E3 2008 Videos and News

That shirt was too baggy!! Apart from that and the fact I had to pause it for about a half an hour and then lost the feed when it was over in real time I thought it was ok. Anything happen in the last hour that I might have missed?
Did he say that PS Life would be out at the end of the month?? And is the video download server available this side of the pond yet or do we have to wait another while?

I thought he (along with many others) were upset because GT TV was the only thing Gran Turismo-related despite GT wasn't actually confirmed to my knowledge to even be at E3.

I missed the whole press conference because I had to go out... does anyone know where I can watch it again...

From reading around it basically sounded like the Sony conference bombed... most of the stuff didnt really sound all that amazing.... no definate release date for home, no new GT stuff.... hmmm

I suppose the uber cheap PS3 was big news but apart from that seems kinda meh until I have a watch.

GOW3 doesnt interest me at all.... so there was basically nothing else new that we didnt already know. :indiff:

Robin

I missed the whole press conference because I had to go out... does anyone know where I can watch it again...

From reading around it basically sounded like the Sony conference bombed... most of the stuff didnt really sound all that amazing.... no definate release date for home, no new GT stuff.... hmmm

I suppose the uber cheap PS3 was big news but apart from that seems kinda meh until I have a watch.

GOW3 doesnt interest me at all.... so there was basically nothing else new that we didnt already know. :indiff:

Robin
They unveiled MAG, a PS3-exclusive shooter with support for 256 players online.

They unveiled MAG, a PS3-exclusive shooter with support for 256 players online.

Il have to check that out if I find a place to watch the conference, but ANOTHER shooter! how many does this system need!

ROAD_DOGG33J
The new Ratchet & Clank game will come to PSN for $14.99 if I heard correctly.

lol this is why i need to watch the thing!.... was there anything on Home at all?

Robin

Having been one that did actually watch the three presentations I can say I don't share your assessment. I too have read many very positive reactions to the presentations as well as the news and demos coming from the floor of the conference it self. I guess it really depends on if you were only interested in a specific game that didn't get much or any coverage in the presentations... or news you felt was really bad. Apparently some also seem to think the 1-2 hour presentations are E3 and nothing more, and appear to ignore the fact that the E3 conference is a good deal bigger than just the three presentations.

As far as the presentations and some of the E3 conference floor coverage goes, G4 has been repeating their broadcasts, and will likely be doing that throughout the week, and probably after the conference has ended as well.

In my opinion (I didn't watch the Nintendo one though), Microsoft's conference was best. They actually demostrated many of the games rather than just giving out details, or sneak peeks towards stuff which was basically most of the Sony conference. But at least the announcements were just as good. Home looks to be shaping out to be very detailed and sophisticated... but still no release date, just a guarantee that it'll be worth the wait. I won't be surprsied with the time they're putting into it.

Shame about the lack of GT5 stuff though, but it's not surprsing since PD are known to take their time with games and wouldn't rush stuff to be in time with the conference. Hopefully sometime this fall some information will come out on it or Prologue.

Bah, so what if Sony wasn't that great in others' opinions? I'm more interested in tomorrow with demos of Mercenaries, RE5, LittleBigPlanet, & L4D according to the schedule on the first page.

G.T
In my opinion (I didn't watch the Nintendo one though), Microsoft's conference was best. They actually demostrated many of the games rather than just giving out details, or sneak peeks towards stuff which was basically most of the Sony conference. But at least the announcements were just as good. Home looks to be shaping out to be very detailed and sophisticated... but still no release date, just a guarantee that it'll be worth the wait. I won't be surprsied with the time they're putting into it.

Shame about the lack of GT5 stuff though, but it's not surprsing since PD are known to take their time with games and wouldn't rush stuff to be in time with the conference. Hopefully sometime this fall some information will come out on it or Prologue.
Agreed. Nintendo's and Sony's conferences were pretty run-of-the-mill. Microsoft's, I thought, was well thought out. Microsoft's conferrence was the only one that really got me excited, and I don't even own an Xbox 360!

Nintendo's conference was pitiful. I believe Sony showed more games, even though not live demonstrations, but playable on the show floor.

G4 has been repeating their broadcasts, and will likely be doing that throughout the week, and probably after the conference has ended as well.

G4 and Gamespot will have streaming versions on their sites soon.

