• Thread starter Liquid
  • 54 comments

Liquid

Fission Mailed
Premium
Slovakia
Bratvegas
GTP_Liquid
When a song or just a part of a song gets stuck in your head and will not go away. It's not just whatever you happen to be listening to, it's something which bores into your mind and does not leave. Every moment of idleness and unoccupied business is instead taken over by the same song, the same beat, the same refrain, the same lyric or the same bridge. It can take days or even weeks to go away.

I am particularly prone to them and I'm wondering what gets stuck in other people's head. Sometimes it's things I like, sometimes it's things I don't like. Fortunately, I'm kicking this thread off with something I do like. Not the actual song, Africa, this specific synthesised piano cover. It's been in my head before, I love it, but it's been here for three straight days right now.

One supposed cure for earworms is to listen to whatever is in your head through until the end but this is absolute rubbish. I can listen to an earworm several times over (particularly painful if it's something I don't like) and it just won't leave my head.

Last edited:
A couple od weekends ago i found myself late-night channel hopping the music channels on Sky. Something i've not done for ages. Came across a noughties programme and this came on:

Hard To Beat by Hard-Fi. Not a group i particularly liked at the time and was largely indifferent to the song too. But was surprised how much i enjoyed hearing it again. It's getting on for 18 years old now and i've probably not heard the song or thought of the band in 17 years. But here i am, 10 days later, and Hard to Beat is now the soundtrack to my idle thoughts. Could be worse i guess and often is.

Today i have mostly been earwormed by Sweet Like Chocolate by... opens new google tab.... Shanks & Bigfoot.

I won't post a clip of it since its truely terrible. That's what you get when you randomly hear the word 'chocolate' i guess. :/

Last edited:
Been stuck listening to Origins by Pixel Terror for the last week
I don’t even like dubstep, I usually listen to rock or drum & bass

I'm quite prone to gameshow music and noises. Recently the Blockbusters theme has been quite catchy indeed.

Today i have mostly been earwormed by Sweet Like Chocolate by... opens new google tab.... Shanks & Bigfoot.

I won't post a clip of it since its truely terrible. That's what you get when you randomly hear the word 'chocolate' i guess. :/
I thought it was *truly great and bought the single when it came out because it was so catchy. It's a deserved number one in my eyes but the forum can decide for themselves...

Woke up this morning with the piano intro of Bryan Adams's Everything I Do looping over and over in my head. :indiff:

Last edited:
This song from near the beginning of the Chrono Trigger videogame was on permanent repeat in my head all morning. Posting this link has made it start up again, grr. Press play with extreme caution.

No need to press play. As soon as I saw the picture that bloody violin riff started up in my head with Captain Beefheart squawking over the top. Thanks, @TB.

At least it forced the previous earworm out of my mind's ear which was:

... and now it's started up again... :(

Last edited:
Pro wrestling themes are particularly dangerous for getting stuck in your brain like audio shrapnel. This one has been randomly starting up on me for the last week now and it really doesn't help that I know all the lyrics to it either.

Pro wrestling themes are particularly dangerous for getting stuck in your brain like audio shrapnel.
Agreed 100%. Many of them are on my gym playlist and they often just won't go away.

Weird earworm at this moment in time as, as far as i'm aware, it only exists in my head.

It's a mash up of Grounds For Divorce by Elbow (see below) but the lyrics are the first line from The Human League's Don't You Want Me. I imagine it was the word 'cocktail' in both songs that started my brain thinking along those lines.

Last edited:
The Jackson 5's "I Want You Back" has been stuck in my head for three days straight now. I'm sure the entire world knows how the record goes but just in case:

Last edited:
About a fortnight ago, someone at work mentioned their grand daughter's name was Karla, with a K. And I thought, that was a song by the Hooters that I hadn't thought about since it was out in the mid '80s.

Its been in my head ever since. I have the album on cassette but it somehow never made it to my CD or MP3 collection.

The Hooters' big hit was the equally catchy Satellite but Capital Radio DJ and future Who Wants To Be A Millionaire host Chris Tarrant used to play "Karla" all the time on his afternoon show around the time of its release.

Winter was such a downer this year I didn't even find out about the passing of UK sports presenter Dickie Davies until just now so my earworm decided to commemorate him in the most appropriate way possible by incessantly playing his damn theme tune in my head over and over again.

I hope this record doesn't infest your subconscious for the rest of the day, as it has mine.

I'm a bit late to the Hooters conversation but my, perhaps relevant, short story...

So there was me, in a pub, it was late. I'd walked into the bar area, and there was a dude playing the pub guitar. Because I was drunk, and am a bit of a nob, I shouted "stairway!". The guy stopped the little ditty he was playing, and said, okay, I'll play Stairway if you sing it. Immediately I was emboldened by the beer, and the fact I knew at least 3 words from the song. After a few short seconds, I conceded that the guitarist had successfully called me out, but urged him to play on, which he did. A short while later I was heaping praise upon the guitarists guitaring abilities. I already knew one of the guys at the bar had guitared for Ozzy, so putting two and nine squared together I asked him if he played for this other fella... he said 'nah' and then something like 'I was in the Hooters'.. to which I said something like "bollocks, play 'All you Zombies then'"... at which point he knocked out an acoustic acapella version of said song.

Somebody in the bar took a photo of me hugging the man, but I've never found it, and I've no idea if he was genuine or not.

Back