Easy to drift with controller, impossible with wheel

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Does anyone have this problem? I wasn't great at drifting on GT Sport but on GT7 I can't do it at all especially on the mission and licence challenges. With a controller it's super easy to control the car but with my G29 I cannot for the life of me drift AT ALL. Does anyone have any tips? :(

Does anyone have this problem? I wasn't great at drifting on GT Sport but on GT7 I can't do it at all especially on the mission and licence challenges. With a controller it's super easy to control the car but with my G29 I cannot for the life of me drift AT ALL. Does anyone have any tips? :(
Counter steer assist gets it closer to the controller, but I gave up and did the missions with the controller.

I think with the wheel you need to rotate it a lot to drift properly, taking your hands off the wheel to spin it around and all that. On pad you just flick the stick side to side and you're good.

Physics for drifting on GT7 are just bad mate, going to have to wait for them to come out with some fixes
I thought I might be alone with that thought...
Love the game, but would love drifting on a wheel to be easier...
If only they allowed wheel settings to be customised fully I could probably get around the physics with a reduced wheel rotation ... but it feels near impossible with a G923 wheel atm...

Which tag do you use for drifting in GTS? Road TAB or Drift TAB ?
The Drift TAB was eliminated in the GT7 and replaced by a "steering angle adapter" in the tuner,

Drift Difficulty Sort:
GT7 Steering Angle Adapter - OFF >> Hell Level
GTS Road TAB >> Difficult
GT7 Steering Angle Adapter-ON >> Simple
GTS Drift TAB >> Heaven

If you use Road TAB Drift in GTS
GT7 Steering Angle Adapter-OFF >> You'll feel like you're just a touch away from mastering, which can bring a sense of accomplishment.
GT7 Steering Angle Adapter-ON >> You will feel relaxed and happy.

If you are using Drift TAB Drift in GTS
GT7 Steering Angle Adapter-OFF >> You'll think what the heck this is.
GT7 Steering Angle Adapter - ON >> You'll be fine, but won't be able to drift at incredible angles like in the GTS.

Drifting is so hard even on controller for me.
Except when you put aid "counter steering strong" then it becomes somewhat easy but I didn't know that before so I spent 2 hours at least on the drift missions :banghead:

Replay

in the driving seat (Steering Angle Adapter - OFF)​

in the driving seat (Steering Angle Adapter - ON)​

Mate, you're already flicking the car and transitioning drifts, you don't need help lol.

EDIT: Ooops i thought you're op my bad.

Last edited:
I admit it, I'm very bad at drifting, so the missions are quite difficult for me.
I just managed to gold my first mission with the S15 over the weekend, but it took me an hour.
First I tried a steering wheel.. with and without tools.. it was a disaster. Then I tested it with the controller on my PS4, which sometimes worked much better, but I noticed that the steering in the game doesn't even begin to do what I do with the controller, especially not in terms of speed. That's why I finally feel that driving with the PAD is a kind of fake!
Then I thought about changing something... and that's when I had the idea of experimenting with the steering angles of my wheel. I set the steering angle to 270 degrees and already in the 3rd attempt I achieved gold. So I think that's a good way to get by... maybe you could reduce the steering angle even further in order to provoke a steering movement even faster and more directly.

Last edited:
I admit it, I'm very bad at drifting, so the missions are quite difficult for me.
I just managed to gold my first mission with the S15 over the weekend, but it took me an hour.
First I tried a steering wheel.. with and without tools.. it was a disaster. Then I tested it with the controller on my PS4, which sometimes worked much better, but I noticed that the steering in the game doesn't even begin to do what I do with the controller, especially not in terms of speed. That's why I finally feel that driving with the PAD is a kind of fake!
Then I thought about changing something... and that's when I had the idea of experimenting with the steering angles of my wheel. I set the steering angle to 270 degrees and already in the 3rd attempt I achieved gold. So I think that's a good way to get by... maybe you could reduce the steering angle even further in order to provoke a steering movement even faster and more directly.
I had that same thought today, just ran out of time to try it. I am in the exact same boat as you, barely golded the first one after like 30min or so.

What other settings should I be using: in-game Max Torque, Steering Sensitivity, Brake Balance, Fanatec wheelbase settings, etc. to make it as easy as possible? Thx in advance, the drift events are the only ones I have left to gold in the game outside of about 10 races I skipped in the Cafe Menus.

Jerome

Last edited:
As I said, I'm quite a beginner in drifting and really not that good. It's enough for me if I get the tasks on gold and even that annoys me a lot.
I just don't like this unstable driving condition, or rather I'm too stupid to master it properly. As I said, I reduce the steering angle of the bike to 270°, so I need less movement on the bike to steer in the game when drifting.
I tried desperately to test the Mustang last week, but there was no way I could even get silver. I then read somewhere that the wrong tires were also fitted to the car.
Last week you should be able to do this task in Daytona on RH tires, apparently it was a worse tire with less grip before the first patch. So I tried again tonight. Now it's KM tires which is an extreme difference on the Mustang.