Yeah I can't wait! I would have thought it would be up staight away what with it being in the modern age and all but hey ho!

Robin

Nintendo's conference was pitiful. I believe Sony showed more games, even though not live demonstrations, but playable on the show floor.

I fell asleep about halfway into the Nintendo conference, but I thought what Nintendo showed was pretty alright. The new Wii Sports game looks fun, and the Wii Music game looks insanely cool.

Is that what Nintendo has been reduced to, making more mini games, more pieces of plastic?

Sony still has the best "casual" gaming experiences.

Is that what Nintendo has been reduced to, making more mini games, more pieces of plastic?

Sony still has the best "casual" gaming experiences.

Hey now, Nintendo surpassed my expectations. I didn't expect them to show games! ;)

Any word on weather the video downloads will be available in Europe tonight?
Overall I thought the conference was ok, dont see what people were expecting, and ofcourse MS had to make more of an effort, as far as I and most people see it they are the ones with a worrying long term outlook.

Oh, Nintendo doesn't make games anymore!

What ever happened to the Star Fox's, Pilotwings, and the F-Zero's?

G.T

I was also hoping for more GT5 news, but I actually preffered the fact that Sony focused on actually discussing the news, games and features rather than eat up the limited time allowed for each presentation with in-game footage that has already been shown and or is being shown at E3 and on G4's coverage, and on trailers posted on GameTrailers.

Howevere, if all I was able to look at is the presentations, then I would be disappointed, but thankfully G4 and GameTrailers are showing a ton of in-game footage as well as interviews with various developers and industry insiders. 👍

Good point... although that adds to the download times, but still, being able to delete and re-download content is not only a nice feature, but a must really for those with small HDD, or a lot of content, or who may need to restore content that was accidentally removed or corupted in any way.
Well, I found a 350GB drive on Newegg for $99 yesterday. I am considering an upgrade.

And I am now looking seriously at an 8GB or 16GB Memory Stick. Those prices cannot drop fast enough.

No. I was speaking in general terms, because only the PSN Movie download service supports PSP. However, as I noted, at least it appears the PSN service will offer the opportunity to take your movies with you... assuming you have a PSP though, which I do not. I do travel a lot, and so I use my DVDs a lot for traveling, especially when we travel with the kids. 👍
My wife got a portable DVD player that has video in/out ports (Sony) and combining that with my PS3 (using a couple of small third-party adapters) works well.

Personally, I just use the PSP screen in the car and prefer it overall because switching from movies to games to music is a matter of a couple of button pushes.

Quite true. That's something Apple is famous for, and by doing so helps limit all the fanboy hype and troll rants to a certain degree.
They did it with PAIN! back in the spring. The producer was at a show the day they rolled out the singleplayer FWE add-on for free and he actually had a reporter come up and ask him when they were going to add content to PAIN!. He looked at his watch and said, "Right now."

The PlayStation Store has been doing daily updates. Check there. They did (I think) the GDC presentation in its entirety. Or was it Leipzig, or TGS? Anyway, they have posted their entire presentation on the store in the past so I expect it to happen this time around.

Personally, I think the confirmation of definitive GTTV stuff coming was nice.

Il have to check that out if I find a place to watch the conference, but ANOTHER shooter! how many does this system need!
It's an American thing. We love our shooters. The 360 is just as bad.

So, I just watched a Live Blog, but from what I saw the things I like are (correct anything I misread from the Blog):

• Confirmed GTTV content of race footage, as well as more stuff, August 1st (Fall update? likely not).
  • Movie downloads - purchasable and works on PS3 and PSP.
  • Movies available TONIGHT
  • Resistance game for PSP
  • Patapon 2
  • Super Stardust Portable
  • Small Premier titles for PSN (R&C: Quest for Booty)
  • Ghostbusters Game - Am I the only one that thinks this looks freaking sweet?
And I am still holding out to see what I think about DC Universe Online. If done right this could be the game that gets me into an MMO. Having Jim Lee present it was a very nice touch.

Well, I found a 350GB drive on Newegg for $99 yesterday. I am considering an upgrade.

Sweet! I recently paid $130 w/Free Shipping for a Western Digital WD3200BEVT Scorpio 320GB HDD from NewEgg and thought that was a great deal at the time... and now I see it's selling for only $110... how quickly prices fall.

My wife got a portable DVD player that has video in/out ports (Sony) and combining that with my PS3 (using a couple of small third-party adapters) works well.

