EA acquired Star Wars license

• Thread starter wicken
  • 19 comments
Portugal
Lisbon
LordWikii
BURBANK & REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) and Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced a new multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines.

Under the agreement, EA will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories.

“This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come,” said John Pleasants, Co-President of Disney Interactive. “Collaborating with one of the world’s premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to our fans around the world.”

“Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

Source

Hmmm, last I heard they were going to do an 'open' licence model which meant that pretty much any studio could do games under the Star Wars franchise which sounded like it could turn out to be a great idea (basically how it was before but with no Lucas Arts). Exclusive to EA means it will be limited to EA studios and depending on which ones they use it could go either way.

Well if this is true looks like there are going to be more "complaints" about EA.

Guess EA needs the money.

If I read the press release correctly: DICE, Visceral and Bioware are going to work on these games so I don't see that as a bad thing.

Yeah Battlefront using the Frostbite engine with Battlefield graphics would be amazing.

I wonder if EA will continue development on 1313.

Now waiting for the inevitable announcement that Criterion's "unannounced racing title" is actually the new Star Wars pod-racing game. Hey, it could happen, you know.

I just remembered that Criterion's Alex Ward did mention 'they were done with sequels, remakes and reboots'. Wouldn't doing a Star Wars pod-racer game be technically rebooting the Star Wars Racer series? If so, cross that and Criterion off the list.

Now waiting for the inevitable announcement that Criterion's "unannounced racing title" is actually the new Star Wars pod-racing game. Hey, it could happen, you know.

A pod racer game on a modern engine and graphics could be quite decent but there's not much scope for content seeing as it was only featured for like 15 mins in one film.

The original game on Dreamcast wasn't all that terrible.

A pod racer game on a modern engine and graphics could be quite decent but there's not much scope for content seeing as it was only featured for like 15 mins in one film.

The original game on Dreamcast wasn't all that terrible.

I really liked that one in the arcades.

I hope that EA makes Battlefront 3, even though I'm not sure how I feel about EA obtaining the license. Another game I'm looking forward to is Force Unleashed 3, even though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want EA making it. They left us at a cliffhanger on FU2 so we need an FU3. I think for FU3
Starkiller's clone should die and stay dead. Not to mention Darth Vader needs to get broken out.

I wasn't sure if the spoiler text was necessary as the game has been out for a while, but just for those who haven't played Force Unleashed 2 yet.

DICE doing Battlefront 3 can only be a good thing, regardless of what BF3 was in relation to BF2, DICE still make the best... Er, whatever genre BF3 is. Arma is a sim so that doesn't count. And Planetside 2 is an MMO, so there's that.

Visceral could do quite a good job of FU3 I think, but I should probably play the one I have before I commit to that opinion.

I would be VERY interested.
Wipeout HD is great but I need another futuristic racer.

Battlefront turned Battlefield could be awesome. Hand to hand lightsaber fights versus others would be sweet.

EA Renames Danger Close As DICE LA And Gives It Some Star Wars

The Sixth Axis
Danger Close has gone through a number of names since it was purchased (as DreamWorks Interactive) back in 2000. It was subsequently merged with EA Pacific and Westwood to become EA Los Angeles. Then it was finally renamed as Danger Close. Now it seems set for some expansion and another rebranding as DICE Los Angeles.

The studio is already expanding and hopes to add another 60 members of staff before the end of the year. They’ll be working on EA’s new Star Wars licenses, with many hoping for something along the lines of a Battlefront sequel.

Latest Posts

Back