After some trial and error, I found out that it is easiest not to drive into the drift area at high speed at all.
Even before the beginning of the zone, I initiated a gentle drift looking to the right... Then I activated the braking zone to get a better feeling for when I should slow down the drift.
I managed that well and very carefully with little steering and gas + brakes let the car glide around the curve.. after the curve a little more gas and the car went nicely across the line.

Here, too, I had activated the countersteering assistant, I don't know whether I would have managed without it, but I don't really want to test it either...

It helped me a lot to shift the brake balance further back, which I felt allowed at least 2 things. On the one hand, the front tires were not immediately overstrained by braking too hard, on the other hand, I was able to keep the rear at an angle that was comfortable for me when drifting using the brakes and gas.

I'm sure the drift pros here will laugh at how I do it, but I have gold and that's all I care about.

I hope I was able to help you and others to make it too.

The tire are really important, they need to have the perfect balance depending of your torque and your power

Check if your car is not too low, being too low will reduce a lot the steering angle, one fix could be stiffening all the suspension, if that doesn't work start getting the cars higher

Steering angle adapter and lsd are important too
Having a turbo is a good idea but only the low and mid rpm one

getting the sequential gearbox can help too if you struggle with manual

Lol I was also garbage on the wheel for drifting. Like the beginner drifting mission challenge I could barely eek out a silver on the wheel. Switched to controller and immediately golded it with a huge margin. I’ll probably try counter steer assist next to see if I can actually make it work.

Replay

in the driving seat (Steering Angle Adapter - OFF)​

in the driving seat (Steering Angle Adapter - ON)​

Well…. From where I’m sitting this guy drives like an absolute god, but he’s showing that it’s possible if I simply stop sucking and that the physics aren’t broken like some claim.

I sat down with a controller on a whim today to see if I could do these last two drift events. And much to my surprise I did them both in about 30minutes :lol: It's so impossible on a wheel #whatajoke What doesn't make sense to me is the rally with a wheel is super easy 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, I've 'golded' the game (to date - still no legendary cars, booo) and here are the settings I used to gold them:
- X and [ ] for gas/brake
- Auto Transmission
- Brake Balance: +5
- Controller Sensitive Steering: 7
- ASM: On
- Countersteering Assist: Off
HTH!

Jerome

Running a G29 as well. It really doesn't feel like the steering angle adapter does anything, you still need to rotate the wheel all the way to the left/right to counter-steer effectively, whereas on controller you just slam the stick left/right and immediately max out the steering angle.

There really are no settings which make this better for the G29 huh? Because I'm pretty sure the only way to actually adjust steering angle on the G29 (lowering it from 360 to 270 or whatever) is through GHUB on PC, unless there are some settings on PS5 that I'm unaware of. Also just letting go of the wheel and letting it spin to counter-steer doesn't really work because the wheel doesn't spin anywhere near as quickly as it would irl.

If I am doing something severely wrong please let me know, part of the reason I got a wheel for this game was to drift eventually and it kinda seems like it won't be possible for a while.

I used to be a fairly decent drifter on GT Sport with my wheel (T-GT), I could get nice angle and drift lap after lap of Suzuka East for example without much worries, but yeah on this game it just aint happening for the most part.

Ive yet to do a drift build for the ZL1 1LE though which was my main drift car on Sport, but driving around with a stock version of it on sport tyres seems promising though, when the back end comes out it doesn't just turn to ice on the rear when it passes a certain angle like many of the JDM cars ive tried, so we will see.

I was stuck as well and ended up lowering the wheels rotation to 1 flash of the green light i think that's 180deg but had to do it every time i restarted. Does the g29 have a similar option? i use a t300

I'm using a wheel here. Obviously going for a wild driving style over fast lap times but still managed to control every drift.

Plug your wheel into a PC & change the wheel rotation down to 270 degrees. The std 900 or 1080 degrees makes it almost impossible to drift with.
The only problem is problem having to change the wheel rotation back & forth for racing or drifting which is why I just pick up a controller for drifting it's much less hassle.

Last edited:
Plug your wheel into a PC & change the wheel rotation down to 270 degrees. The std 900 or 1080 degrees makes it almost impossible to drift with.
The only problem is problem having to change the wheel rotation back & forth for racing or drifting which is why I just pick up a controller for drifting it's much less hassle.
Oh so if you adjust the rotation degrees on PC the changes will carry over to console usage? I didn't realize that if so, will try it out later with the G29.

While this is true, GT7 and to a lesser extent GTS have this no-slip-angle problem. You either have full grip or you're spinning uncontrollably.

Back