Personally, I just use the PSP screen in the car and prefer it overall because switching from movies to games to music is a matter of a couple of button pushes.

I've toyed around with possibly getting a PSP, but so far I haven't been motivated enough to get one. At least on my laptop I can watch HD content... I'm not sure how happy I'll be with the limited resolution of the PSP. When outputting it to a display, what is the native resolution of movies on UMD? Isn't it 480x272? If so, that's practically just 1/3 the resolution of DVD. :eek:

Sure, on a small screen and from a reasonably far distance it might not seem bad, but I can't imagine how that would look on a 15"-17" laptop display watching it from just a couple feet from the screen. :ouch:

It's an American thing. We love our shooters. The 360 is just as bad.

Indeed, and the fact that I am not one of those that particularly likes shooters I did not expect to find so many fun PSN games that are not shooters like:
  • Echochrome
  • Operation Creature Feature
  • Trials of Topoq
  • PixelJunk Monsters
  • PAIN
  • Snakeball
  • Fatal Inertia EX
  • Calling All Cars
  • GTHD
  • Toy Home
  • Go! Sports Ski
  • High Velocity Bowling
  • Go! Sports Sky Diving
  • GripShift
  • LocoRoco Cocoreccho!
  • Piyotama
  • Super Rub 'a' Dub
  • Go! Puzzle
  • Go! Sudoku
  • flOw
  • High Stakes Poker Edition
  • PixelJunk Racers
  • Lemmings
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Come to think of it, of the more than 40 PSN games, I think there are only about five shooter games:
  • Blast Factor
  • Cash Guns Chaos
  • Everyday Shooter
  • Nucleus
  • Super Stardust HD
Unless you also are counting games like Rocketmen: Axis Of Evil and Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3, but even so they hardly are a majority among all the other PSN games.

G.T
In my opinion (I didn't watch the Nintendo one though), Microsoft's conference was best.

I'd find that mostly agreeable, as they did demonstrate the most content, and certainly showed off some of the biggest changes to their platform. Their strongest point, at least in my opinion, was the addition of the Netflix player. That has me pretty excited, as I am an avid Netflix subscriber. Outside of that, more or less, its all about Rock Band 2 for me. But even then, that's multi-platform... I was looking for some Forza 3 announcements, but I see nothing has happened.

I'd say that Nintendo had me most-excited overall, but I suppose that is different for everyone. I don't own a Wii, but I really wish that I did now.

From what I saw from the Sony event, their presentation wasn't mind blowing, but they've definitely got some blockbuster titles coming down the pike in the coming months.

Sweet! I recently paid $130 w/Free Shipping for a Western Digital WD3200BEVT Scorpio 320GB HDD from NewEgg and thought that was a great deal at the time... and now I see it's selling for only $110... how quickly prices fall.
I had noticed that ads in my newspaper were having external Terabyte drives for the $200 range, so I just went and looked at internal 2.5" drives on a whim and saw that the prices had plummeted. After looking over the movie offerings on the PS Store last night I may need to upgrade. I still have some stuff to test and check first though.

I've toyed around with possibly getting a PSP, but so far I haven't been motivated enough to get one. At least on my laptop I can watch HD content... I'm not sure how happy I'll be with the limited resolution of the PSP. When outputting it to a display, what is the native resolution of movies on UMD? Isn't it 480x272? If so, that's practically just 1/3 the resolution of DVD. :eek:
For the record: I do not have a single movie on UMD. Most of mine are from DVDs I rip and convert. And yeah, if you are outputting it on a full-size HDTV it will look bad. But so far I have been using just an SDTV. It is a great portable device.

Although, I do wonder how these movie files will work for the PSP and output quality if you have an HD version.

Like I said, I still have questions on this.

Sure, on a small screen and from a reasonably far distance it might not seem bad, but I can't imagine how that would look on a 15"-17" laptop display watching it from just a couple feet from the screen. :ouch:
Some of mine looked fine on a hotel TV. That said, a lot of special effects do suffer some issues.

I am curious as to what it can output though, as some of the native disc games require a component output cable to play on a TV. This is something I haven't had an opportunity to experiment with yet, but once I get my HDTV I will give you a full rundown of how the output looks, and I will probably purchase a TV episode to experiment with the video service (and only risking $1.99).

Back