make them go multiplatform with the white engine? Most likely. But that happened so long ago I should have been prepared for it by now. I'll have to do a better job of keeping my eyes open.

I really need some good news from Sony tommorrow.

If I were Sony, I would try to "convince" Square-Enix to release the PS3 version of FFXIII when it's done and not wait for the 360 version.

Dumbed Down Ported Final Fantasy XIII that only runs at 30fps on PS3 and 60fps on the 360 because Microsoft makes Square say the 360 is superior (Yeah right:rolleyes:) with exclusive Xbox 360 Add-On Content

ok i know alil late but first i saw this topic.

actualy since its been in development this whole time for the PS3 then that means it would be ported instead to the 360. they are way to far into development now to start rewriting the whole code for the 360 and port it to PS3. so instead the PS3 will get the normal version while 360 would get a bit jagged copy.

ok i know alil late but first i saw this topic.

actualy since its been in development this whole time for the PS3 then that means it would be ported instead to the 360. they are way to far into development now to start rewriting the whole code for the 360 and port it to PS3. so instead the PS3 will get the normal version while 360 would get a bit jagged copy.

Yes, and Square-Enix stated that the two versions would be identical content-wise.

Bad for Sony, but Square Enix needs money, anyway, I lost interest in FF XIII as soon as it becomes available on 360, just like Devil may cry 4, I won't be buying this game.

Mirror's Edge looks lousy to me.

Agreed, I'm just not wowed by it but I really didn't think I would. Sure the graphics are pretty but I think the game play will be less than thrilling.

Back